SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Lj82

Apparently more effective than face masks is learning not to touch your face, eyes, nose, mouth with your hands. That's me fecked, I'm permanently chewing my nails, picking my nose, straightening my glasses, I don't think I can stop it.

As for face masks, a Japanese person I know says they wear them when they've got a cold themselves so as not to infect others, rather than wear them to avoid becoming infected. @marukumo will know if that's true.
It's quite well known that this is the case

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yes. And I noticed in/around UCI which has a significant Asian population (nicknamed the University of Chinese Immigrants) tons of people are wearing surgical masks.
This, despite the conventional wisdom, that it’s better to wear them, as the Japanese do, when sick.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I ordered 10 surgical masks to Peru from our only choice of supplier - USA.

Sold out few places but got them from a weight loss shop on Amazon.

Yep, they would definitely be effective for that too.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Supposedly Paddington station cordoned off due to another case. Anybody from London want to confirm?

Didn't realise that happened yesterday. Never mind.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It has slipped me why this virus has been getting so much attention. I realise it may be some new virus but is it really as deadly as they make it seem?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It has slipped me why this virus has been getting so much attention. I realise it may be some new virus but is it really as deadly as they make it seem?
Well they are saying a mortality rate of 2%... And in truth it could be lower than that as many people might get symptoms so mild they don't report and get captured in the statistics.
Equally if it's super contageous and half the world's 7.7 billion population catch it at 2% mortality that would be 77million deaths which is more than the UK population and more than died in the Spanish flu... If it's not that contageous then yeah perhaps a couple of thousand deaths worldwide
For comparison I think the who estimates about half a million deaths per year from normal flu

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Wish the lazy workers in Europe had even an ounce of this dedication.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
We have a cruise ship off the coast of Japan with 7 people with the virus. The other 2,000 must be shitting themselves.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
There are benefits to all this, at my children's school here in Phnom Penh, most parents have withdrawn their children so my kids only have 8 and 9 people in their class respectively. Also I had to fly to Indonesia last week, I had a mild cold, I sneezed and suddenly had three seats all to myself .... winning!

Raw

I have a flight to Japan in late March that stops in Shanghai for a few hours. Darn it I hope things'll be okay by then.

Excerpt from an open letter written by one of the senior doctors in Hong Kong on the use of masks:

1. The most important thing a person can do to prevent getting coronavirus is to wash their hands regularly and avoid touching their face.

2. Coronavirus is not something that comes in through the skin. This virus is remitted through large droplets that are breathed deep into a person’s lungs.

3. Receptors for coronavirus are found deep in a person’s lungs. A person must inhale enough of the virus that it can actually bind to those receptors deep in the lungs.

4. Coronavirus is not airborne. The virus is transmitted through larger droplets that fall quickly out of the air — after a sneeze, for example.

5. Coronavirus is not something that people can get from casual contact. A person must be in close proximity (within two metres) with somebody to be able to inhale those droplets if a person coughs or sneezes in front of them without covering up.

8. Masks should be used by sick people to prevent transmission to other people. A mask will help keep a person’s droplets in.

9. It may be less effective to wear a mask in the community when a person is not sick themselves. Masks may give a person a false sense of security and are likely to increase the number of times a person will touch their own face to adjust the mask or for other reasons.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I have a flight to Japan in late March that stops in Shanghai for a few hours. Darn it I hope things'll be okay by then.
I'd start making funeral arrangements right now. Make sure there's enough space at your local cemetery.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Excerpt from an open letter written by one of the senior doctors in Hong Kong on the use of masks:
That makes it sound hard to catch but the numbers and speed of spread suggest otherwise.

I've got 4 boxes of product here from Jiangsu, China, from a company that has been closed for two weeks in precaution of the virus (I don't know if this is due to a case of the virus in the workforce or not). I am actually a little concerned about opening the boxes. I need what's inside to complete some client work needed this week.

My colleague and I have decided to PPE up and treat the boxes and the contents carefully. Are we being daft?

That makes it sound hard to catch but the numbers and speed of spread suggest otherwise.

I've got 4 boxes of product here from Jiangsu, China, from a company that has been closed for two weeks in precaution of the virus (I don't know if this is due to a case of the virus in the workforce or not). I am actually a little concerned about opening the boxes. I need what's inside to complete some client work needed this week.

My colleague and I have decided to PPE up and treat the boxes and the contents carefully. Are we being daft?
You can read the whole thing here:

https://www.hkss.info/post/corona-virus-updates-2-february-2020

More relevant bits:

6. The droplets can fall to the ground after a sneeze and a person can touch them with their hands. The risk of transmission is low in this case, as those droplets must be of significant enough quantity to make it to the receptors in a person’s lungs.

7. If a person has touched something that has droplets on it with coronavirus in it, as long as they clean their hands before touching their face or your mouth, they are not at risk of getting that virus in their body.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sounds like with simple quarantining this Virus will be dealth with fairly easily. The biggest risk to humans, as usual is humans.

Revaulx

Do you remember Bass Charrington?
Brew Ten :eek:

They bought loads of decent breweries in the North West, closed them all down and concentrated production in a new "super brewery" alongside the M56 in Runcorn.

On the rare occasions it wasn't on strike, it churned out the vilest stuff imaginable. Cow urine? Luxury!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Brew Ten :eek:

They bought loads of decent breweries in the North West, closed them all down and concentrated production in a new "super brewery" alongside the M56 in Runcorn.

On the rare occasions it wasn't on strike, it churned out the vilest stuff imaginable. Cow urine? Luxury!
At one point Charry Bass had a choce of three bitters, Brew 10, Stones, or Worthinton E, each one more revolting than the next. Yet I still downed shedloads!.

Revaulx

Stones probably the best of the three, though that's not a great achievement. Seeing the former Stones brewery in its current derelict state in Sheffield is still rather sad.

The beers from their Midlands breweries (Bass in Burton, M&B in Smethwick and Highgate in Walsall) were far better. Highgate Dark Mild was a particularly tragic loss.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sounds like with simple quarantining this Virus will be dealth with fairly easily. The biggest risk to humans, as usual is humans.
Yeah but the problem is when the virus hits less developed countries or countries (the African countries, large populations in India, Pakistan and Asia) without the knowledge or resources to quarantine this virus spreads incredibly quickly. Also the more it spreads the more chance that it will mutate.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I feel a thing coming on. Scratchy throat, bit of a headache, eyes watery. The only human contact I had was at badminton on Sunday where there were many Chinese.

Will a snort of First Defence save me?

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
I feel a thing coming on. Scratchy throat, bit of a headache, eyes watery. The only human contact I had was at badminton on Sunday where there were many Chinese.

Will a snort of First Defence save me?
Thank you for the heads up.
Now I can get my application ready for the upcoming free spot on the Red Cafe Staff.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Grim. Being brought into this room would traumatise me.