Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Thought he wasn't in contention due to being the laziest Welsh representative ever? His 'knee injury' flared up every international friendly break.
They should think themselves lucky he ever turned out for their shitty side. Don't they know he could have played for England?? :rolleyes: /s incase it wasn't clear

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Butt is currently in a head role for the academy at United and doesn't seem to fancy his coaching career, to be fair. (Which probably is everyone's preference given the level of play his sides' have showed the past seasons.)
He's bidding his time. Going all out gunning for the seat with mourinho at the helm won't look nice.

Besides, that's actually the attitude to go, one at a time job at hand.

Needham

It would be odd if he wasn't deemed qualified enough to manage Swansea, but would be fine taking over the whole of Wales.
Maybe both too minor, get the feeling Giggs is hanging on to manage the Earth XI team in the first Universe Cup.

crossy1686

career ending
He's bidding his time. Going all out gunning for the seat with mourinho at the helm won't look nice.

Besides, that's actually the attitude to go, one at a time job at hand.
That's the third time I've heard someone say that Butt doesn't want to be a coach. Where has that come from and why the feck would have a job developing youth players if he wasn't interested?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Why would they give him the job?

Pacificgi

I can see this happening. Mark hughes first job was wales manager so wouldnt be surprised if they take a similar approach again. Id prefer giggs to pulis anyway - it would be different as we'd not know what to expect but happy to see him given a chance.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ryan Giggs has no managerial experience.

Why on earth would anyone give him a top posting yet?
He needs to earn his stripes - no matter how good a player he was

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
So, he's not interested in replacing Paul Clement. Hard to blame him to be fair. It's a club that really has lost its way. Although reinvigorating Swansea into a mid table club again would do his CV some good.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So, he's not interested in replacing Paul Clement. Hard to blame him to be fair. It's a club that really has lost its way. Although reinvigorating Swansea into a mid table club again would do his CV some good.
It's a terrible job to take on. First job would end in relegation - awful start to management.

Swans know they need some experience - Pulis I think will get it

SER19

Didn't he discount Swansea last time after speaking to them and feeling like the pay were on a completely different wave length? Right call them right call now. Clement is a good manager Swansea are going down the drain

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah Swansea is definitely not a club you want your first job at.

While they've got some good players they have some absolute dross also.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Giggs giving the Swansea job a go should be perfect for him. He hasn't earned any PL management experience and should really be testing himself in the lower leagues first.

This opportunity would give him the best of both worlds. I don't think anyone could blame him if they went down so long as it's not Paul Jewell style. He would then get a chance to get some experience in the Championship, but having had half a season in the Prem.

Getting Swansea straight back up or at least having a decent playoff challenge would do his credentials a world of good. Of course if he kept them up in the first place then happy days.

I think he should go for it. He really can't lose.....unless he does actually turn out to be shite.

Acole9

Outstanding
Smart move staying away from Swansea, that's not a job for a novice.

The Bloody-Nine

Didn't he discount Swansea last time after speaking to them and feeling like the pay were on a completely different wave length? Right call them right call now. Clement is a good manager Swansea are going down the drain
No, he interviewed for the job and they rejected him. They chose Bob Bradley instead.

Not sure why he's ruling himself out of a job he wasn't in contention for.

SER19

No, he interviewed for the job and they rejected him. They chose Bob Bradley instead.

Not sure why he's ruling himself out of a job he wasn't in contention for.
Hmm. Think that's your version, seemed at the time they were openly interviewing candidates and giggs was one. A manager that goes for an interview wont automatically want it, happens loads in football. Not sure why you'd be so adamant they rejected him. Unless of course you're one of those posters that knew exactly what happened in the tunnel post city game? It's great how what happened always is what fits the posters agenda.

Edit- also many papers and online sources said "giggs and pulis in contention" probably wants to discredit the, before some guy on the internet decides he was rejected again

SER19

He should push hard for the wales job When they finally hire.

Edit- completely blanked that Coleman had went to Sunderland

The Bloody-Nine

Hmm. Think that's your version, seemed at the time they were openly interviewing candidates and giggs was one. A manager that goes for an interview wont automatically want it, happens loads in football. Not sure why you'd be so adamant they rejected him. Unless of course you're one of those posters that knew exactly what happened in the tunnel post city game? It's great how what happened always is what fits the posters agenda.
The only person who says Giggs rejected them is Giggs. I suppose the various reports of Swansea rejecting him after an interview are agenda driven, too.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=....64.psy-ab..0.22.2222...33i21k1.0.ueQGKgRpEww

Swansea have American owners and they chose an American manager. I have no idea why what happened in the tunnel post City game has any relevance given that I've never commented on it. At any rate, believe what you want, I don't give a shit.

