Ruud van Nistelrooy

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I never took to Ruud to be honest, his record was amazing but I wasn't sad to see him leave, Saha did a great job of replacing him till his injuries struck again and Tevez has been fantastic. Coincidence or not our performances drastically improved when was started leaving him out and after we sold him, so I wouldn't want him back regardless of the goals. (And some of the things he said when he first went to Madrid pissed me off.)
In all fairness Ruud played in a fairly lacklustre team for a large part of the time, with Solsjkaer as a regular winger, Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba getting more than enough chances, Giggs under performing and Keane starting to wind down, without him we might have finished outside the top four once or twice.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Loved him.

The goal where Rooney ran the ball down the pitch, and Ruud almost broke the net was beautiful
Aye, the Charlton goal. I believe he also scored from outside the area in that game! :D

biggest big game bottler if ever there was one. 2 goals in open play from 5 seasons against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal.
What?! You've just completely neglected his phenomenal Champions League record. We would not be where we are today without him due to the fact that him and Rooney pretty much dragged us through our period of transition.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
One of my favourite ever goals

What a fookin player that man was. Loved him to bits. Also I can still see clearly that goal against Fenerbache after Rooneys debut hat trick. It was if he was saying 'you may be the new kid, but I'm still the king' What a partnership Ruud and Rooney could have been

:drool:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Why would he drop him? I think there was that Ronaldo incident. . .but I'm sure he was dropped a season before that.
I dunno. Ruud said himself it was the Carling Cup final that really hurt him, though it was clearly a problem before that, but earlier in the same season Fergie would harp on about Ruud sticking around for another five years, so I'd guess the real problem didn't develop until at some point during that season.

I also remember Fergie after the sale saying Ruud kept handing in transfer requests, even after the FA Cup final with the Arse, but it sounded painfully made up, even at the time.

PS18

Comfortably my favourite ever player, total class act and frankly I dread to think where we would have finished without us in those bad years. Totally sided with him in the row with Fergie, had I contributed all he had to the club and had to watch as SAF brought on Richardson ahead of me in a cup final then I'd have told Fergie to stick it as well.

So unfortunate that he joined us as one great team was ending and left as the other was getting together, but he's undoubtedly a legend in my book.

His interview in the United magazine the other month was class too.

SmashedHombre

I dunno. Ruud said himself it was the Carling Cup final that really hurt him, though it was clearly a problem before that, but earlier in the same season Fergie would harp on about Ruud sticking around for another five years, so I'd guess the real problem didn't develop until at some point during that season.

I also remember Fergie after the sale saying Ruud kept handing in transfer requests, even after the FA Cup final with the Arse, but it sounded painfully made up, even at the time.
Ruud should have played in that final

KingEric7

One of my favourite ever goals

What a fookin player that man was. Loved him to bits. Also I can still see clearly that goal against Fenerbache after Rooneys debut hat trick. It was if he was saying 'you may be the new kid, but I'm still the king' What a partnership Ruud and Rooney could have been

:drool:
Does this look like a player that would have limited our style of play? :smirk:

Merman

Aye, the Charlton goal. I believe he also scored from outside the area in that game! :D

What?! You've just completely neglected his phenomenal Champions League record. We would not be where we are today without him due to the fact that him and Rooney pretty much dragged us through our period of transition.

I want my Rooney back:mad:

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
He's phenomenal, love the goal he scored against Bolton on the opening day of the 03/04 season, Ronaldo's debut, he'd missed a penalty and a header from 5 yards and got one more chance from a Forlan flick, he hammered it so hard he would have driven Jaskelinan into the net if he'd got in the way.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
They way he finished that run, with a controlled shot in one swift movement was top draw.

