Sadio Mane | Bayern player

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Map showing where Mane's goals have come from for Liverpool. As long as Bayern get him the ball in the box, he'll score for them.

Surely any player in the world who scores over 20 a season scores the vast majority from inside the 18 yard area?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Surely any player in the world who scores over 20 a season scores the vast majority from inside the 18 yard area?
Only two goals from outside the box in six years is a little surprising to me. Especially considering that he's got a good shot on him.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
That 360k is at best Euro and gross. I would expect him to earn €20m p.a. gross.
b it over 20 Mio, on par with top earners Neuer and Müller is what the media says. how much comes on top of that by "exclusive" sponsorship deals is up, to speculation. what shoe company is he connected to? :)

great signing for us no doubt. still i dont get how that elevates Brazzo from clumsy apprentice to manager genius. Lets face it, if what we read is half true, Sane absolutely wanted to come to us; and his lack of skill in making players feel valued still apparently is at least half to blame for losing Süle, even Alaba and pissing off Gnabry and Lewa all,of whom but Alaba seem fo be willing to accept *less* money contracts. Him and also Kahn, respectively their relationship. this was something we used to be very good at under Hoeness ( as much as i cant stand his face recently)

troylocker

The world would be a better place if more footballers shared this perspective (I think this was from last season):

Sadio Mane, a Senegalese soccer star, earns approximately $10.2 million annually. He gave the world a rude awakening after some fans were flabbergasted when they saw him carrying a cracked iPhone 11. His response was awesome:
"Why would I want ten Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, and two jet planes? I starved, I worked in the fields, played barefoot, and I didn't go to school. Now I can help people. I prefer to build schools and give poor people food or clothing. I have built schools and a stadium, provide clothes, shoes, and food for people in extreme poverty. In addition, I give 70 euros per month to all people from a very poor Senegalese region in order to contribute to their family economy. I do not need to display luxury cars, luxury homes, trips, and even planes. I prefer that my people receive some of what life has given me."

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The world would be a better place if more footballers shared this perspective (I think this was from last season):

Sadio Mane, a Senegalese soccer star, earns approximately $10.2 million annually. He gave the world a rude awakening after some fans were flabbergasted when they saw him carrying a cracked iPhone 11. His response was awesome:
"Why would I want ten Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, and two jet planes? I starved, I worked in the fields, played barefoot, and I didn't go to school. Now I can help people. I prefer to build schools and give poor people food or clothing. I have built schools and a stadium, provide clothes, shoes, and food for people in extreme poverty. In addition, I give 70 euros per month to all people from a very poor Senegalese region in order to contribute to their family economy. I do not need to display luxury cars, luxury homes, trips, and even planes. I prefer that my people receive some of what life has given me."
Mane could not score another goal for us and I'd still be happy we paid him. Top bloke.

ti vu

Great lad.

Glad he left Liverpool. He's good for them, and they're horrible bunch. All the revisionism after he left is disrespectful. Even angled it to sound like Mane's motivation is mostly about money.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

I don't know if it's true even though I've seen it before but he's a very likable chap , always professional and hasn't done anything unbecoming of himself.
One of those who wish we could have gotten instead.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don't know if it's true even though I've seen it before but he's a very likable chap , always professional and hasn't done anything unbecoming of himself.
One of those who wish we could have gotten instead.
I remember we were linked when LVG was in charge and he was at Southampton the caf was outraged because we should have been aiming for higher quality players (pedro apparently)

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mane-from-the-sublime-to-the-ridiculous.408266/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sadio-mané.408248/

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Mane could not score another goal for us and I'd still be happy we paid him. Top bloke.
He is an absolutely wonderful human being Masha Allah, and I am gutted we lost such an inspiration on and mostly off the field. I absolutely love him and wish him all the best.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Could Liverpool have actually held on to mane?

He was mercurial for them and I think his loss is going to hit them hard, it's difficult to see how they're going to replace his influence.

If they could have kept them they made a mistake by not doing so.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Posted yesterday after after United scored :lol:

Skills

Snitch
Liverpool fans have been downplaying how crucial he was in the second half of last season.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
What happened to him???

He's been awful for Bayern. Was it Klopp making him look better than he was??

You would expect a "world class player" to do well in the Bundesliga.

dinostar77

What happened to him???

He's been awful for Bayern. Was it Klopp making him look better than he was??

