SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fingeredmouse

Or do I just disagree with using that as a source & by default I don't understand?
I have no interest in derailing this as a thread but that fact you state that 0.003% of the population is not a representative sample is a display of a lack of understanding of population statistics. It's pretty much bang on the nose for a population in the mid 60 millions.

You can disagree with the concept of surveys if you wish but, assuming they didn't feck their demographics, the maths are objectively good. Or, if you rather, representative.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
My friend got tested today so if positive I'll isolate for 14 days, I'm trying to work out how best to do that in a house of four people. Good luck to you, let us know how you go on.
Wouldn't it make more sense to get tested and isolate while waiting for the verdict?

decorativeed

The thinking is that it’s spreading in pubs, that’s what they were saying about Trafford anyway.
Yeah, I'm not suggesting it's spreading in shops, just that it's evident that it's that demographic who aren't taking it seriously by my experience in shops. Not been to a pub since early March.

Sparky Rhiwabon

According to my daughter one of the pubs (pub / club) by us that attracts a lot of youngsters was heaving this weekend, like shoulder to shoulder sardine stuff. (UK)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is it really that shocking?

Unless you're in an at-risk group why would anyone want to be first in line for a minimally-tested vaccine?
Nothing in the survey about being first in line, nor is there any evidence that if a vaccine ever becomes available it will have been “minimally tested” (other than nonsense disseminated by anti-vaxxers) They were just asked if they would accept a vaccine if/when one became available. To be honest, I’m not too fussed. Our gene pool will be better off without them.

Fingeredmouse

Is it really that shocking?

Unless you're in an at-risk group why would anyone want to be first in line for a minimally-tested vaccine?
You're adding lots of criteria here. Nowhere does it say first in line for a minimally tested vaccine. Clearly any vaccine released for mass inoculation would be tested properly.

So, yes, it's hugely shocking.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I have no interest in derailing this as a thread but that fact you state that 0.003% of the population is not a representative sample is a display of a lack of understanding of population statistics. It's pretty much bang on the nose for a population in the mid 60 millions.

You can disagree with the concept of surveys if you wish but, assuming they didn't feck their demographics, the maths are objectively good. Or, if you rather, representative.
The people who carried out this so-called survey didn't ask me or my family so it's a load of rubbish.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lloried-world-refusing-lock-having-laugh.html

Another one, refreshing to see multiple media sources starting to change their narrative.

This part was almost funny:

“But Prof Franks pointed out that, according to the Imperial College model that sparked Britain’s sudden lockdown, Sweden should have seen between 42,000 and 85,000 deaths.”

Surely Neil Ferguson must go down as the worst mathematical model creator in history? From day one the experts over here questioned why anyone was listening to it as it had some utterly ridiculous parameters in there.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Two articles by the daily mail and telegraph, both of whom have been pro BAU and pro economy since the beginning of the pandemic, hardly critical analysis.
Fair enough. Although any article that sheds light on that dogshit imperial model which Neil himself obviously didn’t believe in is brilliant.
Publishing that model without any peer review was deplorable.
Stupid feck doubled down on those “Sweden will lose 40,000+ etc lives if they don’t lock down” bollocks even after his public shaming, and after we’d clearly reached peak here weeks earlier.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I can only believe that some posters in this thread are receiving sponsors and incentives from their governments to infiltrate the fan base of the largest supported club in the world and spin their narrative at this point.

There is no other explanation :D

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lloried-world-refusing-lock-having-laugh.html

Another one, refreshing to see multiple media sources starting to change their narrative.

This part was almost funny:

“But Prof Franks pointed out that, according to the Imperial College model that sparked Britain’s sudden lockdown, Sweden should have seen between 42,000 and 85,000 deaths.”

Surely Neil Ferguson must go down as the worst mathematical model creator in history? From day one the experts over here questioned why anyone was listening to it as it had some utterly ridiculous parameters in there.
The bit you find funny was modelling the likely outcomes of life carrying on as normal. Considering you’ve been at pains to remind everyone that people in Sweden have had to make a hell of a lot of changes to their behaviour since the virus hit, you must surely appreciate why that worst case scenario was avoided?

The whole article tells us little that is of any use anyway. It’s clearly politically motivated. Jumping to the same assumptions about long term outcomes that you keep telling us to avoid whenever Sweden’s death toll until now is discussed.

I, for one, could certainly do without reading any more interviews with Tegnell talking about Swedish herd immunity - without a shred of evidence that this is anywhere near to happening. Puff pieces like this need to show us their evidence, or shut the feck up.

