SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

redshaw

No UK deaths data but cases are 1148

Edit, 102 deaths

Last edited:
For anyone who noticed/cares, I just got my test results back. Negative. Am secretly gutted. Symptoms were very mild and had been patting myself on the back for having such a kick ass immune system.
I had a nasty cough and felt pretty tired and weak for a few days in April. Was sure it was Covid, antibody test said it wasn’t.
It’s weird but yeah, gutting, would be so nice to know you had it with no issues.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
For anyone who noticed/cares, I just got my test results back. Negative. Am secretly gutted. Symptoms were very mild and had been patting myself on the back for having such a kick ass immune system.
Yeah, I'd rather have had it and be healthy too than not have had it at all. Just carry on trying not to get it I suppose. My mate tested negative as well, and was told to go back to work straight away, which I found surprising. She got the result in under 24hrs incidentally.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, I'd rather have had it and be healthy too than not have had it at all. Just carry on trying not to get it I suppose. My mate tested negative as well, and was told to go back to work straight away, which I found surprising. She got the result in under 24hrs incidentally.
I was 34 hours from swab to result. Less than 48 hours between phoning my GP and having a result on my phone. Amazing how much things have improved from first month or two.

The one thing this dose has done is rocked my confidence in the measures I’ve been taking to stay safe. I’ve been following all the government advice to the letter and a sneaky fecking virus still got through my defences. Makes you think.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I was 34 hours from swab to result. Less than 48 hours between phoning my GP and having a result on my phone. Amazing how much things have improved from first month or two.

The one thing this dose has done is rocked my confidence in the measures I’ve been taking to stay safe. I’ve been following all the government advice to the letter and a sneaky fecking virus still got through my defences. Makes you think.
Do some viruses not lurk in your system and become active when triggered? Herpes-type things? Maybe you got it a long time ago. Or you didn't wash your hands long enough. :nono:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Do some viruses not lurk in your system and become active when triggered? Herpes-type things? Maybe you got it a long time ago. Or you didn't wash your hands long enough. :nono:
Herpes (and chicken pox) can lurk but none of the URTI viruses can, as far as I know. I’m sure I fecked up somewhere along the line. I was absolutely terrible at self isolating from my family while waiting for the text. Kept on catching myself letting rip with mega cough or sneeze in shared areas. D’oh!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I had a nasty cough and felt pretty tired and weak for a few days in April. Was sure it was Covid, antibody test said it wasn’t.
It’s weird but yeah, gutting, would be so nice to know you had it with no issues.
I'd be very curious to know if I've had it as I spent February in Spain or Italy, including Lombardy for a few days.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im hoping the theory that kids arent effective spreaders of the virus holds true. One of the members of the family infected is a primary school kid who has been going to school while infected.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Im hoping the theory that kids arent effective spreaders of the virus holds true. One of the members of the family infected is a primary school kid who has been going to school while infected.
The worry is that the very young (U9's) and the young (10-18) aren't less (or much less) likely to get infected but are underrepresented in the data largely due to them being far less symptomatic and so far less diagnosed and thus excluded from the data. How infectious to other age groups these age groups are seems to be less than certain.

hmchan

The one thing the WHO should have done was to recommend closing off China, both in and out, whilst they investigated the virus and the seriousness of it. This should have happened in early Jan as soon as they got wind of it.
As you say, after that most countries are doing their best and there is likely no “one size fits all” model. Looking at the figures to peak in early April, a shit load of countries already had an insane amount of the virus circulating before they even knew to put in any measures.
Other countries or states for that matter put in the most strict measures possible too early, only to then get smashed later when the measures were eased and they got what essentially was their first wave.
Cutting off or limiting the virus at it’s source should have been the WHO and every countries duty.
The incompetency of WHO and its bias towards China are pretty evident in this pandemic. Look at what they've done and said in January, they are ridiculous and they try everything to play down the threat of the virus. They care about stigmatization of China more than people's lives. We, Hongkongers, knew China and the WHO were hiding something and we had already asked to close off China by that time.

hmchan

I'm really skeptical to this. The whole theory is just based on only a few cases in New South Wales and there is no further scientific evidence to back that up.

