Ryan Giggs - 900

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
On 899 now. What a ridiculous achievement this will be.

When Denis Irwin limped off the Old Trafford pitch after just 35 minutes against Everton on 2 March 1991, Alex Ferguson replaced him with a skinny 17-year-old.

Now, almost 21 years later, that talented teenager has won more trophies than any other player in the history of English football and is closing in on his 900th appearance for Manchester United.

As for Irwin, he can't believe Ryan Giggs is still terrorising top-flight defences, and recalls when the young Welshman first starting knocking on the first-team door.

"It's incredible," Irwin says as he stands on the forecourt at Old Trafford. "We all knew about him. He was like lightning, he was like the wind, and had such great ability and skill.

"The best thing about him was that he could do his defensive duties as well. He never shirked that responsibility and still doesn't. He played on the left wing in front of me for 10 years and it's incredible he's still as sharp and as driven as he is."

And important to the team. Giggs may be 38 now but he remains a vital component of Sir Alex's championship-chasing side. Games don't get much bigger than United vs Liverpool and Ryan's started all three encounters this season against the men from Merseyside.

The most recent, Sunday's eventful outing, was his 899th for the Reds, leaving him just one short of an astonishing landmark.

"To make 900 appearances for a club like this..." Irwin says, trailing off as he struggles to findthe words to describe the achievement.

"Everyone knew him as an out-and-out winger. To change his thought process on a football field [and adapt to a role in the centre of midfield] is testament to how good a player he is. He not only stayed at the top of his game but changed it as well."

Giggs won't merely reach 900 games: it's likely he'll smash the landmark. After all, last Friday he signed a contract extension with the club that will keep him at Old Trafford until the end of the 2012/13 season. By that stage - remember, Ryan also boasts 64 international caps for Wales - there's every chance he'll be nudging 1000 senior appearances.

But why stop there?

"He certainly looks sharp enough when he plays," Irwin says. "You should play as long as you can, especially at this level. And especially here."

With that, the Irishman, himself a veteran of 529 appearances for the Reds, gestures towards the stadium and we're reminded once more of that moment more than two decades earlier when Giggs trotted onto the pitch to make his first-team bow.

"Manchester United believe we may be seeing the start of a very special career this afternoon," announced Clive Tyldesley at the time, commentating for ITV.

"Special", it turns out, was a gross understatement.
Ryan Giggs 900 appearances - Official Manchester United Website

Loved the last line of this article. The word Legend is also not suitable for the services he has given to the club

Sw33t

Not enough superlatives for Giggs.

900? feck me, that's just.... ridiculously insane. Here's to 1,000!

Neo_Mufc

Our best ever player IMO.

Will probably manage us too in the future.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
An average of what? Somewhere around 45 games a year at the highest level?

An unbelievable achievement.

Stretch

Incredible. There are no superlatives left to describe the man's career. If he got to 1000 you'd see a plethora of United fans with Giggs 1000 on their replica shirts.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
900 Games...

That's 81,000 minutes
1,350 hours
56 1/4 days
Which is two months of February...

And all + Fergie Time...

Just imagine how much sex he could have been having in that time....

Varun

Staff
Its been an honour watching him play week in week out for us.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If anyone dares to post po-faced crap like 'Great player, but alas, I for one cannot forgive him for sleeping with Imogen Z-List, family members, his budgie etc etc,' I am going to e-shoot them.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If anyone dares to post po-faced crap like 'Great player, but alas, I for one cannot forgive him for sleeping with Imogen Z-List, family members, his budgie etc etc,' I am going to e-shoot them.
His legacy has been tainted some what

MUFCgal

900 is just............:eek:

To get to 1000 games, he'd have to play for another two full seasons. Can he do it? He probably could if he keeps himself in shape and steers clear of any serious injuries.

Well, we all know he has signed on for next season so he'll be on his way to it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
His cultural legacy perhaps, mate, but not his footballing legacy. After all, it's not like he was taking performance-enhancing drugs or something.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was looking for white text. Partly due to the idiocy of that statement and partly because of your lack of a full stop. His legacy has nothing to do with what he did off the pitch, it has not been tainted.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Randall, if you want to talk about Giggsy's off field activities, make another thread about it and satisfy your need for attention craving. Leave this thread for those who want to talk or celebrate about this achievement.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Randall, if you want to talk about Giggsy's off field activities, make another thread about it and satisfy your need for attention craving. Leave this thread for those who want to talk or celebrate about this achievement.
I don’t have much interest in his off field stuff. I literally posted just a couple of times in the recent Giggs threads.

