Sadio Mane | Performances

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's happened. You signed Diaz in Jan instead of waiting until this window, Mane going was probably known ages ago. I'm willing to bet this news is nothing new inside the camp

And youd have waited until now to sign Diaz if it werent for Spurs or West Ham going in for him.
You could be right. Carvalho in that case is our fifth choice attacker behind Firmino. Hope we're saving all our money for a big name CM (or two) in that case.

Diaz would simply need to replace Mane's 15-20 goals a season. I'm sure he can manage that under Klopp and inhalers.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Can't see any situation where City don't win the league next year. Mane leaving is a huge blow I think.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
You could be right. Carvalho in that case is our fifth choice attacker behind Firmino. Hope we're saving all our money for a big name CM (or two) in that case.

Diaz would simply need to replace Mane's 15-20 goals a season. I'm sure he can manage that under Klopp and inhalers.
Total guesswork from me tbh, but i remember reading that Diaz was planned for this window but was brought forward due to rivals circling round him. If they do go in the market, Dembele could be a decent option for free

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
What a a mess of a Sunday. Having just lost the final and now this.

I hope FSG are prepared to spend this summer as our midfield could do with fresh legs and we suddenly look rather thin up front.

My guess is we’ll sell Keita and buy a midfielder and a forward.

IrishRedDevil

What a a mess of a Sunday. Having just lost the final and now this.

I hope FSG are prepared to spend this summer as our midfield could do with fresh legs and we suddenly look rather thin up front.

My guess is we’ll sell Keita and buy a midfielder and a forward.
1 year on Keita’s Contract. You hope he’s sold this summer - flop.
How much you reckon someone will pay?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting summer coming up and probably the most turbulent we’ve seen for a few years.

I’ll miss Mane. Such a good player for us and always guaranteed 15-20 goals in the league. I think Diaz has the left wing secured so we maybe need a striker more than a winger. We’ve got Carvalho coming in but he seems more like a number 10 to me.

We have to spend big this summer. Feels like we’ve been penny pinching for the last 3 or 4 windows overall.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
1 year on Keita’s Contract. You hope he’s sold this summer - flop.
How much you reckon someone will pay?
Flop? Keita? I’m inclined to say yes.

Have no idea what we could get for him.

marktan

They probably need a striker and another wide player, they only managed to challenge for the league because they finally got some depth and it still wasn't enough. Next season City will have Halaand and Alvarez too.

I'm not sure who they go for though, there's very few players of the calibre of Mane around. The one that's moving this summer is Ousmane Dembele but he wants a huge salary that Liverpool won't pay.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Is it assumed he's going to Bayern or are there other names linked?
I always wanted him before he went to the scousers. Absolutely belting player. Whoever gets him are very lucky.
Same. Had no idea he'd be this good but he looked a really good player against us a couple times playing on the right, at a time we needed a right winger.

Pirlo'sBeard

It is a massive loss and anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a surprise. 2nd half of the season while Salah's goals have dried up it's been Mane who's been keeping them competitive
He's just as important as Salah.

Liverpool's recruitment has been excellent in recent years, so unfortunately I'm sure they'll sign a fantastic replacement.

Josh 76

Interesting summer coming up and probably the most turbulent we’ve seen for a few years.

I’ll miss Mane. Such a good player for us and always guaranteed 15-20 goals in the league. I think Diaz has the left wing secured so we maybe need a striker more than a winger. We’ve got Carvalho coming in but he seems more like a number 10 to me.

We have to spend big this summer. Feels like we’ve been penny pinching for the last 3 or 4 windows overall.
This time there is no Coutinho money to spend !

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Superb news.

Time will tell if it's as big as when Arsenal let Overmars and Petit leave the same summer.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think he's jumping before they potentially sink. Theyve done as much as they possibly can do and it's still not enough to match city. Won all the trophies. At 30, he can either chase cities shadows or rack up titles in Germany and still be in with a shout at the CL.

