SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Feel free to PM me, but I'll reply here for others if they are interested. My daughter was 17 when she caught it, started with a serious chest pain, uncomfortable pins and needles that stop you sleeping at night, headaches, brain fog and fatigue. No breathing issues though. Symptoms would often cycle and you wouldn't get all of them at once. In the summer there were green shots of recovery but it was short lived and all the symptoms are back just as bad except for the chest pain which though still bad is not as excruciating as before.

She had picked up other symptoms too, like loss of smell and taste, etc. Again the symptoms cycle. Went to the hospital in September (cases were very low then so a good time), blood tests, x-ray, etc, done but as expected found nothing. I have spent most of my time on a Long Covid Slack group which I would advise for you to join.

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. It's bad enough to get it in middle age but to affect you in the prime of your life is depressing. Main thing is to reach out to others in your boat, we need to get through this mentally rather than physically, and medical professionals are not currently equipped for that. I've had a few shouting matches with three of my GP footy mates who are still in symptoms denial stages. :)
Have you got a positive test for her yet? I remember you talking about this months ago but she did not get tested. After 8 months i would hope you have had everything else ruled out by now and Covid actually confirmed.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
How`s your breathing? From my understanding that`s the main thing that gets worse after a week of symptoms, apart from that it could be a good sign that it hasn`t gotten worse.

All the best!
Breathing is normal. Are you saying that still gets worse after a week or if it hasn't gotten worse thats a good sign?

Smores

Feel free to PM me, but I'll reply here for others if they are interested. My daughter was 17 when she caught it, started with a serious chest pain, uncomfortable pins and needles that stop you sleeping at night, headaches, brain fog and fatigue. No breathing issues though. Symptoms would often cycle and you wouldn't get all of them at once. In the summer there were green shots of recovery but it was short lived and all the symptoms are back just as bad except for the chest pain which though still bad is not as excruciating as before.

She had picked up other symptoms too, like loss of smell and taste, etc. Again the symptoms cycle. Went to the hospital in September (cases were very low then so a good time), blood tests, x-ray, etc, done but as expected found nothing. I have spent most of my time on a Long Covid Slack group which I would advise for you to join.

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. It's bad enough to get it in middle age but to affect you in the prime of your life is depressing. Main thing is to reach out to others in your boat, we need to get through this mentally rather than physically, and medical professionals are not currently equipped for that. I've had a few shouting matches with three of my GP footy mates who are still in symptoms denial stages. :)
Sorry to hear about your daughter, It doesn't sound far off my own 'CFS/Fibromyalgia' to be honest as i tick all those boxes. I think long covid falls into the same pot of generic labels i.e. feck knows your body is bolloxed here's some drugs.

They probably won't ever know what factors cause long covid so the best thing is to test for curable alternatives first and then work towards treatments. I've known others obsessed with a label but it never satisfies when it arrives.

Hopefully the vaccine stops many many people suffering from these life changing impacts. It's reason enough alone to get the vaccine in my book. For one thing i got mine from a bad flu the one year i didn't get a flu jab.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Breathing is normal. Are you saying that still gets worse after a week or if it hasn't gotten worse thats a good sign?
I`m not an expert and neither a doctor. From what I gathered from a friend of mine who worked with plenty of Covid cases and from what I read is that difficulty to breath is the key difference. After 7-10 days it mostly gets worse for people who get hospitalized (as in, they get hospitalized after 7-10 days of symptoms). If you "only" had flue like symptoms for a week and your breathing is fine I`d be slightly optimistic. Don`t expect a rapid positive change, it takes longer than your normal illness to get back to strength.

Andy_Cole

So my isolation has ended, tested negative again (test was last Thursday).
Today was probably my worst day since last Tuesday. So I’m still feeling the affects. It’s the same symptoms of fatigue and headaches. I wonder how much this is mental but I can’t be sure.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Ah ok. The general principle is that it can take up to 14 days to develop symptoms after infection - more typical is 3-7 days.

