SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Some idiot in my parents home town came home from a skiing holiday in Italy. Was told to self-isolate with the rest of his family, but instead decided he didn't need to so went to the local pubs etc. Anyway it was confirmed yesterday he has the virus - first case in the town. What a selfish git.
Ha, funny he got it but I feel for the people in that town.

Italian PM just announced the entire country is closing down. All shops and businesses except essential services.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Some idiot in my parents home town came home from a skiing holiday in Italy. Was told to self-isolate with the rest of his family, but instead decided he didn't need to so went to the local pubs etc. Anyway it was confirmed yesterday he has the virus - first case in the town. What a selfish git.
Should be a pretty massive fine for selfish twats like that.

Balljy

I'd hope UK block Real fans coming here next week for the City Real game.

The situation over there is very bad and they've stopped fans going to games. 2222 cases, 54 deaths, nearly half of the cases in Madrid last I read a few days ago,, they announce 400-500 cases per day now. God knows what it'll be like next week but UK should make it known not to come tomorrow.
Already too late for that since a load of people have come over today from Madrid on planes with UK people, are staying in hotels, going to the bars in Liverpool, entering a packed stadium and then out in Liverpool for the night. How that wasn't played in an empty stadium is beyond me.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Stuff seems to be happening in America, just not from the top. NCAA events to be held behind mostly closed doors:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Heard an interesting point about why the timing/extent of forced social isolation is such a tough call. The aim is to flatten the curve but the worry is that we might just delay the peak by several months. If it coincides with the seasonal influenza peak next winter then resources will be much more stretched.
I don’t really understand the concept of a “peak” here, unless it means worst-case scenarios being fulfilled, which we surely want to avoid. Beyond taking the draconian measures seen in Wuhan, or finding a miracle cure, are there any reasons to believe we’ll eventually reach a stage where numbers start to drop?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Italian PM just announced the entire country is closing down. All shops and businesses except essential services.
Surely there is a plan in place to enable people to get food?

Edit: nevermind, Snowroll instantly provided the answer.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Denmark just announced a closure for two weeks as well. I have friends who are in medical school and apparently all doctors from psychiatry etc are being routed to critical care units. Retired physicians are being called in as well. Going by the measures I have a concern they are not sharing the real numbers to not cause massive panic.

redshaw

Already too late for that since a load of people have come over today from Madrid on planes with UK people, are staying in hotels, going to the bars in Liverpool, entering a packed stadium and then out in Liverpool for the night. How that wasn't played in an empty stadium is beyond me.
I'm talking about Man City vs Real Madrid next week here in Manchester.

I posted several days ago we should be preventing the Atletico Madrid fans coming for tonight's game in Liverpool. Should've been behind closed doors or home fans only. Once they announced La Liga games to be played behind closed doors off the back of a very bad situation in Spain and Madrid the city in particular we should not be allowing them either. If fans can't watch games in their country due to high amount of cases and death tolls, they shouldn't be allowed to hop to another country either.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Norway are finally banning anyone entering from high risk countries. Took their bloody time.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have two kilos of rice, one kilo of oats and some vegetables, eggs. Going by the rush at supermarkets right now I'm wondering if I should start rationing food and surviving on one meal a day.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t really understand the concept of a “peak” here, unless it means worst-case scenarios being fulfilled, which we surely want to avoid. Beyond taking the draconian measures seen in Wuhan, or finding a miracle cure, are there any reasons to believe we’ll eventually reach a stage where numbers start to drop?
That’s just the way viral epidemics (and pandemics!) work. They burn themselves out eventually. Either through the mirus mutating into a less contagious form or enough people catching it/becoming immune, or even a change in the weather. But yeah, it’s unlikely to happen without a very big % of the population getting infected. And “flattening the curve” is about infecting this % over as long a period of time as possible.

EDIT: Here’s a good article on this subject.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd hope UK block Real fans coming here next week for the City Real game.

The situation over there is very bad and they've stopped fans going to games. 2222 cases, 54 deaths, nearly half of the cases in Madrid last I read a few days ago,, they announce 400-500 cases per day now. God knows what it'll be like next week but UK should make it known not to come tomorrow.
Unlikely - right now there are 3000 fans from Madrid bouncing around in the dipper's stadium, invited over by the UK Government and Liverpool FC - either of which could've stopped it.

