SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But it's a true statement. And by they I wasn't specifically referring to the HSE but everyone involved. Not sure what the issue is.
I just see it as an absolvement of personal responsibility. “They” need to fix this. If it goes south then it’s “their” fault. The way I see it, “we” need to get our shit together. If we don’t then the likes of the HSE are powerless to stop either a) hospitals getting overwhelmed or b) another widespread lockdown.

I obviously hope this doesn’t happen but it’s not looking good. Far too many wannabe experts on social media telling everyone we’ll be fine because deaths are down and that’s all that matters.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Haven’t the UK, Ireland and a host of other countries been on a gradual upwards curve since just a few weeks post lockdown?
This just feels like exactly what we knew was coming.
That curve doesn’t look very gradual to me.

And that’s in the context of weather getting colder, people spending more time indoors and other seasonal viruses in the mix. Squeaky bum time for the next few weeks, that’s for sure.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And that’s in the context of weather getting colder, people spending more time indoors and other seasonal viruses in the mix. Squeaky bum time for the next few weeks, that’s for sure.
Hasn't been that cold in past few weeks!!

According to that graph, current new cases is as many as when UK was in total panic and initiated lockdown in March. And yet there doesn't seem to be anywhere close to that level of panic in society right now ....

What do you expect October onwards, when it really starts to get uncomfortable to be outside in UK for long?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

According to that graph, current new cases is as many as when UK was in total panic and initiated lockdown in March. And yet there doesn't seem to be anywhere close to that level of panic in society right now ....

What do you expect October onwards, when it really starts to get uncomfortable to be outside in UK for long?
It’s not colder now but it will be soon. That’s why it’s so worrying to see cases already on the up and up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not now, I meant it’s been gradually moving up since lockdown. What is possibly happening now is what we saw in France, it gradually gets to a certain level and then starts jumping up.
Yeah, it’s been very gradually becoming exponential. And looks like we’re hitting a tipping point at the worst possible time. We’re not going to see the same horrendous death toll we saw with the first wave (I hope!) but life could get very shit for a lot of people over the next few months. I know I wouldn’t want to be working in a hospital this winter, that’s for damn sure.

hobbers

You'd hope with the second wave probably being driven by younger people than it was first time around, it won't be as bad in terms of hospital admissions and deaths.

But still, sucks to see an exponential peak before the cold weather has even hit.

F-Red

It's difficult to bring absolute case comparisons between now and what we saw in March. A large majority of the cases were found in pillar one (hospitals) testing and community testing wasn't even happening, now we're at position where we've got significantly more cases being found in pillar two testing and a reduction in hospital admissions compared to March. Most cases reported in March unfortunately was resulting in hospitalisation and death.

You could argue that there was a much more significant case number back in March that simply wasn't discovered/reported due to a lack of community testing and that the case number could be huge, it'd have changed the graphs of cases we see & this recent increase would be a minor bump in comparison. I think the lack of panic is due to the hospital admission status, and society getting back to some form of normality, and dealing with a pandemic.

The worrying part is the delay in the testing labs, care homes are saying tests are coming back in 7 days (instead of 72hrs) and Pillar 2 testing is coming back on average of 3.5 days (an increase of .5 of a day in the last 2 weeks alone).

Current average in the UK is 23 cases by 100,000 people, I'd expect to see countries impose restrictions on UK flights coming into their countries soon.

It's difficult to bring absolute case comparisons between now and what we saw in March. A large majority of the cases were found in pillar one (hospitals) testing and community testing wasn't even happening, now we're at position where we've got significantly more cases being found in pillar two testing and a reduction in hospital admissions compared to March. Most cases reported in March unfortunately was resulting in hospitalisation and death.

You could argue that there was a much more significant case number back in March that simply wasn't discovered/reported due to a lack of community testing and that the case number could be huge, it'd have changed the graphs of cases we see & this recent increase would be a minor bump in comparison. I think the lack of panic is due to the hospital admission status, and society getting back to some form of normality, and dealing with a pandemic.

The worrying part is the delay in the testing labs, care homes are saying tests are coming back in 7 days (instead of 72hrs) and Pillar 2 testing is coming back on average of 3.5 days (an increase of .5 of a day in the last 2 weeks alone).

Current average in the UK is 23 cases by 100,000 people, I'd expect to see countries impose restrictions on UK flights coming into their countries soon.
Good post but the UK average is 34.56 cases per 100,000 in past 14 days according to the ecdc, and rising.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Thanks for explaining.

In other news, just read this:
  1. India records its highest daily deaths in more than a month - 1,133 people in 24 hours

lynchie

Got to remember that cases were maybe 10 times as many as that graph shows back in March/April, so it's not a fair comparison.

