SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don't know enough about supply chains to know how they could be kept going if every country closed borders except for goods.
I do know that we're at 700,000 deaths worldwide with infection rates going up in alot of places.
Yes, it's really really shit. But like many people your just looking for answers when there isn't one right now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sounds about as likely to me as eradicating AIDS in the 80s by asking the global population to go without sex for 6 months.
Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m also being wise with hindsight. What I’m asking for now is a tough sell but would have been even harder to accept when the unpopular decisions needed to be made.

Although, it has to be said, a virus that clears the system as quickly as this one is a hell of lot easier to eradicate than something which lingers as long as HIV.

BootsyCollins

My colleague, who ive been in meetings with at least 3-4 times a month since january, just got her test back and it showed positive for antibodies. She has not even had so much of a cough the whole time.

Anyway, anybody heard from @Arruda ?
I really like his postings in this thread, and hope he is ok.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
My colleague, who ive been in meetings with at least 3-4 times a month since january, just got her test back and it showed positive for antibodies. She has not even had so much of a cough the whole time.

When you say “in meetings” have you and your colleague been in the same room together multiple times per month since January? That sounds a little reckless!

Echo your thoughts about @Arruda. Hopefully just dealing with so much covid during his day job he doesn’t fancy discussing it on here when he’s done.

gormless

Just checked his profile. Can’t believe it’s been almost 2 months since he posted. Time had been different since this pandemic started

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Review of UK death figures cuts toll by 5,000
A review of how UK deaths from coronavirus are counted has cut the death toll by more than 5,000 to 41,329, the government has announced.
Previously, people in England who died at any point following a positive test - regardless of cause of death - were counted in the daily published statistics.
But there will now be a cut-off of 28 days, providing what the government believes is a more accurate picture of the epidemic.
This brings England's data in line with the other UK nations.
Brilliant. Hopefully, the covid-19-related death toll will be negative by the end of the year: I trust the government

redshaw

I agree @Ecstatic, that's my frustration with the entire concept of "cases per million". It's made even worse when we know that certain countries absolutely are fudging the numbers or are utterly shit at it, yet may be declared "safe" due to these numbers.

As you posted, the UK has had worse stats than Sweden since the start, and even after that lockdown they still have worse stats. In the past 14 days we have reported 44 deaths in total, an average of 3.14 deaths per day. (the confirmed day of deaths total is actually 1 death per day average in past 14 days). So even now the UK has worse stats, even per million, and yet I'm red lighted from taking a visit home. It's utter bollocks.

If my family was in Finland or Norway, who have since day 1 had better stats than Sweden and continue to do so, it'd suck balls but I'd understand it. That aint the case though and my family are missing out on seeing my daughter grow up because of this nonsense.
Isn't it on cases. I'm sure it is. i don't think it matters what happened in March April and if one had 3000 dead per million. England also counts deaths of whom tested positive months ago so bringing up 50- dead or 80 dead per day might be inflated in this current time. UK has 65k excess deaths, that won't change of course but it's about the current risk and cases, how many are carrying, testing per capita and estimates.

Looking at some data quickly, Sweden is posting around 400 cases a day which is equivalent to 2600 per day in the UK and would be seen as high rate with those other countries.

Also probably there's a risk and balancing act surely for economy reasons, if we allow a country with a high rate, I'd put my house on that being France, our neighbouring channel tunnel country, doesn't mean it's carte blanche for any other country with high rates of cases or even lowish ones.

Extra is testing per capita, jokes aside UK is testing a lot more than most these days. Along with cases found there's estimates of how many have it at one time and Sweden may be testing half as much and finding around 400, that could point to a lot more per million cases than you might think, instead of being equivalent to UK having 2600, it could be 4k. That's a lot for a country of 10 million.

I would hope Netherlands are on the list, it's really flaring up there.

Netherlands have around 4000 cases last week which is equivalent to UK having 16000 per week. UK is currently on 5-6k per week. Netherlands have a lot of cases for a small country of 17 million.

Last edited:

BootsyCollins

When you say “in meetings” have you and your colleague been in the same room together multiple times per month since January? That sounds a little reckless!

Echo your thoughts about @Arruda. Hopefully just dealing with so much covid during his day job he doesn’t fancy discussing it on here when he’s done.
Yes i know, but we both need to be at work to do most of our work, and meetings are just the two of us, or maybe our third collaegue also, sitting down in a room to discuss something.
Most of the time we are outside, and we are all(the 4 of us who works there) super strickt about staying home when we feel the sligthest of symptoms and still staying home 3 days after the symptoms are gone.

