g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sanchez - What's his position?

Turamb

In the middle of the three behind Lukaku would be my guess. Hopefully he can have more of an impact in that position than Miki, Mata and the rest we've tried playing there.
I feel like even though we play 4-2-3-1 a lot, no one has managed to play consistently well in that position over time.

He's probably replacing Mata for now, since he's in poor form, and Lingard has been playing well recently.

-------Matic - Pogba
Lingard - Alexis - Martial
----------Lukaku

jamesblonde

So Michael Cox, once again whoever he is, thinks Sanchez doesn't like to play right. My granny says he does, and she died a long long time ago.

What does Sanchez say?
Cox is hands down the most technical and insightful footie journo around.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Ah, so complete guesswork.
Yeah, I've misremembered. Maybe he says that because Sánchez kind of failed in Barcelona when he was on the right, so… You can hear him discussing it from minute 2 here. Nice compliments on Sánchez professionalism and playing through pain.

So Michael Cox, once again whoever he is, thinks Sanchez doesn't like to play right. My granny says he does, and she died a long long time ago.

What does Sanchez say?
-Parece que el entrenador está buscando su mejor posición sobre el campo. ¿Dónde se encuentra más cómodo, en la derecha, la izquierda, por el centro? ¿Dónde disfruta más?
-Me encanta jugar en cualquiera de esas tres posiciones, pero estoy un poco más cómodo por la izquierda, porque me permite encarar a los defensores y hacer diagonales con mi pie derecho. Es más fácil anotar goles así, chutear. Pero mientras juegue, la verdad es que soy feliz en cualquier puesto.

Since you asked so nicely, I won't translate. But this was from 2014. Says he won't mind any position, but feels better on the left.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yeah, I've misremembered. Maybe he says that because Sánchez kind of failed in Barcelona when he was on the right, so… You can hear him discussing it from minute 2 here. Nice compliments on Sánchez professionalism and playing through pain.

-Parece que el entrenador está buscando su mejor posición sobre el campo. ¿Dónde se encuentra más cómodo, en la derecha, la izquierda, por el centro? ¿Dónde disfruta más?
-Me encanta jugar en cualquiera de esas tres posiciones, pero estoy un poco más cómodo por la izquierda, porque me permite encarar a los defensores y hacer diagonales con mi pie derecho. Es más fácil anotar goles así, chutear. Pero mientras juegue, la verdad es que soy feliz en cualquier puesto.

Since you asked so nicely, I won't translate. But this was from 2014. Says he won't mind any position, but feels better on the left.
So you've gone from 'the one position he doesn't like playing in' to 'won't mind any position, but feels better on the left'. ok, great insight from Michael Cox.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
So you've gone from 'the one position he doesn't like playing in' to 'won't mind any position, but feels better on the left'. ok, great insight from Michael Cox.
These world class journalists and reporters I tell ya!

Jaybomb

RW. It has to be.

If Mata plays, he could take up the LW spot but considering Martial is in blistering form, it would be criminal to drop him right now.

Android1974

I shouldn't be answering to you, since you're not really interested in the discussion. But those statements from Sánchez were from 2014, and since then he practically hasn't played for Arsenal on the right, although he played every other position in attack, as you can see here, so I do think Michael Cox has an insight, yeah.

Android1974

“More comfortable on the left, because it allows me to take defenders on and make diagonals with my right foot. It's easier to score goals like this, to shoot.”

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He'll start on the right but him and Lingard are intelligent enough to be able to interchange. We'll also have the players to change formations and personnel, so he could potentially play anywhere in a front 3 or 4 depending on the opposition.

OL29

I think he'll start centrally and drift to the left allowing Martial to come inside.

Rajma

Doesn't really matter what position he occupies what he brings to the table is something we severely lacking and Today's game was just a confirmation of that is cool head and decision making in the final third - making that right move or pass is going to be invaluable for us.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Right wing. I'd imagine with plenty of interchanging with the #10. Probably the odd game on the left and up top too. I think his flexibility was part of the attraction to Mourinho.

J_Red 11

When you have an intelligent player + top quality services like Sanchez, where he's going to play shouldn't be a debate. He can play anywhere behind striker left, right, centre and also as a lone striker, and he has played in those positions in his career with no issue. He can score goals & create assists and gives us flexibility if the manager wants to change formation or if we have a lot of injuries.

Martial Lukaku Sanchez :drool:

DarkXaero

Right wing in Mata's spot. Can also play Lingard's current role. He's a very versatile attacking player so I'm not worried about the fit.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When you have an intelligent player + top quality services like Sanchez, where he's going to play shouldn't be a debate. He can play anywhere behind striker left, right, centre and also as a lone striker, and he has played in those positions in his career with no issue. He can score goals & create assists and gives us flexibility if the manager wants to change formation or if we have a lot of injuries.

Martial Lukaku Sanchez :drool:
Amen

slir32

He has to be Right wing with the licence to swap with whoever is playing #10.

Dolf

Most of his games on the right were for Barcelona and not Arsenal, though, a much better team.
You actually made me do this at 3 am. On the plus side my Pages skills got better and i found my calculator again.

