Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney | Wrexham AFC Watch

MegadrivePerson

Won't FFP hamper Wrexham quite a lot going forward? How will they be able to afford to pay big wages?

Lecland07

Won't FFP hamper Wrexham quite a lot going forward? How will they be able to afford to pay big wages?
Sponsorships are high due to the publicity they are getting and, if they keep getting promoted reasonably quickly, that trend will continue into the higher leagues.

I do wonder how they will cope if promotion starts to take them a long time, though - interest may begin to wane if it goes on for too long and big-paying sponsorships will likely become harder to come by.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sponsorships are high due to the publicity they are getting and, if they keep getting promoted reasonably quickly, that trend will continue into the higher leagues.

I do wonder how they will cope if promotion starts to take them a long time, though - interest may begin to wane if it goes on for too long and big-paying sponsorships will likely become harder to come by.
I think by that point they will be able to rely on outside investment that will enjoy having the Reynolds link up.

tomaldinho1

Probably not until they get (if they do) into the higher leagues.

Turnover they are rumoured to already be bigger than some Championships clubs with the renewal/success of the documentary (the official numbers won't be out until March I think though). The sad truth is wages in League 2 and League 1 aren't that much of a step up, average salary is about £7k a week in League 1 (Mullin for reference is on £4.5k reportedly) and there are a handful over £10k a week so you can likely expect they will be poaching from League 1 and even the Championship. Maybe this shows how weak the football pyramid really is, many clubs are struggling financially.

scottser

Jaysus,players in the League of Ireland would be lucky to top €100k per year.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
16 appearances in Championship last season. Could be a decent signing for a League Two club.

cafecillos

All the replica kits on their site (at least all the more demanded sizes) sold out just a few days before the pre-orders opened. I'd like to see the merch sales numbers compared to other clubs in the same level, they must be ridiculous.

Raven

I like the 2 lads as actors but is anyone else sick to death of the circus they've created at Wrexham?

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I like the 2 lads as actors but is anyone else sick to death of the circus they've created at Wrexham?
Not me, I'm loving it and find it fascinating. Might be different if you're closer to it and it's dominating your airwaves though.

Eric_the_Red99

That’s funny. I actually think RR is incredibly overrated as an actor, who isn’t nearly as funny as he thinks he is. But I do respect his achievements as a businessman, including what him and Mac have done at Wrexham. Saying that, Wrexham has definitely become overexposed, and I tend to ignore most of the coverage now. It’ll be interesting to see how they get on in League Two, and if it will all come to an end if they really struggle.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's less a circus and more just really good for the community what they've done. Media attention isn't always a circus.

Raven

That’s funny. I actually think RR is incredibly overrated as an actor, who isn’t nearly as funny as he thinks he is. But I do respect his achievements as a businessman, including what him and Mac have done at Wrexham. Saying that, Wrexham has definitely become overexposed, and I tend to ignore most of the coverage now. It’ll be interesting to see how they get on in League Two, and if it will all come to an end if they really struggle.
Reynolds has pretty much one character but at least the character is funny. I just find this whole thing so fake and narcissistic.

Big Andy

Bloke
I live in Wrexham and the buzz about the place is great. I went to a Wrexham game before the takeover, and there were about 5,000 there. It's sold out every week now, Wrexham tops everywhere. Lots of local kids seem to support Wrexham over the bigger teams, or at least as well as.

The only problem with Wrexham is it gave us that bellend Bootlegger.

MrQuentin

I grew up in Chester, so can't profess to have any love at all for Wrexham AFC, but these days I work in Wrexham and the impact they have had on the town (now city) is immense.

A few years back it was one of the most depressing, bleakest towns out there and the future looked downright sad. Now there is investment, there is a buzz around the place, excitement about the future, new businesses are opening up, new opportunities coming to the city, tourists...

Not all of it down to the takeover obviously, but they have played a massive role and for that, I can't help but give them massive kudos. Long may it all continue for them. Running the club properly with a genuine interest in improving the local community too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I live in Wrexham and the buzz about the place is great. I went to a Wrexham game before the takeover, and there were about 5,000 there. It's sold out every week now, Wrexham tops everywhere. Lots of local kids seem to support Wrexham over the bigger teams, or at least as well as.

Who?

strandty

This season it seems they're limiting ticket sales for UK based supporters but having allocations for overseas ones...

JB7

Just over 3k there last time I was there in 2015. Saw my local side win 4-0 there, which was a good day out. Remarkable turnaround in what was a dying club to be fair.

Gavinb33

I just hate the way that they've made it all about them.
Yeah that's not what they've done at all, listen to the podcast with the big forward they signed Palmer iirc both owners told all the players if you have something on the side you want to do and make some money from we'll help you do it across all our platforms as they know the players at that level don't earn as much as PL, then in documentary they've given the community of Wrexham so much and that's pretty much what they wanted to do and why they bought the club they wanted to change the fortunes of not just the club but the whole town too

Parkinson is a cnut though

acnumber9

That was always going to happen. It became oversaturated and what was once a feel good story will flip completely. I can’t imagine fans of other League 2 clubs will enjoy being a footnote for Wrexham.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The influx of American fans for Wrexham are.....eh.... they're quite something ...

I like the guy who claims we have been sued multiple clubs for injuries sustained by our players. Surprised he hasn't said that his brother works at United's legal department etc.
Why do people feel the need to BS so badly? Its not like they get some financial benefit from it?

Last edited:

Santos J

How serious is the mullin injury?
Read that it's a punctured lung which sound very bad.
Can be painful but usually a couple months max recovery and not usually any long term complications to worry about

miked99

I don't watch films, so I had no idea who either of the owners were prior to the takeoever. But they both come across as class acts. Seem to have no ego about them at all.

I especially liked the interview with Ryan Reynolds when, straight after the final whistle and winning promotion, he went out his way to heap praise onto Notts County and said how he was rooting for them to come up too, how much they deserved to be getting promoted alongside them and how brilliant they'd been all season. Thought that was absolute class.

The constant media fawning is going to grate on some eventually. Jamie Jackson's match report reads like he's a Wrexham fan. But that's not the owners fault.

The manager on the other hand, what a twat.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Reynolds is mildly amusing.

I don't care about Wrexham beyond what I care about any other league 2 club and I don't like the idea of people buying football clubs to make then into some kind of "look at me" circus.

If it wasnt some kind of status or self promotion thing there are about ten million more worthy causes out there than who owns Wrexham FC.

I mean if they wanted to own a lower league football club fair enough, but why would I care.

Also if you want your club to be a media circus you probably shouldn't have a manager who publicly threatens opposition U21 players. It doesn't take much for media attention to become a bad thing.

Santos J