SmashedHombre

Does this look like a player that would have limited our style of play? :smirk:
Thats just the standard rhetoric people like to use to try and justify the selling of Ruud. How people can say it as if its known fact is beyond me. I honestly think he would still be superb in our team. Incidentally that second video shows why Rooney needs to be playing behind a Ruud like striker. Just a magical goal all round that shows perfectly the best talents of the two of them

KingEric7

If Van Nistelrooy played in this team, i think the treble team may well have been beaten. We'd have none of this nonsense with Rooney on the left wing and we'd have someone that good to provide for.

I've no idea how that stupid myth has spread in such a fashion. People make him sound like Inzaghi.

CantonaVeron

I never took to Ruud to be honest, his record was amazing but I wasn't sad to see him leave, Saha did a great job of replacing him till his injuries struck again and Tevez has been fantastic. Coincidence or not our performances drastically improved when was started leaving him out and after we sold him, so I wouldn't want him back regardless of the goals. (And some of the things he said when he first went to Madrid pissed me off.)
To be fair he was always going to have a tough job winning over you with him replacing your favorite player.

Ruud was a top class centre forward, one of the best we have ever had and would do well in the current team contrary to what people say. He has continued his goal scoring for Real Madrid and will finish with 3 or 4 league medals that his career deserves. Obvoiusly he left under a bit of a cloud but overall when you look what he did while he was here I think he should be remembered in a positive light.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Arguably our best striker ever, it's sad he did not finish his career here however I didn't like the type of striker he was nor the football when he was around.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
One of the reasons why I support Holland. Always loved him:

One of the main reasons why I'm supporting Holland this time (other being VDS and England's absence). I've always liked him.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
that goal against charlton was amazing, great run by rooney, perfect cross, great control and then bang he rips the back of the fecking net off. classic ruud.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
people seem to forget that we played much better because a dozen other reasons other than ruud leaving. ronaldo stepped it up 2 notches, vidic and evra settled in nicely and had awesome seasons, we had scholes and carrick who played consistently as a midfield pairing instead of o'shea/giggs/smith we used to play for most of the season, giggs was playing like he went back in time a few years, vds was a steady force at the back. we weren't very mobile because we had crap or over-the-hill players around him, yet he still delivered the goods with what little quality he had to work with.

KingEric7

people seem to forget that we played much better because a dozen other reasons other than ruud leaving. ronaldo stepped it up 2 notches, vidic and evra settled in nicely and had awesome seasons, we had scholes and carrick who played consistently as a midfield pairing instead of o'shea/giggs/smith we used to play for most of the season, giggs was playing like he went back in time a few years, vds was a steady force at the back. we weren't very mobile because we had crap or over-the-hill players around him, yet he still delivered the goods with what little quality he had to work with.
Exactly. May aswell repost this because it's getting at the same sort of thing.

I think a few things need to be straightened out here in this thread. The team did not improve BECAUSE Ruud Van Nistelrooy went to Madrid. The team improved because of the following:

• Ronaldo realised how good he was and went on to have an absolutely brilliant season. It is debatable whether this was because he was no longer restrained by Van Nistelrooy.
  • Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic established themselves as absolutely first class players. This was nothing to do with Van Nistelrooy's departure.
  • Michael Carrick was bought and slotted into our midfield wonderfully.
  • Paul Scholes came back from injury and gave us the midfield we'd been lacking for years.
  • Louis Saha started the first half of the season like a man possessed. Van Nistelrooy's departure enabled him to play but we could've done with him in the team once Saha picked up his routine injury.
  • Giggs was a completely different player and had a brilliant season. This was nothing to do with Van Nistelrooy.

A lot of things went right last year all at once. It's bizarre to say that last year occurred because of RVN's departure. The mistake people in this thread are making is that he stopped our play from flowing. This is bollocks. People seem to be under the impression that he was an Inzaghi type player who scored tap ins and nothing else. Van Nistelrooy's control was absolutely top notch and i mean fecking brilliant. His composure was something else and his abilty to head a ball and hold a ball up was also brilliant. He could also pick out a pass when necessary even if his position on the field somewhat limited the amount of times he did this.

