g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ryan Gravenberch | signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Not good enough for Bayern makes him good enough for United?

zaafi

They are one of the best teams in the world, and we are very far from that. Not saying he is good enough for us, or that he isn't. Just that it's a very silly argument.

RikRuud

I like him. He's very good at keeping the ball in tight spaces and carrying the ball forward. Great composure which is something our midfield lacks in abundance when Eriksen is not on the pitch.

croadyman

I like him. He's very good at keeping the ball in tight spaces and carrying the ball forward. Great composure which is something our midfield lacks in abundance when Eriksen is not on the pitch.
Let's at least get a loan with option/obligation to buy in place for him next week

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I read in another thread here (not a source) that the story is that the scouts weren't impressed and passed when he was at Sao Paulo FC.

More here (so apparently The Athletic) :
It’s been clear for years that it’s not the scouts / ground level contribution that is lacking but our executive level excellence. We desperately need a DOF and / or a transfer committee to take the lead in this regards - everything cannot be down to the manager alone. Every other top club has a strong structure behind the manager that makes recommendations, acts based on data, sometimes overrules the manager etc We are just - manager will decide. It’s amateurish.

amolbhatia50k

I don’t really get this obsession with Amrabat, personally. All I ever see is World Cup highlights for a half decent game against France.

The solution to our midfield with what we already had was to sign a no.8 (an actual central midfielder) who has the capacity to run with the ball, retain it under pressure, and make 70+ passes a game.

Our midfields biggest strengths were playing on the transition with long balls. They’re all fecking atrocious at the short passes. Instead of hiding our flaws we’ve only exacerbated that by adding yet another counter attacking no.10 to hide in the middle of the field. Mount made FIFTEEN passes against Spurs in 85 minutes. 15!
The only reason there’s an obsession is because with a week to go for the window to close, he’s a midfielder who contributes in deeper areas who we are strongly linked with. Otherwise he doesn’t look a special transformative player to me - more squad or rotational player level. But regardless of a 6 or 8, this team can do with more players who can help the buildup phase.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Are you 5 years old?
What could go wrong?

We have gone from Bayern stalwart Hargreaves, to past sell-on date Schweinsteiger, to perennial substitute Sabitzer, to unwanted flop Gravenberch in the space of a few years.

The history of our transactions with Bayern says a lot about the state of our club.

amolbhatia50k

Are you 5 years old?
It’s fair to ask why he hasn’t worked at Bayern though. From the noises I hear it seems his work ethic off the ball, immaturity and professionalism have been the underlying issues. That’s a worry if true. We don’t want to make a Ndombele type signing who is all style and no substance.

croadyman

It’s been clear for years that it’s not the scouts / ground level contribution that is lacking but our executive level excellence. We desperately need a DOF and / or a transfer committee to take the lead in this regards - everything cannot be down to the manager alone. Every other top club has a strong structure behind the manager that makes recommendations, acts based on data, sometimes overrules the manager etc We are just - manager will decide. It’s amateurish.
Will only change with new ownership

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It’s fair to ask why he hasn’t worked at Bayern though. From the noises I hear it seems his work ethic off the ball, immaturity and professionalism have been the underlying issues. That’s a worry if true. We don’t want to make a Ndombele type signing who is all style and no substance.
And your approach to looking at it is completely valid.

The other posters „Not good enough for Bayern makes him good enough for United?“ simply sounded like elementary school.

trailertrash

Supports
Bayern Munich
I mean it's obvious that Tuchel doesn't like him, dude hasn't even got a sniff for Bayern. Even after Laimer absolutely burned against Leipzig in that Cup game... Kimmich needs a physical presence next to him, Goretzka has been perfect for that, now that Goretzka is not a very good option, Tuchel still doesn't give Gravenberch any time. I mean the dude is 21... I'm absolutely fuming he hasn't gotten more of a chance and think he'll do real good whereever he goes, granted he'll be given playing time.

greater wall

What could go wrong?

We have gone from Bayern stalwart Hargreaves, to past sell-on date Schweinsteiger, to perennial substitute Sabitzer, to unwanted flop Gravenberch in the space of a few years.

The history of our transactions with Bayern says a lot about the state of our club.
That's a fair assessment. ETH knows about Gravenberch's potential from his Ajax days so worth a punt I think. Bayern could well drop the price in the last hours of the window so holding an option looks sensible.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Obviously the back up. If we can’t sell anyone else we’ll loan him on deadline day rather than buy Amrabat.

mu4c_20le

I'd much rather him than Amrabat tbh, as he has a much higher ceiling.

He could also turn out like Ndombele, mind

Zed is not dead

Apparently Bayern is interested in McTominay. Does that make him suddenly our best midfielder?

While I don’t particulary rate Gravenberch, the fact he’s being sold is not the only indicator of his ability as a player

aeh1991

You have the likes of Man Utd Kone or Kephren Thuram, but of course we are more interested in a Dutch Bayern flop who is an ex Ajax player. Too risky to me but if it's just a loan with option to buy, I'd accept that.

dinostar77

Or he could be a midfield version of martial. Watching the Pythagoras in boots analysis of him sets off alarm bells. Giving the ball away, not always being motivated. Another one of these "players with potential", personally id rather have someone who puts a shift in, works his arse off, sets the tone and is mentally really strong.

Ryan is none of these, but hes worked with ETH before, so thats enough apparently.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His style seems similar to Mount. I'm hoping we're looking for a deeper playmaker, but he'll be a decent option if EtH insist with these two 10 formation.

But then this might be the death of whatever chance Mejbri has this season.

Last edited:

Suv666

Looks very mediocre I’d rather Amrabat, but both are quite meh

Trex

Could you say the same about McTomminay? I have a feeling that if we do complete the swap we'll wish we kept McTomminay
I'll rather try something new, we all know what Scott offers and it hasn't gotten us far.

Lemoor

Why are they ready to get rid ?? What has gone wrong ?
21 year old, who wants to play, is not getting required gametime, is on a much bigger wage than their deep squad players and still has resale value that seems unlikely to go up.

croadyman

Think this is our best hope of a midfield signing before Friday,still hoping we bring in someone who unexpected that's an all rounder

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He wants to leave due to lack of playing time. However also he isn’t that good
He is plenty good and there is a lot of potential there.

Gravenberch made the wrong move to Bayern, Bayern also made a move for him that made no sense for them given the options they already had. Everyone had a mare and if we can benefit from it then happy days.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is neither a controller nor has a big enough engine for the other profile IMO. He’ll be like Pogba, only a lot less good than Pogba I suspect.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is plenty good and there is a lot of potential there.

Gravenberch made the wrong move to Bayern, Bayern also made a move for him that made no sense for them given the options they already had. Everyone had a mare and if we can benefit from it then happy days.
He is not that good in my opinion. Jack of all trades master of none midfielder.

SATA

I read he was very good at Ajax and a wonderkid, that’s why Bayern were willing to shell out the money to buy him. I personally have not seen him play though Ten Hag will know a lot about him

Gupz

Back in his Ajax days he was compared with Frenkie a lot, and he was suppose to become a better version of Frenkie. But hey, a Wish-version of Frenkie is still better than McT.

Wrecking ralf

We need options in the middle. Sign Amrabat, loan Gravenberch. That’ll be good business considering how late in the windows we’ve left it

Status
Not open for further replies.