Russia's at it again

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's limiting the powers of the presidency because he's preparing to step down from the Presidency and allow someone else to take the role as per the constitution. He's moving all the powers of the presidency over to the Prime Minister in preparation for him taking over that role in 2024 when he steps down. He's not conceding any power, he's just changing job title.
100%. It’s all a charade to allow him to shift over to PM in a few years - this time with more power after the roles of President and PM are inverted. Pretty easy to see this coming a mile away.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
100%. It’s all a charade to allow him to shift over to PM in a few years - this time with more power after the roles of President and PM are inverted. Pretty easy to see this coming a mile away.
This. Think it's a bit ironic Hanks is accusing people being sensationalistic about this when he doesn't even seem to recognize the game Putin has played shuffling between President and PM to get around the term limit.

Nucks

RT History Department
Is the point. Your perspective is just that, a perspective. As great as FDR was he completely failed to comprehend the actual situation in Europe after the war. The eastern block was dominated by the Soviet Union either through fear, or direct hard power means. None of the parties were innocent, but I know who I see as the better part there, and it isn’t the same as you apparently.

In your initial post you mentioned the Greek civil war as well, without having time to check at this moment I’m pretty sure Greece was decided to be a British sphere through the percentages deal agreed by Stalin himself, so no agreement was broken there.
Yes, that is kind of, exactly the point regarding the Greek civil war. According to Churchill, Stalin kept ALL of his promises. What did the W.Allies do? They did not live up to their side of the bargain. Truman yanked the aid Stalin had been promised in the post war phase. Western Germany was not demilitarized, or de-industrialized. It had a pro-western government instated. Many of the agreements made at Potsdam, were straight up violated almost immediately by the Western Allies.

The Soviet position in the immediate post war years was almost entirely reactionary. This isn't a debate. This is historical fact, and historical record. The Soviet Union was devastated by the war, and they were not looking to mix it up with anyone. They were also terrified of a renewed invasion from the West, almost immediately. From Patton agitating, to Churchill asking his generals to game theory "Unthinkable". How serious did they take the threat? The real question is, could they afford to not take it seriously enough?

I also see that some butthurt cry tit, changed my tag to "RT History Department". That's pretty fecking offensive to someone who has as an extensive education in history as I do. I welcome any of you fellas to come at me with credentials. I can back all of this up with non-biased primary source information. You're all going by your 7th grade history books written in the 1950's and 60's I guess. I stand on the side of actual historical truth insofar as we understand it, it just so happens that the vast majority of the god awful history passed off on these forums, is from the 1950's, and slanted so hilariously one way that I can't in good faith not comment when I see it.

Handré1990

Yes, that is kind of, exactly the point regarding the Greek civil war. According to Churchill, Stalin kept ALL of his promises. What did the W.Allies do? They did not live up to their side of the bargain. Truman yanked the aid Stalin had been promised in the post war phase. Western Germany was not demilitarized, or de-industrialized. It had a pro-western government instated. Many of the agreements made at Potsdam, were straight up violated almost immediately by the Western Allies.

The Soviet position in the immediate post war years was almost entirely reactionary. This isn't a debate. This is historical fact, and historical record. The Soviet Union was devastated by the war, and they were not looking to mix it up with anyone. They were also terrified of a renewed invasion from the West, almost immediately. From Patton agitating, to Churchill asking his generals to game theory "Unthinkable". How serious did they take the threat? The real question is, could they afford to not take it seriously enough?

I also see that some butthurt cry tit, changed my tag to "RT History Department". That's pretty fecking offensive to someone who has as an extensive education in history as I do. I welcome any of you fellas to come at me with credentials. I can back all of this up with non-biased primary source information. You're all going by your 7th grade history books written in the 1950's and 60's I guess. I stand on the side of actual historical truth insofar as we understand it, it just so happens that the vast majority of the god awful history passed off on these forums, is from the 1950's, and slanted so hilariously one way that I can't in good faith not comment when I see it.
I have a master’s degree in history, and teach the stuff. Not the highest summit of course, but I’m not a total novice. You absolutely fail by calling it actual historical truth though, there’s no such thing. Unbiased primary sources are also just theoretical as they don’t exist! I’d love to know some of them though? Always happy to be educated.

Why the feck would Truman give aid when it was clear the Soviets would never agree to the terms and conditions? I disagreed with your view that the Soviets were only reactionary in their actions, now you wrote almost, which is closer to the truth imo.

Foxbatt

There was a plan to attack the Soviets after the World War ended. It was called Operation Unthinkable. It was shelved when the British COS found out that it was not possible to win due to the numerical superiority of the Soviets in Eastern Europe. The US then planned on a nuclear attack on Moscow and other important industrial cities. It was called Dropshot. However the Soviets themselves conducted a nuclear test in 1949 stunned the Americans and it was only when Kennedy took over that he changed the SIOP to stop this grand aggression. It looks like it is back now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hasn't the guy been dancing around their rules anyway?
It’s a weird one. Its almost farcical how he has manipulated the constitution rather than just entirely disregard it but in some ways it’s been necessary because at the end of the day it’s where he draws his power from.

