Sanchez - What's his position?

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Like a lot of you I agree with your front three being Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial.

Re Mata, I was always surprised to see him on the right, I thought he was best as a Pogba replacement in attacking midfield.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Inside left, or second striker, as a starting position, but hopefully with the freedom to play where the space is

Dominos

I'd start him off on the right to begin with because that's our weakest position in that we pose absolutely no threat from that side. If you don't feel it's working then you can start trying him everywhere else until we come across the best solution.

zenith

Surely he stays on the right for now, but in a free role. He's played there and quite well also for Chile and udinese. He'll need support from the RB wrt to over lapping runs and an outlet to whom he can cross and cut inside

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The thing is, for me, you gotta have Pogba in a mid 3...but, I wanna have Sanchez through the middle...but I don't wanna drop Martial...but I prefer Martial up front than as a winger!

All those things considered, I'd genuinely love to see José return to the 442 diamond that he made so great in his career before.

Yes, it's narrow, but Shaw and Val can both get forward with Matic dropping into the back 3 when defending.

I just think this would fly, with a better CM coming in the Summer...

----------------DDG-----------------
Val------Bailly------Jones-----Shaw
----------------Matic----------------
-----Herrera-----------Pogba-------
---------------Sanchez--------------
--------Rom-------------Martial-----

Last edited:

stepic

The thing is, for me, you gotta have Pogba in a mid 3...but, I wanna have through the middle...but I don't wanna drop Martial...but I prefer Martial up front than as a winger!

All those things considered, I'd genuinely love to see José return to the 442 diamond that he made so great in his career before.

Yes, it's narrow, but Shaw and Val can both get forward with Matic dropping into the back 3 when defending.

I just think this would fly, with a better CM coming in the Summer...

----------------DDG-----------------
Val------Bailly------Jones-----Shaw
----------------Matic----------------
-----Herrera-----------Pogba-------
---------------Sanchez--------------
--------Rom-------------Martial-----
in reality there's not much difference between that and a 433 with Martial left and Sanchez right, but with freedom to come inside like they currently do.

i agree that having 3 in midfield is the way to go, just not Lingard in CM like it was on the weekend. Fellaini or Herrera as you say instead. then that is the position we upgrade in the summer.

Can7onA

I think he's going to go straight behind Lukaku.

Martial on the left and Lingard (currently) on the right. Both switching a starting place/sub place with Rashford.

Swift Football

I think its behind Lukaku. He has a very good goal scoring record and that position just behind striker will allow him to continue scoring goals and be in good positions. He will be our #10 in our 4-2-3-1

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would be perfect in Lingards current position. I just think he's wasted out wide.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
His position is on either wing, preferably the right, leaving Rashford free to challenge Lukaku for main striker.
What a strange statement. Thats like saying Slimani is going to challenge Kane as the best striker in the league.

RyRy11

I think it depends on what system we play. In a 433 he'll probably be on the right as long as Martial plays. He might get some games on the left if we start Rashford over Martial as I can see Marcus being pushed on to the right wing.

In 4231 I'm sure he'd play centrally (behind Lukaku). I'm not sure if its a myth but am I wrong in saying that Jose likes to have his right sided player in a 4231 to track back? This would take some emphasis off of his goal threat which wouldn't make much sense.

All I know for certain is that if he has been signed to be the first choice on the left then this whole deal would be pretty pointless.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Hopefully he'll play as a striker in a 352. His performances at Arsenal have been best as a striker. Pogba is best when he has more license to go forward but without one proper winger on one side it becomes unbalanced to give him such freedom with a back four. In possession you have two CBs in position and two CMs with both full-backs high up. I'd really like for us to stick with 352 in most games to allow the players to be fully comfortable in the system.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Everyone who has been played on the right has been poor. Mata has been the best of a bad bunch, hence he’s played there on a regular basis. When lingard was on the right he was shocking, so we accommodated him in the middle. Play Mata in the middle and he’s in a different league to what Lingard can offer.