EDIT. Although it’s not a total waste of time, thanks to the magnificent bewbz of the wife of Hans Isoz

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Wouldn't it make more sense to get tested and isolate while waiting for the verdict?
Well the person being tested has no symptoms, they have just been in contact with someone that has tested positive, whereas I have been in contact with someone who has been in contact, if that makes sense. The NHS guideline to me is only to take a test if I develop symptoms, rightly or wrongly.

hobbers

Nothing in the survey about being first in line, nor is there any evidence that if a vaccine ever becomes available it will have been “minimally tested” (other than nonsense disseminated by anti-vaxxers) They were just asked if they would accept a vaccine if/when one became available. To be honest, I’m not too fussed. Our gene pool will be better off without them.
You're adding lots of criteria here. Nowhere does it say first in line for a minimally tested vaccine. Clearly any vaccine released for mass inoculation would be tested properly.

So, yes, it's hugely shocking.
Hard to say how the questions were worded because the links in the article helpfully just go to another article about Lewis Hamilton rather than the actual study. But the way I read it was sort of presuming that people asked that question might think they're being asked that if a vaccine was suddenly made available, would they go straight out and get it immediately.

It seems a bit of a silly question to ask unless you stipulate something like 'when a vaccine is widely available, having been tested as far as possible in the time frame, would you be open to receiving it'? I'm sure plenty of young people have the attitude that any coronavirus vaccine will be going to the elderly and people with risk factors first before they're in line to get it.

Fingeredmouse

Hard to say how the questions were worded because the links in the article helpfully just go to another article about Lewis Hamilton rather than the actual study. But the way I read it was sort of presuming that people asked that question might think they're being asked that if a vaccine was suddenly made available, would they go straight out and get it immediately.

It seems a bit of a silly question to ask unless you stipulate something like 'when a vaccine is widely available, having been tested as far as possible in the time frame, would you be open to receiving it'? I'm sure plenty of young people have the attitude that any coronavirus vaccine will be going to the elderly and people with risk factors first before they're in line to get it.
The actual study is publicly available online.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/whos-most-likely-to-refuse-a-covid-19-vaccine

Fingeredmouse

I'm not anti-vax but there won't be any knowledge of long-term effects of the vaccine once/if it's rolled out. It's also (understandably) going to be pushed into service as quickly as possible
As quickly as possible after stringent testing, yes.
I'm not sure what you really mean by long term effects. Is there any history if any vaccine having long term delayed negative effects? Most likely issue is a serious reaction in close proximity to the time of the injection in a small minority of subjects which is precisely what they conduct tests to identify.

hobbers

Looking at the full data I'd be pretty happy with those numbers if I were a government science advisor. 73% definitely/very likely/likely to get the vaccine to 16% definitely not/very likely not. Given that there's obviously been no vaccine information campaign or promotion because it doesn't yet exist.

Bearing in mind (over) half the population are idiots. I don't know the numbers on conspiracy theory popularity but I'd think more than 16% of the population would still typically respond as being skeptical about the MMR vaccine, or believing that 5G could give people cancer.

Last edited:

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
These are just startup costs which could possibly be offset in the long run, just like setting up a new office. Besides, if companies decide to implement working from home permanently, they could also provide the screens and chairs to their employees with their current ones.

I'm not sure about the situation in the west but in Hong Kong, the cost of running a office is pretty high as the rent is incredible.
my company has shut our office and converted us all to remote working

The bit you find funny was modelling the likely outcomes of life carrying on as normal. Considering you’ve been at pains to remind everyone that people in Sweden have had to make a hell of a lot of changes to their behaviour since the virus hit, you must surely appreciate why that worst case scenario was avoided?
No Pogue, the 40,000 prediction was based on Sweden’s strategy, not life carrying on as normal. “Suppression” as they call it.

Edit: I’ve heard lots of issues from Uppsala and Edinburgh amongst other of replicating that model. But I should leave that there on second thinking, as I have no clue in honesty regarding that part of it. Nature did at least confirm the coding part (whilst slated) could be replicated.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Looking at the full data I'd be pretty happy with those numbers if I were a government science advisor. 73% defnitely/very likely/likely to get the vaccine to 16% definitely not/very likely not. Given that there's obviously been no vaccine information campaign or promotion because it doesn't yet exist.

Bearing in mind (over) half the population are idiots. I don't know the numbers on conspiracy theory popularity but I'd think more than 16% of the population would still typically respond as being skeptical about the MMR vaccine, or believing that 5G could give people cancer.
yup, it's 12% to be worried about and a quarter of them claim to have had the virus already. and the questin did not go into specifics about a tested vaccine, many people may not know that released vaccine necessarily means that.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This is what I mean though. If your goal is total eradication within your country and then shutting yourself off from every country that hasn't done the same, then there are about 180 world leaders that are total donkeys. Even some countries that had initial superb success, even if relative, even if surrounded by total incompetence (Greece, Japan etc), are starting to see increases again.
Most world leaders have failed horribly with their approach to the pandemic and continue to do so.