Looking at some data quickly, Sweden is posting around 400 cases a day which is equivalent to 2600 per day in the UK and would be seen as high rate with those other countries.
No @redshaw, Sweden isn’t anything close to that.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

259 /day average. Equivalent to UK posting around 1500 cases.

And yes it’s on cases but who is setting requirements for testing ? Maybe France are just a shit load better than the UK at targeting the right areas and people to test for example.

The mere fact that the UK is still doing way worse than France & Sweden on daily deaths per capita gives a bit of a clue also.

Last edited:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
@gormless
@Pogue Mahone

Thanks guys, I'm fine. Just exhausted, I started working in A/E in late April and have been doing crazy hours, 70+ per week this last month. I was inexperienced in this kind of work so on top of the work itself I dedicate a lot of hours to study basic clinical stuff.

I ceased to have time for Covid. I don't watch news or follow the epidemiology closely any more. Not many cases in Azores (starting to rise now) but we still have to keep a unit for those so human resources are split. I worked in the Covid area for about a month. Not much to do, but horrible being there with the PPE. As cases (and suspected cases) dwindled to zero I asked to go to the normal A/E. I desperately needed the practical experience (I worked in pathogy previously). As a doctor I feel like I've learned more in these last three months than in several years combined. Desperately needed this.

Pandemic has been good for me at a personal level. It forced me out of extreme apathy and insecurity, as I felt I had to do something. The fact I was far ahead of the curve in terms of Covid knowledge made me gain extreme respect from a lot of people, and became quite popular locally. Now almost all doctors catched up in understanding it so I don't feel I need to fill that role anymore. But unlike a depressed mess smoking pot and playing videogames all day I now have a well paid job and feel useful for the first time in a long time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
@gormless
@Pogue Mahone

Thanks guys, I'm fine. Just exhausted, I started working in A/E in late April and have been doing crazy hours, 70+ per week this last month. I was inexperienced in this kind of work so on top of the work itself I dedicate a lot of hours to study basic clinical stuff.

I ceased to have time for Covid. I don't watch news or follow the epidemiology closely any more. Not many cases in Azores (starting to rise now) but we still have to keep a unit for those so human resources are split. I worked in the Covid area for about a month. Not much to do, but horrible being there with the PPE. As cases (and suspected cases) dwindled to zero I asked to go to the normal A/E. I desperately needed the practical experience (I worked in pathogy previously). As a doctor I feel like I've learned more in these last three months than in several years combined. Desperately needed this.

Pandemic has been good for me at a personal level. It forced me out of extreme apathy and insecurity, as I felt I had to do something. The fact I was far ahead of the curve in terms of Covid knowledge made me gain extreme respect from a lot of people, and became quite popular locally. Now almost all doctors catched up in understanding it so I don't feel I need to fill that role anymore. But unlike a depressed mess smoking pot and playing videogames all day I now have a well paid job and feel useful for the first time in a long time.
Delighted to hear it. Emergency Medicine is a great career. Good on you.

BootsyCollins

@gormless
@Pogue Mahone

I am glad you are ok.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
@gormless
@Pogue Mahone

Good man. Much respect to you.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Had to work late tonight so just nipped to McDonald’s drive thru cos can’t be arsed cooking and there’s about 30 people queueing out the door to eat inside, all standing within a few feet of one another. I counted 3 face masks.

decorativeed

Had to work late tonight so just nipped to McDonald’s drive thru cos can’t be arsed cooking and there’s about 30 people queueing out the door to eat inside, all standing within a few feet of one another. I counted 3 face masks.
You been back into town recently? Couldn't believe how apathetic people are there when I returned this week.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
@gormless
@Pogue Mahone

Great to hear that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You been back into town recently? Couldn't believe how apathetic people are there when I returned this week.
Yea a few times actually, once for a bit of a photography trip on Saturday morning and it was dead which was nice.

Then it was our wedding anniversary on Sunday so went for lunch, drinks and dinner. Everywhere we went was managing things well, we mostly sat outside, everyone was distancing with tables being left empty etc, staff in masks so it was all good.