The general 14 days advice covers the odd case where it does take that long to get symptoms. But it also helps in the (thought to be more common) situation where you do get it at 4/7 days but are asymptomatic, or have minimal symptoms, but are infective. Some people (mostly travel companies!) suggest that a test at 7 days would be just as safe.

So, I can't give you advice other than try and stick to your local rules, but that's the background reasoning.
I appreciate the reply mate! Thanks!

Maluco

So my isolation has ended, tested negative again (test was last Thursday).
Today was probably my worst day since last Tuesday. So I’m still feeling the affects. It’s the same symptoms of fatigue and headaches. I wonder how much this is mental but I can’t be sure.
Sorry to hear you are still getting symptoms! What were you told about being able to mix with your family again?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Have you got a positive test for her yet? I remember you talking about this months ago but she did not get tested. After 8 months i would hope you have had everything else ruled out by now and Covid actually confirmed.
Testing wasn't really happening back in March unless you had certain symptoms which she didn't (cough, temperature, breathing). She got tested in September in hospital but obviously it was never going to come back positive then. I know for certain it's Covid thanks to the Slack group I mentioned - a Godsend. At some point medical people will catch up with this and then finally take over. Hopefully.

Testing wasn't really happening back in March unless you had certain symptoms which she didn't (cough, temperature, breathing). She got tested in September in hospital but obviously it was never going to come back positive then. I know for certain it's Covid thanks to the Slack group I mentioned - a Godsend. At some point medical people will catch up with this and then finally take over. Hopefully.
You can get an antibody test to see if she has had it in the past. You can't be sure without that, and certainly not based on a diagnosis from an internet chatroom. That's crazy :houllier:

Smores

Poor lass on the UK government briefing had a mare explaining those tests. My missus did one of these a couple of week ago as part of an Oxford study, its much simpler than they explained.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
You can get an antibody test to see if she has had it in the past. You can't be sure without that, and certainly not based on a diagnosis from an internet chatroom. That's crazy :houllier:
Absolutely, I asked but obviously ain't getting that test for free. I should have added, before we were able to isolate my daughter properly my wife caught it off her for a few months. However, she has since thankfully recovered. Still gets an occasional stirring in her chest but very, very mild now. My wife can confirm most of the symptoms my daughter is feeling as she had less extreme versions of all of them. Luckily, myself, my other kids and more importantly my elderly mum managed to avoid getting it from them. Quarantining worked.

The slack group is vast and lots of shared experiences help build a universal picture. Would strongly urge everyone to get on it if they need lots of info/details. More than they'll get on chat sites or from most medical staff who are understandably heavily focused on hospitalised patients only.

Edit: sorry should have added, I'm not interested in getting one of the five anti body tests for a not insignificant amount of money to find out I should probably do one or all of the other for to avoid false positives/negatives. The anti body test is not a be all or end all here.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Starting last Tuesday ive had a headache, cough, fever, and vomiting but not all at the same time. No headache since Thursday, cough only got bad over the weekend, fever on and off etc.

I'm hoping that since I've apparently had this for a week already its not going to get much worse but I don't really know what to expect.
Shit, good luck mate.

Absolutely, I asked but obviously ain't getting that test for free. I should have added, before we were able to isolate my daughter properly my wife caught it off her for a few months. However, she has since thankfully recovered. Still gets an occasional stirring in her chest but very, very mild now. My wife can confirm most of the symptoms my daughter is feeling as she had less extreme versions of all of them. Luckily, myself, my other kids and more importantly my elderly mum managed to avoid getting it from them. Quarantining worked.

The slack group is vast and lots of shared experiences help build a universal picture. Would strongly urge everyone to get on it if they need lots of info/details. More than they'll get on chat sites or from most medical staff who are understandably heavily focused on hospitalised patients only.

