Sanchez - What's his position?

Doracle

He will play right wing surely replacing Mata, interchanging with Lingard? We have no one else who is competent on that side at all.

Nogbadthebad

Right wing, but I expect the front line to be quite fluid with players switching positions a lot.

We will use Martial on the left, Lukaku in the middle, Sanchez on the right.

Then we will have Lingard or Mata at 10, depending on who we are playing.

Rashford can come in to replace any of the front three when needed, using his directness and speed in the final 20 minutes of tight games especially.

Canagel

On the right but with license to drift inside and interchange with Lukaku and Martial. The width on our right hand side is kept by Valencia anyways so I don't expect Sanchez to have a fixed position at RW. I'd also test him upfront with Lukaku because he can be deadly in central areas.

AndyJ1985

Our right side is terrible, so obviously on the right. He'll roam inside I expect and please a big goal threat.

Bestietom

On the right, with a roaming license. I would rather see a 3 man midfield and give the front 3 a licence to move about.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I hope for your sakes that you don't play him on the right. He'll still be very good, but not as good as he can be. Think Mahrez good, rather than Hazard good.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

If we're really after an instant upgrade in our attacking plays, he should be utilized on the left. Whenever we can't make the transitions quickly that's the side we aim to overload via a diamond shape which consists of the left winger, the left back, the #10 and one of the central midfielders or Mata (when the latter cuts all the way inside from the right). He's a better passer of the ball than Martial, a better dribbler, a far better goalscorer and more creative and better at holding up the ball. If he joins, he will be the closest thing to world-class our attack has had since RvP was here. I'd want this kind of player at the heart of my attacking plays, trying to link up with Pogba and not on the other side of the pitch waiting for a (usually) delayed switch of play just to get on the ball.

Say what you will about Mata (i don't consider him to be top-class quality) but he always tries to make himself useful for the team. He will never hesitate to drop deeper in order to become the extra man in the midfield and help us progress our plays. Sanchez might have difficulties accepting such a role. Besides, when you look at his end product, it could be a waste of his talents.

This wouldn't be the end of the world for Martial. He could occupy a more central role on the pitch. During our games, he attempts many runs in behind, something that can prove quite useful if Lukaku becomes better on the ball. With both Martial/Lukaku playing close to each other and working the spaces between the lines/harassing the opposition CBs, more spaces will open up for Pogba a little deeper to spot good passes. And with someone like Sanchez as our main man on one side plus a player with good off the ball movement on the other (Lingard/Mata), we could be in for something really good. Although i understand that such tactics could be a tad too "attacking-minded" for Mourinho.

Josep Dowling

I think it’s pretty clear his most dangerous position is LW and cutting in to shoot.

Josep Dowling

And its pretty clear we're stupid AF if we bought Alexis to replace Martial.
I agree. Should really be buying someone for RW.

I don’t beleive Jose would buy Sanchez then move him out to RW. He’s a starter when available so Martial will be moved out to the right or the bench.

Nick.

I could see him playing wide left in a 442 with Martial and Lukaku as strikers. Or the other way around, Sanchez as a strikee and Martial wide left.

MS4

Do we really want to lingard to play on either left or right side when he played his best games centrally?

Judas

Open to offers
On the right, but interchanging with Lingard, with the ability to drift.

If he benches Martial it would be bonkers, and anyone calling for that is very strange.

We need danger on the right hand side desperately.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Against midtable teams :
Pogba - Matić
Sánchez - Lingard - Martial
Lukaku​
Against big teams :
Herrera - Matić - Pogba
Sánchez - Lukaku - Martial​
When we go 3-5-2 :
Bailly - Smalling - Jones
Valencia - Matić - Pogba - Young
Lingard
Lukaku - Sánchez
In 4-2-3-1, signs are (see Stoke game) Pogba stays on the right of Matić, but I agree and hope Sánchez will feature on the rightwing, in a similar role to Mata, who's main asset is to allows us keep possession and short passing upfront, and we won't be losing that with the introduction of Sánchez.

Against big teams, I expect an inverted triangle 4-3-3, with Pogba to the left and Herrera to the right, like Everton away, the game that changed our (Mourinho's) perspective on how the team should play, allowing Pogba more freedom, etc. Probably the way we'll play against Tottenham away in a week or so.

We haven't played 3 at the back in a while and we might only return to it against the next big opponent that also plays 3 at the back, maybe Chelsea at home, depending on our form, but I don't think Lingard wouldn't start as #10 then, since he really excels there in that system, and my guess is Martial's going to be the sacrificed one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Do we really want to lingard to play on either left or right side when he played his best games centrally?
Hence why we still need a winger.
Still not convinced Lingard is good enough to start week in week out.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think he is going to play as the #10 against lesser sides and on either flank in the bigger games, the position Jose had reserved for Griezmann.