I merely pointed out his legacy has been tainted. Unfortunately a legacy entails both football and personal life to many people.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don’t have much interest in his off field stuff. I literally posted just a couple of times in the recent Giggs threads.

I merely pointed out his legacy has been tainted. Unfortunately a legacy entails both football and personal life to many people.
It must be so depressing to view life through your eyes.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Anyway, I always feel very lucky to have enjoyed Giggs in 92/93 and 93/94

At the time he looked like one of the most exciting players in the world.

always loved the opening goal against Norwich

Sir A1ex

I was looking for white text.
Eh? The whole post was white text!:smirk:

Anyway, the only minor way in which his legacy has been "tainted" in my book is that he's a little bit thicker than I thought, what with going through with that whole super-injunction debacle.

Basically I don't give a shit about it, and I don't think most football fans, apart from a few tabloid-obsessed cretins do.

"He shags who he wants..."

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd actually love it if he got to 1000.

Diablodave

Anyway, I always feel very lucky to have enjoyed Giggs in 92/93 and 93/94

At the time he looked like one of the most exciting players in the world.

always loved the opening goal against Norwich

Aaah remember this well 1:57 that look of shellshock and disbelief on Gunns face! That United team dismantled Norwich that day who if I'm not mistaken were challengers back then?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Norwich were indeed challengers along with Aston Villa.

But that game Giggs was unplayable. Not just his 1st goal, but also a big hand in the 2nd and he never stopped

The goals he scored over those 2 seasons were sensational. He kindve got found out a tad in 94/95 (Injuries did not help either) but then adapted his game accordingly. And that is what he has done for 20 years now.

eric le roi

Remember all the criticism he was getting around 2002/2003 and there were rumours flying round that he'd go abroad and then he scored that goal against Juventus, ran to the crowd, turned round and pointed to the name & number on his shirt as if to say "THIS is what you'd be missing, now STFU".

Goal #9 (about 40 seconds in):

reelworld

anytime we faced Italian teams, you could sense that they feared him the most. Still remember the way he tore Juventus a new one almost every time we played them. I can imagine their frustation having to deal with him this long

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
In fairness to Randall he didn't bring it up; he just gave his opinion.

Hectic

Supports
30fps

His legacy hasn't been tainted at all. He might be a cnut of person outside of United for all I know, but his legacy at the club is completely in tact, and remains at the very highest.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
In fairness to Randall he didn't bring it up; he just gave his opinion.
Thanks Moses

His legacy hasn't been tainted at all. He might be a cnut of person outside of United for all I know, but his legacy at the club is completely in tact, and remains at the very highest.
Like has been said already, it has been done to death.

I will say one final thing in relation to this though -

For me a year or so ago Ryan Giggs was pretty much the perfect sports person. I obviously had huge respect for him for his footballing career but I also had the upmost respect for him, in that he seemed a good family man as well. Which for some reason is a bit important to me.

Fair enough if his reputation has not been tarnished for all. But sadly it has a bit for me. More so at the time when it all came out. I have pretty much forgotten about it now

Gazza

How the feck are his legs still attached to his body? 900 matches, that's an insane amount of work he's put in.

lynchie

One thing I find interesting is that he's now surpassed Sir Bobby's starts for the club.

I seem to remember a few years back when he passed the appearance record, there was a lot of nonsense about it not really being as impressive because he was making lots of late sub appearances.

Gazza

Thanks Moses

Like has been said already, it has been done to death.

I will say one final thing in relation to this though -

For me a year or so ago Ryan Giggs was pretty much the perfect sports person. I obviously had huge respect for him for his footballing career but I also had the upmost respect for him, in that he seemed a good family man as well. Which for some reason is a bit important to me.

Fair enough if his reputation has not been tarnished for all. But sadly it has a bit for me. More so at the time when it all came out. I have pretty much forgotten about it now
I can very much see that side of it, but for me I have no idea what his private situation is like and not much interest in it either. I know I've done things I'm not proud of but I'd like to think I'm no different from anyone else on this planet in that regard.