SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Because they should care about the safety of their staff?
Most shops are having to consider the safety of their margins. Turning people away is the last thing any of them want to do. Putting responsibility on the state is just convenient

F-Red

Noticed a big increase in new cases for oldham. 10-20 per day now at the moment coming through...
Towns with significant BAME communities like Oldham (Leicester, Blackburn, Rochdale) do seem to be struggling with infection rates and correlates strongly with the disproportionately high infection risk within these groups.

Keefy18

No one is against wearing a mask, I think everyone is in agreement that masks are the best things to wear currently. The point is around the enforcing of it, should be down to the police, and not retail staff.
Ugh, yeah they are.

Sadly.

hmchan

No one is against wearing a mask (EDIT: in this thread), I think everyone is in agreement that masks are the best things to wear currently. The point is around the enforcing of it, should be down to the police, and not retail staff.
Actually it should be down to the people's own conscious and self-disciplinary. In Hong Kong 99% of us wear a mask without any law enforcing it, but unfortunately there are always some selfish blokes......

redshaw

Everyone was wearing a mask inside the large supermarket today but while there were still plenty of people in it was quieter and I noticed no-one was queuing up in the trolley lane outside. Every time I've been there for 5 months there was a long queue outside in the trolley lane so less people were inclined to go.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Covid positive test hotspots (cases per 100k population) in England - data for week ending 19th July:
Blackburn with Darwen - 78.6 cases
Leicester - 72.6 cases
Rochdale - 46.8 cases
Bradford - 40.4 cases
Luton - 29 cases
Kirklees - 28.5 cases
Herefordshire - 23.9 cases
Rotherham - 22.7 cases
Sandwell - 22 cases
Calderdale - 20.9 cases

Greater Manchester still has Rochdale in that list, but Oldham's numbers are now improving.

djembatheking

You don`t have to wear a mask in shops in Wales and since tourists are now allowed back the shops here are full of people unmasked from all over the UK . It is fine when folk are on beaches or half way up Snowdon but all the small garages and Spar shops are packed with people breathing all over each other then going home to the far flung corners to pass anything on they have picked up on holiday. It makes no sense whatsoever . I had to nip in to the hospital last week to pick something up and was shocked to see people walking about unmasked in the hospital .

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Well I'm guessing based on your theory you wouldn't be ok, seeing as the hiked up t-shirt wouldn't be secure over the mouth. It's easier just to wear a mask.
I have a mask and a Bandana, I'll be fine!

As long as the nose and mouth is covered then you can't be fined.

Seems like most people are following the rules, had my hair cut yesterday, that was an experience!!

Carolina Red

Staff

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Lots of people in Tesco earlier maskless, including some of the staff.
All the customers in masks in Preston Morrisons just now, a hundred percent, staff half and half. Everyone politely giving way to everyone else with their trolleys and saying thank you a lot. Maybe people are wary of each other when they can't see their expressions, or just trying to figure out how to behave in a new situation, I don't know. I don't suppose it will last but quite pleasant while it does, it makes things nicer at the moment anyway.

redshaw

UK 61 deaths and 767 cases.

Bit on the high side for cases still. We should be considered to be on others quarantine lists.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
All the customers in masks in Preston Morrisons just now, a hundred percent, staff half and half. Everyone politely giving way to everyone else with their trolleys and saying thank you a lot. Maybe people are wary of each other when they can't see their expressions, or just trying to figure out how to behave in a new situation, I don't know. I don't suppose it will last but quite pleasant while it does, it makes things nicer at the moment anyway.
I’ve had to keep reminding myself that people can’t see a friendly smile behind the mask so being more verbal makes sense.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Just back from Lidl. Every single customer wearing masks. Every single staff member wearing masks, except one. The one person not wearing a mask was the staff member who was on the only open till :houllier:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve had to keep reminding myself that people can’t see a friendly smile behind the mask so being more verbal makes sense.
I did the weirdest thing because of this. I realised they couldn’t see my smile but wanted to convey it so I kinda nodded and then realised it wasn’t quite the right action so rectified it by shaking my head. Then walked away blushing but that didn’t matter because nobody could see it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just back from Lidl. Every single customer wearing masks. Every single staff member wearing masks, except one. The one person not wearing a mask was the staff member who was on the only open till :houllier:
I too went to a Lidl and everyone was wearing a face covering.
And that included all of the staff.
I mentioned it to one and was told that it is their policy for all staff to wear one to align staff with shoppers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, arriving in Spain yesterday was a miscalculation.
Heh. A friend of mine is flying back to London from Ibiza tomorrow. D’oh! I’m always up for a bit of schadenfruede so was looking to find guidance online about what 14 days quarantine actually means. And how it will be enforced. Can’t find anything. Has the UK govt published any guidance on this anywhere?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Heh. A friend of mine is flying back to London from Ibiza tomorrow. D’oh! I’m always up for a bit of schadenfruede so was looking to find guidance online about what 14 days quarantine actually means. And how it will be enforced. Can’t find anything. Has the UK govt published any guidance on this anywhere?
I think it will be announced officially soon as the newspapers are saying it comes into effect from midnight. I guess it will be the same as before, take addresses at airport and keep tabs. My work will be pleased!

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I too went to a Lidl and everyone was wearing a face covering.
And that included all of the staff.
I mentioned it to one and was told that it is their policy for all staff to wear one to align staff with shoppers.
Good shop Lidl. My preference of supermarket at the moment

decorativeed

What's the reasoning behind Asda and Sainsbury's not enforcing mask wearing? I mean the real reason, the one that's hidden behind their "it's up to the police to enforce" excuse.
Obviously because they don't want their staff to have to get into arguments and altercations with dickheads. People that work in supermarkets aren't paid enough for that.

decorativeed

My only criticism is the longish ques at the check outs.
Apart from that, they are good.
And no self service. Seems like an obvious flaw for someone to touch every single thing I'm buying, and be touching things handled by hundreds of different people both before and after that.