g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

RvP Transfer | Signed with Fenerbahce | See thread in the footy forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just click on the username in my post and read the tagline. ;)
Oh, wow :lol:

I hope this isn't brought up every time I say anything even remotely positive about Chelsea. I could do without being labeled a closet Chelsea girl.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Oh, wow :lol:

I hope this isn't brought up every time I say anything even remotely positive about Chelsea. I could do without being labeled a closet Chelsea girl.
Shhh. Don't hide it anymore. Come towards the light. Let it cleanse you.

Cro

At times he looked worse than Falcao

The thing that really irks me and takes away all doubt if we should keep him or not is the fact he just doesn't run and work on the pitch. Which would be ok if he'd be as lethal upfront as he used to be and would score those winning goals every match but he doesn't anymore. He doesn't score the chances anymore that he used to finish with his eyes close.

I really don't see the point in keeping him. He doesn't work alot on the pitch, he has got no pace and makes no runs, he has lost the things that made him so valuable which is killerinstinct upfront. He is on 10 million a year wages, he'll likley be crocked for the main part of the season and he'll be expecting to play just on basis of reputation and name.

I don't think he can get into the team ahead of Rooney and I believe there are enough players available who'd be much better suited to give Rooney competition for the striker position. Starting with the fact we should be looking at player who isn't tirred after running for 70minutes, a player that works and weighs on a defence also if he doesn't score and somebody who don't have to pay 10 million a year for being out injurred for half a season.
And at times, Falcao looked worse than RVP ... get what I mean? It's a pointless statement, especially with the additional remark 'at times'.

I don't think that working hard in terms of chasing every ball is neccesarily a big criteria for a good striker, especially in a posession based system. RVP never has been one of the hard working ones like Rooney or Tevez. Fans usually prefer the 'working his socks off' kind of strikers, which is kind of understandable as they should work for the millions they get, but mostly the real goalscorers aren't the busiest type of footballers. Remember Gary Nevilles analysis of Rooney against City at Old Trafford? He usually pops up everywhere, but in that game, he had probably less of the ball than in any other match and wasn't everywhere on the pitch, yet he fullfilled his role, pinned the centrebacks back and made space for other players. Less workrate, but beneficial for the general play. Sounds contrary, but that's the way it is at times.

I can't agree with your statement that he doesn't make runs. He isn't a sprinter or a workhorse who chases every ball, but around the penalty box, he sees space or that the defender lost him for a second and makes a clever movement, which creates space and time for him. His technique and finishing normally does the rest. Especially in the first half of the season, he made a lot of these runs, but most of our players (except Carrick at times) didn't see him or opted for the safer back or sideway pass and therefore it counted for nothing. We are playing a posession based football, mostly have up to 60-70 percent of the ball. Do we really another hard working forward, who drops deep and isn't at the box? Everybody is talking about pace up front. But how are we going to use a lighning quick player, when there is no space to run into for most of the times in the final third? We need clever players, who make space for themselves with an intelligent run, technical players, who have a good first touch and are able to beat a man with skill and are a good finisher.

As I said in my first post, all of our strikers didn't look good last year. Our strike force contained Rooney, Falcao and RVP. Most of the time, they all looked average and that's where I see the problem. What's more likely, three world class strikers suddenly becoming ordinary over the course of a season or the team not creating enough decent chances? Yes, they missed some sitters as well, not denying that, but most of the time, we lacked quality service upfront. It's the same when people say our defence is shit. We haven't got a real standout defender in the mould of Vidic or Ferdinand at the moment, but especially in the first half of the season, we didn't defend like a team and therefore made our defenders look like amteurs a lot of times. It's not just the defence, the midfield or the strikers, the whole team has to work like an organism. We have to defend together and we have to attack together with the right balance.

I'm not insistent on keeping RVP at all times, but should we get rid of him just for the sake of it? We won't get a good fee and probably have to pay a percentage of his wages to make the deal happen anyway. So it's not like we are going to save ourselves a fortune and can refinance a quality player from that money. We need to have the best team available at the start of the season. If we have a better suited alternative up our sleeves, then I'm absolutely fine with that decision, but I can't think of a lot of strikers who would improve us and are available.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I guess I was half right then. Perhaps you could get a special 'United/Mourinho fan' banner to act as some form of clarification. I'm not telling you how to act at all, sorry if it came across that way. I just find it nauseating reading a fan of a proper club constantly talking about a different, rival team in such a positive manner and had to clarify that you weren't a troll.
You seem like you are trolling..

Mister Ed

And at times, Falcao looked worse than RVP ... get what I mean? It's a pointless statement, especially with the additional remark 'at times'.

