Sancho won’t return to Man Utd until he's ready - Way too much inappropriate speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakuza_devils

Just send him back to Dortmund as a sweetener for Bellingham.
Another overrated Dortmund's English player. Don't get me wrong, he is good but not $110mils good. Remember Sancho was linked to almost every top club before he signed for us.

Darkhorsez

To be fair to Sancho..

He was absolutely on fire at Dortmund, rated one of the best young attacking talents in the world. He then got a mega move transfer to Utd with a huge salary boost and then...

- Ronaldo came in a few weeks later, which would have completely changed the dynamics
- The manager who signed him was fired, the next manager lasted only a few months
- The next manager signed a player in Antony in arguably the same position Sancho was signed for at an even higher transfer fee
- His team mate and Utd and England peer was booted out for allegedly being a rapist
- Sancho couldn't get into the XI for the Euros and watched the rest of the team reached the final
- Was brought on in the last few minutes and then missed a crucial penalty in the knockouts
- Was basically dropped by England
- Missed out on a World Cup where England were one of the favourites..

To be fair he's had a pretty rough 18 months.. that's a lot of mental pressure for a 20 year old.

Maybe Ten Hag is just being a superb man manager and getting him out of the limelight for a while to recover while the games are fairly low value.
If Sancho comes back and is on fire near the end of the season it'll be seen as an absolutely genius move
Great post!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Kind of annoyed by the reporting on this now. Just assume he's out until ETH says otherwise and give his the time away he hopefully needs to refind his Dortmund form.
It's only going to intensify the longer he is out as well- Sancho still not back at Utd, will he ever return etc...

That's why I think it was a mistake for ETH to mention it because it will likely intensify the scrutiny of Sancho's performances, down to his work rate, body language etc...when he does return.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The one thing I never got was Ten Hag not playing Sancho on the right.

He would almost always have him on the left except for a few games.

He just looks better on the right - gives us some width and some decision making of the opposition defenders to decide whether he is going to cut in or not.

Rashford however is being played on the right whilst Anthony tends to just cut in.

Bondi77

Another overrated Dortmund's English player. Don't get me wrong, he is good but not $110mils good. Remember Sancho was linked to almost every top club before he signed for us.
Which other clubs made a bid for him?

Betson

He was linked but no other club showed any concrete interest once Dortmund named their price , we had a free run at him as we were the only ones who would consider paying such a price and that was after a price cut , no other premiership club made any offer as they had doubts about his suitability for the premier league physique wise. Southgate was getting a lot of undeserved criticism for not really rating him regardless of what he was doing in Germany.

Hopefully he can come back stronger both mentally and physically but so far it is a move that has not worked out for either side.

jesperjaap

You are saying that as though Sanho isnt very good, he is obviously a player with huge talent and not over rated, as neither are many English players at the moment, we have several top young ENglish players that most clubs in the world would love to have.

Yes he has been poor here, so has Veron, DiMaria etc etc etc. The problems seem to be mental. Of coruse we havent had much luck with Dortmund signings over the years and who knows if SAncho comes back and establishes himself either here or at another club, but he has bags of ability to justify the price tag if he can perform even though it hasnt happeend and may not

jesperjaap

Great post!
I agree, settling at a new club, let alone one the size of ours, that has been struggling is a huge thing alone, especially with such a price tag....but the poster you responded too listing all the added pressures and no doubt many we are not even aware of....its not been easy.

Whether he comes back and ever makes it is another thing altogether, but doubting his ability seems a bit absurd, juding his performances is fair enough as that is what matters at the end of the day.

But lets not write him off as a flopfor another 12-18months is what I would add

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is good for England in the WC. I am convinced he will be very good player in future.

PeteManic

If Sancho was so good, why did he sign for United and not City or Liverpool? And why did Ole not want him? All coming out in the wash now.