Disgusting. And I hope Liverpool are denied the PL after this.

If any old people get it and die as a result he should be in court for involuntary manslaughter.
Completely agree. And let's remember - not just old people.

A younger person could get it and end up disabled for life or dead.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
So long old continent. We hardly knew ye...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration is likely to discourage Americans from taking trips to Europe with a new advisory as soon as Wednesday that would warn against non-essential travel to the region over coronavirus concerns, sources said.

The White House is set to discuss the advisories as well as potential new travel restrictions on travelers from Europe entering the United States at a meeting on Wednesday, sources familiar with the discussions said. Reuters was first to report on the impending advisories.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That’s just the way viral epidemics (and pandemics!) work. They burn themselves out eventually. Either through the mirus mutating into a less contagious form or enough people catching it/becoming immune, or even a change in the weather. But yeah, it’s unlikely to happen without a very big % of the population getting infected. And “flattening the curve” is about infecting this % over as long a period of time as possible.
I have seen the weather thing being debunked as Singapore is relatively quite warm and the virus has been no less severe over there.

ArjenIsM3

Was just in the gym. Personal trainer next to me told his client his wife was being tested. Just got a message they're both positive. Feck

Revan

Assumptionman
I doubt it is enough. Italy did all those things 2 weeks ago and it made no difference. The only areas that have shown improvement are those that went into total shutdown. I am pretty sure that's why they have closed the whole country, they know its the only thing that works.
There is some difference actually. The number of cases has gone down yesterday and today compared with the day before that. For the most part, you can expect people to get infected around 2 weeks before they get diagnosed, so those things show the effect two weeks after they get implemented. In Wuhan, actually the number of cases started going down only 2 weeks after the quarantine was enforced (in those 2 weeks just looking at the data, it was still going exponential).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Mate was telling me that someone got tested positive for Covid-19 & their brother who lives with the infected patient (works with my mate) called 111 & said he’s not got any symptoms so what’s the advice. He got told to carry on as normal until they show symptoms.

Now I’m no expert, but I’m sure I’ve read symptoms can take up to 5 days to emerge & you can still spread it to others whilst not showing symptoms yourself. Surely the advice would be self-isolate for at least 5 days to make sure you don’t have it?! I really think people aren’t getting the right advice and/or are just being very easy about the whole thing whilst potentially infecting so many others.
Yeah, that's nonsense. They should self quarantine for 14 days and report only if there are no symptoms. If symptoms are identified, then it's already too late for containment.

Charlie Foley

Stuff seems to be happening in America, just not from the top. NCAA events to be held behind mostly closed doors:

Our hope is that at state level appropriate decisions are made as it sure as hell isn't coming from DC

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Was just in the gym. Personal trainer next to me told his client his wife was being tested. Just got a message they're both positive. Feck
Argh, hope you're OK. Gyms should have been shut first of all, people are sweating, breathing heavily, not cleaning equipment properly - just the sort of environment where things will spread.

Revan

Assumptionman
I have two kilos of rice, one kilo of oats and some vegetables, eggs. Going by the rush at supermarkets right now I'm wondering if I should start rationing food and surviving on one meal a day.
Maybe eventually but I don't think we are near that point. Italy is like 2 weeks ahead of other countries, and you can still buy food in the supermarkets.

MikeUpNorth

Stop going to the gym! Jesus. We're in a pandemic. Stop unnecessary social stuff immediately.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

These people need shooting. Unbelievable these con men have hundreds of millions of lives in their hands.

MikeUpNorth

Maybe eventually but I don't think we are near that point. Italy is like 2 weeks ahead of other countries, and you can still buy food in the supermarkets.
I don't think we're going to encounter a genuine food shortage, unless in an ultra extreme scenario where France and Italy cannot continue food production at the necessary levels to feed Europe.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Is it better to get the coronavirus now in a sense? I mean, I wouldn't want to be getting it when the healthcare is overwhelmed. Anyone who is getting treated now will be getting top class care, in a month time people could literally have no beds available for them.

Bosws87

your not going to starve to death

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
As a doctor working who’s just finished an on call shift, I can tell you that I’m genuinely worried. Not about getting it, I won’t die from it because I’m 26 and in good health. The butterfly effect of this will be disastrous.

More people will die indirectly from this than directly and that’s what’s scary.