Even if it's true, I really don't like this kind of news. They make certain group of people feel that they're safe and they'll become less vigilant in social distancing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm really skeptical to this. The whole theory is just based on only a few cases in New South Wales and there is no further scientific evidence to back that up.

Even if it's true, I really don't like this kind of news. They make certain group of people feel that they're safe and they'll become less vigilant in social distancing.
The main clusters in NSW at the moment are in schools.

While we can't be sure yet it looks like high school students spread the disease just as much as adults and although young kids may well be harder to infect they also have far greater opportunity to be infected due to the way young kids interact particularly at school (think - why do primary kids get nits far far more often that high school kids) with the two factors probably balancing each other out.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...about-how-children-spread-covid-19-180975396/

Personally I think we will find that the biggest factor in young kids being underrepresented in the data is that they are asymptomatic far more often. As kids are a major factor in spreading all other humans cold/flu viruses you have to suspect they are a major factor with covid and certainly will be if all schools are opened up.

RK

While we can't be sure yet it looks like high school students spread the disease just as much as adults and although young kids may well be harder to infect they also have far greater opportunity to be infected due to the way young kids interact particularly at school (think - why do primary kids get nits far far more often that high school kids) with the two factors probably balancing each other out.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...about-how-children-spread-covid-19-180975396/

Personally I think we will find that the biggest factor in young kids being underrepresented in the data is that they are asymptomatic far more often. As kids are a major factor in spreading all other humans cold/flu viruses you have to suspect they are a major factor with covid and certainly will be if all schools are opened up.
The Sweden-Finland study that @Regulus Arcturus Black posted suggested that teachers didn't have a higher rate of infection than other professions. In Sweden it was daycare and primary teachers that operated throughout while secondary came back more recently (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If high numbers of young children were asymptomatic but capable spreaders, I'd expect to see teachers being infected at a higher rate than presented. Any other thoughts as to why this might not be the case?

My take over the weeks/months is that young children are less susceptible to the virus and transmission is lower, with a gradient between infants and adults. Secondary schools could be a problem.

Either way there's not a great deal of hard evidence so caution makes sense.

hmchan

The study is based on testing the close contacts of infected students for the virus, so I think whether they are symptomatic is irrelevant. Yet, I still think the sample size is small and there is no further scientific evidence to back that up. The last thing we want is that certain group of people, especially kids and their parents, feel that they're safe and they become less vigilant in social distancing.

https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.o...ders-afterall-new-research-suggests-1.5552099

The Sweden-Finland study that @Regulus Arcturus Black posted suggested that teachers didn't have a higher rate of infection than other professions. In Sweden it was daycare and primary teachers that operated throughout while secondary came back more recently (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If high numbers of young children were asymptomatic but capable spreaders, I'd expect to see teachers being infected at a higher rate than presented. Any other thoughts as to why this might not be the case?

My take over the weeks/months is that young children are less susceptible to the virus and transmission is lower, with a gradient between infants and adults. Secondary schools could be a problem.

Schools for kids up to 14 remained open, 15+ closed early (17th March) but return next week so that’s a huge concern here for the health authority @RK

Considering the virus spread in Stockholm in April and May, we’d have had lots of evidence here of parents of school kids and teachers getting Covid-19 at a disproportionate rate. That simply isn’t the case.

I must also add that kids at any age are not allowed to come to school with a runny nose or anything, so the teachers I know, and I know a few, have never been healthier. Their big hope is that parents stop being twats after Covid-19.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The study is based on testing the close contacts of infected students for the virus, so I think whether they are symptomatic is irrelevant. Yet, I still think the sample size is small and there is no further scientific evidence to back that up. The last thing we want is that certain group of people, especially kids and their parents, feel that they're safe and they become less vigilant in social distancing.

https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5552099?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15971915593627&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/children-may-not-be-super-spreaders-afterall-new-research-suggests-1.5552099
That small study may have but all the other data suggests the young are far more likely to get infected than we first thought and those over about 10 should be treated as adults. Not nailed down 100% certain but far more caution is needed.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I don't know that data but here childcare and early childhood was operating at about 10% capacity and those staffing it were taking fairly extreme PPE measures even when infections were a fraction of those experienced elsewhere. And don't the Scandanavia countries have very different school system where they don't start school until much later - maybe even 9 or 10?

