Ryan Giggs | Interviewed for Wales job

lem8sh

And where have I said he should be given the job? If his experience makes United the best fit for him, does that make him the best fit for United? I don't know how else you've interpreted that.
How is a club the size of Manchester United currently striving not to fall further behind their mega rich city rivals a good fit for a manager with ZERO experience?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Simple fact is club's cant afford to go down and play the long game

Look at De Boer, he was hired to change the philosophy of a team and to improve the football, sacked after 4 games and showed a lot of promise in his last game in charge and was unlucky to lose

Giggs is still living in the 1990's and hasn't caught up to the modern way

Guardiola coached Barcelona B before being offered the Barca job, he did such a good job there he was picked over Mourinho

If you are good enough you rise to the top so he can't expect to be given an EPL job despite never managing a team before as head coach

Paul Clement did it but he worked as a long time as a no.2 then finally got his break

Giggs should look at a championship side imo

AndyJ1985

I didn’t think there was anything wrong with what he said. Bonus point for having go at Stevie G (who probably has less coaching credentials than Giggs but is part of Klopps team)
Gerrard is getting real world experience as a coach working with a good manager, while Giggs is busy giving interviews, being a pundit, and hanging around waiting for a big club to hand him a job as manager.

dichinero

How is a club the size of Manchester United currently striving not to fall further behind their mega rich city rivals a good fit for a manager with ZERO experience?
This is not a discussion about giving Giggs the United job or his abilities as a manager. His limited managerial experience makes United the only club imo that might be within his comfort zone, due to his history and connection. Thats all I'm saying.

lem8sh

This is not a discussion about giving Giggs the United job or his abilities as a manager. His limited managerial experience makes United the only club imo that might be within his comfort zone, due to his history and connection. Thats all I'm saying.
Even with his connection to the club the sheer size of it would be overwhelming for someone of his no experience imo. He simply has to work his way up.

dichinero

Even with his connection to the club the sheer size of it would be overwhelming for someone of his no experience imo. He simply has to work his way up.
Of course he has no divine right to the job, no one does. I'd have rather him been given the u23 job but even that doesn't still guarantee anything.

He feels like his experience and connection with the club can play to his advantage, which is a fair point but whether it's a great point is another question for another discussion.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Makes me laugh to hear some people say coaches are stuck in the 90s and not up to date with modern football, as though they're all football gods here to pass judgement on the mortal managers that grace the game.

Do you honestly think the likes of Giggs, who is around football every day, doesn't recognise change. Yet you sat in front of your telly, and posting on the internet, can?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Makes me laugh to hear some people say coaches are stuck in the 90s and not up to date with modern football, as though they're all football gods here to pass judgement on the mortal managers that grace the game.

Do you honestly think the likes of Giggs, who is around football every day, doesn't recognise change. Yet you sat in front of your telly, and posting on the internet, can?
I certainly think he’d have more progressive ideas than Mourinho.

acnumber9

Gerrard is getting real world experience as a coach working with a good manager, while Giggs is busy giving interviews, being a pundit, and hanging around waiting for a big club to hand him a job as manager.
Ryan Giggs has more experience of coaching than Steven Gerrard. About twice as much.

siw2007

There is sense in that Giggs would be better suited to coaching the higher ability players, as someone who spent his entire career working and training with the very best talent either British or foreign, he probably has firm knowledge on how to work with and develop this profile of player.

Though I wouldn't be against Giggs coaching our first team, it would only work under certain conditions. The issue is is that he would probably bring in his class of 92 mates as his staff and between them they wouldn't cope with the demands as Man United is just too big a club with too high expectations. What he would need to do is bring in a large world class coaching set up to support him on the training pitch, just take a look at Pep's coaching staff, for all his genius he literally brings an army with him wherever he goes, we even had to give City a few extra seats on the front row. We would need a similar set up for him alongside a sporting director who could support him with the football management side of things. It would have to be a huge commitment either way.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
He does have a point and I think United would be the best fit for his experience but whether he is ready is the question
Utd would be the best fit for my experience too. Obviously an easy job is the best fit for everyone with zero experience and an unknown level of talent. The problem is that giggs or me aren't the best fit for Utd.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I know. Silly. Unless they follow someone round and ask him his ideas how do they know? A lot of coaches update their ideas and techniques all the time by visiting other clubs and countries to observe training sessions

Dobbs

Yeah good point.

Though if I was him I wouldn't have cited "four games" as evidence of his experience. That feels a bit weak. As does him pointing out his working hours. That he did for a short period of time two years ago.

I get him being wary though. Reality for a new manager is you'll probably get sacked within a year and that'll be your career in management over. So not a bad idea to wait for the best possible circumstances. Not too much longer though Ryan.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Look where experience has got us. We’d certainly have our identity back with him, Scholes and Butt on the coaching staff. I think it’s a major problem in World Football these days that managers with no experience aren’t getting a crack. At this moment in time I just want to see some attacking football.

The Bloody-Nine

Look where experience has got us. We’d certainly have our identity back with him, Scholes and Butt on the coaching staff. I think it’s a major problem in World Football these days that managers with no experience aren’t getting a crack. At this moment in time I just want to see some attacking football.
Two trophies last season, top of our Champion's League group and currently third? It's a disaster. Let's get Giggs in.

Ban

Attacking football under a manager with no top flight experience. Hell, with no experience at all?
Sounds like a good plan.

Not.

The Bloody-Nine

Attacking football under a manager with no top flight experience. Hell, with no experience at all?
Sounds like a good plan.