I don't think that working hard in terms of chasing every ball is neccesarily a big criteria for a good striker, especially in a posession based system. RVP never has been one of the hard working ones like Rooney or Tevez. Fans usually prefer the 'working his socks off' kind of strikers, which is kind of understandable as they should work for the millions they get, but mostly the real goalscorers aren't the busiest type of footballers. Remember Gary Nevilles analysis of Rooney against City at Old Trafford? He usually pops up everywhere, but in that game, he had probably less of the ball than in any other match and wasn't everywhere on the pitch, yet he fullfilled his role, pinned the centrebacks back and made space for other players. Less workrate, but beneficial for the general play. Sounds contrary, but that's the way it is at times.

I can't agree with your statement that he doesn't make runs. He isn't a sprinter or a workhorse who chases every ball, but around the penalty box, he sees space or that the defender lost him for a second and makes a clever movement, which creates space and time for him. His technique and finishing normally does the rest. Especially in the first half of the season, he made a lot of these runs, but most of our players (except Carrick at times) didn't see him or opted for the safer back or sideway pass and therefore it counted for nothing. We are playing a posession based football, mostly have up to 60-70 percent of the ball. Do we really another hard working forward, who drops deep and isn't at the box? Everybody is talking about pace up front. But how are we going to use a lighning quick player, when there is no space to run into for most of the times in the final third? We need clever players, who make space for themselves with an intelligent run, technical players, who have a good first touch and are able to beat a man with skill and are a good finisher.

As I said in my first post, all of our strikers didn't look good last year. Our strike force contained Rooney, Falcao and RVP. Most of the time, they all looked average and that's where I see the problem. What's more likely, three world class strikers suddenly becoming ordinary over the course of a season or the team not creating enough decent chances? Yes, they missed some sitters as well, not denying that, but most of the time, we lacked quality service upfront. It's the same when people say our defence is shit. We haven't got a real standout defender in the mould of Vidic or Ferdinand at the moment, but especially in the first half of the season, we didn't defend like a team and therefore made our defenders look like amteurs a lot of times. It's not just the defence, the midfield or the strikers, the whole team has to work like an organism. We have to defend together and we have to attack together with the right balance.

I'm not insistent on keeping RVP at all times, but should we get rid of him just for the sake of it? We won't get a good fee and probably have to pay a percentage of his wages to make the deal happen anyway. So it's not like we are going to save ourselves a fortune and can refinance a quality player from that money. We need to have the best team available at the start of the season. If we have a better suited alternative up our sleeves, then I'm absolutely fine with that decision, but I can't think of a lot of strikers who would improve us and are available.
Rooney was good upfront albeit not brilliant which isn't a surprise because he has been like that for some years now also being one of the reasons why Fergie chose to get RVP instead. I don't think Rooney suffered from the lack of chances created, he just played as you might have expected him to, doing a good job but nothing exceptional.

RVP and Falcao on the other hand is a different story. Expectations for both were high and none of them delivered. Falcao being shite is also confirmed by him play for Colombia not just here at United. He got plenty of chances from which he could get goals but he missed so many of them. I think he has lost the label worldclass this year and the fact as I said it RVP was at times even worse, the same goes for him. The only reason RVP should still be here and Falcao not his because Falcao was a loan we could easily get rid off whilst RVP will be more complex to settle. But based on the past season it should be clear neither of them are fit anymore to lead the frontline of the club.

If we'd have a striker at his prime I think you'd see the team creates more than enough chances for that striker to score atleast 20+ goals upfront. It is just the fact RVP and Falcao are so passed their prime they can't score those chances anymore. Rooney can but he was played on midfield more than as striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd have no issue with him, or Rooney, or both leaving this summer. Both are hiding behind past acheivements, and neither can get the goals needed to make us one of the best teams in Europe.

I'd scrap the strikeforce and start again.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?

No idea if this means anything (chances are it doesn't) but United have just posted this video with a link to the tour and he's one of the players featured in it with Rooney and Mata. Talks about great Ferguson is. :lol:

Guess it must have been made yesterday.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I'd have no issue with him, or Rooney, or both leaving this summer. Both are hiding behind past acheivements, and neither can get the goals needed to make us one of the best teams in Europe.

Who would you sign to replace both? who is available

Oneunited26

I think rooney will be a very effective forward in a 433, if VG can build a good system round rooney, like a 433 with the midfield and attack able to run the game, rooney will easily score goals. Di Maria and depay's wingplay ability will help rooney out a treat, and we saw what rooney was capable of when he had the service, like how valencia used to assist rooney in quiet a few games in 2009/10 season

SATA

I think Fergie's retirement really threw him off. He came to United largely to play for Sir Alex and win the league but didn't expect to do so for only a year

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who would you sign to replace both? who is available
I'd be keeping James Wilson of course, I'd probably bring in Saido Berahino to add to the pool, and then look at a top bracket striker to be first-choice. I don't know which top strikers are available, although you never really know until serious bids (or tapping up) starts. We could start the season with Real's captain in waiting as our centre-half, so 'availability' is complicated. If there is validity in interest/offers for Benzema/Muller/Kane then you would imagine the manager agrees that our current lot are not good enough, as I doubt such signings would be subs.