SER19

The only person who says Giggs rejected them is Giggs. I suppose the various reports of Swansea rejecting him after an interview are agenda driven, too.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=....64.psy-ab..0.22.2222...33i21k1.0.ueQGKgRpEww

Swansea have American owners and they chose an American manager. I have no idea why what happened in the tunnel post City game has any relevance given that I've never commented on it. At any rate, believe what you want, I don't give a shit.
You seem to give a shit though, and the link you give just opens a whole load of paper talk, I think you sent the wrong one.

That Swansea chose bob Bradley is probably more indicative of what giggs meant by different ambitions. But judging by your first post, you can obviously speak with authority on the matter

The Bloody-Nine

No, I linked a google search displaying numerous reports from different outlets saying Swansea rejected Giggs. And, of course, Giggs saying he rejected them.

Believe whatever you like.

SER19

Now if I was Ryan giggs, the Middlesbrough job is the one I'd be actively pushing hard for. Right now They're struggling but not necessarily a sinking ship, they have a great set up, proud youth history, history associated with big names and fan expectations not necessarily massive. As well as that Steve Gibson might be the best chairman in the country and has a history of taking young managers, he gave Southgate the job before he had his badges! Barring managers who it really just wasn't working for, he also seems to try give their managers time.

Would be a fantastic first job I think.

Seems pulis is likely, which as a silver lining for giggs at least removes tony from Welsh job running

DdeGoat

Don't see Giggs getting a jobs until he gets out of his "he is suited for a top club" mentality. Getting the United job after Van Gaal was his best chance and that ship has sailed.

I have to say that I have seen him a few times as pundit and he never comes across as particularly bright. I actually find him pretty clueless talking about football. Doesn't depict any great understanding of the game in his punditry work. Now Gary shows good acumen but still failed miserably in his first managerial job, so of course talking a good game doesn't mean much. But still, watching him talk doesn't inspire any sort of confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

He only has to stay up to get a credit for his first job. Nobody expect him to revamp Swansea and becomes the next saf. It's enough to show a bit of what he can do, and if it's good he'll get the credit and a better opportunity. Certainly better than sitting around as pundits.

I'd say swansea is a no lose opportunity, as long as he shows some progress and actually know how he wants them to play that'll be enough.

But if he's not confident to save swansea, or he's not good enough to save em with 18 games left then he's probably not united manager material

AndyJ1985

Then what club should be his first? If he's capable of being a good manager he should be able to take over any team and improve them, no matter how many crap players they have.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I can see this happening. Mark hughes first job was wales manager so wouldnt be surprised if they take a similar approach again. Id prefer giggs to pulis anyway - it would be different as we'd not know what to expect but happy to see him given a chance.
Yeap,no harm in something different than these short term managers who keep getting sacked.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ryan Giggs defending his managerial aspirations in a column on Sky Sports website

''I did an interview last week about my managerial aspirations and received some criticism because apparently I wasn't willing to manage at a lower level.

I didn't say anything at all about not managing at a lower level; I said because of my experience, I'd be more suited coaching at the level which I previously played and coached.

My critic quoted Steven Gerrard saying, in his experience, footballers want to just do their UEFA C Licence and go straight into the job. I did my UEFA B Licence when I was 29, my A Licence when I was 35, my Pro Licence while I was still playing and I coached at Manchester United for three years - including managing four games - so I don't see the relevance.

The argument that players who have been a success can't go into success is a non-argument. People use Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger but there are also countless examples of unsuccessful players being unsuccessful managers. It is all down to the individual.

I played until i was 40 so i was doing my Pro License on a Saturday and Sunday, training on a Monday and Tuesday, doing more coaching and then driving back for Champions League games on Wednesday. To say I haven't put in the work is ridiculous.

I felt I could gain more from moving on and I'm now waiting for that right opportunity. I've shown interest in the Wales job and I'm involved in Salford and the Vietnamese football academy.

Every day it gets a bit more difficult with the climate of coaching appointments. I've grown up with the ethos of building something and that seems to have gone out of the window.

