SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

djembatheking

How much is this the government scaring people into staying home? Aren't a lot of these mutations of 'concern' just the ones that the boffins are keeping an eye on?
I think you are probably right and there is a bit of scaremongering going on , it doesn`t seem to be working though as I have started seeing more people about these last few weeks and quite a few in holiday homes . I think folk from all over the UK see Anglesey as a little safe haven at the minute.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
The mother in law got pinged. They've been pretty much in since March. Only going to the shop once a week.
I found out someone at work tested positive so that’s why it went off. The stupid thing is because there’s only 2 of us with the app out of about 25 of us there’s just us 2 isolating whereas the rest of the office is going in despite been in the same small same area as me, if they had the app it would’ve gone of for them too, they should’ve made it mandatory for everyone to have the app or else what’s the point. So they’re in work potentially catching and spreading it around.

That’s why this country has been fecked over by it.

Classical Mechanic

I think you are probably right and there is a bit of scaremongering going on , it doesn`t seem to be working though as I have started seeing more people about these last few weeks and quite a few in holiday homes . I think folk from all over the UK see Anglesey as a little safe haven at the minute.
I've changed my mind on the rhetoric around Covid-19. Earlier in the pandemic I thought a lot of the rhetoric used, especially around young people getting ill, was unneccesary scaremongering when you looked at the data. Since then I've realised just how blase and stupid a lot of people are when it comes to trying to contain the virus. I'm still amazed by how many people are not wearing masks even now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I found out someone at work tested positive so that’s why it went off. The stupid thing is because there’s only 2 of us with the app out of about 25 of us there’s just us 2 isolating whereas the rest of the office is going in despite been in the same small same area as me, if they had the app it would’ve gone of for them too, they should’ve made it mandatory for everyone to have the app or else what’s the point. So they’re in work potentially catching and spreading it around.

Tried telling your boss?

F-Red

Pointless, unless you're enforcing a smartphone on everyone. The wider question is why hasn't your workplace told the 25 who have had contact to go have a test?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Tried telling your boss?
he knows and doesn’t care tbf the Royal Mail as a whole haven’t been bothered about our health this whole pandemic, it Took long enough for them to even get us basic PPE, the whole office should’ve been shutdown of course but people need to get their parcels and mail as it’s obviously essential more so than workers health.

Pointless, unless you're enforcing a smartphone on everyone. The wider question is why hasn't your workplace told the 25 who have had contact to go have a test?
Most people do have smartphones now anyway even my grandparents have smartphones,

I don’t know if they have as I’ve not been in work and I’ve not spoke to anyone. As above though it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t bother As they’ve not cared throughout.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I am going to sound like an absolute prick for questioning this but why is Tom Moore’s family to be at his bedside in hospital while he battles pneumonia and covid whilst most peoples families are completely banished from hospital whilst their loved ones receive treatment?

I know he’s become a national treasure for his fundraising efforts but why does his family get special treatment...?
I agree with you but in fairness we don't know the circumstances. We've been allowing visiting for a while now under certain circumstances (end of life, patient with a relative as a carer, severe confusion or agitation etc).

Don't think he fits the latter two so it may sadly be the first.

If not, I imagine the decision has been made from a manager and would certainly be quite unfair.

Edit: Ah, just saw that sadly he's passed away. That would explain it then I guess.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Can you get the SA variant and the normal/UK variant at the same time?

Fluctuation0161

It’s literally the same mutation. And the reason it’s a surprise is that coronaviruses are supposed to be relatively stable. Mutating much less slowly than other similar viruses. To get so many mutations with so many important, clinically relevant implications all in quick succession is seriously bad luck.
Or is it because it is so widespread? Higher chance of mutation if there are more infections...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's not bad luck, it's by natures design. SARS-CoV 2 does have slower regular mutation rate than Influenza. It's recombination that is it's evolutionary advantage. We can see from the hard evidence in front of us, it is adapting.

I don't think the number of infections is that important, we've seen this mutation in SA, Brazil and now here in the UK because the people in all these places have a similar immune response. That is not a coincidence, it's the nature of SARS-CoV 2.

What this is telling us, is that as with Influenza there is little we can do. SARS-CoV 2 isn't going anywhere and will come back every year just as Influenza does. Even if some countries have kept it out for now, vast areas of human population won't be able to do that and it'll continually spread back to the rest.
The number of infections is very important as the probability of this happening, even with a slowly evolving virus like a coronavirus, may be very low per infection but if you have enough infections and it (or something like it) becomes almost certain. Then a more infectious strain will inevitably become the dominant variant as long as it isn't more fatal (or at least only more fatal to a degree that restricts the spread less than the advantage of the increased infectiousness).

And while we may not be able to eradicate SARS-CoV-2 like we did smallpox the slow evolving nature of coronaviruses will likely allow us to control it (or maybe even functionally eradicate it from most countries) far better than we have influenza. Given the economic impact I'd say the developed world is going to take a huge interest in getting as much of the rest of the world as possible vaccinated in their own self interest if nothing else.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did I read somewhere we might be close to a fairly accurate transmission reading for one of the current vaccines in next few weeks?

That would be the best news for quite some time. Of course keeping the vast majority out of ICU is the first step and that should be achievable with what we have available now but we'd all like the 2m rule consigned to history some time in next 12 months so would be massive step if we could be sure at least one of the vaccines stopped the virus spreading between people in crowded spaces.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
@Wibble NO NEW CASES IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Excellent. Every day we go like this gives increased hope it didn't get out and about. So barring the one WA case Australia has had no community transmission in over 2 weeks now.

I'm rolling my sleeve up now as the RPA is a vaccine site and just up the road. Not that I think we will get it for my age group for some time yet.

On a different note the bushfires west of Perth look more than a little shit. 71 homes gone and conditions worsening. :(

Tibs

Boris press conference in a few minutes.

Can't help but feel that people are being misled over Vaccinations - yes ten million might have had their jab which is excellent, but they all need that second dose yet

Prediction: By continuing hyping of the single dose vaccinations, they're going to invite a lot more pressure to open things up earlier, and that will lead to more unnecessary deaths/long term sickness amongst 20-50 years olds

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Can't help but feel that people are being misled over Vaccinations - yes ten million might have had their jab which is excellent, but they all need that second dose yet

Prediction: By continuing hyping of the single dose vaccinations, they're going to invite a lot more pressure to open things up earlier, and that will lead to more unnecessary deaths/long term sickness amongst 20-50 years olds
Pretty fair analysis I reckon.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Purely as far as the press conference went I don't think they came over that way at all, there were a lot of questions along the lines of 'when will we' and 'why can't we' and they were all pretty well slapped down.

Tibs

Purely as far as the press conference went I don't think they came over that way at all, there were a lot of questions along the lines of 'when will we' and 'why can't we' and they were all pretty well slapped down.
In the press conference yes, and that's if people were watching the whole thing....the headlines and news bites are very different. Time will tell

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Any of our resident medical people read about this recent Thapsigargin anti viral? Anything to get excited about other than selling the dream?

https://scitechdaily.com/powerful-a...-that-could-change-how-epidemics-are-managed/
Sounds interesting. But they’re at such an early stage of development there’s about an 80% chance it will never amount to anything and a 100% chance it won’t be available to treat people until long after this current pandemic is over.