The number of infections in the U9's is still surprisingly high. In NSW where we only have a fraction of the number of cases in Victoria schools have almost instantly become the center of to big clusters as soon as school restarts.

And it may be that young kids are slightly less able to pass the infection that adults or that adult infections teaching staff of various categories is getting partly lost in statistical noise in areas where the virus has run free. Either way I think we are being far to blase and trusting if far from convincing data. Kids are a major driver of almost every other respiratory virus so we really should start from that point imo.

I don't know that data but here childcare and early childhood was operating at about 10% capacity and those staffing it were taking fairly extreme PPE measures even when infections were a fraction of those experienced elsewhere. And don't the Scandanavia countries have very different school system where they don't start school until much later - maybe even 9 or 10?
9 or 10 :lol:

Actual school starts at 7. Pre-school and kindergarten is state funded so the vast majority of children attend. Just 6% of 3-5 year olds don’t attend pre-school: https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/artiklar/2019/23-000-barn-gar-inte-i-forskola/
90% of 2 year olds go to kindergarten.
No PPE used by teachers here.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

That wouldn’t explain why young kids who get tested because they are household contacts of cases are consistently less likely than adults to become infected.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That wouldn’t explain why young kids who get tested because they are household contacts of cases are consistently less likely than adults to become infected.
Maybe less but certainly not as unlikely to become infected as has been suggested. And children interact with each other differently at school.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Maybe less but certainly not as unlikely to become infected as has been suggested. And children interact with each other differently at school.
Less will do. And the way kids interact with each other at school surely can’t be any more intimate than the way they interact with siblings/parents at home.

At the end of day kids of any age can clearly catch and spread the virus but all the evidence points towards them being less likely to be significant sources of contagion than adults and they are definitely less likely to get unwell than adults. Taking all of this into account - as well as the evidence from places like Sweden - and the priority school attendance has for us as a society means there’s no doubt in my mind that primary schools should all reopen next month.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
9 or 10 :lol:

Actual school starts at 7. Pre-school and kindergarten is state funded so the vast majority of children attend. Just 6% of 3-5 year olds don’t attend pre-school: https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/artiklar/2019/23-000-barn-gar-inte-i-forskola/
90% of 2 year olds go to kindergarten.
No PPE used by teachers here.
In a country where the virus wasn't subject to a lockdown you might expect kidergarden teachers to be infected significantly less often if the U9's are so low risk. If they were getting infected by the kids, even if not as much as they could if the kids were adults, you probably wouldn't be able to tell.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Excellent news mate. Have a virtual, non contact PPE protected hug from me

BootsyCollins

From what i am hearing kids are just as likley to get it compared to adults, but show milder symptomps.
Also, and i always thought this was what the swedish health ministry was talking about, they (kids) are much less likley to spread it to an adult.

In a country where the virus wasn't subject to a lockdown you might expect kidergarden teachers to be infected significantly less often if the U9's are so low risk. If they were getting infected by the kids, even if not as much as they could if the kids were adults, you probably wouldn't be able to tell.
I just got corrected via PM by the way, the pre-school class aged 6 is obligatory. https://www.skolverket.se/regler-och-ansvar/ansvar-i-skolfragor/forskoleklass---borja-och-narvara

Cheers @Meep

Not sure I can grasp what point you're trying to make in this post @Wibble? We know the high risk jobs in Sweden and the overrepresentation jobs, and kindy and primary school teachers aren't them. Parents of school kids are also not overrepresented.

Here are the official comments on it:

People in some professions are overrepresented when it comes to covid-19. This applies above all to service professions such as taxi and bus drivers and pizza bakers who have been infected five times more than other professions.

- Living conditions also come into play, says Tegnell.

The report also shows that occupational groups in school, preschool and upper secondary school are not infected more than other occupational groups. The proportion of teachers in upper secondary schools who are infected is smaller than other occupational groups in general.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Less will do. And the way kids interact with each other at school surely can’t be any more intimate than the way they interact with siblings/parents at home.
Similar lack of distancing but with far more individuals.

