SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Drawfull

When the health secretary says "the scientific advise is clear: acting too early creates its own risks," what's he talking about?
I think it is partially because if you for example implement a mass quarantine before the peak of the virus, by the time the peak comes people would be less reluctant to continue to be quarantined. So the timing of any quarantine is critical to its chances of success.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just occurred to me that the Cheltenham races are on this week?! I would’ve thought that would be a prime candidate for being cancelled.
Thats what I thought too.

They had one of the organisers on the news yesterday morning who said “we’ve spoken to the government and they have decided that it’s in the best interest of the health of the country that the event goes ahead”.

I assume he meant “it’s not going to have an impact” but it made me chuckle that he claimed there was any sort of benefit to public health that they are allowed to ride horses around a track while people get drunk, fight and gamble

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Nothing impossible.

The more the delay in executing the required measures, the more draconian the subsequent solutions need to be.
This was my original arguement. React quicker, the economy doesn't decline as much and more lives are saved.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Trump is the only world leader saying "don't worry, it's not that bad." This is a situation where individual freedoms have to be curtailed for the greater good. It's the worst time for the USA to have someone like Trump calling the shots.

Stactix

Milan Malpensa were doing temperature checks at the point they had less cases than the UK and look how well that turned out.
Not talking about temp checks, there was nothing from a qurrantined area.
Surely you'd expect either some questioning, guidance handed out, information form filled out so if someone contracts it contact tracing is easier on others on the same flight...

Smores

Trump is the only world leader saying "don't worry, it's not that bad." This is a situation where individual freedoms have to be curtailed for the greater good. It's the worst time for the USA to have someone like Trump calling the shots.

Twitter is inundated with Republicans posting stuff like the above. The US at this point stands absolutely no chance of containing it if this is their response.

And no doubt when the situation deteriorates Trump will say he wanted to stop it and the dems wouldn't let him and they'll believe that too.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Only 19 and 171 new cases in China and South Korea respectively today - seems like they're having it under control at the moment. In Europe it'll probably get a bit worse before it gets better again.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

Twitter is inundated with Republicans posting stuff like the above. The US at this point stands absolutely no chance of containing it if this is their response.

And no doubt when the situation deteriorates Trump will say he wanted to stop it and the dems wouldn't let him and they'll believe that too.
I find it astonishing that Trump supporters think this is something that's been cooked up to destabilise Trump. Er ... what about what's happening in the rest of the world? I know many of them have no interest whatsoever in the rest of the world because it's not America, but it can't have escaped their notice that this is a world-wide health emergency,

Godfather

And no doubt when the situation deteriorates rTrump will say he wanted to stop it and the dems wouldn't let him and pthey'll believe that too.
Please tell me this is satire (the tweet from the bald feck not your sensible post)

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I find it astonishing that Trump supporters think this is something that's been cooked up to destabilise Trump. Er ... what about what's happening in the rest of the world? I know many of them have no interest whatsoever in the rest of the world because it's not America, but it can't have escaped their notice that this is a world-wide health emergency,
The rest of the world is fake news and all in on it to bring down the great Trump.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The Bobby McFerrin of politics.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Unfortunately he’s not. Iran’s Khamenei:

Smores

I can very much imagine Trump lying about having had coronavirus soon. "They say i had it..didn't feel a thing folk, didn't feel a thing. The doctors say i already the auntie bonies to fight it, how about that."

WPMUFC

Only 19 and 171 new cases in China and South Korea respectively today - seems like they're having it under control at the moment. In Europe it'll probably get a bit worse before it gets better again.
Is anyone reporting that China is trying to fudge the stats again? Anyone credible saying to doubt the numbers? Because I'm not going to downplay the issue, but sometimes a positive story just takes the constant barrage of fear away for a moment. you can't live in panic 24/7 and if true, great to see them getting on top of it. Just from a humanity perspective.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What are the testing protocols in the UK? Are they just testing people who ask, or actively searching those they think are infected?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Got this from Southwest Airlines...they are worried:

Aircraft Cleaning: We spend between 6-7 hours cleaning each aircraft every night, and, as of March 4, 2020, we have enhanced our overnight cleaning procedures. Typically, we use an EPA approved, hospital-grade disinfectant in the lavatories and an interior cleaner in the cabin. Now, we are expanding the use of the hospital-grade disinfectant throughout the aircraft, and it will be used in the cabin, on elements in the flight deck, and in the lavatory. This goes beyond the standard CDC guidelines.

