Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilPure

For some reason, I kept thinking he is in his 30s but he is still only 26, seems like he has been around forever. Let's sign him. Can't go wrong with one of Atletico Madrid's defensive player.

Gandalf

Kante was a second league player in France never seen many scout him, I wouldn’t just credit our scouting staff too highly either. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t have a great season and a big club pick him up…

You not a scout anymore?
Never said I was a scout but Bissouma is starting his 4th season in the PL with Brighton and has played around 100 games for them. You may not rate our scouting department but the fact that nobody has tried to sign him suggests that every big clubs scouting department has taken a look and decided to pass. He might be what we need but on the balance of probability I am going to say that the complete lack of interest in him from top 6 sides in every big league says a lot more than the opinion of a Caf poster.

Deery

Dreary
Never said I was a scout but Bissouma is starting his 4th season in the PL with Brighton and has played around 100 games for them. You may not rate our scouting department but the fact that nobody has tried to sign him suggests that every big clubs scouting department has taken a look and decided to pass. He might be what we need but on the balance of probability I am going to say that the complete lack of interest in him from top 6 sides in every big league says a lot more than the opinion of a Caf poster.
I meant a scout on the forum, may have mixed you up with another person..

Anyway just because the top six haven’t taken a considerable interest doesn’t mean he’s not a top player, Brighton bought him quite soon after he signed for his last club so obviously they’ve seen something in him. We bought Fred for £56m just because City were looking at him and Fernandinho and Willian were walking about London before anyone signed them, doesn’t fill me with much confidence for scouts to be fair..

Highfather_24

The switch to 4-3-3 is this myth that will never happen. 4-3-3 is not that different from a 4-2-3-1 anyway, and often we play 4-3-3 on the ball. This obsession with it, as if formations are inherently "Attacking" or that a "double pivot" is defensive is just nonsense. We played scintillating football under SAF with a "double pivot".

The only reason people want a 4-3-3 is this myth that it will suddenly mean that Pogba/Bruno wont need 2 more solid mids behind them and it will "unlock Pogba/VdB". This obsession with turning Pogba into a CM when he isnt one, I really dont understand.

Everytime I see someone complain about a 4-3-3 it gives me joy. Really hope Ole never switches, as I do enjoy the meltdown.

SinNombre

I am not so sure. The scouting departments of every big club in the country have had years to watch him and there has never been a credible link to any of them making a bid or even sniffing around. Brighton fans suggest he shows up big now and again but is also very inconsistent. I think he is a level below what we need.
Every club scouts every player and for every Mane, there is a Schneiderlin

So, he'll end up on the bench then?
Even if he does, would you rather have Saul or the corpse of Matic coming off the bench.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This switch to 4-3-3 is this myth that will never happen. 4-3-3 is not that different from a 4-2-3-1 anyway, and often we play 4-3-3 on the ball. This obsession with it, as if formations are inherently "Attacking" or that a "double pivot" is defensive is just nonsense. We played scintillating football under SAF with a "double pivot".
Well said. It’s barely even a “double pivot” Fred and Mctominay both get forward a lot anyway.

manuchamp88

Every club scouts every player and for every Mane, there is a Schneiderlin

Even if he does, would you rather have Saul or the corpse of Matic coming off the bench.
I know what you mean, but I just hope (if we do get him) he'd start.

laughtersassassin

Would be irresponsible to not get him on load when you consider our Midfield is holding us back so much

laughtersassassin

A team trying to win versus a team pretending to do.

We always do things in half measures.

Good luck to us next season when we need a DM a Pogba replacement and a Striker......

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Good luck to us next season when we need a DM a Pogba replacement and a Striker......
Not particularly. We don't need Saul, Saul is not a DM, so no wonder we're only talking with the player. Who says Pogba is even going, he may still sign a new contract.

