SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What about the huge death toll so far, they would have had a common cold at some point?
The common cold is no single virus, it's a collection of viruses which are ever mutating. I'm sceptical of this news but I guess it's possible that there has been a particular strain at some point which has resulted in antibodies which have some effect against covid-19?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Apparently the Oxford University trials feature children. Why are children used as guinea pigs when they're not of an age to consider possible repurcussions to their well-being?

Dan_F

Apparently congregations in public areas of up to 500 people might be allowed from the middle of June onwards in Slovenia. We've had 4 new confirmed cases in the past week.
Will be interesting to see how they manage that over peak summer. There’s flights from London in August for about £25 and it’s usually £100 plus that time of year. Do they plan on introducing quarantines or keeping border restrictions?

clarkydaz

The common cold is no single virus, it's a collection of viruses which are ever mutating. I'm sceptical of this news but I guess it's possible that there has been a particular strain at some point which has resulted in antibodies which have some effect against covid-19?
i see, thanks. Lets hope so

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Apparently the Oxford University trials feature children. Why are children used as guinea pigs when they're not of an age to consider possible repurcussions to their well-being?
Parental consent. Lots of drugs are tested in kids on this basis. Better to make sure a drug is safe/effective in small, carefully selected and monitored group of kids than give it to millions of kids - including vulnerable kids, with underlying health conditions - without fully understanding the safety profile.

SteveJ

Scout
Better to make sure a drug is safe/effective in small, carefully selected and monitored group of kids than give it to millions of kids - including vulnerable kids, with underlying health conditions - without fully understanding the safety profile.
Oh yeah, that's entirely fair enough, mate.

Ludens the Red

Well, the fat folk can in almost all cases improve things for themselves, but there needs to be loads of thought put into how people from BAME heritages can be protected. I think vaccines should first be given to non-white people and the overweight (as well as healthcare workers, of course).
I agree healthcare workers for sure should get priority but for the rest its not that simple. I understand when people see these pure figures they come to this conclusion but going down this route you suggest is flawed. It should never really be a consideration to give priority vaccinations to people purely based on race.
It isn’t that black and Asians are susceptible purely because of their race/genetics as people sometimes think. It’s because black and Asians are more likely to live in either poverty, have untreated and undiagnosed medical conditions or have a poor diet (this due to the high levels of salt, sugar and fat in black and asian cuisines) and this dietary factor is massive. This will all contribute to black and Asians being more susceptible to those underlying health conditions.

However there are plenty of healthy black and asian people out there. Who it’d be pointless giving a priority vaccination to just because of their race.

Even before the coronavirus black and asian people were dying from these conditions at a higher rate than none black and Asians.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I agree healthcare workers for sure should get priority but for the rest its not that simple. I understand when people see these pure figures they come to this conclusion but going down this route you suggest is flawed. It should never really be a consideration to give priority vaccinations to people purely based on race.
It isn’t that black and Asians are susceptible purely because of their race/genetics as people sometimes think. It’s because black and Asians are more likely to live in either poverty, have untreated and undiagnosed medical conditions or have a poor diet (this due to the high levels of salt, sugar and fat in black and asian cuisines) and this dietary factor is massive. This will all contribute to black and Asians being more susceptible to those underlying health conditions.

However there are plenty of healthy black and asian people out there. Who it’d be pointless giving a priority vaccination to just because of their race.

Even before the coronavirus black and asian people were dying from these conditions at a higher rate than none black and Asians.
You're right - it would need to be more focused. I made it sound too simplistic.

SteveJ

Scout
What an indictment of successive governments it is that, down the decades, we read of recurring headlines like 'People in the north more likely to die of cancer/tuberculosis/rickets etc'; 'People die young outside of London'; 'Children found to be malnourished'; and 'Wealth inequality gap widens'.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Oh yeah, that's entirely fair enough, mate.
It’s actually quite a recent development. Up until the last few years, there’s been a reluctance to do drug trials in kids. Because of the concerns you expressed above. However, there’s been a lot of examples of quite nasty side effects turning up in kids that adult testing didn’t uncover. You can’t assume children are tiny adults, they’re quite different physiologically. Something which is being made very apparent with covid, where kids respond so differently to the virus. So the regulators have decided that more paediatric studies need to be done. Exact same situation with the elderly (minus the concerns around consent).