Also, we equip each of our aircraft with a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, which filters out recirculated air onboard each plane to remove airborne particles. HEPA filters are also used in hospitals to provide patients with clean air.

Adamsk7

What are the testing protocols in the UK? Are they just testing people who ask, or actively searching those they think are infected?
Bit of both but they will only test you if you’ve come back from an affected area or have had direct contact with a confirmed carrier. You also have to have symptoms.
I think we could be doing more tests for sure but we’ve certainly done more than any other European country other than Italy who were pretty much forced in to it anyway.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've heard that the testing is sketchy too. Lots of false results. Some people it takes two or three tests to confirm.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Is anyone reporting that China is trying to fudge the stats again? Anyone credible saying to doubt the numbers? Because I'm not going to downplay the issue, but sometimes a positive story just takes the constant barrage of fear away for a moment. you can't live in panic 24/7 and if true, great to see them getting on top of it. Just from a humanity perspective.
No idea. They've closed all 16 or so emergency hospitals in Wuhan as well though, which I'd think they wouldn't have done if the numbers weren't truly going down drastically.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They aren't obviously doing many tests as they should, at least here. But from I read it's the same in other countries around us, they just warn possibly infected people to stay in home isolation without testing most of them.

For example in Macedonia, director of hospital in Skopje got infected in Italy and returned to work, only to test herself few days after and it turns positive. After that they fired here(because she didn't say she was in Italy) and sent all the employers home in self isolations without testing them.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think many people are doubting the reports since they went public. They did feck up at the start though, and had they acted earlier this would've been nipped in the bud. They're making the best of an awful situation though.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Trump is an absolute despicable human being. The fact the US is effectively limiting tests (I know cost and many other factors influence here too but cannot pretend this isn’t happening) to reduce official confirmed cases so that it doesn’t look bad and impact his re-election is just something other worldly.

But if his citizens can’t see this happening, then ... sadly they reap what they sow. A price they may end up paying for ignorantly ignoring the tell tell signs in past events. Sad for the majority of Americans who actually didn’t vote for him but ended up with him as president.

Camilo

Well it's such a tiny amount of people, actively trying to find infected people would be far less effective than just letting us get on with it.

People just need to take responsibility for themselves. It's not the states job.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I've heard that the testing is sketchy too. Lots of false results. Some people it takes two or three tests to confirm.
Logically speaking, I would assume it would be best to get kits from countries that have large sample sizes to provide the best results? China, Korea etc

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well it's such a tiny amount of people, actively trying to find infected people would be far less effective than just letting us get on with it.

People just need to take responsibility for themselves. It's not the states job.

True but that means that the numbers don't mean shit. In fact, they are falsely reassuring.

Skills

Snitch
Logically speaking, I would assume it would be best to get kits from countries that have large sample sizes to provide the best results? China, Korea etc
But will they have the capacity to provide these kits as well meet their own internal needs?

Camilo

True but that means that the numbers don't mean shit. In fact, they are falsely reassuring.
I disagree. It suggests many people who have it aren't bothered enough to go to the doctor, because it's not all that bad. As long as they are responsible and try not spread it to others I don't see a problem. We're all going to get it eventually.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I disagree. It suggests many people who have it aren't bothered enough to go to the doctor, because it's not all that bad. As long as they are responsible and try not spread it to others I don't see a problem. We're all going to get it eventually.

So rely on people not to be stupid? Good luck with that.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Trump is an absolute despicable human being. The fact the US is effectively limiting tests (I know cost and many other factors influence here too but cannot pretend this isn’t happening) to reduce official confirmed cases so that it doesn’t look bad and impact his re-election is just something other worldly.

But if his citizens can’t see this happening, then ... sadly they reap what they sow. A price they may end up paying for ignorantly ignoring the tell tell signs in past events. Sad for the majority of Americans who actually didn’t vote for him but ended up with him as president.
That's not the half of it. Trump refused to use the WHO tests the rest of the world is using and instead allowed a US based pharma company* to develop** and produce*** their own.

*Trump has shares in said company.
**The WHO tests were ready to go, these tests would have to be designed, developed, and trialled before production losing vital time in the battle.
***When they finally made it to production it was amateur hour and vast numbers of them had to be destroyed as they became cross contaminated during production and couldn't have their integrity assured.

Smores

Well the government should be stressing the need to get tested. People need to isolate not just get on with it ffs