Sadio Mane | Bayern player

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s a one contract signing for Bayern more or less. Yes Liverpool could have attempted to hold out for more but he was in his final year next year. Instead of putting him on a contract like Rashford and Martial are on now they ship him out and almost break even on their initial investment and he was a major success while he was there. I think it’s great business for all involved, the player included.
You’re way off the mark here. Great business for all is absolutely laughable

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Probably not letting his contract run down was the best idea?
Didn't have much of a choice there. We wanted to keep him and were negotiating all the way up to this summer, then he decided he wasn't going to get what he wants in terms of pay so decided he wanted to go. If we'd sold him a year ago we might've been unable to get someone else in and would've been left incredibly short in terms of quality up to.

TheReligion

Abusive
Didn't have much of a choice there. We wanted to keep him and were negotiating all the way up to this summer, then he decided he wasn't going to get what he wants in terms of pay so decided he wanted to go. If we'd sold him a year ago we might've been unable to get someone else in and would've been left incredibly short in terms of quality up to.
I’m not saying you are but anyone trying to spin this as some fantastic deal for Liverpool is talking bollocks.

You’d think players pass away at 30 and lose all value and worth. Bayern have picked up a bargain and Liverpool are massively weakened.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I’m not saying you are but anyone trying to spin this as some fantastic deal for Liverpool is talking bollocks.

You’d think players pass away at 30 and lose all value and worth. Bayern have picked up a bargain and Liverpool are massively weakened.
Yeah agree about the age bit. Look at Benzema this season. It ultimately comes down to the wage structure FSG have and how strict they are with maintaining it. Makes situations like this difficult.

We'll only be weakened if Nunez flops. If he comes in and scores 20 goals (matching Mane's output) then we won't miss him as much. Mane's very good in big moments though. He can win a game with a crucial goal or come up with a big moment. That's something we might miss a fair bit. That and his pace up top.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sensible from Klopp really. He's gambling that they can maintain their level with new signings, rather than have their stars age together.
Perhaps. The most sensible thing - given their wage structure - would have been to look for buyers for either of them a year or two ago.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good for Liverpool to let go their faithful star for cheap as a reward. That's how you do it, Bayern.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Mazraoui has signed on a free, not Laimer. Let's hope though that the latter deal doesn't materialize.
I forgot about Mazraoui, another awesome capture.

I thought Laimer was pretty much done? You don't want him?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Mane is probably as good a replacement as one could hope for Bayern to sign in terms of individual quality, but as a fan I'd be a bit scared that Nagelsmann can't pull off the unorthodox striker setup.
As a fan i'm not yet sure *what* Nagelsmann can pull off, but i go patiently into the new season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great news for everyone else to see them lose such a key, versatile, almost unbreakable injury wise star player.

Great news indeed.

It's no given the new guy will hit it hard day one. Or that their other forwards, bar Salah will be as good next year.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He's not going to improve us in any way, would be a pointless transfer just like the Sabitzer one was. Laimer too will be better off somewhere at his level.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I don’t see it as positive as most here. Yeah sure, he might have been their most consistent attacker the last few years.
But it was obvious that he wanted to take on another challenge and Liverpool have to renew their forward line which they started to do.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Lots of Liverpool fans doing their usual. It was time to go, we will take that deal etc…

When only 6 months ago he was underrated and one of the best players in the world.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's not going to improve us in any way, would be a pointless transfer just like the Sabitzer one was. Laimer too will be better off somewhere at his level.
Maybe not the first XI no but every elite club needs squad depth, and he offers that no? And a different sort of option in midfield too to the likes of Kimmich, Goretzka and Gravenberch.

Sabitzer I sort of get (even though I thought that too at the time was great value), but Laimer for €20m - which really isn't a lot of money at all in today's game - seems like great business. Especially as he's reuniting with a former manager and it weakens one of your main rivals.

Blackwidow

Bayern doing some great business so far, as you'd expect from such a well-oiled machine.

