Samuel Eto'o - Most underrated Striker of the decade?

AttackingFlair

Well yeah probably because Deco was awesome at the time. But during then I remember most banging on about Ronaldinho and Eto'o, the partnership etc, he was highly rated then for sure.

Ringo 07

Gill practiallly called Eto`o a mercenary when he went to Inter stating that we wont be signing players who just come for the money. Those comments look a bit sad now. Eto`o was exactly what we needed once we got the Ronnie money to be honest!

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
I shouldn't bite, but Henry wasn't a complete player? What are you on about?
A complete player, are you having a laugh?

This is pure semantics as it's not detracting from how effective he was in the EPL, but he was far from complete even at his best. A player that couldn't head the ball to save his life, didn't like being tackled and hated everything unless it went 99% his way can never be called a complete player. He went missing from most of the big games of his career, he is one of the few brilliant players that couldn't be called a complete player. It doesn't surprise me to see you championing him as one.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Henry was an average header, or at least he didn't commit himself to heading the ball much. But every other aspect of his game was absolutely top notch.

(edit: for a Forward, I mean)

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
A complete player, are you having a laugh?

This is pure semantics as it's not detracting from how effective he was in the EPL, but he was far from complete even at his best. A player that couldn't head the ball to save his life, didn't like being tackled and hated everything unless it went 99% his way can never be called a complete player. He went missing from most of the big games of his career, he is one of the few brilliant players that couldn't be called a complete player. It doesn't surprise me to see you championing him as one.
:lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Henry is a hard player to judge. Unbelievable in the premier league. Big game bottler though when compared to Eto'o, so I'd probably go for the latter. Eto'o always turns up in the big games. In fact one of the best big game players of his generation. Class act.

amolbhatia50k

It is true though cm, more often than not Henry went missing in the matches that mattered. So for me Eto'o edges it, just.
Eto'o was so much better in big games than Henry it's not even funny.

stubie

What about Crespo ?

He was quality between 1998-2005. One of the best finishers I have seen as his record at Parma/Lazio/Inter/Chelsea & Milan indicate.

Cina

Eto'o is just a stunning player really. Give him even a breath and he'll smash one into the net, last nights goal was a prime example of that.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It is true though cm, more often than not Henry went missing in the matches that mattered. So for me Eto'o edges it, just.
Show me some examples please? The one CL Final he played with us where he was isolated and we were a man down for 80 minutes? He was good in that game.

He scored against every big team he played against. He put heaps past your lot. He won us so many matches and scored so many times when we needed it.

He scored over 40 goals in the CL, where he was playing one-out up front all the time against the worlds best defenses. Yes his CL record was worse than his PL record, but when you're contributing a goal a game, every game, you'd expect as much.

It's a ridiculous statement that holds little ground. You're not going to take anything away from Ronaldo because he could only score at Old Trafford now, are you?

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
He showed what he was all about for Inter last night, after his tough first season he looks back to his best. That ability to just turn it on, his skill on the ball and the deadly finishing. Eto'o looks back to his best and can anyone believe it, Rafa Benitez deserves some credit.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
He showed what he was all about for Inter last night, after his tough first season he looks back to his best. That ability to just turn it on, his skill on the ball and the deadly finishing. Eto'o looks back to his best and can anyone believe it, Rafa Benitez deserves some credit.
better than Zlatan? :)

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Eto'o does look extremely sharp.

But Inter lost, and seem to be struggling (in comparison to last season). Now I'm no world class manager, but to me it would seem logical that if you wanted your star striker to start scoring big numbers again you move them inboard, and play them as a striker - not a wide-forward (like last season). Though at what cost? Team balance may be upset, and you can't argue with Mourinho's winning foruma/tactics there at Inter. They won the treble with Eto'o as a wide forward........

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Eto'o does look extremely sharp.

But Inter lost, and seem to be struggling (in comparison to last season). Now I'm no world class manager, but to me it would seem logical that if you wanted your star striker to start scoring big numbers again you move them inboard, and play them as a striker - not a wide-forward (like last season). Though at what cost? Team balance may be upset, and you can't argue with Mourinho's winning foruma/tactics there at Inter. They won the treble with Eto'o as a wide forward........
I think it's good to remember that Eto'o started last season as a striker, playing as a partner with Milito.He was still adapting and he couldn't score as regularly as he does now so Mourinho found a way to use him without playing him in his best position.Even if it helped I don't think Eto'o playing as a wing forward was the key to Inter's success.

