Ryan Sessegnon

Atmadeep Dutta

We need first choice stars instead of Ryan Sessegnon.. Just someone like Ozil and a good striker will do. Sessegnon might turn into an another Luke Shaw here. We need someone experienced unlike one season stars.

Ekeke

I doubt they see it that way, having one of the brightest prospects in the English game on their hands.

As for him not being what we need because he won't immediately bridge the gap w City, I think that's a bit short-term way of seeing things. Yes, we need to buy quality for our first team as soon as we can. But if we can get one of the most promising youngsters before our rivals, then it is a no brainer IMV.

Given that we've got a high sell-on % in the Zaha deal, and that he's likely to leave in Jan/summer, that might go most of the way to pay for Sessegnon.

Do people now no longer want to buy the most promising youngsters?
Of course they want to maximize on a sale if they're letting a player go. But realistically they can sell him for a decent amount and buy someone in their mid 20s with more experience and the same current level and they'll be more than fine. They wont get the fruits of his improvement over the space of 5 years (assuming he doesnt fall away or have problems with injuries, etc, like a lot of young players) but in terms of right here right now they can easily replace him and make a healthy profit

And I dont see anyone saying they dont want us to sign the most promising youngsters, but we're not talking about one of the most promising young players in the world who is proving himself in a top league.

We're talking about one of the more promising young players in the UK who is proving himself in the championship. There are many tests ahead of him.

Does anyone know what the highest transfer thus far is when buying a player from the championship? £25 million would surely be the record right?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Aye. There is no other transfer anywhere close to this. Maybe players being sold for around 15m at the most. And that probably not for any teen. Not sure there are comparable deals in recent history. Maybe Walcott to Arsenal, but from an established Prem club and then Zaha from Palace to United for what, 15m, while Walcott went for around 5m. The market has obviously changed and the reported figure of 25m I'd suspect is a total amount including add-ons (then again, maybe not).

I just don't see it as serious outlay if he proves a player. It is a valid point though, whether or not he gets game time, as his development obviously depends on that. Do the rumours say whether or not he'd stay on at Fulham till the end of the season?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not sure why people are against this. He's a left back/winger type, one of the brightest English prospects out there and adds pace. Obviously he won't be a starter, but just because we need some immediate quality doesn't mean we just ignore signings like this. When people talk about future teams for United, there's pretty much just Rashford as part of it, and maybe Shaw now, but getting another promising homegrown player can't hurt. Also can be a proper winger type so it helps. All for it.

Robbie Boy

Definitely see him as a LB long term. I think he would be a fantastic signing and we could do what we done with Zaha and let him stay at Fulham on loan until the end of the season.

Robbie Boy

Why would you want someone with his goal scoring ability at leftback?
Sure that's his natural position and it's fantastic that he's getting the opportunity to also play further forward so he can see that side of the game too. Terrific prospect and he'll be a hell of a LB in the future.

Robbie Boy

They've got a gap in their squad for an attacking player - especially on the left so I can see room for him.
Maybe. Most of the links came when it looked like Rose would be off. His stock is continuing to rise though so I can see plenty of teams looking to get him. He's also shown how adaptable he is this season and his attacking output has been fantastic.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah I think him and his brother will be at Spurs next season, its been bubbling for a number of transfer windows now.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I don’t get why there’s such a hard on for this guy just because he’s English born (no offense whatsoever).

Honest to god have never really heard of him and by the looks of some of the replies, people are willing to dish out £25M just because he’s English. He wouldn’t even be a first choice starter and it’d essentially be history repeating itself all over again (Shaw), with Luke being someone the team is looking to move on from. Don’t get if it’s a football thing or an EPL thing but every other sport/league you want the best players regardless of nationality. Don’t get why people are glad to settle for a much less quality player just so they’re able to say “well hey he is a homeland player”...

Womp

idiot
I don’t get why there’s such a hard on for this guy just because he’s English born (no offense whatsoever).

Honest to god have never really heard of him and by the looks of some of the replies, people are willing to dish out £25M just because he’s English. He wouldn’t even be a first choice starter and it’d essentially be history repeating itself all over again (Shaw), with Luke being someone the team is looking to move on from. Don’t get if it’s a football thing or an EPL thing but every other sport/league you want the best players regardless of nationality. Don’t get why people are glad to settle for a much less quality player just so they’re able to say “well hey he is a homeland player”...
Sessegnon has the potential to be one of the best LB's in World football. His ability in the attack for his age is phenomenal. It's not just because he's English, it's because he's already a top player and will only get better. This is the sort of player who in a few years we'll be regretting not being interested in.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Hoping we actually give Shaw a chance before we go with this guy.

Womp

idiot
Think we will. It looked impossible, but Shaw seems to have worked his way back into Mourinho's plans. He's had an underwhelming career here so far, but he's still very young and can turn things around. He's been looking great recently so if he keeps it up, he'd end up saving us a lot of money.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I don't think that's fair, if you haven't hear of him that's your own problem id say most fans that follow football on a decent level, and I mean not just your own team would know who RS is. 5 goals in 25 last season, 5 in 24 this season at the ripe old age of 17, from a player who plays mostly as a left back. This kid will be the next big thing if he keeps developing the way he is. £25M is a steal.

Steven Seagull

This is just rubbish. If he was Brazilian you’d be saying it’s only because he’s Brazilian. Engange your head

MadMike

Why would you want someone with his goal scoring ability at leftback?
I don’t think LB would make good/full use of his talents but I reckon LWB/LM in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, similar to [Irrelevant point] for Chelsea, might be. From the very little I have seen of him at least, so could well be wrong here.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

It's an EPL thing and rightly so.

Most other sports the US is the end game. With football you have 4-5 leagues competing for the top talent and England is the least attractive destination for non-football reasons. A homeland player is less likely to be wishing to move to Spain and -football aside- also less attractive to the Spanish sides than a latin language speaker with better chances of cultural fit.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He may well be a top prospect, but not convinced it makes the most fiscal sense. Seems expenditure needs to prioritised now with current market prices.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Hope its nonsense. He's had 1 game where he scored a hatrick from left wing and then in 2 other games in that position he has an assist and another goal. But thats 3 games in the championship. He's also had 2 games as a forward on the left with no results and as a leftback he's been average.

Yes he's very young and had 1 outstanding game in the championship. That shouldnt instantly make someone who, if you took that one performance out, would quite an average performer a £25 million player.

Januzaj, Macheda and Wilson had early impacts in the first team in the premier league which is much harder. Are they £25 million players too?
The ramblings of a man who's reading off Whoscored and has never actually seen him play, then.

MadMike

Even if we go for this guy, he won’t be thrown into the cut and thrust immediately. Being a starter for Fulham in the Championship ain’t near the same as top of EPL or CL level. He’d probably start with domestic cup games and sub appearances for a year or two, unless he shows exceptional progress (which is all the better). In any case a bit of competition is not a bad.

Plus we have LBs to get through before we get to Shaw. Darmian and Blinds positions are far more threatened. They have fallen behind Shaw and Young in the pecking order which doesn’t bode well at all for players who are supposedly at the peak of their careers age wise. And by the time Sessegnon is ready to be a regular starter for a top EPL side, Young will be either at the very end of his career or already retired.

So I don’t see how this could be a problem for Shaw getting chances in the near future. In the longer term if RS proves better and takes his place, then tough luck for him.