Saka (Arsenal)

Art

Art the artist
I think Bukayo will recover from this and become one of the premier league greats. One of Arsenal's brightest lights for more than a a decade. Wish him all the best.

Godfather

Shouldn't have played such a big role in the tournament. He doesn't look ready. And to pick him for the fifth pen in a final was criminal

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm struggling to find real rationale for why he was set up as the 5th besides perceived ability to put it in the net. Maybe don't choose the most iconic sports moment in Britain since 1966. Just an opinion.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think Bukayo will recover from this and become one of the premier league greats. One of Arsenal's brightest lights for more than a a decade. Wish him all the best.
He’ll be just fine

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Crazy choice for him to be 5th! Did the senior players duck out or was someone in the coaching staff just a bit bone-headed?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Fair play for stepping up at only 19. The 5th penalty too. But Southgate should be going with experience for that. Sterling, Grealish, Walker. Not a kid.

He was poor today though. Looked totally overwhelmed.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I still haven't seen anything from him to suggest he's anywhere close to the hype Arsenal fans make out but I guess that is what Arsenal fans do.

Sancho is a far better player but when your manager is scared I guess the one that tracks back slightly more will always get the nod.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Criminal that senior players like sterling, Grealish and Philipps shirked the responsibility and pushed a 19 year old forward at such a decisive time.

For all the crap Southgate talks about experience, it was nowhere to be found when needed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Had a relatively good tournament. Not his fault if the manager was picking him over better players, or that more experienced players didn't step up to take a penalty before him.

DickDastardly

Not talking about the pen.

He was shit for most of the time he played.

Playing him over Grealish, Sancho and Rashford is a sackable offense.

Greenwood is ten time the player he is.

One of those, "look at me, i'm gonna invent a player no one saw" type of bullshit from Southgate.

Backfired straight into his face.

AshRK

Hope he gets the support. Him sancho and rashford were done hard by their manager.

James_42

No idea why he was playing ahead of other players in the squad, but I feel sorry for him.

Making him take the final penalty was crazy.

I'm sure he will bounce back from this and be great again next season.

Drainy

He'll be a very good premier league footballer for a long time. I have been really critical of his inclusion in the later stage games because he clearly was overwhelmed, but that's not on him. I won't criticise him for the miss, it could have happened to anyone and the choice of a 19 year old for 5th taker is more negligence from Southgate.

Foxbatt

He could be putting all the penalties away in practice but in this situation as a coach you decide how they are playing during the match.
You simply don't put a 19 year old in this position. Southgate crucified him.

Crimson King

Did well this tournament and has a bright future, no doubt. Don't think he was the right sub for this game though, but that's on the manager.

Really feel for the kid after missing the penalty. Didn't deserve that ending.

AaronRedDevil

I genuinely hope he’s alright. Never should have been picked to take any Pen before anyone else that was there. Shaw, Grealish etc. Feel sorry for him. He wasn’t the only one that fecked up at least. So theres less guilt that it’s all his fault. Rashord and sancho. Hope they don’t get too badly called out.

JustAGuest

No one deserves this, and even less the abuse he is receiving on social media. I really hope this will not haunt him for years to come. It must be really tough for a 19 year old to go through this, I can't even imagine how he feels.

BlahRules

No disrespect to Saka but he should not have come on first it should have been Grealish.

Crimson King

People have already started commenting on his penalty taking
It was inevitable. Sad but inevitable.

Just because the England team are doing well doesn't mean this country isn't suddenly not full of scum.

cyberman

I think Southgate is taking the heat for other players bottling the responsibilty. I have never of players being told to take a pen and not if they fancy it.
Rashford and Sancho were subbed on so they were marked and I give Saka all the credit for stepping up. Its Maguire thats gives it away for me, it just seems as if he had to step up because others wouldn't. Its too glaring of a pick otherwise.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
On fraud watch, this kid :wenger: He’s been off the boil for a long while now.

Replenish

I must be missing something with this guy.
I was like you and couldn't see what all the fuss was about, he looks awkward on the ball and runs with his feet turned outward...but, having taken the time to watch him more closely, it's deceiving how good he is. More often than not in attacking areas he gets by the defender into the box or puts a shot or cross in, he makes it look very easy and I think that fools some into thinking he's not particularly good. Just watch him, defenders don't know which way he's going to go, he can cut in and shoot or go down the line and cross. Rarely do I see him lose the ball or waste possession while in a good position. He also moves very quickly with the ball but again it appears to be deceiving as at first look he doesn't look particularly pacey. He just doesn't look as tricky or have as much flare as some other wingers who look more pleasing to the eye but are actually less effective.

Last edited:

Like who? He delivered in the Euros. Foden got his Gazza haircut and did feck all and please don't say Sancho.
Did he? He defended well which isn't exactly a glowing review for an attacker. 1 assist and nothing else of note. The moment he was subbed on in the final ahead of Grealish was when we all knew Southgate had bottled it.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Nope. He has been in shite form for almost a year now.
Yes he has been awful in the last year mate. 25 goals/assists last 12 months, at 20 years of age.

Complete shite. :wenger:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s been under par for a while, and he’s still too young to know what that means longer term - but he’s been a brilliant prospect in general. First thing I noticed in his game is his maturity. He almost always does the right thing in the final third which was so rare. A year or two ago, I think he was easily Arsenal’s best player, and was their best player whether at LB, LWB, CM, RW or LW for a while.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I was like you and couldn't see what all the fuss was about, he looks awkward on the ball and runs with his feet turned outward...but, having taken the time to watch him more closely, it's deceiving how good he is. More often than not in attacking areas he gets by the defender into the box or puts a shot or cross in, he makes it look very easy and I think that fools some into thinking he's not particularly good. Just watch him, defenders don't know which way he's going to go, he can cut in and shot or go down the line and cross, rarely do I see him lose the ball or waste possession while in a good position. He also moves very quickly with the ball but again it appears to be deceiving as at first look he doesn't look particularly pacey. He just doesn't look as tricky or have as much flare as some other wingers who look more pleasing to the eye but are actually less effective.
This is a good description of him. He's a very efficient player.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes he has been awful in the last year mate. 25 goals/assists last 12 months, at 20 years of age.

Complete shite. :wenger:
He has been pretty awful for ages. He is a good player and I rate him but he is in a poor run of form.