Stretch

Show me some examples please? The one CL Final he played with us where he was isolated and we were a man down for 80 minutes? He was good in that game.

He scored against every big team he played against. He put heaps past your lot. He won us so many matches and scored so many times when we needed it.

He scored over 40 goals in the CL, where he was playing one-out up front all the time against the worlds best defenses. Yes his CL record was worse than his PL record, but when you're contributing a goal a game, every game, you'd expect as much.

It's a ridiculous statement that holds little ground. You're not going to take anything away from Ronaldo because he could only score at Old Trafford now, are you?
Firstly, Henry missed an excellent chance to put the game to bed in that CL final you talking about. Yeah he played well but he needed to bury his chances.

Yeah he scored vs United but if I'm correct he scored what, 7 goals vs us in almost double the amount of games. Compare that to Drogba who has what, 10 in 11 or summit vs you lot. Also, I don't dispute Henry's class, it's just that at the defining moments of his career he's been found wanting at times. And it doesn't help that he's been in so many finals (FA Cups, CL etc) and not win.

amolbhatia50k

Henry was a bit of a bottler though. He was one of the those players who needed the circumstances to go his way for him to do well in the bigger games. Unlike say, a Tevez who despite being nowhere near as good, raises himself for the bigger occasions, and is a proper warrior on the pitch.

Eto'o was a different animal in big games. Even the game against us in the CL final, we were looking great in the early minutes, a few minutes later he leaves Vidic, who was the best defender in the world that year, for dead and slots it home. There are players who can really seize those pressure cooker moments and there are others who can't or can't as well.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
I don't get how he can be underrated. He has played for top clubs Barcelona and Inter since 2004, won the Champions League three times and most consider him to one of their best forwards in the world...

Barcelona wanted to sell him for years without anyone making a offer though.. that is a bit odd. But there are so few clubs in the world whom are able to host such a talented players wage demands.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Bump, I honestly think he's a different level to likes of Henry, not in terms of talent but just mentally, he's such a strong player reminds me of Ruud. I'd love Hernandez to turn out like our very own mexican Eto'o without the 'cuntishness' that has sometimes been associated with him.

VoetbalWizard

Bump, I honestly think he's a different level to likes of Henry, not in terms of talent but just mentally, he's such a strong player reminds me of Ruud. I'd love Hernandez to turn out like our very own mexican Eto'o without the 'cuntishness' that has sometimes been associated with him.
eto'o isn't a cnut...he's just gangsta. wouldn't you love it if hernandez threatened journos as well?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think he is either, but some would be inclined to argue otherwise. I would, especially if it was Daniel Taylor.. or perhaps Piers Morgan.

VoetbalWizard

i still don't get what the deal with pep was. sure even if eto'o is outspoken, a twattish player (especially a striker of all positions) would not selflessly work like a dog up and down the left flank like he did last season under mourinho.

amolbhatia50k

You never know why a player and club have to part ways.

Eto'o is brilliant though.

Thank God Barca have Villa right now and not Eto'o.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
i still don't get what the deal with pep was. sure even if eto'o is outspoken, a twattish player (especially a striker of all positions) would not selflessly work like a dog up and down the left flank like he did last season under mourinho.
He thought he was on par with Messi. Pep and Barca didn't agree.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's a tremendous player.For what possible reasons I used to underrate him a little I don't know, he has my total respect as a footballer on and off the pitch too

Kaiketsu_Zorro

Agreed, a truly tremendous player, one of the best strikers in the world. I wouldn't say he's underrated though, as I've never seen fans call him shit.

Cina

Amazing striker.

Some people on this forum actually think Berb is better than him.

Zen

No they don't.

Anyone who knows any ounce of anything rates Eto'o as probably top 3 of the decade with Henry and Ronaldo. He's not even close to underrated.

Zen

Not my fault you're an easy target for trolling.

Cina

You're a tit. Maybe read the posts before you talk such shit.

Zen

I don't have to. Anyone whos saying Berbatov is better than Eto'o is trolling or plain dumb. I'm happy being a tit if I can tell that though, better than being dumb and taking bait.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Unless, as was the case, it was their genuine opinion.

Then that'd mean you're a tit, they're 'plain dumb' and cina's all good.