Ruud Van Nistelrooy appreciation thread

barmyarmy

He set the bar so high during his time at our club all our other strikers look cut below his level till date.

Eric Edwards

He scored such a variety of goals and always looked dangerous.
Did he have a 'weak' foot?
Certainly the most prolific and clinical striker I have seen play for United.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Think Ruud is more appreciated outside of Holland. Most people here agree he's a great goal scorer, but see him as nothing more than a poacher. Underrated here imho.

Though in Holland we also think RVP is an overrated bottler even though he's our all time top scorer. We're an ungrateful lot :)
The gods are punishing you with Jansen and Depay for your lack of gratitude.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Probably my favourite United striker.

My first game at OT was the Fulham game where he scored that wonderful goal as part of a great hat trick. I had his name on the back of my shirt so obviously I contributed.

He just scored and scored and scored.

Bit of a bastard too which helped.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
You just knew that if he received the ball in the box it would be a goal.

An absolute beast in the box and one of my favourite ever United players. Ruuuuuuuuud!!

Home&Away

What I really miss is the supporters chant in the stadium when he scored

"Ruuuuuuuuuud"

It felt so cold & clinical just like his finishing whilst sounding like you were "boo-ing" the rivals team off the pitch.

ricky-romeo

makes finishing look so cool

the moment SAF sold Stam and replaced him with an ageing Blanc our 2001/02 season was always going to be about scoring more than the opposition to win games. cost us the league and probably even the CL that year.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I am talking from a pure icon/legend status. He was at one time the face of Man United or am I just fantasizing the past too much?

Stadjer

As a Dutch person i started to follow English football and became a United fan becauae of him.

Hated the way he left though

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As a Dutch person i started to follow English football and became a United fan becauae of him.

Hated the way he left though
It was a sad way to watch him leave as he still had a few years of top football in him. Would've been better to keep him than say...lease Tevez for two years.

ricky-romeo

I think he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I am talking from a pure icon/legend status. He was at one time the face of Man United or am I just fantasizing the past too much?
alongside Becks he was the main face of United for a few years (2001-2004 i reckon), before Rooney and Ronaldo took over the mantle.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looking back at some of the goals, his run against Fulham was really out of this world. Very rare to see something like that these days. His run towards Arsenal's goal (blue kit) was also spectacular.

Skubah

My favourite ever player. Was my first "Idol" so to speak and its because of him that I am a United fan. We have had many strikers since he left but none as good as him in a pure goal scoring sense. What a player and a true icon of the game. Thanks for the fond memories Ruud!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
One of the least frustrating strikers to ever play? I think so. Perhaps my memories of him are a bit cloudy, and I'm forgetting about the lesser moments but I don't seem to recall nearly as much moments with RvN as our other strikers of the past where I thought to myself : why??? Always seemed to find the easiest way to knick a goal.

robinzx

What I really miss is the supporters chant in the stadium when he scored

"Ruuuuuuuuuud"

It felt so cold & clinical just like his finishing whilst sounding like you were "boo-ing" the rivals team off the pitch.
Think there was an interview somewhere where he said at first he thought they were boo-ing him. :lol:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He was a lethal finisher, probably the best I've seen at this club in terms of finishing. He literally came alive in the box. And those penalty kicks; every keeper knew where he was going to put it, but none could save it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just watched some of his Madrid goals, seems to have hit a few more spectacular ones over there.

SirMattBugsby

Looking back at some of the goals, his run against Fulham was really out of this world. Very rare to see something like that these days. His run towards Arsenal's goal (blue kit) was also spectacular.
Would you say Morata's goal against Stoke was similar to the Fulham one, especially the finish? Ruud's was better but watching Morata there immediately reminded me of it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would you say Morata's goal against Stoke was similar to the Fulham one, especially the finish? Ruud's was better but watching Morata there immediately reminded me of it.
I'd say Morata's goal yesterday was a hybrid of Ruud's goal against Fulham and Ruud's away goal v Arsenal (blue kit). See for yourself.

SirMattBugsby

I'd say Morata's goal yesterday was a hybrid of Ruud's goal against Fulham and Ruud's away goal v Arsenal (blue kit). See for yourself.
That's it! But yes, Ruud's finishing move vs Fulham is a cut above. Economical in movement, effective yet classy :drool:

TheReligion

Abusive
Apparently got moved for upsetting Ronaldo amongst other things. Told him he'd got a new father in Quieroz not long after his dad died. Bit of a twat thing to say if true.

Dobbs

Awesome striker.

Seemed to age quite rapidly though. By the end of his time here he'd physically dropped a level. Remember going to one of his latter games and his movement had dried up.

manutddjw

The Ronaldo story has been floated around a lot. I forgot whose book it was either Sir Alex's or Gary Neville's, but basically the story was Carlos Queiroz was extremely protective of Ronaldo and it rubbed some of the players the wrong way. One day there was a dispute in training between Ronaldo and Ruud and Ruud told him "go run and tell your daddy". Everyone acknowledges that he meant Carlos Queiroz, but still it was poor timing considering.

Solo Toure

My favourite United striker.

Absolute goal machine, used to love his battle for supremacy with Henry, two amazing and lethal strikers. The Messi and Ronaldo of the league at that time.

Ruuuuuuuuuuud.

Foxbatt

The Ronaldo story has been floated around a lot. I forgot whose book it was either Sir Alex's or Gary Neville's, but basically the story was Carlos Queiroz was extremely protective of Ronaldo and it rubbed some of the players the wrong way. One day there was a dispute in training between Ronaldo and Ruud and Ruud told him "go run and tell your daddy". Everyone acknowledges that he meant Carlos Queiroz, but still it was poor timing considering.
I think then Carlos told him to show some respect and Ruud said that he does not respect anyone at the club. This is where the whole thing went pear shaped and Fergie got rid of him. It was the right decision at the right time too.

Dolf

Will be the new head coach of PSV under 19. To manage united in 15 years time? :keano:

My favourite United player ever, I think.
Same here. He was on top of his game when I was really getting into football and Man Utd. He was the only player I talked about, while furiously arguing with Arsenal fans that Ruud > Henry (which is not true unfortunately :lol:)

But what a player he was. Glad he won the La Liga with Real too when he moved on.

Stretford kev

Best natural finisher I've seen at the club.

One on one with the keeper And I would have put my mortgage on him scoring.

Met him once in the trafford centre,a lovely bloke.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
RuudRuudRuudRuudRuudRuudRuudRuud

One of my favourites of all time. His first two seasons were insane.