g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

ZupZup

After the way the Swansea owners briefed the press saying he underwhelmed in an interview?

He needs to tell them to feck right off...

prath92

He shouldn't go anywhere near Swansea now. Swansea also needs a manager the opposite of Giggs. Experienced and who can bring stability and results more than anything. Pardew maybe.

Robertd0803

He should tell them to go get fecked. Swansea at this stage would be the wrong job to take for a first time manager. Arguably it would have also been wrong at the start of the season.

RedRover

Bradley being absolutely useless.
Yet still being a much more experienced manager than Ryan Giggs.

Swansea have a crap squad. They sold umpteen strikers and brought no quality in. The PL finds out teams who lack quality - especially upfront. Whoever gets the job will struggle unless they can spend a fortune in January on someone who can get some goals.

ZDwyr

What's the ownership/board structure like at Swansea? For a few years they were such well run club. If it is purely on-field issues then Giggs should consider it. Even if they get relegated, if the club is solid off-field they'd have a good shot of bouncing back up again. If they're a total mess though then he should steer clear.

izec

He wont take that job. He was reluctant so far, would be an idiot to take it now. No chance, even if they wanted him, which would be madness on their part too

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
No chance they sack Bradley, only to give the job to an even less qualified manager.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
He shouldnt take this job. The possibility of failure is very high given the status quo. Its a minefield.

ti vu

Can't talk for someone like Giggs, but personally I rather take a Championship team with potential than taking this job at this stage of season, especially if it's my first real managerial job. Also the owners seem to be unprofessional too: they sold all the good players, managers seem to have to deal with with it, bad mouth (briefing?) candidate, seem to be the kind to overstep manager while seem like knowing nothing/little about football...

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If Swansea's owners really want to get themselves relegated and make it look like they definitely don't care about the club then yeah go on, hire Giggsy.

Lj82

He probably turned down the chance to manage at a few mid-top level Championship sides and maybe relegation-strugglers in the PL under this illusion he was Manchester United level management material. For someone who's never worked outside United and who only went into coaching years after most player do because of how late he retired, it's really surprising he didn't throw himself into getting as much experience as soon as he possibly could, even if it meant learning Spanish or German or whatever, and going to learn from coaches overseas.

Sitting by the phone and waiting for the right offer for 2 years is what you do if you're 60, have amassed an impressive coaching CV and can be picky about your choice of job opportunities. I know he coached under Moyes and Van Gaal but they were almost default positions, given to him not because someone wanted to employ him but because the people who he worked for thought it'd be good PR to keep him on (+ some nonsense about 'succession'). I wouldn't be surprised if we were sat here this time next year talking about 'ideal' roles for Giggs to first get into management. And the year after that.
And you are saying this based on what?
None of us actually have any idea about what kind of jobs he was offered and whether he actually turned them down.
When he went for an interview with Swansea, he came out saying that there was no meeting of minds between him and the club management.
Giggs was mocked at by many Utd fans for being "above himself" in not wanting the job.
But it now looked like he was probably right. The Swansea job was a poisoned chalice right from the start.

Its really a tricky period for Giggs actually. The managerial job in football is a high-risk profession. Just look at Gary. He went to Valencia with many people having high hopes for him, and his managerial career crashed within months. Or look at Solskjaer. Won the Norwegian league with Molde, took a risk and went to Cardiff only to have his reputation tarnished.

For someone like Giggs, I'm hoping that he would be sensible enough to take up some internship through his network in the footballing world at some foreign clubs, just to see how clubs in other leagues operating on a different level from Utd are run. There is no rush for him to go into management immediately, and I believe seeing more of the footballing world outside Utd would be beneficial to Giggs.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Not going to rule out the prospect of Giggs being considered. Huw Jenkins was keen on back when a replacement was needed for Guidolin, as we know the Americans thought they had a better idea. Jenkins I'm sure will still seek out Giggs interest but it won't be reciprocated.

RedDevil@84

I think it will be ridiculous to appoint someone with no experience to save a sinking ship. It won't do a world of good for Giggs to get his first big job become so challenging.

Oscie

And you are saying this based on what?
None of us actually have any idea about what kind of jobs he was offered and whether he actually turned them down.
True to an extent, in the last 2 years the following jobs have become available at some time or another:

Hull
Sunderland
Wolves
Coventry
Villa
Swansea
Palace
Cardiff
Derby
Leeds
Liverpool
Charlton
Newcastle
Bolton
Everton
Watford
Fulham
QPR
Blackburn
Manchester City
Huddersfield
Chelsea
Reading
Barnsley

Of course not all were suitable. He was never getting the City job for example. We know that. But it's not as if there haven't been opportunities there and vacancies that have arisen. Were they ALL wrong? Or did they ALL not want him?

If it's the former he's been far too picky, if the latter then you have to question his chances of securing future employment if none of those clubs wanted to go there. Or I should say: haven't employed him so far.