Glorio

If Sancho was so good, why did he sign for United and not City or Liverpool? And why did Ole not want him? All coming out in the wash now.
Errm... Because Man United is a big club that came second ahead of Liverpool just before he signed for us? :houllier::houllier::houllier:

By your immensely flawed logic, Varane, Casemiro, Licha, Bruno are all poor players. We might as well go liquidate the club and go home as we have no chance of convincing any decent players.

The full quotes of the initial Ten Hag interview that spurred this are out. Reads a bit different to how it was chopped up and framed:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT'S THE STATE OF JADON SANCHO'S FITNESS?

First we didn't see him the last games for United, so he wasn't in the right status, in the right fitness state, so now he's on an individual programme and we want him to finish that programme and hopefully, we see him back soon.

NOT IN THE RIGHT FITNESS STATE? INJURED OR NOT FIT ENOUGH TO PLAY?

He’s not fit enough to be here.

WHY?

Sometimes there are circumstances with fitness and mood. Now he’s on a physical programme and our aim is to get him back as quickly as possible.

SANCHO WAS SO GOOD ON TOUR. WHAT’S HAPPENED?

He was good but also when the league started he played some good games like Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal. After we got a drop of level and what happens sometimes you don’t know why or what is causing it. That is what we’re doing now, trying to research and now we try to get him back there. It’s a combination of physical but also mentally.

WAS HIS CONFIDENCE HIT BY NOT GETTING IN THE ENGLAND SQUAD?

I think there’s huge competition in England. When I see the front line the manager really has choices there. Even now in the World Cup for him every game is difficult who to start because there’s so much talent in the offensive line and there’s big competition now. When you don’t show it week by week you can fall out of the squad which is what happened.

WHEN DID YOU REALISE HE WAS DROPPING OFF?

Most of the time it comes slowly. On the tour he played really well, the start of the league he played really well, after the break his performance was lower. First you observe but then also the stats back it up and in the start of the season he had goals and assist and his key moments and key actions and it became less and less.

WHERE IS SANCHO NOW?

I think I just gave it. He’s not here we want to bring him back as quickly as possible but I can’t give a prognosis of when that will be.

pogbasformerbarber

I understand the expectations leveled in these players when they earn and cost so much money…but the lad is 22 years old.

I’ve worked at my PE firm now for over 11 years and have an amazingly enjoyable career, but I was admittedly a mess of immaturity at 22.

Everyone handles pressure and expectations differently and there is still plenty of time for a player his age to have a long, productive career at MU. I think ETH’s actions towards him point to a similar belief frankly, as this does not seem anywhere close to a write off.

I’m stunned at the amount of knee jerk write offs in this thread. We can all be a bit disappointed at this point, but some people on here have the patience of gnat…

Judas

Open to offers
I'll see how it all plays out, but part of me thinks just pretending he had an injury would have put less pressure and create less chat than admitting he's not physically or mentally ready to play.

Darkhorsez

I agree, settling at a new club, let alone one the size of ours, that has been struggling is a huge thing alone, especially with such a price tag....but the poster you responded too listing all the added pressures and no doubt many we are not even aware of....its not been easy.

Whether he comes back and ever makes it is another thing altogether, but doubting his ability seems a bit absurd, juding his performances is fair enough as that is what matters at the end of the day.

But lets not write him off as a flopfor another 12-18months is what I would add
Yeah - agreed

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Our record of failing to develop talent is pretty impressive. ETH seems to have the capcity to turn that round, as with Rashford. I think he will do the same with Sancho and in 12 months time the people writing him off will look ridiculous.

If it were Ole he would have kept him in the squad getting worse and worse.

Last edited:

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I'll see how it all plays out, but part of me thinks just pretending he had an injury would have put less pressure and create less chat than admitting he's not physically or mentally ready to play.
Nah, I don’t think so. If it gets to a point where you can’t play — which it obviously had, before the WC he was of course physically fit to play, he was reported I’ll, the odds of him having a mega flu that kept him out for three weeks are slim to none — you must take a step back and get things in order.

