SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mortality rate is only with confirmed cases and a lot of people is carrying that virus without knowing. The H1N1 final numbers was an estimation as well with confirmed and not confirmed numbers. Also Italy is the country with the most older people in the world so thats normal with any flu a lot of them will die. Would be interesting to know how many people already died in Italy with the seasonal flu, here in the states already more than 10000 died comparing with about 50 with coronavirus.
I would be shocked if mortality of coronavirus isn’t at least 50 times higher than H1N1 when it all ends (if it ends).

Charlie Foley

It’s all well and good Varadkar tweeting out that mass gatherings of over 100 people are banned, but like surely 90 odd people in a small pub is still pretty awful, think they need to shut down pubs full stop here in Ireland. Live cam of Temple Bar was absolutely shocking last night.
Wankers

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
@barros when was the last time you saw a country lock down 16 million in a single city? When was the last time you saw a country lose control of hospitalizations. Examples please. You best get back on Fox, they are updating their thinking, finally.

spiriticon

Mortality rate is only with confirmed cases and a lot of people is carrying that virus without knowing. The H1N1 final numbers was an estimation as well with confirmed and not confirmed numbers. Also Italy is the country with the most older people in the world so thats normal with any flu a lot of them will die. Would be interesting to know how many people already died in Italy with the seasonal flu, here in the states already more than 10000 died comparing with about 50 with coronavirus
Maybe this will eventually be like the flu in a few years time. I don't doubt it. But we've had years of practice dealing with the flu and have vaccines/cures for it to protect the most vulnerable. For example, I don't take flu jabs as I know I'll survive it but I know my dad does as he is 60+.

The issue is the now. There is no vaccine/cure for Covid so it is overwhelming health systems with it's immediate impact. In fact, I'd say if you were 70+ and had a bad flu pneumonia in Northern Italy right now, I'd say you'd be pretty fecked. Whereas if you had it last year, chances are you would have been alright.

If you're just gonna say, 'well people die anyway what's the big deal?' then we may as well just disband the NHS and let nature decide it all.

Why bother saving cancer patients? Why bother saving heart attack patients? Why bother giving insulin to diabetic patients? People die anyway.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Most of the bars in Derry are closing tonight for the foreseeable future.

My sister is a health visitor hasn't nursed in a hospital in years but has been told she and others will be required to go in probably week after next when it is expected to hit big time .

Also calling up retired health workers . There is a lot happening behind the scenes . I expect a lot of places like libraries , halls etc to be fitted out to take care of people.

This is going to be a very bumpy ride

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would be shocked if mortality of coronavirus isn’t at least 50 times higher than H1N1 when it all ends (if it ends).
There is probably the stats for both the flu and Covid somewhere but it's worth mentioning that the issue is the amount of people requiring access to ICU, these people survive/survived because they were in ICU and the more people get infected the more people won't have access to ICU.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Most of the bars in Derry are closing tonight for the foreseeable future.

My sister is a health visitor hasn't nursed in a hospital in years but has been told she and others will be required to go in probably week after next when it is expected to hit big time .

Also calling up retired health workers . There is a lot happening behind the scenes . I expect a lot of places like libraries , halls etc to be fitted out to take care of people.

This is going to be a very bumpy ride
Just back from lunch with my parents, my bro and his girlfriend who is a nurse - she is being retrained very quickly as an ICU nurse tomorrow and will be straight into ICU this week. Was fecking awful saying goodbye to my parents as they have decided to self-isolate for forseeable future and it will be months till I see them again.

0le

Just back from lunch with my parents, my bro and his girlfriend who is a nurse - she is being retrained very quickly as an ICU nurse tomorrow and will be straight into ICU this week. Was fecking awful saying goodbye to my parents as they have decided to self-isolate for forseeable future and it will be months till I see them again.
Thankfully the internet is still available, can you imagine if that infrastructure was down as well?

Fully Fledged

Latest from the government spokesperson.
This guy has no idea about lag. If you try and stop it when the bottle is full the lag in the system will cause the bottle to overflow.
The other problem is that the causes don't flow at a consistent rate everyday that it goes uncontrolled it speeds up at a vast rate. We could go from 1300 confirmed cases to 5000 in a couple or 3 of days by then our capacity of ventilators could be overwhelmed as we only have 5000 ventilators and you can bet your bottom dollar that that most of those 5000 are already in use.