He isn't a Science graduate with a major in a specific field of nuclear engineering of which there exists one company in Europe he could possibly ever work for. If he wanted to be employed by now he would have been. Given that he had so little experience outside of one employer and is starting much later than his peers due to his prolonged career you'd have thought he'd leap at the chance of experience as soon as possible. Instead he's sat alongside Ian Wright and Lee Dixon in the studio for England matches. I'm sorry but I question his commitment to actually doing the thing he supposedly wants to do.

ZupZup

Have you ever heard him speak? Underwhelming is being polite.
Regardless, do you not think it's pretty disrespectful and unprofessional for the owners to brief the press about his interview or their discussions with him? All whilst they championed Bradley as some tactical genius based on their talks with him... more to justify their own 'left field' appointment of a fellow American than anything else.

ZupZup

True to an extent, in the last 2 years the following jobs have become available at some time or another:
Why 2 years? The announcement that he'd left United was literally less than 6 months ago.

Since then he's always said he planned to take a year off having been playing or coaching non-stop since he first put on his boots for United. He said in his farewell statement he had no immediate plans to go straight into management, although it is where he ultimately wanted to be.

You make a lot of strange assumptions.

Oscie

Why 2 years? The announcement that he'd left United was literally less than 6 months ago.

Since then he's always said he planned to take a year off having been playing or coaching non-stop since he first put on his boots for United. He said in his farewell statement he had no immediate plans to go straight into management, although it is where he ultimately wanted to be.

You make a lot of strange assumptions.
As opposed to other people who go into coaching? Does he think people end their careers at 32/33 having taken all of age 27 off?

Again a bizarre decision. He gives every impression of someone who was in love with the idea of managing Manchester United but less enthusiastic about actually being a coach. Let's face it he only got the coaching job here because of some misguided obligation to tradition/continuity the club had as a folly. The only thing he was prepared to do to get the manager's job here is hang around and wait for it to be offered. He didn't think "Hang on, to do this job justice I've a lot to learn and experience to gain".

Nothing about him speaks to me as someone who has the drive to become a manager. And there's nothing wrong with not wanting to be a manager but let's be honest, come out of the closet and drop the "he just hasn't met the right club yet" act.

Last edited:

FahadiHossein

Can't talk for someone like Giggs, but personally I rather take a Championship team with potential than taking this job at this stage of season, especially if it's my first real managerial job. Also the owners seem to be unprofessional too: they sold all the good players, managers seem to have to deal with with it, bad mouth (briefing?) candidate, seem to be the kind to overstep manager while seem like knowing nothing/little about football...
It is rumored that the American owners are looking to use Swansea as a link-bridge to the MLS. They are also targeting Bill Hamid to move to the EPL with Swansea. Bob Bradley is supposed to be the first step towards this transition. Giggs should be careful working with such bosses, because this means that they will buy him players that he doesn't need and not give him players that he needs.

ZupZup

Again a bizarre decision. He gives every impression of someone who was in love with the idea of managing Manchester United but less enthusiastic about actually being a coach. Let's face it he only got the coaching job here because of some misguided obligation to tradition/continuity the club had as a folly. The only thing he was prepared to do to get the manager's job here is hang around and wait for it to be offered. He didn't think "Hang on, to do this job justice I've a lot to learn and experience to gain".
Yeah, you're absolutely right. If he wanted to be a coach, he probably could have done his coaching badges or something? At least show some intent... imagine if he even went out and became the first person to get their UEFA Pro Licence whilst still a player! I mean he could have done that but... oh.

AlwaysRed66

The managerial job in football is a high-risk profession. Just look at Gary. He went to Valencia with many people having high hopes for him, and his managerial career crashed within months. Or look at Solskjaer. Won the Norwegian league with Molde, took a risk and went to Cardiff only to have his reputation tarnished.
I know the general opinion is that Gary Neville was a failure at Valencia, but his successors are hardly doing any better, & as of now they are one place of the relegation spots. Obviously the problems go deeper than Neville's managerial ability. At least he is articulate & speaks well, which is more than you could say for Giggs. Hardly see him inspiring anyone, certainly not me.

FahadiHossein

I also realize that there are many of you on this forum are way too eager for Giggs to take over at Manchester United when Jose leaves. There are many of you who are criticizing his decision not to take up the job at Swansea or jobs at any small club and floundering around.

The truth is that there many things that the professionals know and they hide these things from the public. These are usually locker room or inner circle talk. The professionals tell each other privately but these things are not allowed to be leaked to the public.

Perhaps the real reason Giggs turned down is because he knew all along how the management at Swansea City is. The Guidolin and Bradley incidents have already shown us how the management under the Americans is. Of course, he can't tell the public that and has to find the most politically correct answer about "not matching his own ambitions".