Hope this helps the discussion a bit.

Barcelona had a better team and the Premier League is completely different to La Liga, therefore we should probably only look at his Arsenal statistics.
Based on his Arsenal statistics his best position would be Center Forward, although he has double the experience as a Left Winger while only a slight difference (180 to 145) in minutes per goal.

On the other hand, how different is the Right Wing position at Barcelona from a Right Wing position at United? He is a PL proven player so i doubt he couldn't do for us what he did for them. I suppose it all comes down to what he prefers but we don't seem to have space on the left since that would mean benching Martial.

Either way, it's not like he is complete hopeless on the right side or as a CF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damien

RedCurry

He’ll start on the right. But our attackers behind Lukaku are fairly flexible and everyone can play centrally or wide so I assume Sanchez will play centrally in some games.

cyril C

Maybe he will play as a striker? He was a beast there for Arsenal last season. Lukaku at times has played right wing, mostly when Ibra was on the pitch, and tbh he wasn't awful, has good crossing ability as we have seen and likes to cut in dangerously. It's really unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jose test it out once or twice.
Come on, Lukaku us not a right winger, he only did that to accommodate Ibra and it was a failed experiment. Lukaku in the middle or bench. Sanchez on the right most of the time, replacing Mata, whether 4231 or 433. We may play 2 strikers with 1 #10 behind, then Sanchez can be 1 of the striker. Generally speaking Sanchez needs freedom of movement but he can't play 50 games a season. I think Wenger relied too much from him in last few seasons.

Tjm118

Hopefully on the right of a 4-3-3. He can easily interchange with both Martial and Lukaku to add some extra unpredictability to our game. Not sure if Jose will give up on the 4-2-3-1 though, given Lingard's upturn in form recently as the #10.

Android1974

You actually made me do this at 3 am. On the plus side my Pages skills got better and i found my calculator again.

Barcelona had a better team and the Premier League is completely different to La Liga, therefore we should probably only look at his Arsenal statistics.
Based on his Arsenal statistics his best position would be Center Forward, although he has double the experience as a Left Winger while only a slight difference (180 to 145) in minutes per goal.

On the other hand, how different is the Right Wing position at Barcelona from a Right Wing position at United? He is a PL proven player so i doubt he couldn't do for us what he did for them. I suppose it all comes down to what he prefers but we don't seem to have space on the left since that would mean benching Martial.

Thanks, really helpful.

Eddy_JukeZ

I hope he plays centrally. He is best there IMO.

But with the current squad, probably on the right.

Hopefully we bring in 1 more attacker during the summer that's comfortable on the right.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We all hope he play RW here, its no brainer.

But he played LW/foward more in Arsenal, that's the position that made him truly worldclass.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I hope he plays centrally. He is best there IMO.

But with the current squad, probably on the right.

Hopefully we bring in 1 more attacker during the summer that's comfortable on the right.
Think he'll pretty much just play where lingard starts most times. He's class on the wing of course but loves having a free role. So best probably as the 10 IMO, pushing right up at times and roaming around. Everyone else fight it out for the other 2 spots, but he's the only must start IMO. And lukaku for Mourinho. Martial getting there but obviously with sanchez now, if lingard and Mata are in great form, you put Sanchez on the left.

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal
He'll get goals and assists regardless of wether he's on the left or right. On the left he gets slightly predictable as he always cuts in but his style of play is such that he used to (:() pop up both on the left and centrally for us.

I think his position will be a function of who you can bench from your current setup - so I guess he'll play on the right?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Right wing or centrally. Dropping Martial to the bench would be sheer stupidity - we need more threats in our starting XI.
This.

Martial is a smashing young player. To stunt his development in favour of Sanchez would see us standing still rather than moving forwards.

Martial on the left and Sanchez on the right.

Denis79

This.

Martial is a smashing young player. To stunt his development in favour of Sanchez would see us standing still rather than moving forwards.

Martial on the left and Sanchez on the right.
There's no way Sanchez is going to take his place, Lingard could be in trouble though.

el3mel

Against midtable teams :

Matic - Pogba
Sanchez - Lingard - Martial
Lukaku​

Against big teams :

Matic - Herrera
Pogba
Sanchez - Lukaku - Martial.​

When we go 3-5-2 :

Bailly - Jones - Smalling
Valencia - Matic - Pogba - Young
Sanchez
Lukaku - Martial​

wolvored

The fact that Matas contract doesnt look like being renewed, as its up in the summer, to me means he will occupy the right wing as thing stand. Matas pace lets him and the team down quite a lot, and Sanchez has everything Mata has skill and goals wise, and then some. Saying that Sanchez will be our best attacker, so if he says he wants to play from the left, dont be surprised to see Martial and Lingard moved around. If he wants to be ss it will just be Lingard. Mourinho wont worry who he displaces for the good of the team.

Andy_Cole

Good work.

settembrini

He will probably play both as a #10 and on the right this season. Either would be fine with me, if he plays on the left and Martial gets dropped I will join my fellow redcafe posters in the meltdown that will follow.