0le

This guy has no idea about lag. If you try and stop it when the bottle is full the lag in the system will cause the bottle to overflow.
The other problem is that the causes don't flow at a consistent rate everyday that it goes uncontrolled it speeds up at a vast rate. We could go from 1300 confirmed cases to 5000 in a couple or 3 of days by then our capacity of ventilators could be overwhelmed as we only have 5000 ventilators and you can bet your bottom dollar that that most of those 5000 are already in use.
Its just a simple analogy to get the basic idea across. Every analogy has flaws, but this isn't meant to be some groundbreaking way of thinking either...

lsd

The Oracle

I don't know how my dad will cope with a four months lockdown. He moans if he has to stay in for one day .

It's gonna be mental . Just hope in 6 monthes time we are all here arguing over who was the best Batman or something

432JuanMata

Most pubs closing in Ireland today/tonight as a lot of shops/restaurants are going to close down aswell

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
That’s probably right, there is a lot of people in there 30s living at there parents home with there children, primarily brought on by the cost and lack of housing as well as the renting costs.

Member 90887

Did anyone see this ? Trending on reddit right now.

U.S. government allegedly attempts to secure COVID-19 vaccine exclusively and "only for the U.S." by offering large sums of money to a company in Germany that develops it

And there's this comment from a redditor giving more details on what's happening with this company.

User : Eadgifu

This is pretty interesting.
Apparently the CEO, Menichella, met with Trump on 2 March to discuss Curevac's efforts at finding a vaccine. Then nine days later he was sacked without explanation and the chairman and founder Hoerr took over as CEO. Source
That is a huge move when your company is in the middle of working on something this important.
Was Menichella making overtures to Trump, or being receptive to Trump's overtures, causing Hoerr to step in?
Or the opposite, was Menichella not playing nice with Trump prompting Hoerr to step in to try to execute a deal?
Surely it can't be a coincidence given the timing.
Fascinating, but also worrying.
EDIT - Ok, this is interesting. Hoerr is the German founder, who has a scientific background, while Menichella is a US-based CEO with a reputation as more of a 'deal maker'. Source.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Did anyone see this ? Trending on reddit right now.

And there's this comment from a redditor giving more details on what's happening with this company.
Yeah, it's a pretty shitty thing to do and fair play to the German CEO.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't know how my dad will cope with a four months lockdown. He moans if he has to stay in for one day .

It's gonna be mental . Just hope in 6 monthes time we are all here arguing over who was the best Batman or something
I was about to say. Where the feck is Batman when you need him.

432JuanMata

But even you and me for example could have that virus with no symptoms
Doesn’t matter same was for swine flu my mother got it and didn’t go hospital so she wasn’t counted etc. Also Covid-19 is currently at a much higher mortality rate

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

Why would we? Everybody knows it’s George Clooney.

Vitro

Mortality rate is only with confirmed cases and a lot of people is carrying that virus without knowing. The H1N1 final numbers was an estimation as well with confirmed and not confirmed numbers. Also Italy is the country with the most older people in the world so thats normal with any flu a lot of them will die. Would be interesting to know how many people already died in Italy with the seasonal flu, here in the states already more than 10000 died comparing with about 50 with coronavirus.
Last year in Italy 240 people died from seasonal flu. In the last month 1500 died from the coronavirus. By the end of this the number will be several orders of magnitude different.

432JuanMata

Last year in Italy 200 people died from seasonal flu. In the last month 1500 died from the coronavirus. By the end of this the number will be several orders of magnitude different.
Exactly more people had the flu aswell only 21,500 people have corona virus in Italy and 1500 have died the rate in Italy is nearly 6% which is extreme

redshaw

Surprised to see Germany close the borders after Merkel and the EU were against it.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Schools in the Netherlands are closed as of tomorrow, along with all cafes and restaurants until April 06.

Devil81

Econemy Econemy econemy!!!

I'm fed up of people giving a feck about the econemy!! When my parents are likely fighting for their life does anyone thinking I will be caring about the econemy.

Honestly we can rebuild as a nation once this is over, people worrying about money and the long term effects. If this wipes out a quarter of a million we will be regretting not locking down, shutting up shop and letting this thing pass.

The Government should be looking at ways of holding rental and energy costs. Put bills on hold for 6 months, give everyone a living allowance, ration off food if we have to.

Surely lives are worth more than making sure we come out of this in a stable financial position.

Classical Mechanic

Regarding testing, if it’s the method that is most effective why are so few countries doing it in anywhere near the South Korean level, is it simply a lack of resources?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

It’ll always be Abed, followed by Lego.