Madrid are currently playing wonderful football and they also won the league last season in Van Nistelrooy's first year. I cannot imagine what he would've done in this team we have now as opposed to the team he was carrying a few years back. Obviously keeping him was almost impossible due to the breakdown in relations between him and Ferguson so you can't really say it was bad judgement on the part of the management. He had to go which was a shame for both parties.

neno

We would have not been in the final or anywere near it with Ruud in our side.

Class player and was immense for us, but when he left we went back to our old style of football, fast interchanging. With Ruud we were restricted.

This is not a dig at Ruud, but him moving was for the best IMO.
All those headers that nani missed against barca ruud would have netted them in. The clear chnaces against cech that giggs and tevez had ruud would have also def. putted them in. Im not sayong that van nistelrooy would have been in the same exact situation as those 2 but if he where he probably would have scored.

I mean Ruud wasnt the same anymore but he was still much better than Saha. In 06/07 we did much better for other reasons. Ruud still finished 2nd top goalscorer in the league before he left and he didnt play like 10 games if i remember correctly.

Slevin

All those headers that nani missed against barca ruud would have netted them in. The clear chnaces against cech that giggs and tevez had ruud would have also def. putted them in. Im not sayong that van nistelrooy would have been in the same exact situation as those 2 but if he where he probably would have scored.

I mean Ruud wasnt the same anymore but he was still much better than Saha. In 06/07 we did much better for other reasons. Ruud still finished 2nd top goalscorer in the league before he left and he didnt play like 10 games if i remember correctly.
Shut up.

You can't say he would have def netted all those. If so, basically, every shot he takes he must score. I've seen him miss a few sitters in the past I am sure.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Loved him. Still have a soft spot for him. What a player he was.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Anyone who thinks he'd have disrupted or slowed our play needs to watch some of the games during his last season, when he was paired with Rooney. They made a superb partnership, and he didn't slow us down at all. A lot of the time he'd be the one to play the pass that set us away. The problem was that at the time, none of our wingers (Ronaldo included) showed any kind of form, and our midfield was shot to pieces. It took until the end of October before anyone other than Ruud or Rooney managed to muster up a single league goal.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
For sometime his shit didn't stink THEN he grew bigger and bigger. Now that we know that he twice asked for transfers to Real even before he fell out with Fergie, I see him as just another goalscorer.

I have more time for Andy Cole than I have for Ruud

francobaresi

Great player, but will never go down in United folklore

Same for Ronaldo, if he goes

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
5 years, 150 goals in 201 games and record goalscorer in European football, he's a legend.
Ruuuuuuuuuuuud!
Loved him.

Btw, how fricking good was Rooney in that goal above.

Fergies Formula

To be fair its bullshit that he wouldn't fit into our team now, he would be perfect, he gets in behind the defense always shoots to score, clinical and selfish great with his head and either foot, sweet technique... the ultimate striker really...wouldn't have to play all the time now but would score so many goals.

He was a legend in my eyes.

neno

Shut up.

You can't say he would have def netted all those. If so, basically, every shot he takes he must score. I've seen him miss a few sitters in the past I am sure.
I never said he would have 100% surely scored them. the point I was trying to makes was that ruud would have def. scored some of those clear missed chances if he was there, its pure logic just as if solskjaer, cole, etc would if they have been there. even though or team could use a finisher that would put away those chances, it doesnt mean we need him, we just won the double.

And Ruud is less prone to miss a sitter than anyone in our team, look at him he is making a career out of it at Real. But there is no point thinking about ifs and the past like liverpool do. Ruud came here and broke a bunch of goal scoring records, especially in europe. He scored 38 goals in 42 apps for us in europe, i bet you wont find a better ratio than that. he was amazing unfortunately the last 3 seasons of his united career we where going through a transition and we where in a huge rut playing the likes of djemba and sometimes even oshea in midfield.

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
Legend, best goalscorer to ever grace Old Trafford. Brilliant player, one of my favorite players alongside Cantona, Giggs and Scholes. Class and should never be forgotten, the goal scoring machine.