Not.
Not exactly true. He took charge for four games. You can see some interesting behind the scenes footage of the kind of progressive thinking and inspirational leadership he displayed if you watch 'The Life of Ryan'.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
...and also Still Open All Hours.

Ban

Not exactly true. He took charge for four games. You can see some interesting behind the scenes footage of the kind of progressive thinking and inspirational leadership he displayed if you watch 'The Life of Ryan'.
Yeah, you're right. Let get him in. :D

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah, you're right. Let get him in. :D
Yeah, there was obviously stonking evidence that Giggs also know how to build a title challenging team after those 4 games also. People really are spoiled by Fergie's ability to do this, to the point they think anyone can do it in their second season at a club.

LJJT

Biggest screw up of all, in hindsight, is letting the greatest manager of all time retire, then some new guy with zero experience of United come in and Rip it all up. Putting Giggs in SAF’s seat leaving all A’s was would have been no worse than the shite we’ve endured for last 5 years. Give it Giggsy, before it’s too late

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Giggs would quite easily be able to obtain managerial experience if he wanted a job at a lower level. The problem is that he (seems) to have expressed little desire for this.

Identity can obviously come from former player if they're able to get results but it's a vague concept anyway, and tends to mostly be defined by fans as 'the time when we won lots of stuff'. Fergie didn't have much of a connection when he came here but is remembered as having helped to forge/adapt United's footballing identity because he won a shit-ton of trophies.

Offside

Two trophies last season, top of our Champion's League group and currently third? It's a disaster. Let's get Giggs in.
Currently third? We were 5 points clear in second not long ago and at the start of the month we were keeping track with 1st. Standards have dropped massively with our fans it seems. 'Currently third' for christ sake :lol: :lol:

The Bloody-Nine

Currently third? We were 5 points clear in second not long ago and at the start of the month we were keeping track with 1st. Standards have dropped massively with our fans it seems. 'Currently third' for christ sake :lol: :lol:
Yes, we are currently third. It's called stating a fact.

"Five points clear in second" :lol:

The Bloody-Nine

I've come round to the idea of Giggs as manager in the last few days. I'm just sick of one defensive coach after another.
As a coach Giggs has worked under Moyes and LVG. What do you think he gleaned from their collective wealth of experience? How to play attacking football?

Jaybomb

Giggs was around during that shower of shite with Moyes and Van Gaal. He was partially responsible for it and has to take some of the blame aswell. He was on the coaching staff, making the decisions and preparing the players.

Right now that’s all that’s on his CV and in my book, that’s not impressive enough to be Manchester United manager.

Trust Mourinho and stop letting sentimentality cloud your judgement.

If Giggs is eligible for the job, then why not give it to Scholes or someone like Wes Brown too? They’ve been around Fergie for decades so why not them? It’s baffling logic.

Loublaze

ATLien
It's called being realistic. Of course we expect more but lets not fall into the traps of severe delusion that Liverpool fans succumbed to after 1990

Offside

It's called being realistic. Of course we expect more but lets not fall into the traps of severe delusion that Liverpool fans succumbed to after 1990
It seems many have already fallen in the trap that Liverpool fans succumbed to after 1990, which is that being 3rd in the league is acceptable. I mean fair enough if it was the manager's first season and he had't spunked millions and millions of pounds...or if we were showing real signs of progress. In fact, we accepted European qualification and trophies last year as acceptable, every single attacking player's form this season has dropped and dropped to the point confidence is shot, we HAVE spunked millions and pounds and have recently looked barely better than LVG - and we were second yesterday so are dropping down positions! Third just isn't acceptable. We should have been challenging for the league this year.

There's nothing realistic about it. Realistically, Mouriniho just isn't delivering is he?

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
It seems many have already fallen in the trap that Liverpool fans succumbed to after 1990, which is that being 3rd in the league is acceptable. I mean fair enough if it was the manager's first season and he had't spunked millions and millions of pounds...or if we were showing real signs of progress. In fact, we accepted European qualification and trophies last year as acceptable, every single attacking player's form this season has dropped and dropped to the point confidence is shot, we HAVE spunked millions and pounds and have recently looked barely better than LVG - and we were second yesterday so are dropping down positions! Third just isn't acceptable. We should have been challenging for the league this year.

There's nothing realistic about it. Realistically, Mouriniho just isn't delivering is he?

Maybe 3rd isn't acceptable for Utd. Isn't that an argument for changing the manager rather than appointing giggs though. Why him and not kanchelskis or Neville or scholes? Give it a year and maybe rooney? Utd are in a fantastic position where they can take their pick on staff. To take a random punt of Ryan Giggs would be utterly ridiculous

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So Moyes struggled and failed quite spectacularly.
LVG struggled. He won a trophy, but he ultimately failed in turning us into a powerhouse.
Jose. One of the best managers in the World is currently struggling to get us the results that many of us are demanding.

Given the above, what sane person who knows anything about football, would want Giggs, who has 4 games' management experience to take over? Is this perhaps a running joke, one which I am not in on?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The press and opposition fans are bad with United and Mourinho now, imagine what it would be like with Ryan ‘affair for 7 years with wife of brother’ Giggs as manager.

His reputation is tarnished and I would not want him here for that alone. He is damaged goods in my opinion.

Imagine the chants from the away fans at Old trafford, and the chants at every away stadium United played at. “He’ll shag your wife, he’ll shag your wife, oh Giggsy he’ll shag your wife.

The press and other clubs fans are having a field day over our ‘negative football’ and have been having a field day ever since Fergie retired. It would only get worse with Giggs as manager.

Oh yeah, he has no managerial experience either.