Rule of thumb is that doing that will take around 6 months to a year. In any organization, if it gets to this point you hope for it to be a quarter but plan for it to be 6-12 months. With medication, a super fit young kid, who knows, maybe it can go a lot faster, but I mean, he has been out for two months already right?

I also think it sends the wrong message to the kid. What do you tell him, “look we think we should lie about the issues you have because they are shameful”?

This is the first time the reporters had a chance to ask ETH question on Sancho during a normal pc before a game. Don’t think it will be much of a regular story. Sancho got no option here. When it gets to a point where he misses games, it’s not something you fight through.

And like many have said previous in the thread, this does of course have nothing to do with having a tough time at United for a year. It’s years of stress related patterns, not just being in a good place mentally. He needs help with resetting that and it takes time to develop new patterns. Get the body to react differently. You don’t do it over night.

For anyone that have experienced these type of things, there really are no if’s and but’s or grey areas. It’s (a) issues that must be given time and it’s (b) not something you can sweep under the carpet.

Scottynaldinho

I wonder why it happens to our English players only. First Lingard, then Rashford and now Sancho. I won't be surprised if more footballers have mental health issues than they themselves realize.

Is there a chance that Phil Jones (more physical) and Maguire just refuse to accept and have these issues?

I fail to understand the reason, but can it be the abuse they receive on social media/media?

Bondi77

I wonder why it happens to our English players only. First Lingard, then Rashford and now Sancho. I won't be surprised if more footballers have mental health issues than they themselves realize.

Is there a chance that Phil Jones (more physical) and Maguire just refuse to accept and have these issues?

I fail to understand the reason, but can it be the abuse they receive on social media/media?
All English are mad!

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Jesus...
It's the social media era of overrated players. If the likes of Huddlestone, Reo-Cooker, Lennon, Adam Johnson played now they'd be hyped as much as some of the current generation of players are like Sancho, Rashford, Mount, Grealish, Saka,...
I find it crazy how people just don't say it as it is. They're just not good enough for top level football. Has nothing to do with mental issues. Mentality separates world class players from average thats why we don't have 1000s of Messi's or Ronaldo's playing football now.

phelans shorts

Then you’ll have the same people describing him as a crock. If Jadon has given the green light to Ten Hag describing it the way he has then it’s a massive positive in the long run.
Jesus...
It's the social media era of overrated players. If the likes of Huddlestone, Reo-Cooker, Lennon, Adam Johnson played now they'd be hyped as much as some of the current generation of players are like Sancho, Rashford, Mount, Grealish, Saka,...
I find it crazy how people just don't say it as it is. They're just not good enough for top level football. Has nothing to do with mental issues. Mentality separates world class players from average thats why we don't have 1000s of Messi's or Ronaldo's playing football now.
You should probably stick to the gifs.

GifLord

Then you’ll have the same people describing him as a crock. If Jadon has given the green light to Ten Hag describing it the way he has then it’s a massive positive in the long run.

You should probably stick to the gifs.
No some of you are completely brainwashed. Player doesn't do well/fullfill his potential > Mental Issues. But nobody asks the question what if he was overhyped and never good enough to begin with?

phelans shorts

No some of you are completely brainwashed. Player doesn't do well/fullfill his potential > Mental Issues. But nobody asks the question what if he was overhyped and never good enough to begin with?
Can you quote where I said that?

You’ll probably actually find that I’ve numerous posts in this thread alone saying that mental issues don’t necessarily hold somebody back, with examples.

GifLord

Can you quote where I said that?

You’ll probably actually find that I’ve numerous posts in this thread alone saying that mental issues don’t necessarily hold somebody back, with examples.

