SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I'm seriously wondering whether there's any truth in what the Iranian politician said on ( was it ? ) Monday that Covid-19 was part of a Germ Warfare programme in China and that there was an accidental leak of the virus amongst Lab Staff in Wuhan.

If true, it might go some way to explaining how / what the Chinese Government did do and didn't do in the first few weeks when casualties first started to appear.
There have been conflicting accusations on many sides, I believe this is the one you're referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misin...19–20_coronavirus_pandemic#Iranian_accusation

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The whole point of drastic social distancing measures is to spread out these inevitable infections over as long a period of time as possible. The same amount of people end up infected but not in such a short period of time that the health service can’t cope so the death rate is much much higher. That’s the whole “flatten the curve” thing you keep hearing about. Surely you understand the concept?!
What particular point were you disagreeing about? I agree with what you saying and don’t see what I wrote that contradicts that.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm seriously wondering whether there's any truth in what the Iranian politician said on ( was it ? ) Monday that Covid-19 was part of a Germ Warfare programme in China and that there was an accidental leak of the virus amongst Lab Staff in Wuhan.

If true, it might go some way to explaining how / what the Chinese Government did do and didn't do in the first few weeks when casualties first started to appear.
The head CDC Infectious Disease investigator interviewed by Joe Rogan said there’s absolutely no evidence of that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

It's baffling to me that the island of Ireland wouldn't be treated as one in circumstances like this, rather than NI following measures deemed appropriate by a government primarily focused on the needs of an entirely different island.

Revan

Assumptionman
The way these markets work is that they have live animals stuffed into cages stacked on top of each other. So on the bottom floor you have pangolins, above that you have a few bats and above that you have a couple of foxes or deer. So whatever piss/shit/saliva that the animal at the top of the stack secretes gets passed down to the cage below them and so on. That's how the transmission of the virus happens and true to form the Chinese shuttered the markets before WHO or external health officials land in town to make checks so no one really knows what or how the virus originated.

If this was a simple case of biological warfare, the Chinese would have an antidote that works as well for precisely this reason, accidental exposure and controlling it.
That would explain the number of low deaths in China (compared to the estimated number of deaths in the other countries).

Being real, I think it is natural. Just that wet markets need to be closed for good this time. SARS originated in the same way, just 2 decades ago. We should not have pandemies which can kill hundreds of millions every decade or two.

Oh, and kill all the fecking bats. Or failing that, kill people who fancy eating bats.

Bojan11

Tried to do my weekly grocery online shop. Tesco delivery slots are filled out until next Wednesday, which is crazy as I never seen it like this at Xmas.

Out of curiosity tried Asda and Sainsburys they pretty much the same. So I will have to go instore over the weekend. Feel sorry for the disabled people, who don’t have that option because a bunch of sheep decided they need to order one toilet roll and take a delivery slot.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Societal panic aside, what's the latest scientific news on the actual virus? Do we know more about it than we did in late December / early January?

Heard an expert say today on national television say that the virus is behaving slightly different than they expected.

Madthinker

We are working from home indefinitely. I am trying to remain calm though and think this is more companies not wanting to leave themselves open to legal action. They are playing it safe. Hopefully!
Not at my place, they're not.

I've just found out in the local press website that we've had an employee test positive. Company declined to comment on the matter.

Presumably they'd be able to confirm pretty quickly the facts, yet they've let us go home without mentioning anything.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Passing this along

Got this from a medical source. Good info.

Stanford hospital board internal message:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection.

In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous.

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasize enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
https://www.motherjones.com/politic...claiming-to-be-from-stanford-dont-believe-it/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/drinking-water-prevent-coronavirus/

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I've just found out in the local press website that we've had an employee test positive. Company declined to comment on the matter.

Presumably they'd be able to confirm pretty quickly the facts, yet they've let us go home without mentioning anything.
Times like this give you an insight into the type of cnuts you work for, if you haven't already figured it out for yourself.

Stactix

Can't shake the feeling the UK have fecked this
I think the UK will get it's pants pulled down unaware despite having plenty of time to prepare, plenty of evidence to work with.
The advisories that have came out from the meeting, old people not to go on cruise ships and no school trips abroad is for me ample evidence to say they are fecking this.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
^ Great. I have sore eyes, a stuffy sinus and a sore throat right now. I'm self isolating because I'm self employed and it's easy.