It’s a similar situation in America right now. The Republicans call themselves constitutionalists however they act entirely unconstitutionally. They will never disregard the constitution though because they have much more power manipulating it to their advantage.

Don't Kill Bill

He can't afford to give up power.

If anyone runs against him their lives will be ruined, so at this point he becomes absolute dictator for life.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
At this point he'll end up the longest ruler of Russia post monarchy, I think. Last time I was in Russia (January, February) I noticed a significant shift in my mates' stance on Putin. They're becoming increasingly agitated that he's doing feck all domestically. On russian social media, there is a sense of hopelessness in democracy and fair elections. Anyway, that's the feeling I got recently.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's really amazing, isn't it?
He even argued that he agreed with this decision because of the recent economic instability (Russia left OPEC and the ruble took a huge hit... again). In no way he is responsible for it, of course.

RedChip

He is a mafia don: retirement is dangerous for him.

Don't think there is a lot ordinary Russians can do about it. Thread title should be "Putin is at it again".

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
i don't think we'll ever be able to fully judge Putin/Russia if we based our whole knowledge of the issue from the Western Media.

It's not about whether Putin is good / bad for me, it's whether I can fully trust what the west wrote about him.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
i don't think we'll ever be able to fully judge Putin/Russia if we based our whole knowledge of the issue from the Western Media.

It's not about whether Putin is good / bad for me, it's whether I can fully trust what the west wrote about him.
I fully trust what the west write about him. The Russians love him though.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Yeah, it is a bit difficult to get an different perspective from independent Russian journalists when they’re in prison or have been silenced.

GiddyUp

Good little boy.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
i don't, the west has no qualms lying to their own subject, let alone the common enemy Russia
I have a Russian friend who pretty much confirms all my fears that pretty much what the west say is very true. He loves him ( Putin ) and hopes he can stay in power for the rest of his life regardless of what he does.

Paxi

Say what you want about Vladimir but he also brought up some brilliant points. He was actually fine with joining NATO. Why not take Russia into a fold? NATO is a bizarre concept anyway since it doesn’t really matter as Russia would absolutely hammer through Eastern Europe as it was nothing. Not that it would happen though... it would most likely be tactical nuclear weapons so yeh..

Paxi

I find it boring that we’re taking about something that we don’t understand. We try our luck at football but at geopolitical scale where a wrong move can have consequences hitherto unknown and yet we’re all at like some fecking grand masters. Okays then.

Foxbatt

I find it boring that we’re taking about something that we don’t understand. We try our luck at football but at geopolitical scale where a wrong move can have consequences hitherto unknown and yet we’re all at like some fecking grand masters. Okays then.
Spot on. Many comment without even going to Russia and not understanding the language or the country.
Russians who have lived under Yeltsin know how bad things were. Putin has put a stop to that and improve the lives a lot.
As another op said he wanted to join NATO and bill Clinton had no problems but the administration stopped it.
The Americans look down on the Russians and don't respect them at all and the bombings in Serbia and Libya was the final screw for Putin.
Compared to the Americans and NATO, the Russians don't invade or bomb countries.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Spot on. Many comment without even going to Russia and not understanding the language or the country.
Russians who have lived under Yeltsin know how bad things were. Putin has put a stop to that and improve the lives a lot.
As another op said he wanted to join NATO and bill Clinton had no problems but the administration stopped it.
The Americans look down on the Russians and don't respect them at all and the bombings in Serbia and Libya was the final screw for Putin.
Compared to the Americans and NATO, the Russians don't invade or bomb countries.
You're being very kind to Putin here. Over the past 20 years he has invaded Georgia, Ukraine (in the process stealing part of the country), engaged in a protracted frozen conflict in Transnistria, sent troops into Ingushetia, and interfered in elections in another dozen or so countries across Europe and beyond. All the while running what is ostensibly a mafia state that crushes dissent from within while a vast majority of the nation's wealth got coopted by Putin and his goons. If you want to see what an organized crime syndicate masquerading as a nation state with nukes would look like, then look no further than Putin's Russia.

Don't Kill Bill

You're being very kind to Putin here. Over the past 20 years he has invaded Georgia, Ukraine (in the process stealing part of the country), engaged in a protracted frozen conflict in Transnistria, sent troops into Ingushetia, and interfered in elections in another dozen or so countries across Europe and beyond. All the while running what is ostensibly a mafia state that crushes dissent from within while a vast majority of the nation's wealth got coopted by Putin and his goons. If you want to see what an organized crime syndicate masquerading as a nation state with nukes would look like, then look no further than Putin's Russia.
That list hasn't included releasing deadly chemical weapons for no good reason, inside a country you are not even at war with. Seizing power for life is a dead give away as to the direction of travel and when he dies the power vacuum will be enormous. How will anyone ever be removed from power in Russia now? He has trashed the limited and imperfect democratic reforms to ape a tsarist system.

Its just sad really.