Edit: sorry should have added, I'm not interested in getting one of the five anti body tests for a not insignificant amount of money to find out I should probably do one or all of the other for to avoid false positives/negatives. The anti body test is not a be all or end all here.
All I'm saying is that you can't be certain it is Covid without having a positive test of some sort, and if it is not Covid you should find out what it really is. Or at least rule out anything more serious. 8 months is a long time to work off assumptions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m repeating myself here and I don’t want to force unwanted medical advice down anyone’s throat so I’m kind of reluctant to say this but here goes anyway...

To be absolutely clear. YOUR DAUGHTER DOES NOT HAVE A DIAGNOSIS. The reason this matters is because there are other, far more sinister illnesses than covid, which can cause 8 months ill health. And the illnesses you need to rule out can be terminal (unlike long covid) It’s just not good enough to decide this is all down to covid in the absence of any test results to support that diagnosis. No matter how convinced you are by internet chat-rooms.

If you can’t afford the relevant blood tests your GP can order them, paid for by the NHS. You owe it to your daughter to get the bottom of what is making her unwell and you need to engage properly with the healthcare services to get a diagnosis.

I hope she feels better soon. Wishing her all the best. I won’t post about this again.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
All I'm saying is that you can't be certain it is Covid without having a positive test of some sort, and if it is not Covid you should find out what it really is. Or at least rule out anything more serious. 8 months is a long time to work off assumptions.
Agreed, will get a full blood test done via the GP including anti body testing in the next few days/weeks.

Andy_Cole

Sorry to hear you are still getting symptoms! What were you told about being able to mix with your family again?
NHS called me on Friday saying isolation has ended, don’t bother getting tested, you can do what you want. So I took their advice. My test came through negative anyway after their call as I took it before.

From reading it seems symptoms will carry on for a little longer.

Maluco

NHS called me on Friday saying isolation has ended, don’t bother getting tested, you can do what you want. So I took their advice. My test came through negative anyway after their call as I took it before.

From reading it seems symptoms will carry on for a little longer.
Thats great for you and your family! How many days was that because my wife is on the same boat and we don’t know how long we have to stay apart for?

F-Red

Username checks out.

Andy_Cole

Thats great for you and your family! How many days was that because my wife is on the same boat and we don’t know how long we have to stay apart for?
It was 10 days from when symptoms started. It was a tough 10 days! FaceTime’d several times a day but it wasn’t the same.

Maluco

It was 10 days from when symptoms started. It was a tough 10 days! FaceTime’d several times a day but it wasn’t the same.
yeah, we are finding It tough, but worried about catching infection if we cut it off too soon. My wife had no real symptoms, so it’s tough to know where to cut things off.

Andy_Cole

yeah, we are finding It tough, but worried about catching infection if we cut it off too soon. My wife had no real symptoms, so it’s tough to know where to cut things off.
Has she tested? Was it for work or something? I guess to be safe just do it from the date of the test.

Maluco

Has she tested? Was it for work or something? I guess to be safe just do it from the date of the test.
Yeah, it was just precautionary really. She feels like she may have had body pains last Sunday on reflection but test was Wednesday morning. That means we will have to stay apart until Saturday!

Tough going!

I also don’t know where it leaves me with work if I continue to test negative.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Cases rising again in Ireland the last five or six days, after it looked like our latest lockdown was succeeding in squashing the spread. Very uncertain on what policy will be heading into Christmas. Very hard to see pubs opening in any capacity.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Cases rising again in Ireland the last five or six days, after it looked like our latest lockdown was succeeding in squashing the spread. Very uncertain on what policy will be heading into Christmas. Very hard to see pubs opening in any capacity.
Not rising but not decreasing. Disappointing but preferable to what’s happening elsewhere. Also not a massive surprise. This lockdown is only the same as the first one on paper. Completely different in practice. Just look at the traffic on the roads every day.

Factoring in the weather it seems completely unrealistic to expect numbers to get as low as they did in summer. So it’s hard to know what the plan is? What’s our goal for this lockdown?