Ryan Giggs - 900

Zen

tbh, his stats haven't been good since....like ever. he's there for the crazy "magic" moment he does, which he still does, but it's certainly waning.

NM

We are second in the league, and this place is in meltdown. I shudder to think what this place will become once SAF leaves. We laugh at RAWK, but at this rate we will become them.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We are second in the league, and this place is in meltdown. I shudder to think what this place will become once SAF leaves. We laugh at RAWK, but at this rate we will become them.
I don't think we would be that much like RAWK given there would be more criticism of the manager and players than is allowed on RAWK.

NoLogo

He was just as poor as the rest of the team no better no worse.

But it's a bit cringe worthy that we still have to rely on a 38 year old to be the deciding factor in our games.

He should be a backup player by now that offers his experience and advice to younger players yet he still has to be the one who starts in the big matches because either SAF doesn't trust the others to do the job or they aren't capable of doing the job or both.

IrishLegend

tbh, his stats haven't been good since....like ever. he's there for the crazy "magic" moment he does, which he still does, but it's certainly waning.
11 Assists this season. Our 4th highest. Not bad for a 38 year old.

Also I seem to remember him scoring the vital winner against Norwich.

Zen

Yeah well that's what I'm talking....stats like the ones I'm replying too have never been great for him. He's there to create the magic assist or show up with an important goal, which most of his goals post-35 are.

AVARiCE

There's no room for sentiment in the quest for glory, AVARiCE.
For what it's worth, I agree with this post mate. However, it still doesn't excuse, in my opinion, some of the things people have said about him. Hell, it seems as though he's an unpleasant man so rip him apart on that, just show a bit more respect for the footballing legend.

No you're the one who needs to have a word and stop accusing people of knee-jerk reactions or being bitter about the game. Take a look at my posts in the match day threads through most of the season, Giggs has been the single player I have criticised the most throughout the season. He's been wank. All he ever does is stand around until he receives the ball, then when he has it he will make a surging run to no where and lose it again, or if he doesn't do that he will try a pass he has no right attempting and again give away possession and in fact he has even laboured over simple short passes this season. He doesn't have the legs and he seemingly could not give a shit about tracking back to defend either. In fact his nonchalance in tracking back was glaringly obvious last season too, as seen when Hernandez had to fecking do it for him against Blackpool. Hernandez, our striker as well as Rooney was doing it for him last night too. I'm sorry but even legends have to play for the team.

Giggs is a legend, he should go out that way. The only car-crash I see in this thread is the people unwilling to accept that Giggs has had his best days and that he should at best take a back seat but ideally retire. He doesn't add enough to the team any more, regardless of the amount of sentiment people hold for him and just because he is a legend, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be above criticism. This isn't RAWK.
A long post which again doesn't really argue against what I said. For everything you've just said I still maintain that there's no excuse for some of the things that have been said in this thread. If you think that some of it has been merely critical then that's your perogative. I think you're wrong.

I'm not saying (and I can't see where I inferred, to be honest) that Giggsy is beyond criticism or even the calls for his head. I'm saying that telling one of our legends to eff off isn't particularly sharp. Regardless of what you say, there's some vitriol behind these statements that I'm pretty damn sure stem from the result last night.

Again, I'm not even offering my opinion on his performances this season, I'm just offering some perspective. Ryan Giggs shouldn't be spoken of in such a disgusting way by "United" fans. That's not 'Top Red' bull, that's reality.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
For what it's worth, I agree with this post mate. However, it still doesn't excuse, in my opinion, some of the things people have said about him. Hell, it seems as though he's an unpleasant man so rip him apart on that, just show a bit more respect for the footballing legend.

A long post which again doesn't really argue against what I said. For everything you've just said I still maintain that there's no excuse for some of the things that have been said in this thread. If you think that some of it has been merely critical then that's your perogative. I think you're wrong.

I'm not saying (and I can't see where I inferred, to be honest) that Giggsy is beyond criticism or even the calls for his head. I'm saying that telling one of our legends to eff off isn't particularly sharp. Regardless of what you say, there's some vitriol behind these statements that I'm pretty damn sure stem from the result last night.

Again, I'm not even offering my opinion on his performances this season, I'm just offering some perspective. Ryan Giggs shouldn't be spoken of in such a disgusting way by "United" fans. That's not 'Top Red' bull, that's reality.
Perhaps you need to be more specific about what you meant in the post then? You were as vague as I apparently was.