Mane, Gravenberch and Laimer it looks like so far for around £60m in total initially. Outstanding stuff.
Actually non of that really heals the wounds Bayern has.

We would need a more defensive no. 6 that is still able to be part of the build up play (not an agressive no. 8 that is good against the ball but bad in keeping it like Laimer)
We would need a central defender with a good tactical understanding who is able to lead the defense and who is good in the build up
And - if Lewy goes we need a top centre forward who might not be near Lewy's category but who is an allrounder with good technical abilities

It is good players that Bayern bought - and I can live with the money that was spent on them - but the biggest issues still aren't solved. Nobody needs to be surprised that Gnabry did not sign an improved offer - he has the same agent like Mane...

Roca left for good money to Leeds today. But - there is still Sarr, Sabitzer and maybe Omar Richards to get rid of.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t see it as positive as most here. Yeah sure, he might have been their most consistent attacker the last few years.
But it was obvious that he wanted to take on another challenge and Liverpool have to renew their forward line which they started to do.
Exactly.

If Mane hadn't gone up a level after moving centrally this wouldn't be talked about the way it is. By the look of it this was essentially agreed in January.

We can't be in a situation one or two years from now when we need to replace all three of Firmino Salah and Mane because we're too scared to move them on until they are clearly past it.

It's very much like Bob Paisley really, who had a strict philosophy of letting players lose their legs on someone else's dime.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The amount of times mane got the first or 2nd goal in a Liverpool win was absolutely gutting as a United fan.

Tight game he always seemed to break the deadlock. Or, they were 1-0 up but the opposition were missing a few chances only for him to add the second and kill it.

Diaz is a good player but he's nowhere near Mane for me and at nearly 26 he never will be I hope

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Lots of Liverpool fans doing their usual. It was time to go, we will take that deal etc…

When only 6 months ago he was underrated and one of the best players in the world.
6 months ago he was still recovering after an awful season in 20/21. Hardly one of the best in the world at the time.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
The amount of times mane got the first or 2nd goal in a Liverpool win was absolutely gutting as a United fan.

Tight game he always seemed to break the deadlock. Or, they were 1-0 up but the opposition were missing a few chances only for him to add the second and kill it.

Diaz is a good player but he's nowhere near Mane for me and at nearly 26 he never will be I hope
The one thing Mane had in spades until 2021 was bottle. More than any Liverpool player I can recall I think. Never shirked and was never rattled. He could miss a sitter then blam it in from 20 yards five minutes later.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

Six months ago he was off to AFCON on the back of some terrible form. Prior to scoring against Chelsea at SB he had no goals or assists in nine or ten games. His time since AFCON has been very good and coincided with him moving to a striker position.

Salah had a better August to December, whilst Mane has been better since January. Jota also had a very good first half of the season and then tailed off. None of our forwards had a consistently strong 2021/22 season.

I think Mane's a great signing for Bayern and we'll miss him. I'm hoping Klopp knows what he's doing with Nunez and we'll adapt how we play as a result of these transfers.

skc_18

Good for Liverpool to let go their faithful star for cheap as a reward. That's how you do it, Bayern.
Selling for cheap? Guy is 30 year old and is on last year of contract and getting sold for almost 40m euros.
Very sensible business from Liverpool. Sure, if they play hard-ball may be they will get 5-10 million more but there is a chance that they might lose him free next year. Wish United were this smart with Pogba in last couple of years.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The one thing Mane had in spades until 2021 was bottle. More than any Liverpool player I can recall I think. Never shirked and was never rattled. He could miss a sitter then blam it in from 20 yards five minutes later.
I was honestly really upset when he went to Liverpool. Pretty sure if the thread can be found when he was linked to United before Liverpool I was absolutely up for him coming to United over the voices of those saying that signing mid table players was the way to be become a mid table club.

Being delighted to see him go is the biggest compliment I can pay any Liverpool player.