More or less the current 4-2-3-1 with him replacing either Lingard or Mata.

Lukaku
Martial Sanchez Lingard
Pogba Matic
Young Jones Smalling Valencia
deGea
Big game line up:

Martial Lukaku Sanchez
Pogba Herrera
Matic
deGea​
If Martial improves his finishing to higher consistency, it becomes impossible to drop him from the side because he doesn't give the ball away and adds so much in finishing to a side that is usually very profligate.

sherrinford

I hope he is played off of Lukaku with Lingard mostly playing right wing - that’s the best way to get the most out of that band of three attacking midfield positions and achieve balance. However, I could see him being played in any of those positions.

I think those wanting him to replace Mata on the right are hoping for too much. I’m sure he would be an improvement on what we’ve had there, but his performances would most likely be underwhelming. Sanchez is not as effective on the right, he has never performed at his best from that position - and posting his goals and assists in each position means nothing, the game doesn’t boil down to two statistics). Lingard would prefer not to be out there either I’m sure but better to cater to Sanchez and Martial with the quality they have, Lingard can continue providing good, positive runs from the flank.

There is also a question mark around how Mourinho likes to set the team up generally - what he looks for from that right side in general and how he looks to balance the team. I have had enough of Mata in that position, but to say everything I dislike about how he is interpreting his position on the pitch is down to him would be doing him a disservice. We have tried various other players there and they all inexplicably attempt to abandon any sense of reasonable positioning. Regardless of personnel, our right winger seems to develop an affinity for a left-of-centre midfield position and it’s driving me up the wall. It must, partially at least, come from instruction and I’m not sure Sanchez can change that.

The other issue is to do with balance of personnel. Many wanted one of Rashford or Martial playing from the right early in the season when both were outperforming the others for those positions. Mourinho did eventually try it, as well as trying Ibrahimovic off of Lukaku but the results were hardly encouraging. These attempts to get more... attacking (?) players in the lineup - those who take more risks, who are less patient with their passing, less conservative with there movement. Sanchez is undoubtedly in that bracket of player, and Mourinho clearly didn’t think too highly of replacing a ‘Mata’ with a ‘Sanchez’. I’m sure he spoke of the imbalance caused by playing both Rashford and Martial together and so I don’t think it’s a given that Mata will be the one to make way for Sanchez in the starting eleven.

There is also a real possibility of him playing on the left, even though it is the most well stocked of the attacking midfield positions. The fact is, we are buying him off the back of several years of operating on that side and excelling and he comes in as an established big name. If that is his preferred position, I can see him being deployed there.

I’m very interested to see how we line up, who suffers and how well it goes. I don’t think the solution to fitting Sanchez in is clear cut at all - he is less a great fit for our team than he is just quite simply a great player who is available. I don’t think it’s a given he will be a roaring success here either for that reason, but he is certainly a terrific player in his own right and I hope we can use him alongside our other players effectively.

AgentP

Sanchez should play behind Lukaku imo. We need him as close to the goal as possible. Lingard should play on the right. We should then bring in a RW like Mahrez in the summer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He will replace Mata on the right, and although it's not his best position maybe, he'll still be masive upgrade. He'll be roaming a lot and interchange with no10, so the place for Griezzmann remains.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think Sanchez will begin most games in a supporting role behind Lukaku but given his natural tendency to drift outwide in search of space, I feel a free role will suit him best. One that will see him interchange with Martial at certain periods of the game, bringing an element of unpredictability to our attack and some much needed movement in the final third.

This could very well be a major signing for us if it all works out. Jose has clearly thought this one through.

E-mal

This assumptions is based on the fact that Lukaku is a certain starter. If Martial continue his form and prowess and Lukaku unfortunately continue to break our attack, don't be surprised if we sign a right winger and Sanchez moves up top. There are so many ways Alexis will fit in.
Dybala or Marhez will make a lot of difference for our team and give us balance.

cyril C

I shouldn't be answering to you, since you're not really interested in the discussion. But those statements from Sánchez were from 2014, and since then he practically hasn't played for Arsenal on the right, although he played every other position in attack, as you can see here, so I do think Michael Cox has an insight, yeah.
What insight? Insight to what is comfortable for Sanchez, or what is the best for the team?