AVARiCE

I'm pretty sure my post is clear that it has everything to do with the way people have been talking about him mate. ;)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
people questioned Scholes legs etc last season, he then retired and came back 6 months later to be arguably our main reason for our title charge

its dangerous to wish for players to retire, they may actually do it :(

Ash_G

Tbh I think Giggs still has his uses, and in some games provides a threat no one else can/does, but sometimes we completely mis-use him which is unfair on him and us. To put him on the left wing in a game that we know will be tiring and we need quick counters is asking for trouble. Tbf at times he did alright and his experienced showed when he showed calmness etc, but other times he was found wanting. Still a very good player but he has to be used correctly.

Steven Seagull

I'm pretty sure my post is clear that it has everything to do with the way people have been talking about him mate. ;)
It's perfectly clear.

Giggs has had a poor season, and it's fine to point that out. I wouldn't have played him last night either.

But to read posts like "feck off and retire" and "he could not give a shit" is ridiculous. You'd get a bollocking for aiming such nonsense about Rooney, even Gibson, and rightly so in my opinion. But a club legend like Giggs... feck sake.

There's even a mention in here about one moment last season when Hernandez had to block a cross instead of Giggs, how long has that been festering in your mind to bring that up? He certainly looked like he gave a shit at Upton Park last season when he was raiding up and down the left wing like a 20 year old at 2-0 down. There's a way to go about criticising players, and feck off Giggs is going to provoke people.

Moriarty

people questioned Scholes legs etc last season, he then retired and came back 6 months later to be arguably our main reason for our title charge

its dangerous to wish for players to retire, they may actually do it :(
I hope that when they do pack it up, they stay on at United as coaches. Those two embody what United is all about. Working under Fergie for all these years has been a brilliant education in football management and that kind of thing can't be bought.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Credit where its due, very good today.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yap, maybe his best game in second part of the season.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I actually didn't think he played all that well today.

Lost influance on the game after half time. Scholes and Carrick dominated CM, Giggs didn't really do much.

And I'm normally singing his praises.
He worked harder today and as such made himself available a lot more often, less fannying around as well and held the ball up well.

IrishLegend

He worked harder today and as such made himself available a lot more often, less fannying around as well and held the ball up well.
True but it seemed like Rooney kept dropping into where Giggs should have been and at time Giggs was playing as the main striker.

Think we could have grabbed a few more goals if around 60-65mins if Hernandez came on for him. Especially against tired legs.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I wanted him subbed around the time Sunderland were pressing us in the second half, but I agree overall he played well.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I wanted him subbed around the time Sunderland were pressing us in the second half, but I agree overall he played well.
Ditto but we has nobody to replace him with. Embarrassing.

Ash_G

I thought he played well tbh. Made it more annoying for me really that he didn't play there against City. I didn't want either of him or Park to start but if he was going to play then he should have been in the middle not Park. Hot and cold season for him, but I think he has lots to offer, as his link up play is still good and he brings something that no one else in the team really does. He might frustrate by loosing possession but he's more likely than most to play a match winning pass.

Rossa

He shouldn't be starting games any more.
Why not? He was brilliant today - he thrives very well in that AM-role, but as a CM I'm more concerned as his defending is at time quite atrocious. Notice how he always faces towards the opposition's goal when receiving the ball - that's great for our attack, but it does mean that he loses the ball a bit more. When you have to behind him to cover that normally is no more than a little concern.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I hope we've see the last of him as a CM ever for Man United.AM is where he's at his best and as a sub on the wing.In the middle, he just cannot do it anymore

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I hope we've see the last of him as a CM ever for Man United.AM is where he's at his best and as a sub on the wing.In the middle, he just cannot do it anymore
Whose position on the wing do you see a 40 year old taking?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Reminiscent of him in the last game of the season in 07/08 v Wigan following all the excessive criticism...

tintedsepia

Think we could have grabbed a few more goals if around 60-65mins if Hernandez came on for him. Especially against tired legs.
Nah! He's not looked like getting a goal tbh when he's been on the pitch - sub or no sub recently. Henrandez of last year it would have been a no-brainer not to put him on with 30 mins left.

He just needs a long summer break and pre-season!

izzydiggler

IMO, he needs to take more of a backseat next season for the likes of (injury permitting) Anderson, Cleverley and other younger players.