Early Saturday morning and then Sunday afternoon/evening are probably the quietest times I could have gone though I guess.

gormless

@gormless
@Pogue Mahone

glad you’re doing well. I’m not in the medical profession myself, but my fiancée is. I know when she did Accident and Emergency medicine she absolutely loved it, though like you was doing some crazy hours.

glad you’re doing ok

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Completely random I know but this is a great thread, tons of helpful posters in here sharing useful links and info. Cheers

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not sure I can grasp what point you're trying to make in this post @Wibble? We know the high risk jobs in Sweden and the overrepresentation jobs, and kindy and primary school teachers aren't them. Parents of school kids are also not overrepresented.
My point is that there is a narrative out there that is likely wrong to an important degree. Young kids do get infected half a much as older kids who should be dealt with as adults. Even if, as we suspect, they spread it to each other and/or adults less often than adult to adult transmission this is still likely a source of infection and therefore shouldn't be almost completely dismissed the way it frequently is. The other thing is that high schools are being treated/though of as the same as junior schools and early education establishments and this is plainly wrong. Look at the clusters in NSW.

I'm not proposing shutting down schools in all circumstances, just pointing out that many politicians and others are far too blase with the health of our kids, teachers and the people they interact with.

I also wonder why school teachers and parents etc aren't underrepresented in the data as you might potentially expect?

Last edited:
I also wonder why school teachers and parents etc aren't underrepresented in the data as you might potentially expect?
Why would they be ”under represented”? That’s not what you’d expect at all, they still continue life just as the rest of society do.
It’s “over representation” that tells you if a job or place of work is a significant risk.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
So what is the way forward assuming the coming vaccines only have limited effectiveness. How will things work? We have a reasonably infectious disease and wildly differing approaches around the world as how to deal with it. How long do people expect time to pass till we reach some sort of equilibrium? Are we looking at masks and social distancing becoming a part of our everyday life? How long till the virus has actually impacted all areas of the planet? Im pessimistic of seeing a truely effective vaccine appearing within the next 2 years despite all the money and effort being thrown at the problem. I havent been able to work out the alternative world reality without one considering how varied the different govts are handling this.

redshaw

No @redshaw, Sweden isn’t anything close to that.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

259 /day average. Equivalent to UK posting around 1500 cases.

And yes it’s on cases but who is setting requirements for testing ? Maybe France are just a shit load better than the UK at targeting the right areas and people to test for example.

The mere fact that the UK is still doing way worse than France & Sweden on daily deaths per capita gives a bit of a clue also.
That's still high and higher than UK.

With the deaths, all the more reason to selectively allow countries if the UK situation is still not good. A free for all under a certain metric could do a lot of damage.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/us/pastor-macarthur-church-california/index.html

California church defies orders and holds indoor prayers with 6000-7000 people, in a county that is averaging 1000 infections a day.

There is absolutely no hope for USA till a vaccine. Even then, it's possible about 10% not able to afford it and another 10 not getting it out of sheer Idiocracy.
It's wild, I'm seeing several videos daily of Americans just not complying and kicking up a major stink about it. The American public seem to be responding to this worse than any other country, or at the very least they are being the loudest about it.

Where I am, south west England - gammon country, mask wearing was pretty infrequent when it was first mandated, but it's gradually increased. I rarely see anyone not wearing one in shops now. Even the people that don't have a mask with them still make a feeble attempt to cover their mouth and nose with their t shirt or something, which is better than nothing. It's been pleasantly surprising.

But on the flipside, there's still too many people acting like everything is normal in their general behaviour. The missus' parents live in Aberdeen, which is currently locked down due to a spike in cases. If you live there, you're not supposed to be leaving the area. They're ignoring that and coming down to stay next week. Normally they stay at our house, and they fully assumed they would be doing so again, but I said no chance. They're still coming anyway and are staying in a hotel, but her family all seem pissed at me about it. Not that I give a shit. Coming to stay with us, then travelling around the area visiting all their family and friends in different houses, and then coming back to my house sounds like a terrible idea. They don't seem to agree.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Why would they be ”under represented”? That’s not what you’d expect at all, they still continue life just as the rest of society do.
It’s “over representation” that tells you if a job or place of work is a significant risk.
In countries who didn't hugely lock down it could well be that people who work in places where infection was allegedly far less likely, the place they spend half their waking hours, would be exepected to be under-represented in the data. If not we need an explanation.