You would expect a "world class player" to do well in the Bundesliga.
11 games and 5 goals isnt too shabby. Especially while getting used to a new system and new teammates.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
11 games and 5 goals isnt too shabby. Especially while getting used to a new system and new teammates.
It's not even about statistics.

Of late, his all round game has been so off. Poor first touch, struggling to dribble past any player, missing chances, etc.

He looks lost and is messing up his basics. Looks a shadow of his old self.

Given his age and player profile, I won't be surprised if this is actual decline honestly.

He was so good at Liverpool.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
It's not even about statistics.

Of late, his all round game has been so off. Poor first touch, struggling to dribble past any player, missing chances, etc.

He looks lost and is messing up his basics. Looks a shadow of his old self.

Given his age and player profile, I won't be surprised if this is actual decline honestly.

He was so good at Liverpool.
This is exactly how he played for the entirety of the first half of last season for us. Could barely control the ball, first touch dreadful, short passes misplaced continuously, easily dispossessed and significantly short on pace losing foot races with players he’d have skinned a season earlier. Salah carried us during this period. Threads galore on both rawk and LFC forums re how his decline had begun if you check.

The upturn came after he was moved centrally by klopp to play a central striking role in the second half of the season, coupled with improved confidence after the africa cup.

It’s only fans of other clubs who don’t watch us regularly who observed him banging in the goals in the latter half of the season who think his decline hadn’t already begun at the start of last season.

He’s nowhere near quick enough to play on the wings now, for example. It means he needs to be played centrally where his speed of thought and decent finishing ability means he can still score a good volume of goals for a team that creates chances, but I expect that will decline too over the next season or two.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He is part of the general current Bayern crisis (which is mostly a finishing crisis) and doesn't seem to be able to lead them out of it. Might not be expected from him, but he definitely doesn't appear to be the superstar people made him to be just because he played well in the PL.

And if you say he scored five goals, well thats true... One against Viktoria Köln, a third tier side in the cup, one in the Supercup against Leipzig who started so bad that they already sacked their manager, one against Frankfurt who were in total turmoil at the time due to the troubled transfer window and two against Bochum who are dead last and also already sacked their manager.

So while he has scored five goals in total, he has looked terrible against every somewhat decent team he played against.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is part of the general current Bayern crisis (which is mostly a finishing crisis) and doesn't seem to be able to lead them out of it. Might not be expected from him, but he definitely doesn't appear to be the superstar people made him to be just because he played well in the PL.

And if you say he scored five goals, well thats true... One against Viktoria Köln, a third tier side in the cup, one in the Supercup against Leipzig who started so bad that they already sacked their manager, one against Frankfurt who were in total turmoil at the time due to the troubled transfer window and two against Bochum who are dead last and also already sacked their manager.

So while he has scored five goals in total, he has looked terrible against every somewhat decent team he played against.
This is why Ronaldo is my GOAT - performed and dominated every league he played in.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He’s nowhere near quick enough to play on the wings now, for example. It means he needs to be played centrally where his speed of thought and decent finishing ability means he can still score a good volume of goals for a team that creates chances, but I expect that will decline too over the next season or two.
He does play centrally for Bayern and he appears to be totally ineffective there. I feel like he needs to get used to the higher lines in the Bundesliga, but he might lack the pace to beat them.

Rossa

This is exactly how he played for the entirety of the first half of last season for us. Could barely control the ball, first touch dreadful, short passes misplaced continuously, easily dispossessed and significantly short on pace losing foot races with players he’d have skinned a season earlier. Salah carried us during this period. Threads galore on both rawk and LFC forums re how his decline had begun if you check.

The upturn came after he was moved centrally by klopp to play a central striking role in the second half of the season, coupled with improved confidence after the africa cup.

It’s only fans of other clubs who don’t watch us regularly who observed him banging in the goals in the latter half of the season who think his decline hadn’t already begun at the start of last season.

Noticed the same - he was no longer able to go past anyone, and for someone like Mane who has relied heavily on his burst of speed that is a major factor in his overall game. To me, it looks like the same thing is happening to Salah, and Diaze, although quick, is not at the same level either that he can simply just outpace and outmuscle his defenders. Remember James completely outpacing Salah, only for Salah to shrug him off like a fly; Mane also had that combination of speed and strength, but he looks a tad slower - it doesn't have to be much for him to be more limited.

Also, although everyone is now praising Mane for all that he is doing, which is great, are people forgetting that he's a bit of a cnut on the pitch? He constantly kicks out, pushes people off the pitch, kicks players in the achilles - he's a great character and guy, no doubt, but for the opposition, he's a cnut that should have had several red cards to his name.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I think it was doomed from the start for him at Bayern.