I know what I'm picking.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Big loss for Liverpool- if I was manager I’d probably prefer to lose Salah than Mane, which is saying a lot.
That said, he is a 30 year old with pace as an important component of his game (he provides way more than that obviously), he will be on the cusp of a physical decline. They’ll need to spend big to replace him though, or pull a gem out of the bag like they are pretty good at doing.

Rossa

:lol: :lol:

Oppo fans can't seem to settle on whether he's too old now, can't handle big finals or big teams, or is irreplaceable? In the mean time the guy who made him a balloon door candidate (your sentiments not mine) has signed for four more years. :lol:
He’s great, but still he doesn’t look as rapid off the mark as he once did.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Where’s he playing for Bayern? Replacing Lewandowski or playing wide left (he won’t suit his paying on the right).

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I have to admit some of the reaction and comments in the media asking 'why would Mane want to leave Liverpool', has been funny.

To me it makes perfect sense for top players to want to play in different leagues, at different heavyweight clubs and experience different things, rather than stay at one place indefinitely. He has won everything at Liverpool, so it makes sense to now move on and enjoy a new challenge.

Also there has been some derision about going to Bayern and winning 'easy' Bundesliga titles via one horse races. But along those lines, it would be funny if some of the same people who focus purely on medals won, goals and assists were to simultaneously criticise a player for joining a club that gives him a very strong chance to win more domestic titles (while also having a good chance of winning or at least competing in the CL) while also putting up impressive individual numbers.

It's like in basketball when some of the same pundits who think that the number of NBA championship rings won is the be all when judging players' careers, also criticise big name players for joining already star studded teams therefore giving themselves a better opportunity to win some / more rings.

Last edited:

largelyworried

Tricky one for Liverpool this. Its not a total disaster by any means, but equally they don't have anyone with quite the same profile and quality as he has. Luis Diaz looks like he's started well, but his performance on Saturday shows he's not anywhere near Mane's level just yet. Diogo Jota has done well for them but he's a different type of player. His pace on the counter and work rate in the press is a large part of what makes Liverpool's system work.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My view on him has totally swung. A few yeas back I thought he wasn't all that but I was wrong. He is a fanstastic footballer. In fact in this run that Liverpool have gone on in the second half of the season, Mane has been everywhere contributing in all phases of play.
we all shuddered when we were linked with him from Southampton :lol: ah well. We got Depay instead

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He won’t. But he will be a big loss. Salah is better though.
Salah has better stats but Mane is crucial to the way Liverpool play and creates so much space across the front line for the other two. He’ll be a huge loss for Liverpool. I’d argue that they’ll find it more difficult to replace him than Salah.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's like in basketball when some of the same pundits who think that the number of NBA championship rings won is the be all when judging players' careers, also criticise big name players for joining already star studded teams therefore giving themselves a better opportunity to win some / more rings.
Not all rings carry the same importance, you need context to assess a player's trophy haul. One ring for Durant at OKC would arguably have counted more than the ones at the Warriors in a lot of people's mind. Likewise for Mane, I'd argue another PL title with Liverpool would be regarded as more impressive than two titles at Bayern which some may consider a cop out move.

I have no qualms with him wanting to leave to try another challenge in a different environment. Has given us his best all the time, was superb for us and won pretty much everything there is to win in England. Has always been classy and respectful, I'll miss him but we don't need players who don't wanna be at the club themselves. I hope we respect his wish and deal him in a classy way, not trying to squeeze every last ounce out of a potential deal. Bayern did the same for Thiago two years ago.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This time there is no Coutinho money to spend !
They'll be feasting on the Coutinho money for decades to come, just like we'll be feasting on the Hazard money for decades to come.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not all rings carry the same importance, you need context to assess a player's trophy haul. One ring for Durant at OKC would arguably have counted more than the ones at the Warriors in a lot of people's mind. Likewise for Mane, I'd argue another PL title with Liverpool would be regarded as more impressive than two titles at Bayern which some may consider a cop out move.

