Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

ti vu

I caught a bit of Giggs' post-match punditry from the England Malta game and actually thought he gave considered and (yes, holy smoke) quite tactical insights about what Walcott, Sturridge and a few others did wrong.

I didn't see the pre-match or half-time waffle (probably boys own banter) but, generally, from what I've seen and heard from him in the last few months, he's far from the monotone, one-trick merchant that many seem to have labelled him on here.

I do think, as a previous poster has said, the Derby and Villa jobs are absolutely ideal for him (at least to apply for) but what's the rush? At the rate of managerial turnovers in the top two leagues, there will almost always be a job vacant at sometime, somewhere.

Better to bide his time and wait till maybe he clicks with a chairman he could do business with. Because, this more than anything, will probably determine where he ends up.
Be able to spot out problem is one thing. To be able rally the troop and make them perform is another thing. See Gary Neville.

I agree we can't draw the line whether Giggs is a good manager or not since there is not much we can tell from the outside. Nothing wrong for him to be careful about picking his first real management job neither. Different people/ organization have their own agenda to push. Nothing to see here as of now.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema

sugar_kane

Shades of Moyes here. Lots of mysterious 'offers' and 'links' and for some reason nothing ever happens.

If the offers are genuine he needs to stop fecking about and take one, otherwise he's just another ex-legend and know it all pundit.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
ESPN FC is reporting Giggs is set to miss out on the Wigan job in favour of Warren Joyce. Maybe Wigan didn't match his ambitions.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
If Warren Joyce leaves for Wigan that'll be a big blow for our U21s, but what about bringing Giggsy for this category ?

I know that he's looking for a job in PL but let be honest it'll be risky for him to join a relegation team knowing that he has no experience.

Zidane worked for 3 years with the second team before getting the first team. The same for Guardiola.

He won't be in the light of the club but he'd still be there waiting for his chances, and if he does well for the U21 no doubt he would be considered after Mou (expect if Simeone or Ancelotti becomes available)

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
If Warren Joyce leaves for Wigan that'll be a big blow for our U21s, but what about bringing Giggsy for this category ?

I know that he's looking for a job in PL but let be honest it'll be risky for him to join a relegation team knowing that he has no experience.

Zidane worked for 3 years with the second team before getting the first team. The same for Guardiola.

He won't be in the light of the club but he'd still be there waiting for his chances, and if he does well for the U21 no doubt he would be considered after Mou (expect if Simeone or Ancelotti becomes available)
He won't get the United job by simply biding his time anymore.
I think we had the opportunity to do that after Van Gaal but passed it.

The last guy promoted from within was one of our worst ever managers. We are unlikely to go that route anytime soon.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why doesn't Ryan manage Salford? He part owns it after all, and he wouldn't have the pressure and scrutiny.

It'd be an excellent chance for him to implement his philosophy, without any one breathing down his neck if he loses a few games. Besides, it would be a good challenge for him to try and get them promoted.

sugar_kane

If Joyce goes to Wigan I'd much rather see Nicky Butt take over his role, although not sure if that's technically a step down for him?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

If Giggs is willing to come back I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't think we should appoint him as our manager anyway, but at least it'd give him a team with which we can get some measure of how he's performing/if he's getting results etc.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If Joyce leave then we should bring in someone with experience to replace him.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
No way would Giggseh come back in a minor role like that. Have you not read his articles? He seems to think he's some managerial genius, wrote an article about how to counter Liverpool's pressing game, it was basically just hoof it to Fellaini but he tried to explain it tactically:lol:

Acole9

Outstanding
Please can someone just hire him, any club. He's a bloody awful pundit and it's painful to watch him on Itv and Sky.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Please can someone just hire him, any club. He's a bloody awful pundit and it's painful to watch him on Itv and Sky.
Haha, he's getting a little better I think.

Still very wooden, but not quite as robotic as he was when he began.