Fluctuation0161

How did you come to that conclusion?
Due to high taxes on cigarettes they bring in about £12billion per year.

I'm not one to defend the tobacco industry, the industry is a disgrace, but you questioning if smokers should receive medical care funded by tax payers is ridiculous. As was your whole analogy tbh.

Squeaky Bumtime

Due to high taxes on cigarettes they bring in about £12billion per year.

I'm not one to defend the tobacco industry, the industry is a disgrace, but you questioning if smokers should receive medical care funded by tax payers is ridiculous. As was your whole analogy tbh.
Ah yes, when you put it that way its true. To say that about medical care was a bit daft tbh.
As for covid Im aware it doesn't work that way nor it shouldn't, I'm just amazed how many people think virus actually doesn't exist.

F-Red

Social gatherings of more than 6 (indoors or outdoors) are to be made illegal from Monday in England. Won't apply to schools, workplaces, covid-secure weddings, funerals & team sports. Households and support bubbles bigger than six are exempt.

Social gatherings of more than 6 (indoors or outdoors) are to be made illegal from Monday in England. Won't apply to schools, workplaces, covid-secure weddings, funerals & team sports. Households and support bubbles bigger than six are exempt.
Illegal? As in, written into law? The feck!

UK still leading the way with the most inconsistent, bizarre, ever changing, nonsensical set of Covid-19 restrictions in the World.

F-Red

Illegal? As in, written into law? The feck!
Yep, supposed to give police a clear definition and rules to operate within. Boris is due to announce these tomorrow at a press conference. It would suggest the data for the rest of the week isn't going to look particularly good.

Yep, supposed to give police a clear definition and rules to operate within. Boris is due to announce these tomorrow at a press conference. It would suggest the data for the rest of the week isn't going to look particularly good.
My fecking God, so glad I don’t live back home. It truly is the blind leading the blind. Confusion reigns.
Attempting to be a Nanny state and doing a fecking terrible job of it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
So pubs and restaurants are closing again?

F-Red

So pubs and restaurants are closing again?
I imagine not, I think they will be put down to covid secure status venues. I think the parameters for the police will enforce that part.

What’s a “support bubble”?
Basically someone living on their own can join with another household to form a support bubble to interact/engage with.

F-Red

I don't get this whole 'Oh, we'll do it from Monday approach'. What's that in aid of? If they're worried, and it's urgent, have it start sooner surely? :houllier:
Johnson's whole disastrous approach throughout this is giving people notice, they slip nuggets of information to the press the night before the press conference. If they introduce this instantly the backlash would be greater. Interestingly Chris Whitty did say a month back that when schools open, that something would have to give in order to keep the R rate under control.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Sounds like more than 6 people can be in a pub, but not more than 6 people who know each other.

“simplified” says Bozzer :lol:
:lol: what could possibly go wrong. We truly are governed by imbeciles.

I don't get this whole 'Oh, we'll do it from Monday approach'. What's that in aid of? If they're worried, and it's urgent, have it start sooner surely? :houllier:
It's very odd. They announce quarantine zones for countries on social media the night before but we've got another week to wait for this because....

At this stage does anyone genuinely have any confidence that they know what they're doing? Or why? And what are you smoking if you do?

F-Red

At this stage does anyone genuinely have any confidence that they know what they're doing? Or why? And what are you smoking if you do?
They haven't from the start really. However pubs and restaurants will get the minor backlash here, but in order for them open they need to follow guidelines. I'm guessing because they can't control the public's social distancing at home, then this is why they've taken this step. Pubs and restaurants have guidelines to follow, and some form of track and trace. Of the countless number of times I've been to those establishments in the last few months I've had to book, give my contact details, and strictly seating only (all properly distanced).

Feels like the social distancing element is what they don't feel as though they have under control.

littlepeasoup

Johnson's whole disastrous approach throughout this is giving people notice, they slip nuggets of information to the press the night before the press conference. If they introduce this instantly the backlash would be greater. Interestingly Chris Whitty did say a month back that when schools open, that something would have to give in order to keep the R rate under control.
I just think it gives people legroom over the weekend to take the p*ss. Everyone will know the rules change on Monday so there'll undoubtedly be bigger groups of people out and about and more of them, especially if they know it'll be the last time for a while or face a fine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I just think it gives people legroom over the weekend to take the p*ss. Everyone will know the rules change on Monday so there'll undoubtedly be bigger groups of people out and about and more of them, especially if they know it'll be the last time for a while or face a fine.
Which reminds me of the mass weekend on the piss that kicked off the first wave.