In countries who didn't hugely lock down it could well be that people who work in places where infection was allegedly far less likely, the place they spend half their waking hours, would be exepected to be under-represented in the data. If not we need an explanation.
That makes zero sense, teachers have partners and family that have other jobs. People they are in close proximity to at home and in bed. Parents have other jobs.
They all go to bars, restaurants, shops etc.
Expecting under representation in teachers and parents is utterly incorrect.

Last edited:
A free for all under a certain metric could do a lot of damage.
I call bullshit on that too. That’s only true for the likes of Norway, NZ and Finland etc. Not for countries that have widespread community transmission.
It was true in February.

We’ve never closed a single border here, or anything besides large events and gatherings over 50, and we’ve reported just 2.5 deaths per day in the past 2 weeks, we have just 29 in ICU in the entire country. Sweden has been a holiday spot beyond the norm since April for people searching for a bit more freedom.

The cat is out of the bag in the UK, closing borders aint gonna make any difference long term, just like it isn’t here.

I’ll just add that I’ve thought much of the past 6 months was inevitable since the start, and it’s inevitable now that we’ll see increased cases, the trick is still as it was then, keeping it away from the risk groups. All of my posts on this include the inevitability factor, and after seeing what is happening in Aus, Isreal, post lockdown countries, it’s a real head feck for me that more people aren’t coming to terms with this.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I call bullshit on that too. That’s only true for the likes of Norway, NZ and Finland etc. Not for countries that have widespread community transmission.

We’ve never closed a single border, we’ve reported just and have just 29 in ICU in entire country. Sweden has been a holiday spot beyond the norm since April for people searching fora bit more freedom.

The cat is out of the bag in the UK, closing borders aint gonna make any difference long term.
Good for your economy

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Croatia - biggest number since the start today (180). Worth noting that just last weekend around 400 thousands tourists went across the border and currently we have double that number in the country.

Also worth noting that no one gives a feck much about social distancing from what I can see (that is fully on our government). In combination, it doesn't look good at all. Basically, we gave up from strict measures because of our tourism and trying to save it for this year.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
299 workers test positive at a sandwich factory in Northampton.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-53762233
State of that, the green core statement person basically saying "it's feck all to do with us, it's them being twats outside of work, we have measures in place at work which are clearly overlooked as long as we get our sarnies out the door. We are going to continue running as usual because we're greedy feckers who don't give a feck about our staff, we can replace them."

redshaw

"Mrs Wightman said Greencore had "highly effective measures in place and they continue to work extremely hard to exceed the requirements needed to be Covid-19 secure within the workplace".

Obviously not.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
"Mrs Wightman said Greencore had "highly effective measures in place and they continue to work extremely hard to exceed the requirements needed to be Covid-19 secure within the workplace".

Obviously not.
She forgot to mention the company is extremely proud of its Covid-secure measures. I blame the weather for that.

redshaw

Regarding yesterdays deaths of 77, they now have the number from testing positive within the last 28 days.

That's a huge difference, just 20. This is how Scotland Wales and NI record their deaths but in England it's a covid death if someone tested positive this year and died of any cause. BBC actually used the example of a car crash. I doubt other countries are counting this way.

I didn't think it would be that big, maybe 10-20 less. This is the issue with people doing deaths per million at this stage with current daily weekly numbers.

How are other large European countries counting?
Says who? The whole idea of comparing cases between countries is nonsense. Is every country following the same guidelines, Testing as many, testing in the right areas etc.
UK is lagging behind still in deaths per million, plenty behind Sweden and France so who really has more cases?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...e?time=2020-02-09..latest&country=FRA~SWE~GBR

The answer is that no-one knows.
Then why do you keep going on about stats and comparing. Not only is England's current deaths heavily inflated, there's also factors of poorer health, obesity.

Sweden has a lot of cases for a country of 10 million, that should be the end of it an your answer as to why Sweden is on the list.

As you posted, the UK has had worse stats than Sweden since the start, and even after that lockdown they still have worse stats. In the past 14 days we have reported 44 deaths in total, an average of 3.14 deaths per day. (the confirmed day of deaths total is actually 1 death per day average in past 14 days). So even now the UK has worse stats, even per million, and yet I'm red lighted from taking a visit home. It's utter bollocks.

If my family was in Finland or Norway, who have since day 1 had better stats than Sweden and continue to do so, it'd suck balls but I'd understand it. That aint the case though and my family are missing out on seeing my daughter grow up because of this nonsense.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

What a fecking bellend. That neck of the woods rivals the panhandle as a sheer cesspool.