SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
The german armed forces are asking former members with certain medical or/and care training to contact the armed forces medical service.

Shark

@NotShark
It’s all well and good Varadkar tweeting out that mass gatherings of over 100 people are banned, but like surely 90 odd people in a small pub is still pretty awful, think they need to shut down pubs full stop here in Ireland. Live cam of Temple Bar was absolutely shocking last night.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Stay at home if you have coronavirus symptoms
Stay at home for 7 days if you have either:

• a high temperature – you feel hot to touch on your chest or back
  • a new, continuous cough – this means you've started coughing repeatedly
Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
I'm not sure if it's possible but making yourself known could be a good idea, particularly if you feel that there is an evolution. Just to let them have you in their system through remote consultation.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s all well and good Varadkar tweeting out that mass gatherings of over 100 people are banned, but like surely 90 odd people in a small pub is still pretty awful, think they need to shut down pubs full stop here in Ireland. Live cam of Temple Bar was absolutely shocking last night.
I don't think they gave the power to do it, weirdly enough. Seems they need to enforce some extra powers so they can.

Fecking imbeciles in temple bar last night are probably the same ones panic buying toilet paper.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, reflecting on his experience of being Health Secretary and the need for senior government politicians (especially those with no credibility like Matt Hancock) to step back and allow all communications to only come through official government releases and via the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Science Advisor

I agree that articles like Robert Peston’s last night aren’t particularly helpful, although their content is not surprising. There is clear briefing going on.

spiriticon

Stay at home. If you feel your chest tightening and are short of breath, call 111 immediately.
Here are the deaths in Europe so far:
Country,TotalTotal
OtherCasesDeaths
Italy21,1571,441
Spain7,753291
France4,49991
UK1,14021
Netherlands1,13520
Switzerland2,21714
Germany5,42611
San Marino1015
Greece2284
Belgium8864
Norway1,2053
Poland1193
Denmark8642
Sweden1,0242
Ireland1292
Bulgaria432
Hungary321
Austria8001
Slovenia2191
Luxembourg591
Albania421

And here's a map of Europe showing the number of older people living with their kids.

Household infection is by far the biggest route for the spread of C19 (with up to 75-80%).

With Italy having so many older people living with young families, and Germany having so few, it was always going to hit the former harder (in terms of deaths per confirmed case).

Spain and Poland need to start isolating the 65+ very soon (if they haven't already).
This is beautiful data. Thank you.

Ireland seems to be high at risk as well!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Stay at home. If you feel your chest tightening and are short of breath, call 111 immediately.

This is beautiful data. Thank you.

Ireland seems to be high at risk as well!
Despite us also have the youngest population in Europe. Seems strange.

Classical Mechanic

Despite us also have the youngest population in Europe. Seems strange.
Doesn't the data suggests that in Ireland a lot of the high risk population live with younger people which would make isolating from the virus a lot harder? 75-80% Chinese cases are thought to have been transmitted in the home.

Utdstar01

Nike, Urban Outfitters and Apple all closing. Wonder if other Brands will follow suit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think they gave the power to do it, weirdly enough. Seems they need to enforce some extra powers so they can.

Fecking imbeciles in temple bar last night are probably the same ones panic buying toilet paper.
A lot of places are closing voluntarily at this point anyway, even Temple Bar.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
On Friday I checked in with the senior's home where I volunteer with my dogs to see if it was still ok to come in. Got the all clear almost right away.

By this morning the facility's nurses made the decision to stop admitting all volunteers and family members. Chatting with the coordinator and she said "hopefully we see you before the summer."

Getting concerned this is going to get a whole lot worse.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Getting concerned this is going to get a whole lot worse.
It will.

In Germany the executive is slowly, step for step shutting down public life in all its forms. Except are work when neccessary, basic shopping etc.
Strange feeling. Still feels unreal.

Good thing is that the majority of people orderly stocked up on food and basics (toilet paper is a bit of a problem). So that there will be no need for big long shopping trips in the coming week/s.

Still hoping we are overreacting but the gears are turning and I hope we will be ready when it hits our health system

JPRouve

Scout
It will.

In Germany the executive is slowly, step for step shutting down public life in all its forms. Except are work when neccessary, basic shopping etc.
Strange feeling. Still feels unreal.

Good thing is that the majority of people orderly stocked up on food and basics (toilet paper is a bit of a problem). So that there will be no need for big long shopping trips in the coming week/s.

Still hoping we are overreacting but the gears are turning and I hope we will be ready when it hits our health system
They are shutting the french border too.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
A very old relative of mine was on an Emirates flight from India and I got really worried. Thankfully it's not from Kochi.

I posted it before but this twitter thread shows the mentality from the Villages in Florida. That *is* the GOP base - over-55 only, and 97% white.
(An article about the Villages is read by Bernie bros here for a better idea of their general politics).
The comments to that Twitter thread are morbidly funny. Guess I’m going to hell too.

DavelinaJolie

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...020-3?amp&r=US&IR=T&__twitter_impression=true

• President Donald Trump tried to poach German scientists working on a cure for the coronavirus so he could secure exclusive rights to a potential vaccine for the US only.
  • Newspaper Die Welt am Sonntag reported that Trump's administration had offered large sums of cash to secure rights for the vaccine work, "but only for the USA."
  • The German government is battling back, offering financial incentives to the company to remain in Germany.
  • Karl Lauterbach, a senior German politician and professor of epidemiology, said in response to the report: "The exclusive sale of a possible vaccine to the USA must be prevented by all means. Capitalism has limits."

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The UK's arc is worrying there. It's difficult to see because of how cramped it is around that point but it looks like most countries the arc flips from exponential to logarithmic by now whereas the UK is still exponential.

JPRouve

Scout
Sounds harsher as it is. Except are travel to work and other exceptions. If I'm right it is that in both directions. You can drive for work to France or Germany. Including commercial/goods travel.
You are right it sounds harsher. It concerns France, Switzerland and Austria, people living at the border will still be able to move as long as goods but not the rest.

JPRouve

Scout
The UK's arc is worrying there. It's difficult to see because of how cramped it is around that point but it looks like most countries the arc flips from exponential to logarithmic by now whereas the UK is still exponential.
I was telling myself the same thing, it looks like Spain more than the rest.

0le

You can't make that claim without first doing some sort of regression on the data.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Do you mind look up for 2009 swine flu's morality rate and compare it to 2019 corona-sars' morality rate?
In Italy it's already 6% but yea the lack of toilet paper is the only thing bothers you.
Mortality rate is only with confirmed cases and a lot of people is carrying that virus without knowing. The H1N1 final numbers was an estimation as well with confirmed and not confirmed numbers. Also Italy is the country with the most older people in the world so thats normal with any flu a lot of them will die. Would be interesting to know how many people already died in Italy with the seasonal flu, here in the states already more than 10000 died comparing with about 50 with coronavirus.

Foxbatt

It seems that in China it's under control but in other countries it's going terribly fast.