SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
That's pretty normal for the majority of viruses. The cold virus can survive for a few hours in air normally and longer on surfaces up to a few days, but influenza generally not as long. The scary one is norovirus which can survive for weeks on surfaces.
Surely if that was already known (as it must've been given China have now been testing and studying it for months), then telling people to 'wash their hands and sing 'Happy Birthday' etc', would never have even seen the light of day though?

If they knew it was contagious in the air for 3 hours then tubes etc should've been immediately canned?

So much of this is so confusing.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Surely if that was already known (as it must've been given China have now been testing and studying it for months), then telling people to 'wash their hands and sing 'Happy Birthday' etc', would never have even seen the light of day though?

If they knew it was contagious in the air for 3 hours then tubes etc should've been immediately canned?

So much of this is so confusing.
It can hang in the air, but tens to disperse quite quickly (maybe not on the tube though). Usually you're more likely to get these things from touching a surface or from direct interaction with an infected person.

ArjenIsM3

Argh, hope you're OK. Gyms should have been shut first of all, people are sweating, breathing heavily, not cleaning equipment properly - just the sort of environment where things will spread.
Stop going to the gym! Jesus. We're in a pandemic. Stop unnecessary social stuff immediately.
The thing is, there were no known Corona cases within 20 km of where I am. This is the first (known) case in the city. Just bad luck I suppose. Didn't talk to him, touch him or use any of the equipment they were using though and he wasn't coughing or showing any symptoms so hopefully I'll be alright.

Bosws87

3 hour thing is bollocks the numbers would be so much higher if it was airborne to such an extent that’s just common sense.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Argh, hope you're OK. Gyms should have been shut first of all, people are sweating, breathing heavily, not cleaning equipment properly - just the sort of environment where things will spread.
I must admit I'm worried by this event taking place this weekend - https://www.moveitdance.co.uk/ - a dance festival that's effectively a mass audition/trade show for the performing arts. Thousands of (mostly teenage) performers from all over the UK, and thousands of visitors, parents, teachers along for the ride - and all heading into London for the weekend.

Meanwhile I'm seeing trade shows towards the end of March at the NEC and in London being cancelled. Which does make me wonder if the only reason this going ahead is the idea that "it's too late to cancel" now. They do have a statement on it saying that it'll go ahead unless the Department of Health advises/orders they cancel.https://www.moveitdance.co.uk/coronavirus-information/

There is some difference actually. The number of cases has gone down yesterday and today compared with the day before that. For the most part, you can expect people to get infected around 2 weeks before they get diagnosed, so those things show the effect two weeks after they get implemented. In Wuhan, actually the number of cases started going down only 2 weeks after the quarantine was enforced (in those 2 weeks just looking at the data, it was still going exponential).
Considering i am smack in the middle of the worst of it, i hope you are right, but the difference between 1700 and 1600 from day to day is negligible. If there is a downward trend over the next few days then we can be hopeful.

Oh and data from Italy is saying the average time for symptoms to show is 5 days, with most between 4 and 7. If you're symptom free by day 12 you will likely stay that way.

Last edited:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I think people simply don't understand how a Pandemic works.
I think he doesn't believe what he's saying but just wants to have a go at government. That's the Polish left for you. Carrying on with political argie bargie when the whole world is in shambles and societies try to unite beyond any divisions. That's what even worse than being a plain idiot.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rugani, Juventus defender has tested positive for Coronavirus.

Maroon Lucifer

Here in the Faroe Islands there are two infected, 33 are in quarantine. All tests since March 3rd have been negative thankfully. The football season was supposed to start last Sunday, but that was postponed til this coming Sunday without spectators. The PM will hold a press conference tomorrow morning, and it is expected he will close all schools for two weeks.

Paxi

Puts the CL at real risk now, the Juve players would have to go into self-isolation for 2 weeks even if Lyon are allowed to travel to Italy which is very unlikely anyway.
In my opinion, the CL is done. It would be completely irresponsible to carry on now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
And we are a feckin Island. I mean if you need an advantage from the get go it doesn't get any better than that. Morons.
Yea this is exactly what i said about Ireland.

IMO should have stopped all people in and out except the truck drivers.

Cloud7

Is it better to get the coronavirus now in a sense? I mean, I wouldn't want to be getting it when the healthcare is overwhelmed. Anyone who is getting treated now will be getting top class care, in a month time people could literally have no beds available for them.
On the other hand, treatment right now is just supportive care. In a month or two there may be a more targeted treatment.

Paxi

Yea this is exactly what i said about Ireland.

IMO should have stopped all people in and out except the truck drivers.
We should just take draconian measures. I don't think the island of Ireland would care too much if we quarantined all of the infected and literally battened down the hatches until this is all over. No one gets in or out except for absolutely essential travel. Ie food, medical delivery. Sure the economy would be pretty much ruined but its going to be fecked either way.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We should just take draconian measures. I don't think the island of Ireland would care too much if we quarantined all of the infected and literally battened down the hatches until this is all over. No one gets in or out except for absolutely essential travel. Ie food, medical delivery. Sure the economy would be pretty much ruined but its going to be fecked either way.
Totally agree. Too late now anyway.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Totally agree. Too late now anyway.
I know plagues seem like something from the middle ages but that doesn't mean the responses should be too. There's more to the science behind curtailing these pandemics than draconian measures. Ye'd have the country in bits before the virus is even in full flow.

Incidentally, the WHO (who have generally been critical of countries for being inactive so far) earlier praised Ireland's "coherent" response to the crisis and "mixed and comprehensive" strategy. It's not like we're doing badly thus far.

Paxi

I know plagues seem like something from the middle ages but that doesn't mean the responses should be too. There's more to the science behind curtailing these pandemics than draconian measures. Ye'd have the country in bits before the virus is even in full flow.

Incidentally, the WHO (who have generally been critical of countries for being inactive so far) earlier praised Ireland's "coherent" response to the crisis and "mixed and comprehensive" strategy. It's not like we're doing badly thus far.
I don't think were doing badly by any means and it does help that we live on the edge of the continent I suppose seeing as Andorra or one of them other small countries with tiny population has more cases than the north and the south collectively. Though, Romania are enforcing quarantine and isolation and they're is a heavy fine and criminal penalty if you end not following the rules. Russia apparently has up to five years imprisonment for not following isolation and quarantine. I'm not suggesting we resort to such measures but clearly telling people to self isolate doesn't work, there are so many irresponsible people, we've already heard second hand experience in this very thread.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

What do you have in mind?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Is there actually any evidence on whether this virus can sustain high temperature? I’m thinking how Summer could affect that, with 30+ degrees etc. Most viruses cope better in cold weather, right?