Last edited:

RedRover

What about the huge death toll so far, they would have had a common cold at some point?
The suggestion (to the best extent I understand) is that since a lot of colds are not caused by a coronavirus, the percentage that are may offer some level of immunity.

clarkydaz

The suggestion (to the best extent I understand) is that since a lot of colds are not caused by a coronavirus, the percentage that are may offer some level of immunity.
thats interesting, then maybe those that have it and are asymptomatic may fall into this category?

Revan

Assumptionman
4 of them are coronaviruses, and they are responsible for 20-30% of common colds. If people get some immunity from common cold, it is almost sure that happens only if the cold was caused from one of the coronaviruses.

SteveJ

Scout
^The Trump Virus^. No prospect of a cure.

gormless

These would be interesting legal cases because there would be no way of proving that the accused caused the transmission, especially given both these deaths involved workers in high risk jobs with regular exposure to situations of contagion. Could they be convicted on the balance of probability?
Family could sue as that’s balance of probability. Criminal trials are beyond all reasonable doubt

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One of the most damning retrospects is that MUCH poorer countries with MUCH bigger populations than UK have had far stricter and lengthier lockdowns.
In Kenya's case. they had a lockdown or a semi-lockdown a could of months ago when they had like 7 cases. I think they know that they don't have the resources to mitigate a community spread. The caveat is that their testing number/capita is still very low.

Classical Mechanic

Family could sue as that’s balance of probability. Criminal trials are beyond all reasonable doubt
So in criminal terms they’d probably get no more than a charge of common assault? I’d guess that the CPS might go for a manslaughter charge for PR reasons but you’d expect any decent defence to beat it.

gormless

So in criminal terms they’d probably get no more than a charge of common assault? I’d guess that the CPS might go for a manslaughter charge for PR reasons but you’d expect any decent defence to beat it.
Common assault, and if I was asked to investigate would be tempted, depending on circumstances such as how many witnessed it, I would also lock up for outraging public decency, to see if it sticks (99.9% sure it wouldn’t, but I would try).

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah, good luck with that, Piers.

King Eric 7

Piers Morgan is making me feel uncomfortable. How can I find myself agreeing with him about anything? And more than once too :nervous: Still think he's a cnut though.

SteveJ

Scout
Piers Morgan is making me feel uncomfortable. How can I find myself agreeing with him about anything? And more than once too :nervous: Still think he's a cnut though.
Agreed. It's incredibly difficult to trust in his sincerity though. I noted that the one position guaranteed to gain him publicity while on stateside tv - being anti-gun - was the one he adopted.

King Eric 7

Agreed. It's incredibly difficult to trust in his sincerity though. I noted that the one position guaranteed to gain him publicity while on stateside tv - being anti-gun - was the one he adopted.
Yeah definitely. I can see how he picked up on the public mood quite early on, even criticising Trump to be on the right side of the argument.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What's happened in Spain today? Back up to almost 2k cases and 688 deaths?

SteveJ

Scout
Laura with the assist, as per.

SteveJ

Scout
'A source beside me said "It's not true that he was spoken to by police...put the kettle on, love. Shit, there's Carrie walking up the path - get dressed and f*ck off"'.

Snafu17

Will be interesting to see how they manage that over peak summer. There’s flights from London in August for about £25 and it’s usually £100 plus that time of year. Do they plan on introducing quarantines or keeping border restrictions?
They initially announced there will be no quarantine for nationals of EU and EEA member states, but they rolled that back significantly now. Quarantine is still in effect for most people entering the country (neighbouring states have more a bit more leeway), but they did say they will, in time, lift border restrictions for other EEA/EU countries depending on their specific situation.

prateik

Two stories from today..

HCQ breakthrough: ICMR finds it’s effective in preventing coronavirus, expands its use
Three studies find that hydroxychloroquine reduces chances of contracting Covid, so ICMR allows more frontline workers to take it as a preventive drug.

https://theprint.in/health/hcq-brea...reventing-coronavirus-expands-its-use/427583/

Large study finds hydroxychloroquine Covid-19 treatments linked to greater risk of death and heart arrhythmia

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-new...e-05-22-20/h_a5569b9e019b7c5f2d0c916b21bc0959