Looking forward to seeing off Van Dijk, Salah, Allison and the rest over the next few years :D

RepardReece

That's a big loss. Some Liverpool fans can kid themselves all they want that it was a good time to move him on.

30 is no longer that old in football and he was not showing any signs of slowing down. That being said, watch him slow down at Bayern because he's no longer on his inhalers or whatever

Liverpool has done well replacing him on the other hand with Nunez and Diaz.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
6 months ago he was still recovering after an awful season in 20/21. Hardly one of the best in the world at the time.
You wouldn’t know that from what the Liverpool fanbase were saying. It’s always been the same, even when Liverpool weren’t doing well. They always had the best players and the best prospects, until they left, and then, suddenly, they are nothing special.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You wouldn’t know that from what the Liverpool fanbase were saying. It’s always been the same, even when Liverpool weren’t doing well. They always had the best players and the best prospects, until they left, and then, suddenly, they are nothing special.
Nah. Mane had been amazing for us. World class. But six months ago he was merely a good player coming off the back of a poor season.

Been world class of late like. Going out in peak form.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
That's a big loss. Some Liverpool fans can kid themselves all they want that it was a good time to move him on.

30 is no longer that old in football and he was not showing any signs of slowing down. That being said, watch him slow down at Bayern because he's no longer on his inhalers or whatever

If we didn't have two other first team forwards the same age maybe we wouldn't. But we have to renew our forward line and it isn't done in one summer.

I'll miss him and wish he were staying tbh. But can't deny that there is some sense in being proactive on this.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

If we were Man City Mane wouldn't have gone anywhere. We'd have given him whatever he wanted either directly or through the Middle East sponsorships. We're not so he's gone sadly. We will miss him but hopefully not too much.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You must be joking here? Absolutely dead deal for Liverpool.
Yeah it’s an awful deal for Liverpool, I know people think the sun shines out of Klopp’s arse these days but I’d be very annoyed with this deal.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If we didn't have two other first team forwards the same age maybe we wouldn't. But we have to renew our forward line and it isn't done in one summer.

I'll miss him and wish he were staying tbh. But can't deny that there is some sense in being proactive on this.
Surely Firmino’s the first one you want out of the door seeing as he’s been a bit crap for a while now? Certainly not Mane who was carrying the attack when Salah and Jota went limp.

IrishRedDevil

Firmino :lol:

Salah potentially leaving on a free :lol:

Redlyn

The options were to pay him what he wants, sell now or let him walk next season on a free. They chose to sell now. The sensible choice, but it's not like Liverpool decided to sell him because they wanted to refresh their team.

On the other hand we would have gven him a blank cheque or lost him for nothing.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Surely Firmino’s the first one you want out of the door seeing as he’s been a bit crap for a while now? Certainly not Mane who was carrying the attack when Salah and Jota went limp.
He was the one I thought would go this summer (Firmino not Mane).

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

The idea that Bayern pay massively more than Liverpool isn't backed up by the wage bill. Plus if he was greedy for money he would have waited till next summer. It looks to me that he just wanted to try something new.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I forgot about Mazraoui, another awesome capture.

Most Bayern fans, myself included, don't want him, no.

Laimer is one of the best midfielders in Europe when it comes to winning the ball and pressing.
On the other hand his passing is quite poor.

I don't think that he is what our squad needs and as Kimmich is set in stone, Laimer would have to compete with Goretzka, Gravenberch and Sabitzer if he stays.

FergiesBoot

Mane has been without doubt a fantastic signing for Liverpool, debatably their most important signing.

IMO he's not the same player he was 2 years ago, even though his stats have been very good last year. He's lost a tonne of speed, strength and agility - there was a time when he was peaking he would never give the ball away and always choose the right option, if you watched him this year closely you'd see it's not the case anymore.

He cant beat players consistently and is constantly throwing himself to the ground or losing possession. His first touch is declining too. Still an excellent finisher who will do well through the middle for Bayern in a weaker league but I don't think his loss will hurt Liverpool much - Klopp is undoubtedly aware of his decline.