At the end of day kids of any age can clearly catch and spread the virus but all the evidence points towards them being less likely to be significant sources of contagion than adults and they are definitely less likely to get unwell than adults. Taking all of this into account - as well as the evidence from places like Sweden - and the priority school attendance has for us as a society means there’s no doubt in my mind that primary schools should all reopen next month.
Most likrly less infectious than adults but the numbers being infected are far higher than the narrative suggests. And kids interact with teachers, parents and other adults including grandparents.

As for opening I think it depends on how the situation is locally. For examole it is probably just about ok not to close the schools in NSW again just yet as we only gave 15-20 new infections per day with only 2 or 3 a day from an uncertain source but if that goes up much, especially if we start getting even more cases of community transmission then stage 3 lockdown will return and the schools will close with overwhelming support from the public. I really hope it doesn't come to that though.

Similar lack of distancing but with far more individuals.

Most likrly less infectious than adults but the numbers being infected are far higher than the narrative suggests. And kids interact with teachers, parents and other adults including grandparents.

As for opening I think it depends on how the situation is locally. For examole it is probably just about ok not to close the schools in NSW again just yet as we only gave 15-20 new infections per day with only 2 or 3 a day from an uncertain source but if that goes up much, especially if we start getting even more cases of community transmission then stage 3 lockdown will return and the schools will close with overwhelming support from the public. I really hope it doesn't come to that though.
I'm with Pogue here, after such a long time, the evidence against it would have to be extremely persuasive to keep schools closed, at this point it's the opposite so it's of the utmost importance to open schools asap.

If other businesses have to shut in order for this to happen, so be it.

Smores

When people talk about testing data for kids, is this the swab testing still? And is it including home tests?

Because any parent will know your chances of swab testing a child effectively are pretty damn remote.

Yes i think so. And they have mentioned at many press briefings also.
Aye, I think that Icelandic study together with the real life school situation in Sweden, and now several other countries where kids were back in school before the Summer hols are evidence enough that countries like the UK and Ireland should get their kids back in school asap.

Densely populated London had similar excess deaths on 12th May.
London weren’t way off on their numbers though, like Istanbul was, so how much can we trust the data since then? We’ll see next time the economist manages to get an update on Istanbul.
Gotta hold my hands up here @Fener1907, I was way way off on this one. Apologies pal.

Latest Economist update up to 28th July has only 4389 excess deaths in Istanbul; that's only 1500 above the official Covid-19 figure, I was expecting a silly number above the official one. Couldn't have been more wrong, but happy I am. Fair play to Turkey.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/15/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

Appears Portugal were a fair bit off with the numbers in April-May, but not that bad. But the offical data went really wrong in late-June through July. Coincidence that this happened just as the UK placed them on quarantine list which they were furious about? Or is that just me being silly? Personally I think the idea of punishing countries for sending reliable stats is a slippy slope and I said this when the UK first starting red listing; the worry is that countries like Portugal or Spain just think "feck it, we'll fudge the numbers then because what is the incentive to be truthful?" How do we know some "green" countries aren't utterly bullshitting their figures so as not to get hurt even more economically during these extremely trying times?

That France aren't red-listed yet and that no "traffic light system" has ever been unveiled by UK government is worrying, as are the reports that "ministers will discuss France today". What the feck do ministers have to do with it? There's either a system, or there isn't.
I think the threshold is too low, as countries, including the UK themselves are quite obviously going to dip above it from time to time and you are going to completely annihilate the travel sector by green light, red light, green light, red light, it's not sustainable.
Let people travel, get better at testing on return.

Last edited:

lynchie

Aye, I think that Icelandic study together with the real life school situation in Sweden, and now several other countries where kids were back in school before the Summer hols are evidence enough that countries like the UK and Ireland should get their kids back in school asap.
There's also been preschools open since June without any reports of significant outbreaks. My own son's preschool has been at essentially full attendance since the start of July, so I assume that's a similar situation elsewhere. If kids being disgusting germ delivery devices were a significant driver, we'd see it in preschools at least as much as in primary schools.