Doesn't have any authority when he speaks though, I was thinking yesterday that, rightly or wrongly, if I knew nothing about either of them other than their punditry, I'd probably imagine Jamie Rednapp would be a more natural manager than Ryan Giggs.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I wouldn't mind seeing Jamie Carragher give management a crack. Don't think he's interested though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I can easily see him go the Neville route and go into punditry full time.

I think he has no chance of being United manager now though.
I don't see him becoming even a half-decent manager to be honest. Why anyone was thinking he should manage us full time baffles me.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
I can easily see him go the Neville route and go into punditry full time.

I think he has no chance of being United manager now though.
Agreed, easy money to be made and prob end up inside Rachel Riley's pants.

That or he could work very hard to ultimately earn a role here as manager and risk whats left of his reputation that wasn't tarnished with the brother's wife stuff.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Agreed, easy money to be made and prob end up inside Rachel Riley's pants.

That or he could work very hard to ultimately earn a role here as manager and risk whats left of his reputation that wasn't tarnished with the brother's wife stuff.
I don't think working hard would get him the United job.

It takes so much more. No matter how poor we are now,it's still one of the biggest jobs in the world.

Flames73

I bet those behind the scenes at Swansea are thinking he would have been a better punt than Bradley. Couldn't see him doing any worse. Would be a lot more competitive, I reckon.
I can't see Bradley staying on for much longer. But Giggs going to Swansea now is not a good move imo. Relegation battle for a new manager will not end well. But then, there is never the perfect opportunity, you kinda just have to take what is given to you sometimes, or you are, like Giggs, forever just spoken as a potential manager and never the manager.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I bet those behind the scenes at Swansea are thinking he would have been a better punt than Bradley. Couldn't see him doing any worse. Would be a lot more competitive, I reckon.
Ferguson could have come out of retirement and Swansea would still be struggling.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Giggs wanted to spend £40m apparently and Swansea obviously didn't want to input that much.

GazTheLegend

Ferguson could have come out of retirement and Swansea would still be struggling.
Ferguson would have them mid table by the end of the season. Look up St Mirrens problems when Alex took them over, they didn't have a goalkeeper and had 8 full time players and he won the league :lol:

Giggs should take any managerial
post he is offered at this point. He needs the experience if he actually
aspires to manage us someday

Oscie

He probably turned down the chance to manage at a few mid-top level Championship sides and maybe relegation-strugglers in the PL under this illusion he was Manchester United level management material. For someone who's never worked outside United and who only went into coaching years after most player do because of how late he retired, it's really surprising he didn't throw himself into getting as much experience as soon as he possibly could, even if it meant learning Spanish or German or whatever, and going to learn from coaches overseas.

Sitting by the phone and waiting for the right offer for 2 years is what you do if you're 60, have amassed an impressive coaching CV and can be picky about your choice of job opportunities. I know he coached under Moyes and Van Gaal but they were almost default positions, given to him not because someone wanted to employ him but because the people who he worked for thought it'd be good PR to keep him on (+ some nonsense about 'succession'). I wouldn't be surprised if we were sat here this time next year talking about 'ideal' roles for Giggs to first get into management. And the year after that.

ZupZup

Sir Alex would have stressed to him how important it is to take the right job. A place where you have confidence in the club's ownership and them in you etc.

There is no way he should be taking any job offered. You just have to look at what happened to Solskjaer at Cardiff which seemed like a big gamble at the time with the quality of their squad and their current ownership.

Given how managers are written off so easily in today's footballing environment, there will be no more important choice than his first managerial job. Given that he's always said he planned to take this season off, I don't see any reason to rush his next move.

marlowe78

Don't do it. Find a job at a stable club in Championship or League One and get the CV started. Stop looking for shortcuts.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Don't do it. Find a job at a stable club in Championship or League One and get the CV started. Stop looking for shortcuts.
I agree he shouldn't take it

But wouldn't call this Swansea job a short cut

It's a huge challenge