Absolute legend and would like to see him in some coaching role but it's time for others to take the mantle and as Fergie says, a new era to begin.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this or not, some stuff I got sent through on the MUST e-mail list, your chance to get a Giggsy signed shirt:

The greatest player to play for United? Hard to argue with the facts really - more games, more assists and more trophies than any other player in United's illustrious history. And the goals - some breathtaking amongst them but could there be any more glorious than that stupendous goal against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semi-final replay? Football - Bloody hell - enjoy the videos below ...

Ryan Giggs is doing a very special signing and (exclusively through MUST) he will be doing personalised signings dedicated to the name of your choice. If you know anyone who'd love that you need to order no later than next Friday - 12th October.

We expect the signing to take place before the end of October so well in time for a special Christmas or birthday gift? This is an excellent fundraiser for MUST too.There are two versions available
http://mustshop.org/products/Ryan-Giggs-"Personalised"-Signed-shirt-(framed).html

http://mustshop.org/products/Ryan-Giggs-"personalised"-Signed-shirt-(unframed).html

Please delete if it's inappropriate.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think he's playing for it and I think Fergie isn't going to deny him that.

AARRONB06

The only word to explain this achievement is 'wow'

Simply stunning, will NEVER happen again this! Go down as the greatest club player of all time, not only has he made all those appearances but his ability is also up there with the best about, and he has been consistent since the day he started until now.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Well, looking at how many how many appearances he's made the last three seasons I'm not as sure, he's made more than I thought.

2011-12: 33
2010-11: 38
2009-10: 32
total: 105

Giggs started the season on 909 according to wiki (he's currently sitting on 913), so he would need to average 31 games a season for next three years and he would hit 1000 at the end of 2014-15. Giggs will be 41 at the start of the 2014-15 season, 42 by the time he'd make 31 appearances at that rate. I really doubt he can keep up that pace.

If he can't play that often, he could get to 1000 by the 2015-16 season if he plays 23 games a season. But he'd be 43 by the end of that season, that's still quite a risky bet.

I'd think he the odds of Giggs making 1000 games is about 30-40%

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Finally a thread that actually admires the man, and not that bollocks on how some wish he'd hang up his boots.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If he can't play that often, he could get to 1000 by the 2015-16 season if he plays 23 games a season. But he'd be 43 by the end of that season, that's still quite a risky bet.

I'd think he the odds of Giggs making 1000 games is about 30-40%
More like a symbolic 1%. I love Giggsy but that would just rip the piss.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
More like a symbolic 1%. I love Giggsy but that would just rip the piss.
Now, at 99/1 I could see some value in that market.

I mean, whose to say Giggs will lose any endurance between now and 42? Especially if he becomes an impact sub, I can see him playing till 42. I think SAF said he thinks he could play into his 40s.

""My personal feeling is that Ryan can play for another couple of years", Ferguson told his club’s official site in September of this year.

Havak

Pokemon master
I can see both Giggs and Fergie giving it 2-3 more years quite easily, probably both leaving at the end of the same season.

I think it's hard to argue that Giggs can't come on as a sub in any game and change it for the last 25~ minutes. I think Fergie will always trust Giggs to create a chance or provide some kind of spark, so the 1000 is possible although I feel it's rather unlikely. If he manages to get close to 950 this season, then he'll probably go for it but play less than 30 games in the last two seasons before retiring.

Either that, or he retires at the end of this season with Scholes (permanently).

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
If Sir Alex (or indeed Ryan himself) cared about such a milestone, then I'd think he'd be getting a lot more sub appearances to rack-up the numbers - league cups and dead-rubbers, final minutes of league games when they are won (if such games exist any more), etc. That might maybe prevent another sub getting on, but I doubt Sir Alex would entertain the notion anyway - quite rightly so.

For me though if I were so close to 1,000 appearances then it would haunt me later in life if I stopped just short. Mild OCD maybe?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Finally a thread that actually admires the man, and not that bollocks on how some wish he'd hang up his boots.
You make it sound like nobody has appreciated all he has done, nobody does not consider him a true legend.

It does not mean the question should be asked about what he can still possibly bring to the side right now. Personally apart from being great to have around the club I do not see him having much impact on a footballing aspect.

I am certain he has one or two moments left in him. But nothing at all sustained even for a single 90 minutes.