That being said, I still believe there will be some movement either on deadline day or a couple days before, any more deals are going to be late.

laughtersassassin

Not particularly. We don't need Saul, Saul is not a DM, so no wonder we're only talking with the player. Who says Pogba is even going, he may still sign a new contract.

That being said, I still believe there will be some movement either on deadline day or a couple days before, any more deals are going to be late.
We need a Midfielder this summer.

Ideally a DM but failing that Saul on loan would be great.

Beggers can't be choosers and right now our Midfield pivot is in desperate need of an addition. Without one it will feck up our season.

Also Chelsea don't need him at all.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Difference between a team who has to balance the books and a team that is sugar daddy bankrolled.

Godfather

I see zero downsides on a loan deal. Nobrainer. I'm not convinced he is all that but our depth in CM is a joke

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

But he isn't a DM.

Gandalf

It's a loan with an option to buy so that ain't it.......
His wages are huge so if he is not guaranteed to be starting a high number of games there is not much reason to do it. Once you factor in wages and an inevitable loan fee the deal still probably ends up in the 15m range and if Ole is just going to stick him on the bench that is 15m we won't have in the budget when a player we really want becomes available. I personally like the idea of a loan but the perception that this is some kind of freebie is miles off the truth.

laughtersassassin

His wages are huge so if he is not guaranteed to be starting a high number of games there is not much reason to do it. Once you factor in wages and an inevitable loan fee the deal still probably ends up in the 15m range and if Ole is just going to stick him on the bench that is 15m we won't have in the budget when a player we really want becomes available. I personally like the idea of a loan but the perception that this is some kind of freebie is miles off the truth.
I wouldn't say this excuse works either when we just extended Mata and Lee Grant to essentially have zero contribution to our season.

Teja

The switch to 4-3-3 is this myth that will never happen. 4-3-3 is not that different from a 4-2-3-1 anyway, and often we play 4-3-3 on the ball. This obsession with it, as if formations are inherently "Attacking" or that a "double pivot" is defensive is just nonsense. We played scintillating football under SAF with a "double pivot".

The only reason people want a 4-3-3 is this myth that it will suddenly mean that Pogba/Bruno wont need 2 more solid mids behind them and it will "unlock Pogba/VdB". This obsession with turning Pogba into a CM when he isnt one, I really dont understand.

Everytime I see someone complain about a 4-3-3 it gives me joy. Really hope Ole never switches, as I do enjoy the meltdown.
I personally want to setup a filter to remove posts that mention a "DM" or "4-3-3". I can't resist getting into that argument and then I regret it.

laughtersassassin

Facts are not an excuse. I agree that I think it is a deal worth pursuing but the false narrative that it isn't going to be an expensive deal is a fairy story.
But we willingly decided to pay Mata to stick around and do nothing? That costs arlund half of what Saul would cost and his contribution is nothing on the pitch as he doesn't play.....

The point is it's as cheap as we are going to get. Up front we have spent very little this summer. Both Varane and Sancho are spread over 4-5 years.

So the excuses are just that. You can't willingly keep players who never play and then complain that we can't afford a player on loan.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yep.

I suspect the coaching/recruitment teams are rather more concerned with specific qualities and metrics in which our midfield falls short. For example if their primary concern is better ability to pass between the lines and progress the ball in that area of the pitch and they have signings in mind who can do that, I don't think they'll particularly care if that player does it as a DM in a 4-3-3 or a CM in double pivot. Skinning the cat is what's important, the way you do it much less so.

Though regarding the bold, if you really want to enjoy a meltdown you should hope we do switch formations only to continue playing one of McFred in the midfield three alongside the DM and Bruno.

bosskeano

how many fuking players does chelsea need??? they already have 2 teams out on loan and now they want to buy Kounde and go after Saul for a loan deal.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
how many fuking players does chelsea need??? they already have 2 teams out on loan and now they want to buy Kounde and go after Saul for a loan deal.
The club operates on a pretty strict one in, one out policy these days. We will sell Zouma and use those funds for Koundé. We had 4 midfielders and then sent Billy Gilmour out on loan so need a replacement which is where Saul may come in.