Clubs and journalists are an unforgiving bunch of people in England. They give no second chance. After Gary Neville got sacked by Valencia, no one mentioned him again. That's why British managers are scared to manage, because if they fail, they won't be given a second chance. Barcelona gave Luis Enrique a second chance after he failed at Roma. Ancelotti was sacked several times but was given a new opportunity to start all over again at different clubs. Glenn Hoddle, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Steve McClaren, Kevin Keegan, Peter Reid...the list goes on. If any of these names get mentioned when a position is available, everyone will go, "oh, he got sacked by so-and-so before". Why not give Giggs some time to find a club that he finds the most suitable and the most likely for him to succeed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

AndyJ1985

If he does well he'll be hailed as the next Guardiola and destined to be United manager. If he gets relegated and sacked it won't be his fault, because Swansea are shit anyway and no one could improve them.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Ryan Giggs a contender for Swansea City job despite failing to impress during his interview in October

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I know the general opinion is that Gary Neville was a failure at Valencia, but his successors are hardly doing any better, & as of now they are one place of the relegation spots. Obviously the problems go deeper than Neville's managerial ability. At least he is articulate & speaks well, which is more than you could say for Giggs. Hardly see him inspiring anyone, certainly not me.
He was a failure at Valencia.

It wasn't just the defeats there but the manner of defeats .He had one of the worst win percentages in modern Spanish top flight football.

It's the Moyes excuse all over again.My successors have struggled therefore I wasn't much of failure myself.

RedDevil@84

I can see Giggs getting fired and the papers running an article on how the class of 92 made good players but bad managers.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I also realize that there are many of you on this forum are way too eager for Giggs to take over at Manchester United when Jose leaves. There are many of you who are criticizing his decision not to take up the job at Swansea or jobs at any small club and floundering around.

The truth is that there many things that the professionals know and they hide these things from the public. These are usually locker room or inner circle talk. The professionals tell each other privately but these things are not allowed to be leaked to the public.

Perhaps the real reason Giggs turned down is because he knew all along how the management at Swansea City is. The Guidolin and Bradley incidents have already shown us how the management under the Americans is. Of course, he can't tell the public that and has to find the most politically correct answer about "not matching his own ambitions".

Clubs and journalists are an unforgiving bunch of people in England. They give no second chance. After Gary Neville got sacked by Valencia, no one mentioned him again. That's why British managers are scared to manage, because if they fail, they won't be given a second chance. Barcelona gave Luis Enrique a second chance after he failed at Roma. Ancelotti was sacked several times but was given a new opportunity to start all over again at different clubs. Glenn Hoddle, Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Steve McClaren, Kevin Keegan, Peter Reid...the list goes on. If any of these names get mentioned when a position is available, everyone will go, "oh, he got sacked by so-and-so before". Why not give Giggs some time to find a club that he finds the most suitable and the most likely for him to succeed?
That isn't true at all.

It was Celta Vigo that actually gave Enrique a chance to rebuilt his career. It was only after he had done well there that Barca showed interest. Ancelotti got fired by Real Madrid and Chelsea.After finishing second.He wasnt a total failure at either club. Heck, he wasnt much of failure at either.hes a multiple champions league winner that has had success wherever he's been. Those are poor examples.

RedDevil@84

Didn't Giggs say that his ambitions and Swansea ambitions didn't match? Wonder what has changed.

Zoo

Ryan Giggs a contender for Swansea City job despite failing to impress during his interview in October
He impressed Huw Jenkins but not the American owners who went on to appoint Bob Bradley, that went well...

Daily Fail are a joke.

acnumber9

That isn't true at all.

It was Celta Vigo that actually gave Enrique a chance to rebuilt his career. It was only after he had done well there that Barca showed interest. Ancelotti got fired by Real Madrid and Chelsea.After finishing second.He wasnt a total failure at either club. Heck, he wasnt much of failure at either.hes a multiple champions league winner that has had success wherever he's been. Those are poor examples.
Ancelotti was sacked by Parma and Juventus as well.

All depends who he thinks his name can attract in early Jan and he would need assurances.

Swansea are somehow just 4 points off safety and have a few decent players, but feck me they need at least 4 new early January signings for anyone to have a chance at saving them.

GBBQ

If he gets relegated and sacked it won't be his fault, because Swansea are shit anyway and no one could improve them.
I don't buy this, they're 4 points from safety at the moment with half a season to go. 4 teams above Swansea have only won 1 more match than them so we're not talking about a lot of form teams to catch either.

If he does take it on he'll have to accept a large portion of the blame for relegation if it happens.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't buy this, they're 4 points from safety at the moment with half a season to go. 4 teams above Swansea have only won 1 more match than them so we're not talking about a lot of form teams to catch either.

If he does take it on he'll have to accept a large portion of the blame for relegation if it happens.
Agreed. If Giggs has genuine ambitions to manage United, he should really be proving himself in a job that's actually quite difficult, or where he's faced with a tricky task.