I have no qualms with him wanting to leave to try another challenge in a different environment. Has given us his best all the time, was superb for us and won pretty much everything there is to win in England. Has always been classy and respectful, I'll miss him but we don't need players who don't wanna be at the club themselves. I hope we respect his wish and deal him in a classy way, not trying to squeeze every last ounce out of a potential deal. Bayern did the same for Thiago two years ago.
Of course this is true. I don't even think Bayern fans would argue against that. Going to a team that's won 10 titles in a row and winning 2 more with them is less impressive than fighting with City until the bitter end and coming out on top.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

There's context but there's also probability. At Liverpool, there's a reasonable chance that he never wins a another title and 2020 remains his only medal in a major European league. At Bayern, there's a very good chance that he wins additional league titles and adds to his collection.

In basketball circles, Charles Barkley is often derided for not winning a ring, when he was far superior than many players than won multiple rings. There are a lot of players who would prefer a Draymond Greene type career than a Charles Barkley one. Nowadays more and more of the star players want to play together at least for a few years, the minimise the chances of ending their careers ring-less. The notion that the more rings that players win, the greater their careers are, regardless of context , looks to be increasing all the time.

Also would many players care one bit about people on internet forums and the like analysing and slicing and dicing their career honours and numbers in detail, putting more value on some successes than others? Somehow I doubt it. I certainly wouldn't if I was a pro !

A lot of players might value 1 Premier League title and 1 Bundesliga title more than 2 Premier League titles (or 2 Bundesliga titles), as then they've won 2 different major European leagues.

Also this idea that has spread over time that joining big, successful clubs is a 'cop out' (it was definitely leveled at Guardiola for joining Bayern and then City) has always seemed very strange to me. I mean in any walk of life, how many people wouldn't want to join organisations that firstly pay them very well, and secondly also given them an excellent work environment and resources to succeed?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Of course this is true. I don't even think Bayern fans would argue against that. Going to a team that's won 10 titles in a row and winning 2 more with them is less impressive than fighting with City until the bitter end and coming out on top.
Only for people on the internet, really. At the end of the day, it's an extra line on his CV rather than an "valiant effort to almost defeat City" and end up with just 1 league title.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Only for people on the internet, really. At the end of the day, it's an extra line on his CV rather than an "valiant effort to almost defeat City" and end up with just 1 league title.
I mean Bayern are winning the league regardless. Yes it's a title win on the CV but some title wins are more impressive than others. I don't that's a controversial thing to say. Of course winning one with Bayern beats not winning one with Liverpool, but that wasn't the point I was making.

RedRover

Think he's jumping before they potentially sink. Theyve done as much as they possibly can do and it's still not enough to match city. Won all the trophies. At 30, he can either chase cities shadows or rack up titles in Germany and still be in with a shout at the CL.

I know what I'm picking.
I personally don't get any player leaving Liverpool and the PL to go to Germany. Real or Barca, I get it given the prestige and the lifestyle, but not Bayern. He's got at least as good a chance winning the CL at Liverpool as at Bayern.

Liverpool have recruited well in recent years and I suspect Diaz was the replacement. Mane will be a miss but they'll still be up there next year in my opinion. Reckon they'll bring at least one forward in.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I personally don't get any player leaving Liverpool and the PL to go to Germany. Real or Barca, I get it given the prestige and the lifestyle, but not Bayern. He's got at least as good a chance winning the CL at Liverpool as at Bayern.

Liverpool have recruited well in recent years and I suspect Diaz was the replacement. Mane will be a miss but they'll still be up there next year in my opinion. Reckon they'll bring at least one forward in.
But a much better chance at the league in Germany than in England. Pretty much guaranteed.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

He's won it all with Liverpool. There are certain types who just want to experience some change. Munich isn't the most ugly city/area either, and Mane would know since his time in Salzburg, which is basically around the corner.

SungSam7

great time to leave after showing up Salah for club and country
Always was a fan of Mane over Salah. Just get the feeling Mane would be happy if his team scored regardless if it was him or not while I feel Salah would br happier if it was him to score.

Not to be taken out of conext, of course ever player would get a better sense of excitement from being the one to score, but overall feeling as a team player, it would be Mane.

Reactions: sizzling sausages