I think you see with contracts being offered, nobody is getting the long-term deals which Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger had.

You look at Sean Dyche, who has been able to establish himself and is now really building something great at Burnley, but then there's the likes of Mark Hughes and Eddie Howe who lose a couple of games and suddenly people say they're under pressure.

I don't know if what Sir Alex Ferguson did at Manchester United is possible anymore with the climate of everything, the media and the money, right now.

Sir Alex used to come down and watch us at 14 at The Cliff and see which players would be in the first team in three or four years, but I don't think you can do that anymore.''

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11189259/ryan-giggs-defends-managerial-aspirations

Last edited:

King_Cantona07

''I did an interview last week about my managerial aspirations and received some criticism because apparently I wasn't willing to manage at a lower level.

I didn't say anything at all about not managing at a lower level; I said because of my experience, I'd be more suited coaching at the level which I previously played and coached.

My critic quoted Steven Gerrard saying, in his experience, footballers want to just do their UEFA C Licence and go straight into the job. I did my UEFA B Licence when I was 29, my A Licence when I was 35, my Pro Licence while I was still playing and I coached at Manchester United for three years - including managing four games - so I don't see the relevance.

The argument that players who have been a success can't go into success is a non-argument. People use Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger but there are also countless examples of unsuccessful players being unsuccessful managers. It is all down to the individual.

I played until i was 40 so i was doing my Pro License on a Saturday and Sunday, training on a Monday and Tuesday, doing more coaching and then driving back for Champions League games on Wednesday. To say I haven't put in the work is ridiculous.

I felt I could gain more from moving on and I'm now waiting for that right opportunity. I've shown interest in the Wales job and I'm involved in Salford and the Vietnamese football academy.

Every day it gets a bit more difficult with the climate of coaching appointments. I've grown up with the ethos of building something and that seems to have gone out of the window.

I think you see with contracts being offered, nobody is getting the long-term deals which Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger had.

You look at Sean Dyche, who has been able to establish himself and is now really building something great at Burnley, but then there's the likes of Mark Hughes and Eddie Howe who lose a couple of games and suddenly people say they're under pressure.

I don't know if what Sir Alex Ferguson did at Manchester United is possible anymore with the climate of everything, the media and the money, right now.

Sir Alex used to come down and watch us at 14 at The Cliff and see which players would be in the first team in three or four years, but I don't think you can do that anymore.''

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11189259/ryan-giggs-defends-managerial-aspirations
He has knowledge which is proved by his coaching credentials. But lacks application of knowledge which he can gain only by on the job training. If he waits for epl job would be sat there for a while. And no big club would be thinking of hiring a person with no practical experience.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Great - another one going down the 'no chances for British managers' road.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I didn’t think there was anything wrong with what he said. Bonus point for having go at Stevie G (who probably has less coaching credentials than Giggs but is part of Klopps team)

dichinero

He does have a point and I think United would be the best fit for his experience but whether he is ready is the question

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
That statement is a bit cringe to be honest. He really should just get on with it, and get a coaching job wherever he can. No use talking about this over and over again. He needs to show what he can do. There's no getting away from that. Got to put into practice what he's been learning.

el3mel

He wants a top managerial job without showing anything to prove he deserves it. He's never going to become a manager unless United board loses their mind (Hopefully not).

lem8sh

About what?

In the current climate, only United can afford him any sort of patience given his experience, due to his connections with the club.

Not sure what is wrong with that.
One of the greatest managers of his generation in Mourinho who has clearly improved us should probably be gone in the summer going by your comments yesterday. Yet Ryan Giggs with zero experience as a manager and whose only real input came under the disastrous reign of Van Gaal would be a "good fit" deserving of time and patience. Jesus fecking Christ. If we sack Mourinho the one thing we cannot "afford" is time and patience for Giggs to be learning the ropes.

dichinero

One of the greatest managers of his generation in Mourinho who has clearly improved us should probably be gone in the summer going by your comments yesterday. Yet Ryan Giggs with zero experience as a manager and whose only real input came under the disastrous reign of Van Gaal would be a "good fit" deserving of time and patience. Jesus fecking Christ. If we sack Mourinho the one thing we cannot "afford" is time and patience for Giggs to be learning the ropes.
And where have I said he should be given the job? If his experience makes United the best fit for him, does that make him the best fit for United? I don't know how else you've interpreted that.