Your table has printed out the answer. Throughout his playing career he has played almost equally as RW and LW, 100 games with 43 goals each from either position, almost 1 goal per 2 games ratio, not bad to us (we are not looking for Kane type). But his assist from the right is significantly better, which is what Mourinho has been crying for - a winger who can make decent delivery into the box.

davidmichael

If we play 3 up top and 3 in midfield then I don’t see either Sanchez or Martial as wingers and much more as wide forwards that drift in field so rather than a 4-3-3 and becomes 4-3-2-1 and we’d see Valencia and Shaw overlapping when Sanchez and Martial cut inside.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then much like Mata I’d imagine that Sanchez lining up on the right wouldn’t mean for a second he’s playing as a winger and I could easily see Sanchez and Lingard swapping positions throughout a game and the 3 behind the main striker being very fluid and interchangeable.

If we sign Ozil in the summer then the entire group of Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Ozil, Lingard and Mata are all able to be interchangeable and fluid and singing Ozil would also allow Rashford a lot more games as a striker rather than as a wide forward.

AdamAdams

RW then we can switch from 4231 to 433 without moving him. Then we can pick between an extra midfielder or no.10 out of Mata, Lingard, Herrera or Fellaini. Prefer 433 though.

GM K

Firstly, no to mega threads. Secondly this is still on the assumption that the 99.9% chance becomes a certainty and he becomes a Manchester United player by Monday :

Where does he play for us? It's discussed in the match day thread and in the Sanchez thread lightly. Personally it's in Lingards role for me. I think he's best centrally and shouldn't be cast wide.

Others claim left wing and some claim RW. Where does he play for us?

EDIT: poll would be nice mods if possible.

Easy. Think of Mata in our last two games. Now remove him and replace him with Alexis and we have a much more potent attacking unit.

Nikelesh Reddy

Firstly, no to mega threads. Secondly this is still on the assumption that the 99.9% chance becomes a certainty and he becomes a Manchester United player by Monday :

Where does he play for us? It's discussed in the match day thread and in the Sanchez thread lightly. Personally it's in Lingards role for me. I think he's best centrally and shouldn't be cast wide.

Others claim left wing and some claim RW. Where does he play for us?

EDIT: poll would be nice mods if possible.
We don't need to tie him down to 1 position,give him the freedom to drift across the front 3.He can start on the right,and he can then switch to the left and if required,he can also take up a more central position....

Andersons Dietician

On the right or central, but I think they’ll all be given a bit of leeway position wise. I think it’ll be Lingard or Mata who are most at threat from Sanchez

Zlatattack

RW to replace Mata.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/alexis-sanchez-arsene-wenger-says-chilean-is-unpredictable-playing-on-the-right-wing-rather-than-the-a6988351.html?amp

“It was good to see Alexis Sanchez score again last weekend,” Wenger writes of the 3-3 draw against West Ham last Saturday. “Most of the time it’s with the efficiency of his performances that you know the he is back to his best. He’s a striker who can have an impact on the game and since he’s come back on the right, I think he is more efficient. It is more natural for him than on the left. His game is a bit more predictable on the left. On the right he is unpredictable because he can go outside and inside. On the left he looks always to come inside and that’s easier to block.”
Perfect.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think he is going to play as the #10 against lesser sides and on either flank in the bigger games, the position Jose had reserved for Griezmann.

More or less the current 4-2-3-1 with him replacing either Lingard or Mata.

Lukaku
Martial Sanchez Lingard
Pogba Matic
deGea
Big game line up:

Martial Lukaku Sanchez
Pogba Herrera
Matic
deGea​
If Martial improves his finishing to higher consistency, it becomes impossible to drop him from the side because he doesn't give the ball away and adds so much in finishing to a side that is usually very profligate.
On the bottom one, I think Jose likes Lingard for the big games as he's harder working so maybe he comes in for Martial in that line up?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
On the bottom one, I think Jose likes Lingard for the big games as he's harder working so maybe he comes in for Martial in that line up?
Could well happen but I'd think it all comes down to form. If Lingard is scoring as often as he is right now he'll get in for the big games, kind of like Park did under Fergie but Martial isn't doing half bad a job tracking back and doing his defensive duties right now.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
RW to replace Mata.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/alexis-sanchez-arsene-wenger-says-chilean-is-unpredictable-playing-on-the-right-wing-rather-than-the-a6988351.html?amp

“It was good to see Alexis Sanchez score again last weekend,” Wenger writes of the 3-3 draw against West Ham last Saturday. “Most of the time it’s with the efficiency of his performances that you know the he is back to his best. He’s a striker who can have an impact on the game and since he’s come back on the right, I think he is more efficient. It is more natural for him than on the left. His game is a bit more predictable on the left. On the right he is unpredictable because he can go outside and inside. On the left he looks always to come inside and that’s easier to block.”
So Wenger said that one year ago and kept playing him on the left? Go figure.