Look what Scottynaldinho wrote

Like seriously? Jones was overrated to oblivion with fans still quoting Fergie's line about him talking about Jones as a generational talent long after Fergie retired.
If people can't see Maguire's deficiencies they should stop watching football full stop.

phelans shorts

Look what Scottynaldinho wrote

Like seriously? Jones was overrated to oblivion with fans still quoting Fergie's line about him talking about Jones as a generational talent long after Fergie retired.
If people can't see Maguire's deficiencies they should stop watching football full stop.
But “some of you” implies my inclusion, no?

For what it’s worth, Maguire is nowhere near as bad as people make out, and I’d be very surprised if the constant barbs and memes don’t do massive amounts of damage to his self confidence, purely because he looks pretty dopey. He’s not and never was going to be world class, but he’s a very talented solid centre back as his international career and first 2 years here show us.

GifLord

But “some of you” implies my inclusion, no?

For what it’s worth, Maguire is nowhere near as bad as people make out, and I’d be very surprised if the constant barbs and memes don’t do massive amounts of damage to his self confidence, purely because he looks pretty dopey. He’s not and never was going to be world class, but he’s a very talented solid centre back as his international career and first 2 years here show us.
3 fricking years of watching him and this is what you come to?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Take the Maguire debate to one of the many Maguire threads please.

So here it is merry Christmas, everone's abusing Harry...
Can I come here to formulate the idea that Jadon Sancho has been taken under the (bingo) wing of a certain Mr Luke Shaw, and is now an Associate Chartered Pie-botherer?
It seems totally unfair to have a debate about player fitness without having ‘Fatboy’ mentioned at least once

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Can I come here to formulate the idea that Jadon Sancho has been taken under the (bingo) wing of a certain Mr Luke Shaw, and is now an Associate Chartered Pie-botherer?
It seems totally unfair to have a debate about player fitness without having ‘Fatboy’ mentioned at least once
:lol:It's a compelling theory. Just hope Shaw doesn't start giving him fashion advice too.

DSG

99% of the Caf has not played high level football. Even in lower leagues, League One for instance, the competition is pretty fierce. Mentality is a huge part of the game. Learning to control the negative feelings and thoughts is part of becoming a top footballer.

Good article discussing just that…
https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...league-players-find-redemption-after-setbacks

A lot of you yahoos are looking at this with a very narrow perspective. This is a £70m asset. We’ve seen others leave OT and resurrect their careers (Memphis, Forlan, etc). Let’s give the lad some time. He’s too technically gifted and too expensive to be thrown on the trash heap.

jesperjaap

Has the pressure maybe came from the press, social media, his deleteing social media AND threads like this one really though?

Reading teh Ten Hag comments, I wonder if the current predicament is being blown out of all proportion.

RedCheekz

I was excited for him come to us but there is no denying the fact he been garbage. He’s a good player technically but he has no pace and most of all he has no desire to improve, he’s not a champion and he’s lost that hunger which youngsters usually have….. well use to have before these ridiculous contracts they given.

I honestly think we should sell him, take the hit and invest in a new player who is hungry to be a champion.

Sometimes players on big transfer fees don’t work out. It happened with fergie on veron but Fergie didn’t waste no time, took the financial hit and moved on for the better.

Señor Sloppy

He did have his issues related to mentality at Dortmund too. For example, he was fined and dropped from the team on numerous occasions for various forms of lateness, alongside simple bouts of poor form. He always rebounded to regain his level eventually however.

I'd suggest the only real issue is that he's simply still just a kid who needs to develop a little extra professionalism and mental resilience, which will naturally come with time anyway.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He did have his issues related to mentality at Dortmund too. For example, he was fined and dropped from the team on numerous occasions for various forms of lateness, alongside simple bouts of poor form. He always rebounded to regain his level eventually however.

I'd suggest the only real issue is that he's simply still just a kid who needs to develop a little extra professionalism and mental resilience, which will naturally come with time anyway.
I think what ETH is doing is fine too, he's saying "you are below the expected level" so he's been sent elsewhere to work on it.

He's building the club to have high expectations again.

Mindhunter

Any English player that plays outside of the PL in a forward position for a CL team is always overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.