It's probably just seasonal allergies, but that post by @Raoul has shit me right up!

arthurka

Herd Immunity is a phrase the government are spewing, its faux behavioral science stuff.

To attain that sort of immunity means 90% of the population must have the antibodies.

That means 90% of the population, plus those who die, must have contracted the virus.

This is what happens when a bloke who worships eugenics to explain away how he is rich beyond 'he was born rich', to justify his own existence, gets into power.

At a 3% death rate, 95% contamination would mean 1.8 million deaths.And no one in the media is even batting an eyelid at what they are proposing.
That is exactly what happens when idiots who think they worldview and their insight is all powerful and wise. No need to listen to scientists or dr's they are all asking me for advice. Wait until he starts to tell everyone how he has gone hole in one on all courses he owns and plays. A great leader born of the heavens all seeing and all wise.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

feck! Well they’re obviously shitting themselves. Poor form to have not communicated.

As an aside, are healthy people still going about their normal lives? Visiting pubs, restaurants, theatres, etc. Or are you being cautious and effectively ‘isolating’ even if you have no symptoms?

I’m going to go stir crazy having to work from home.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Passing this along

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection.

In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
https://www.motherjones.com/politic...claiming-to-be-from-stanford-dont-believe-it/

Revan

Assumptionman
Passing this along

THE SYMPTOMS

Is there a link to that? Cause if it is reliable info, I would like to spread it to family/colleagues/friends.

I drink a lot of water, so this might be why nothing is happening to me, despite feeling slightly sick for the last 4 days.

Oh, the temperature thing is extremely encouraging if true. It would mean that in a month or two, the worst will pass (until October or so). But if that is true, why there are cases in Africa and South America?

Edit: saw the other posts. Yep, fake.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Is there a link to that? Cause if it is reliable info, I would like to spread it to family/colleagues/friends.

I drink a lot of water, so this might be why nothing is happening to me, despite feeling slightly sick for the last 4 days.

Oh, the temperature thing is extremely encouraging if true. It would mean that in a month or two, the worst will pass (until October or so). But if that is true, why there are cases in Africa and South America?
See two of our responses above. It's fake.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Fake News

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Below, although this is the split of ICU patients, not the likelihood of a patient of a certain age going into ICU.

From my region only, and there are 150 more than when i posted this:
Thanks. Impossible to interpret without knowing how many cases in each of those age groups. That data must be available. Seems to be impossible to find though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm starting to wonder what the point is in us taking such extreme measures in ROI if NI aren't going to bother themselves, seeing as 60,000 people cross that border every fecking day.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51852320

People can come to their own conclusions, after looking at what's happening in other countries, of which methods work and which don't.
Everyone knows and can understand that quarantines will work, so this evidence isn't useful. The question is what happens when those quarantines get released/people get bored of the quarantines and start disobeying.

Paxi

I'm starting to wonder what the point is in us taking such extreme measures in ROI if NI aren't going to bother themselves, seeing as 60,000 people cross that border every fecking day.
That's what I thought. Surely, we, as an island, should have a shared approach in this.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ffs @Raoul drinking water doesn’t kill the virus in your stomach, this stuff has been debunked weeks ago.

(edit): sorry, I see this has already been pointed out, carry on

Paxi

Everyone knows and can understand that quarantines will work, so this evidence isn't useful. The question is what happens when those quarantines get released/people get bored of the quarantines and start disobeying.
I don't know the answer to that.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can't shake the feeling the UK have fecked this
Just keep calm and take it on the chin. Didn’t you know?
Yeah, just top up your pension and fuel through more competition in the health sector through a hands off government that only get involved with big business when they need bailed out with your money. Learn your place while you're at it.

I promised I wouldn't get mad but I'm gonna do it; Boris Johnson is a big poopy head.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ffs @Raoul drinking water doesn’t kill the virus in your stomach, this stuff has been debunked weeks ago.

(edit): sorry, I see this has already been pointed out, carry on
Personally i was more concerned about the "it doesn't fall to the ground for 10 minutes after sneezing" bit.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Personally i was more concerned about the "it doesn't fall to the ground for 10 minutes after sneezing" bit.
So much conflicting information going around.

Paxi

There was a report that the virus stays in the air for up to 3 hours. I'll try to find it here.