SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When I went yesterday, there was still quite a bit of the wholewheat pasta left.
Yeah it's been like that in where I am (Middleton) but I haven't seen any new pasta on the shelves the last few times I've been in so people must just be taking whatever they can get.
Me too, it's pathetic how selfish and stupid people are.

I couldn't even get a usual weekend shop and had to resort to expensive alternatives because Tescos didn't put on the staff to put more out. I wonder why...

On the funny side, it shows what people really think about the low fat/salt/sugar alternatives to stuff that supposed to taste the same :lol:
If people were just buying a bit more to make sure they had enough for self-isolation it would probably be fine. It's screwing over people who just want to get their normal bits.

I hope they don't get too into the free-from stuff though, I thought the vegan stuff would be safe. :lol:
Helping people get a grip of themselves
:lol::lol:

Bwuk

I work for the NHS in Scotland and some of the decision making is farcical. I cannot believe how useless and ill prepared Scottish Government have been.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
But that's the whole point, there are people trying to model this and thus deciding the appropriate course of action.
Surely, you don't just release every back into society at once? We should have started with some small scale lockdowns and once everything looks to be in control, start steadily letting people return. China haven't just let everyone back into society. It's been small scale.

Madthinker

feck! Well they’re obviously shitting themselves. Poor form to have not communicated.

As an aside, are healthy people still going about their normal lives? Visiting pubs, restaurants, theatres, etc. Or are you being cautious and effectively ‘isolating’ even if you have no symptoms?

I’m going to go stir crazy having to work from home.
From what I can see at work, most people are going about their normal lives. I don't know if there is a norm is for pubs/restaurants/theatres - it's more of a weekend thing and next weekend is probably going to be completely different to the last. There's some people off - but more as a test than anything.

Anyway, I literally went to the supermarket straight after work. I wouldn't have done that if I'd known that I could have been working closely with someone who tested positive. I guess I should just straight between work and home from now on?

Plausibly, there's a reason why the company knows nobody else is at risk (e.g. person is on holiday in Italy and just happens to be employee), but if so, they could tell us to that effect.

I don't know if I'm right to be annoyed about it.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I work for the NHS in Scotland and some of the decision making is farcical. I cannot believe how useless and ill prepared Scottish Government have been.
Yeah there’s been absolutely no leadership on this whatsoever from Boris or Nicola in a meaningful way. Getting really pissed off that essentially nothing is happening. Ticking time bomb.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Surely, you don't just release every back into society at once? We should have started with some small scale lockdowns and once everything looks to be in control, start steadily letting people return. China haven't just let everyone back into society. It's been small scale.
China can do that, we can't. Brits won't do exactly what the government says so the government will probably have a maximum of 4 effective quarantine weeks.

0le

In fact, it was you who posted it. Can be detected for 3 hours in the air. Surely, it has to be airborne for a period of time then?
Very small droplets (nanodroplets) are likely to be airbourne for a considerable period of time. But the physics really depends on the background air conditions as well as the size of the droplets (if that is how the infection is transmitted).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Very small droplets (nanodroplets) are likely to be airbourne for a considerable period of time. But the physics really depends on the background air conditions as well as the size of the droplets (if that is how the infection is transmitted).
So how many of these nanodroplets one would have to inhale or get in their membranes to get infected?

cyberman

Hoping a lot of people self isolate and breaks their personal virus chain, should bring down the numbers by the summer. That and the raised self awareness should see us through.

0le

So how many of these nanodroplets one would have to inhale or get in their membranes to get infected?
I don't know anything about infections, my background is multiphase flows (air/water with small particles/droplets).

EDIT: If I remember correctly, 20 micron and above cannot peneterate the lungs. I'm not sure where the cut-off is.

Paxi

I don't know anything about infections, my background is multiphase flows (air/water with small particles/droplets).
Fair enough. Cheers for the initial info, though.

Cloud7

We got our first confirmed case today. Guy that returned from Switzerland a few days ago. Here we go I guess.