Seven Seas Sardines

Everyone who has been played on the right has been poor. Mata has been the best of a bad bunch, hence he’s played there on a regular basis. When lingard was on the right he was shocking, so we accommodated him in the middle. Play Mata in the middle and he’s in a different league to what Lingard can offer.
Yeah, might as well play in League 1 because that's his level right now. We'd get completely raped defensively every 5th minute when Pogba attacks and Mata fecks up his trademarked backpasses.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yeah, might as well play in League 1 because that's his level right now. We'd get completely raped defensively every 5th minute when Pogba attacks and Mata fecks up his trademarked backpasses.
Mata's backwards and sideways passing from the middle :drool:

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Believe me Mata is by far and away a better number than Lingard, it’s not even debatable.

simplyared

What a strange statement. Thats like saying Slimani is going to challenge Kane as the best striker in the league.
Rashford isn't getting games at present and that's before Sanchez has even arrived. IMO he's far too good a player to not be included in the starting line-up. So does that mean he moves further down the pecking order? Lukaku is looking less and less like a striker the more games he plays. He seems to have lost his instinct to go for goal. Jose has said he has had to take too much responsibility being our lone striker. Maybe a rest would do him good and Rashford could fill the striker role for a period. Competition should get the best out of players and Lukaku needs to get back to the level he was at Everton because he's no where near that at present.

Silas

Was it Huddersfield where we tried that, with them scoring after he lost the ball in the middle?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Rashford isn't getting games at present and that's before Sanchez has even arrived. IMO he's far too good a player to not be included in the starting line-up. So does that mean he moves further down the pecking order? Lukaku is looking less and less like a striker the more games he plays. He seems to have lost his instinct to go for goal. Jose has said he has had to take too much responsibility being our lone striker. Maybe a rest would do him good and Rashford could fill the striker role for a period. Competition should get the best out of players and Lukaku needs to get back to the level he was at Everton because he's no where near that at present.
Are you talking about Rashford? He has been shit and deservedly doesnt have a place even close to the starting Lineup. Looks like he has stop bothering and gone too greedy from most of his plays. I would rather play sanchez/Martial uptop than Rashford cause of his finishing.
Lukaku's overall game has meant we have scored goals from many players. He has assisted and scored many goals. He doesnt need rest, just needs to play and gel even more. When we signed him, i was sure we would see the best of him next year after we buy a proper player to provide service for him. sanchez will take burden off lukaku and will mean lukaku can stick to his position rather than roam around. Rashford needs to be kept away from lineup until he performs better in training or as a sub, right now, he is Poor and worst of our attacking talent.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
de Gea
Valencia - Jones - Smalling - Shaw
Matic
Herrera - Pogba
Sanchez - Lukaku - Martial
Personally I think this is our most effective available lineup providing the addition of Sanchez. The advantage of signing proven players such as himself is he will find it easily to slot into a setup like above with few problems. The effect he will have on our attack is outstanding, I can't wait to see him linking up with Pogba, Lukaku and Martial.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Anywhere as one of the front 4 (despite what I've said in the Mata thread). If he's going to play on the left that means that Martial goes out right. We can sort of assume that Lukaku got the forward spot is Lukaku's which means that the 4th spot in attack 8s between Lingard and Mata or even Rashford if he starts playing well again.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Only 3 positions I want to see him in

4-2-3-1
Mata-------Sanchez-------Martial
-------------Lukaku-------------

4-3-3
Herrera------Matic------Pogba
Sanchez----Lukaku----Martial

4-3-3
Herrera------Matic------Pogba
Mata-------Sanchez-------Martial

I think we all hope he won't be brought in to play from the left so it's either centrally as a 10, wide right or up front as a false 9 (one for when Lukaku is unavailable obviously)

Camilo

I think our strongest team would undoubtedly be Matic and Herrera/new midfielder, with Pogba roaming around in midfield, with Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez all roaming around up front... Just because Lukaku's a big guy doesn't mean he should always be down the middle. It's not 1990.