Also, if you had asked me at the beginning of the summer, the potential list was a bit bigger with Vietto and Dybala on the market. Right now, I'd probably be looking at a big play for Harry Kane, but if we can't get anyone very top, then of course, we have to stick with what we have - npt very top.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think rooney will be a very effective forward in a 433, if VG can build a good system round rooney, like a 433 with the midfield and attack able to run the game, rooney will easily score goals. Di Maria and depay's wingplay ability will help rooney out a treat, and we saw what rooney was capable of when he had the service, like how valencia used to assist rooney in quiet a few games in 2009/10 season
You do realise that was 6 years ago?

That statement would imply that both Wayne Rooney and Antonio Valencia are good enough to be first-choice striker and winger respectively at top clubs. You cannot pick players based on what they did 6 years ago. The fact is, neither have had a season nearly as good since.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think he's good enough to be starting regularly for us anymore but he's far too good for the Turkish league. Looks like it's nearly done as well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I hope Louie's aware that to find replacement for such a striker is no cake walk. I doubt he hasn't got a plan in case of life without Robin at Old Trafford.

He's a true mentor for younger players just like Giggsy and Rio were in the past. I really hope we know what we're doing...

Oneunited26

That statement would imply that both Wayne Rooney and Antonio Valencia are good enough to be first-choice striker and winger respectively at top clubs. You cannot pick players based on what they did 6 years ago. The fact is, neither have had a season nearly as good since.
I never said valencia was, I think rooney is still good enough to be first choice, this idea rooney needs to go is far off the mark. He is still a quality striker, and I would be happy going into the new season with rooney leading the line, instead of playing him in midfield

SirAF

Ageist
I'd be happy enough to see van Persie leave now. He's on big wages and has not performed consistently since Ferguson's last season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
my concern is who the funk have we got lined up to replace him???
Kane got 5 years left in contract... despite media linking we have no such thing as steady negotiating position unless Woody throw money on Levy like gangstar.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Mental isn't it :lol: Rooney showed last season in the tail end that as a lone centre forward he is bang average these days, and certainly not a much better option than RVP (who I feel is best as a lone striker in 433, something which he barely played as last year) as others believed. Really hope we go out and buy a new striker now.

Roman Bellic

Prick

The greatest single season investment of all time, did more for us in one season than some did in 10 years at this club, and for that he will always be a legend in my book.

RVP #20

Oh yeah, and i love his wife.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Surely we must have somebody lined up already? It's not about the quality but quantity now, we've let useless Falcao go and now we'll drop Robin, Hernandez seems like a goner too so that leaves us with Rooney and Wilson, bit short of options for 3 cups and league if you ask me.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Lacazette is really available for €28/£20 million it's an absolute no brainer for me.
Still didn't signed contract at Lyon... and we're surely not after Higuain or Cavani so we don't even have a bigger choice.

Bojan11

Ewww Higuain. We better off keeping Hernandez.

Lacazette would be ideal. But Aulus won't sell him cheap to us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He wasn't going to be first choice anymore here, though I would've liked to keep him as cover for another year. Thanks for #20 though, was incredible in 12/13 for us and for that alone is worth the money we paid.

Be interesting to see who we replace him with. Has to be a versatile type of striker who can play on the wings as well, as Rooney will be our #1 striker, so we'll need someone who has the potential but also at the right age to take over from him in a year or 2, and also capable of playing on the wings so he's not always on the bench.

diarm

how likely is it tho. In fairness I would be shocked if someone wasn't lined up.
Still didn't signed contract at Lyon... and we're surely not after Higuain or Cavani so we don't even have a bigger choice.
Unless Muller is an option, which I would stunned at, then our options are Lacazette or taking a punt on Kane being more than a one season wonder.
Kane will cost twice as much as the figures being talked about for Lacazette and it will take the whole summer dicking around with Levy to get done.

Higuain, Berahino and Cavani aren't good enough. Zlatan is getting on and isn't the player we need. Ronaldo will want to break the goal record at Madrid and Suarez, Aguero and pretty much any other striker of the quality we should be looking at are unavailable to us.

Sam

This is going to be such a sad and underwhelming ending to his United career. Rewind three years and we were all going mad about signing arguably the best striker on the planet, and now he's being shunted out the back door, to Turkey, for a little under £5 million quid.

It always does amaze me how quickly things change in football.

Jagga7

I'll be sad to see him leave. He's a class player and still has a lot left to offer.

Skills

Snitch
His goals for us in 12/13 would be a career highlight reel for a lot of professionals. Scored some outrageously good goals and the vast majority of them were important - i.e. they changed the course of a game, so put us a goal up or pulled a goal back to get us level.

Status
Not open for further replies.