We aren’t just stockpiling loads of first teamers in positions where we’re crowded.

Betson

Will admit do not know much about him as not an avid viewer of La Liga , but reading about him from those who have watched him a lot would not fill you will a lot of confidence , seemingly he has been struggling for form for a while now and might not to do anything to improve us in anyway , that might be why we are bit cold on him even in a loan scenario. Will he thrive in the premier league ? looks a gamble.

Anyway looks like Chelsea have moved ahead and are now closer than us to signing him.

Brophs

The One and Only
The club operates on a pretty strict one in, one out policy these days. We will sell Zouma and use those funds for Koundé. We had 4 midfielders and then sent Billy Gilmour out on loan so need a replacement which is where Saul may come in.

We aren’t just stockpiling loads of first teamers in positions where we’re crowded.
Get the point you’re making but just ignoring the fact you have Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley and Loftus Cheek knocking around, unwanted, who cost the club something like £90m, is a touch selective, no?

croadyman

You are just stockpiling because money is of no object to you guys just like City, got more than enough quality in midfield compared to us whereas due to our poor planning we are now forced to make a sale to get even a first choice player

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Get the point you’re making but just ignoring the fact you have Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley and Loftus Cheek knocking around, unwanted, who cost the club something like £90m, is a touch selective, no?
True. I should’ve said 4 midfielders that actually had a chance here.
You are just stockpiling because money is of no object to you guys just like City, got more than enough quality in midfield compared to us whereas due to our poor planning we are now forced to make a sale to get even a first choice player
I mean, you guys have spent more than anyone in recent years so there’s clearly no issues there. And you’ve got more numbers in your first team midfield than we do as well. We’ve got 3 and you e got about 5.

croadyman

True. I should’ve said 4 midfielders that actually had a chance here.
I mean, you guys have spent more than anyone in recent years so there’s clearly no issues there. And you’ve got more numbers in your first team midfield than we do as well. We’ve got 3 and you e got about 5.
Yeah difference being our options should be squad players

Oaencha

Looking at his heatmaps for last season he is hovering mainly around the left half way line. Surely he will clash with Pogba?

jesperjaap

Not really seen much of him the last couple of years bar champions league to comment on the decline...is/was a quality player but along with Neves, he doesnt really excite me as a signing. Totally different players and wrong thread to comment on Neves, but Saul is good all round, versatile but is he really top drawer, years I have followed him, only really a season or so he stood out. Getting on now, but Koke really suited us far more than SAul I feel and its a lazy comparison, but Id see him as a bit or a Herrera signing, improves on what we have at the time, does ok but doesnt really bring us up enough....and if he has declined as some say....no.
There are seeral other players I would sign, he kind of smacks of a last minute signing based upon is name.

Oaencha

Tonali, Vieira and Adams would be more interesting to look at. Not for this season, but long term.

croadyman

Not really seen much of him the last couple of years bar champions league to comment on the decline...is/was a quality player but along with Neves, he doesnt really excite me as a signing. Totally different players and wrong thread to comment on Neves, but Saul is good all round, versatile but is he really top drawer, years I have followed him, only really a season or so he stood out. Getting on now, but Koke really suited us far more than SAul I feel and its a lazy comparison, but Id see him as a bit or a Herrera signing, improves on what we have at the time, does ok but doesnt really bring us up enough....and if he has declined as some say....no.
There are seeral other players I would sign, he kind of smacks of a last minute signing based upon is name.
Would take anything and don't think we should wait it out another year looking at Sunday

Withnail

Looking at his heatmaps for last season he is hovering mainly around the left half way line. Surely he will clash with Pogba?
I think he was played off the left last season. He's apparently very versatile and can play anywhere in midfield and has played fullback so I don't think that would be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.