Playing with Sanchez as a 10, effectively replacing Lingard, still leaves us with no one on the right. A proper 3 man midfield plays to all our strengths. If we must play Pogba deeper (in which case, might as well have just kept Cleverly (I'm only half joking)) then play Sanchez on the right and Lingard/Mata in the middle. But I don't think that team is as solid as a 3 man midfield team, nor as creative.

Frank Grimes

de Gea
Valencia - Jones - Smalling - Shaw
Matic
Herrera - Pogba
Sanchez - Lukaku - Martial
Personally I think this is our most effective available lineup providing the addition of Sanchez. The advantage of signing proven players such as himself is he will find it easily to slot into a setup like above with few problems. The effect he will have on our attack is outstanding, I can't wait to see him linking up with Pogba, Lukaku and Martial.

That's a pretty formidable lineup. Have to say if we were offered this team 2 years ago we would have wanked ourselves silly at the prospect.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
.......................de gea.................
........jones.......bailly..........rojo........
Valencia.......................................young
..................matic....pogba...................
.........sanchez..................martial...........
..........................lukaku.........................

For now... if we can get a good midfielder (Saul or milinkovic-savic would be great but expensive then switch to a 433)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
That's a pretty formidable lineup. Have to say if we were offered this team 2 years ago we would have wanked ourselves silly at the prospect.
Absolutely agree, on paper one of the best (if not the best) starting XI's we have had since 09 - especially with the addition of Bailly who is obviously injured.

sherrinford

I think our strongest team would undoubtedly be Matic and Herrera/new midfielder, with Pogba roaming around in midfield, with Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez all roaming around up front... Just because Lukaku's a big guy doesn't mean he should always be down the middle. It's not 1990.

Playing with Sanchez as a 10, effectively replacing Lingard, still leaves us with no one on the right. A proper 3 man midfield plays to all our strengths. If we must play Pogba deeper (in which case, might as well have just kept Cleverly (I'm only half joking)) then play Sanchez on the right and Lingard/Mata in the middle. But I don't think that team is as solid as a 3 man midfield team, nor as creative.
Do you have no interest in getting the best out of Sanchez? There is no way to solve the right wing problem without compromising someone’s game, we simply don’t have a natural right sided attacker. So why hamper Alexis over others?

Vilev

Believe me Mata is by far and away a better number than Lingard, it’s not even debatable.
Not really. When he was any good at United as a number 10. Not in a one-off game, but actually during say a month?
And the guy does not get any younger. Right now Mata simply lacks the dynamic to play as a 10.

Seven Seas Sardines

Lukaku likes drifting out to the right and cut in as he did on the Burnley goal. If Sanchez plays on the right, there could be some beautiful interchanging between the two.

Vilev

I don't hold my breath for a formation or style change. If we take Burnley's team i think that Sanchez would sub Mata as a start. Maybe playing in the center, with Lingard going to RW, or maybe playing on the right. And then it all depends on Jesse's form, Martial form, sure Sanchez would play some games at the left as well.
Though i do think that a 4-3-3 approach is more suited to the players we have. But Jose's 4-3-3 is always ends up being 4-2-3-1 anyway.

Vilev

Lukaku likes drifting out to the right and cut in as he did on the Burnley goal. If Sanchez plays on the right, there could be some beautiful interchanging between the two.
Actually our interchanging is not a problem, you look at Mata, the guy always finds himself in the middle or even on the left side.
What we lack is a structure of these interchanges, so attacking patterns to make them work.

Camilo

Do you have no interest in getting the best out of Sanchez? There is no way to solve the right wing problem without compromising someone’s game, we simply don’t have a natural right sided attacker. So why hamper Alexis over others?
Hamper him?! The best player in our team is constantly having to play water carrier in midfield, passing the ball to a clueless attack. Having Pogba playing in a 3 with more freedom is the key to everything we do in the near future imo. So we have a front 3 to pick. What's your solution? Lukaku is going to play, and he's going to play centrally. So what's better? Sanchez left and Mata/Lingard(?!) right? Or Martial left and Sanchez right?

To me it's clear as day. Sanchez is a great wee player but Pogba is the heart of this team and any success will stem from him, and it'd be bonkers to suggest an ideal setup where he is compromised.