He's essentially being asked to replace an all time great player who consistently makes scoring look piss easy everywhere.

Plus, Muller looks much more clueless than he usually does. The Bayern wingers have more goalscoring burden than ever.

This Bayern team have lost that X Factor they had with Lewandowski where defenders were too focussed and busy on him.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
He does play centrally for Bayern and he appears to be totally ineffective there. I feel like he needs to get used to the higher lines in the Bundesliga, but he might lack the pace to beat them.
This is exactly right. Playing as a striker for LFC in the EPL is a world away from doing so for Bayern in the BL.

Despite the possessional dominance both teams exert and the similarity in terms of the aggressive high lines they employ the difference lies in how the opposition approach these games.

90% of the teams playing us last season (including the likes of RM in the CL final!) came with a set plan to pack ten men behind the ball in a tight compact 442/451 formation and hit wide runners with balls over the top particularly into our vacated right back space, whilst the game was essentially played in the oppositional third with us probing the tiny gaps trying to find a way through. Mane was very effective here as his movement, speed of thought, and finishing ability was still very good in tight spaces.

BuLi teams approach Bayern very differently. There is far less shutting up of shop - for some reason team after team decide to play higher lines. This exposes mane’s lack of pace, which as we observed over the first half of last season is now in terminal decline. He can’t outrun even average defenders these days. His finishing was nowhere near someone like lewa’s anyway.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Didn't play in Ligue 1 either which for goalscorers is the level above Bundesliga. :angel:
Kevin Volland never scored more than 14 goals in the Bundesliga, he joins Ligue 1 and immediately scores 16. This is scientific proof that Bundesliga >>> Ligue 1.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Kevin Volland never scored more than 14 goals in the Bundesliga, he joins Ligue 1 and immediately scores 16. This is scientific proof that Bundesliga >>> Ligue 1.
Marcus Thuram had 12 goals in his two seasons in Ligue 1 and 18 in his first two seasons in Bundesliga. And Volland best season is still in Bundesliga with 14 goals and 12 assists, that's better than 16 goals and 8 assists. :p

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Check out Antony Modeste stats in Ligue 1 and BL, the gap is bigger :wenger: or even someone like Grafite a while ago

JPRouve

Scout
Check out Antony Modeste stats in Ligue 1 and BL, the gap is bigger :wenger: or even someone like Grafite a while ago
I was trying to remember the name of Modeste. His Bundesliga career is freaky. :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Marcus Thuram had 12 goals in his two seasons in Ligue 1 and 18 in his first two seasons in Bundesliga. And Volland best season is still in Bundesliga with 14 goals and 12 assists, that's better than 16 goals and 8 assists. :p
Can we just agree both leagues are better than the PL and be done with it? Let's troll our English friends together :devil:

JPRouve

Scout
Can we just agree both leagues are better than the PL and be done with it? Let's troll our English friends together :devil:
It was implied. They have/had Maupay or Sissoko looking like footballers. :D

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Mane played centrally for all but the last three games (Stuttgart, Barca, Augsburg). He bottled a couple of good chances and ended up off side all the time, but overall it was a decent start for him. He played on the left for the last three games and was terrible. Expectations are, that he can make the difference and so far he hasn't. When Bayern played well, he played well and when bayern struggled he folded.
Its Nagelsmann's fault to start him on the left. I guess at least for now Mane has to start games due to his high profile. I guess Coman's injury opened up a space on the wing so Nagelsmann avoided benching/shifting someone more important.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I totally missed Grafite played in France :eek:
It was implied. They have/had Maupay or Sissoko looking like footballers. :D
:lol:
BuLi teams approach Bayern very differently. There is far less shutting up of shop - for some reason team after team decide to play higher lines. This exposes mane’s lack of pace, which as we observed over the first half of last season is now in terminal decline. He can’t outrun even average defenders these days. His finishing was nowhere near someone like lewa’s anyway.
Back to serious opinions... Bayern's team is actually not that good technically for a team of their status. Their strength lies in speed and power (mentally insert Jeremy Clarkson meme here), but they aren't that press resistent, so it makes sense to apply pressure as their is a certain probability that they will misplace their passes (especially since Thiago left...)

Mane doesn't have the pace of Gnabry or Sane, he doesn't have the dribbling ability of Coman or Musiala and he doesn't have the awareness of Müller. Bayern is yet to discover how he can be used the best.