Were many experts calling for a total national/international lockdown in late January/ early February? I don't recall them doing so to be honest. One of our own experts, for reference (Ferguson, who I do respect), has previously predicted potentially huge death figures for bird flu, swine flu and mad cow disease, as have the WHO. It is of course part of their job to look at potential worst case scenarios, though perhaps best to do so surreptitiously. Should we have shut down hard and fast for those diseases as well?
Trump was warned in Jan and even more firmly in Feb of the potential outcome of not acting and presumably that advice originated with experts. And as almost nobody has proper pandemic planning it makes it unlikely that advice was spread as widely as it probably should have been. And maybe we just got lucky before? If there was a proper global pandemic plan/organisation the various factors involved could be properly evaluated in real time. Probably never going to happen as we seem too stupid to survive as a species at times.

Johnson, Trump, Bolsonaro are obviously one end of the extreme (though the former is not the same as the latter two). But it is not these leaders that I am talking about. We're getting trapped in between the Brazil/ NZ approaches. Of course those are not the only 2 approaches and of course, there are almost 200 other countries/territories beyond the same 10 or so we often talk about in this thread, who have had to find their own ways to deal with it. My point is that, outside of some very small, very isolated island states (or Taiwan/Vatican City etc), there are almost no countries which have managed to achieve what you are asking for.

Which might suggest, putting aside the morality of all the approaches, that it is a bit more difficult than you think it might be.
BoJo is more incompetent that the deliberate evil of Trump and Bolsonaro. Not that he seems to give a toss about anyone but himself.

And I don't pretend that it would be easy. Rather the opposite. But we used to try to do difficult things for the greater good and I think we need to use this as a huge warning to prepare us for the next time. Because there is going to be a next time.

Kazi

If France is added to the quarantine list tomorrow, how long before it becomes effective? I’m there Tuesday - Wednesday.

hmchan

Most world leaders have failed horribly with their approach to the pandemic and continue to do so.

Trump was warned in Jan and even more firmly in Feb of the potential outcome of not acting and presumably that advice originated with experts. And as almost nobody has proper pandemic planning it makes it unlikely that advice was spread as widely as it probably should have been. And maybe we just got lucky before? If there was a proper global pandemic plan/organisation the various factors involved could be properly evaluated in real time. Probably never going to happen as we seem too stupid to survive as a species at times.

BoJo is more incompetent that the deliberate evil of Trump and Bolsonaro. Not that he seems to give a toss about anyone but himself.

And I don't pretend that it would be easy. Rather the opposite. But we used to try to do difficult things for the greater good and I think we need to use this as a huge warning to prepare us for the next time. Because there is going to be a next time.
Many countries are actually adopting undeclared herd immunity. They don't say it just because they don't want to be criticized like the UK. Whether it works we'll wait and see.

hmchan

Looking at the full data I'd be pretty happy with those numbers if I were a government science advisor. 73% definitely/very likely/likely to get the vaccine to 16% definitely not/very likely not. Given that there's obviously been no vaccine information campaign or promotion because it doesn't yet exist.

It's funny if the mRNA vaccine developed by the Moderna wins the race eventually. It has never been approved for human use and now people have no concern about its safety while they remain skeptical to traditional vaccines like MMR.

Carolina Red

Staff
“...studies show that kids are actually stoppers of the disease and they don’t get it and transmit it themselves...”
- Betsy DeVos, US Secretary of Education

“...they are almost immune...“
- Donald Trump, POTUS

“But daycares have stayed open and nobody has caught it!”
- Every American pushing for a full reopening of schools

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
“Children are Covid stoppers.”
- Betsy DeVos, US Secretary of Education

“...they are almost immune...“
- Donald Trump, POTUS

“But daycares have stayed open and nobody has caught it!”
- Every American pushing for a full reopening of schools

That’s a fairly loose definition of “children”. In Alabama that included anyone < 24 years old (WTF?!) As far as I can work out there does seem to be a big difference between how this virus interacts with young vs old children. You’d expect teenagers to be affected in the same way as young adults (because that’s basically what they are) but pre-school and primary school age kids might be affected very differently. So I don’t think it’s helpful when they’re all lumped in together in headlines like this.

Carolina Red

Staff
That’s a fairly loose definition of “children”. In Alabama that included anyone < 24 years old (WTF?!) As far as I can work out there does seem to be a big difference between how this virus interacts with young vs old children. You’d expect teenagers to be affected in the same way as young adults (because that’s basically what they are) but pre-school and primary school age kids might be affected very differently. So I don’t think it’s helpful when they’re all lumped in together in headlines like this.
The point, to me, isn’t what it is going to do to the “children“... it’s what it is going to do to the teachers, professors, lunch workers, janitors, administrators, etc. that are going to be forced to come into contact with them by the push to fully reopen education facilities.

And Alabama likely defines children as “up to 24” for college football purposes.

Santos J

If France is added to the quarantine list tomorrow, how long before it becomes effective? I’m there Tuesday - Wednesday.
I'd imagine midnight the day it's announced. Think when Spain was added this was the case so people there had about 3 hours notice.