Paxi

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51858845

Found this article a bit contradictory. So he wasn't concerned about the virus but rang an ambulance to get checked over?

Imagine if there are tens of thousands infected who are feeling the need to get checked over in an ambulance, how would that work?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The genie was out of the bottle months ago. Anybody who’s ever taken an interest in the history of infectious diseases could have predicted months ago that the World will go in lock down. It’s inevitable imo. We’ve known since at least the Middle Ages that quarantaine is the only way to combat the threat of highly infectious diseases we have no cure for.
In the Netherlands things are escalating quickly. From tomorrow people are being asked to work from home where possible, avoid public transport and events of > 100 people have been banned. University’s and collega’s have been suspended. I predict it’s only a matter of when Schools & day care centers will follow, then full lock down The problem is that it’s impossible to contain the virus without quarantine once it can be no longer traced who infected who, as is now already the case in most countries with significant amounts of infections.
It seems to be a relatively mild virus for the vast majority of us who get it, but deadly the elderly or people with underlying medical issues. So the next 3 months are going to be incredibly weird and especially dull for the most of us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm baffled by this... I read some commentary that, as this disease is "inevitable" better to not do anything now so we're ready to act /go into lock down when it gets really bad...

But then, surely doing some quick and major things to delay the spread will be helpful!? Even if that is the model.

Paxi

I'm baffled by this... I read some commentary that, as this disease is "inevitable" better to not do anything now so we're ready to act /go into lock down when it gets really bad...

But then, surely doing some quick and major things to delay the spread will be helpful!? Even if that is the model.
Absolutely. I really can't understand where this theory is coming from. Defies all logic.

Charlie Foley

EDIT: If I remember correctly, 20 micron and above cannot peneterate the lungs. I'm not sure where the cut-off is.
How much is 20 micron? Is that an easy threshold to meet?

Skills

Snitch
The genie was out of the bottle months ago. Anybody who’s ever taken an interest in the history of infectious diseases could have predicted months ago that the World will go in lock down. It’s inevitable imo. We’ve known since at least the Middle Ages that quarantaine is the only way to combat the threat of highly infectious diseases we have no cure for.
In the Netherlands things are escalating quickly. From tomorrow people are being asked to work from home where possible, avoid public transport and events of > 100 people have been banned. University’s and collega’s have been suspended. I predict it’s only a matter of when Schools & day care centers will follow, then full lock down The problem is that it’s impossible to contain the virus without quarantine once it can be no longer traced who infected who, as is now already the case in most countries with significant amounts of infections.
It seems to be a relatively mild virus for the vast majority of us who get it, but deadly the elderly or people with underlying medical issues. So the next 3 months are going to be incredibly weird and especially dull for the most of us.
Which is why a level of lockdown is critical when the number of cases are still within the 100s. The lockdown should've happened about a week ago to effectively trace the infected, then eventually everyone else can get back to daily life. But the flights/travel still has to be suspended to stop new external sources coming into the country - which is going to happen anyway now when the situation is a lot, lot worse.

Cloud7

Where you from mate?
Trinidad & Tobago.

It’s impeccable timing as well, as the meeting to select the first Covid team members from our department was at midday today, then by 3 we got the news that we have our first confirmed case.

Paxi

Trinidad & Tobago.

It’s impeccable timing as well, as the meeting to select the first Covid team members from our department was at midday today, then by 3 we got the news that we have our first confirmed case.
Ok cheers mate. Hope it doesn't spread.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

It's all about timing limited measures based on whatever modelling suggests will be most effective. So in principle the idea of delaying and staggering measures makes sense, I think.

What makes less sense to me is why the UK's idea of the optimal time for these measures seems to be significantly different to that of so many nearby countries. That would suggest that either the situation within the UK is notably different or the modelling/timetable the UK are working off is notably different.

Ireland's CMO said today that the UK had taken a different approach to the crisis from the start, which suggests the latter is the case. Which should probably be a concern.