SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pagh Wraith

It’s made with eggs and takes about a minute to cook. Only lasts a few days on the shelf though, and is therefore more expensive
That doesn't sound very Italian to me. I know there are noodles made from eggs but I've always thought pasta (=Italian) means no eggs.

Alabaster Codify7

Second day WFH today. I live in a small town so around 6pm yesterday I went for a hike for some fresh air around the hills then out of curiosity I called in Tesco and was pleasantly surprised. Few empty shelves but not much and all calm in terms of those shopping.

Lots of old people drinking in the local Wetherspoons too. If they want to take the risk, go for it I suppose. My folks are social distancing for the foreseeable.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just seen on Twitter the queues at Asda and Tesco. Think it’s time Military was called to these places.
This is why I go to the little independent shops.
They generally have the basics for what I need in this situation.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

PM is going to have to do something sooner rather than later.
You're right it's time for intervention, supermarkets have failed to stop this nonsense now the more stringent measures are required.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Second day WFH today. I live in a small town so around 6pm yesterday I went for a hike for some fresh air around the hills then out of curiosity I called in Tesco and was pleasantly surprised. Few empty shelves but not much and all calm in terms of those shopping.

Lots of old people drinking in the local Wetherspoons too. If they want to take the risk, go for it I suppose. My folks are social distancing for the foreseeable.
It's putting people around them at risk as well though. That's certainly my issue with people carrying on as normal right now.

I'm so pissed at my Dad. He was at the horse racing on saturday, went out to the rugby on sunday and then on to the pub, then was at the pub again after work last night. He works in a care home with very old, high risk, vulnerable people. He's 62 as well, and not in the best of health either so he's also high risk. He's a smart guy, I thought he'd know and act better, but he just thinks it's "funny". He's always taken his job very seriously and gone above and beyond for the people he works with, but I just don't know what he's thinking right now. Maddening.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The fact that the Czech Republic, which has the highest beer consumption in the world, has no deaths yet would support that theory.
Denmark had a quite low mortality rate last time I checked as well. (Although I think that climb in the coming weeks)

Bojan11

You're right it's time for intervention, supermarkets have failed to stop this nonsense now the more stringent measures are required.
Asda said from 6 to 9am it was supposed to be elderly and said others should stay away if they can. Yet these people came and staff got overwhelmed. It’s hard to control this amount of people. Supermarket security can’t do shit. They even dare touch someone they could lose their job. Time for military and police to be in these shops. Limited people in shop and one of each item for every person.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Asda said from 6 to 9am it was supposed to be elderly and said others should stay away if they can. Yet these people came and staff got overwhelmed. It’s hard to control this amount of people. Supermarket security can’t do shit. They even dare touch someone they could lose their job. Time for military and police to be in these shops. Limited people in shop and one of each item for every person.
Yeah when I meant fail, as in they don't have the resource/power to stop these morons. I agree the army/police should be brought in or we will face food shortages.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I've just checked my pantry. All pasta I have (Buitoni, Barilla) is 100% made from grains. What the hell is "fresh" pasta? Pre-cooked presumably?
They call it egg pasta in the UK, you'll find it on the chilled counters in the shops. It's more expensive than dried pasta and obviously has a shorter shelf life. It's not pre-cooked, you cook it in the usual way. Has more calories than the other kind, too.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
If you plot total cases and deaths on a logarithmic scale it's still exponential.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Absolutely. We haven't panic stocked in our house and menu plan very precisely each week to avoid food waste so are getting to the end of our weekly stock. We tried to order click and collect last night and cannot have any slot until April. People, en masse, are so bloody narrow minded sometimes.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It's putting people around them at risk as well though. That's certainly my issue with people carrying on as normal right now.

I'm so pissed at my Dad. He was at the horse racing on saturday, went out to the rugby on sunday and then on to the pub, then was at the pub again after work last night. He works in a care home with very old, high risk, vulnerable people. He's 62 as well, and not in the best of health either so he's also high risk. He's a smart guy, I thought he'd know and act better, but he just thinks it's "funny". He's always taken his job very seriously and gone above and beyond for the people he works with, but I just don't know what he's thinking right now. Maddening.

WTF he may have killed dozens of people with his actions.

Penna

Staff
Those shopping queues are absolutely ridiculous. People should be made to shop at whichever store is closest to their home address, as long as it sells essentials. You don't need to go to a huge superstore with massive choice at times like these. You adjust your lifestyle, which includes your eating habits.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Lots isn’t though. Even good restaurants will use high quality dried pasta. It all depends on which pasta you want and the rest of the dish. Some traditionally employ a certain dried variety (which typically use no eggs, but some do), others use a fresh pasta (which will likely have a fair amount of egg).

Some of the fresh stuff we get in the UK is a bit weird though. Ain’t nobody using fresh egg shapes like fusili or penne. That’s usually always better in a high quality dried brand. Fresh egg pasta is typically stuffed (ravioli, etc) or bands (tagliatelle or pappardelle).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just seen on Twitter the queues at Asda and Tesco. Think it’s time Military was called to these places.
WTF is the military going to do, apart from cause more fear and panic :lol:

They can't exactly say just 1 pack of pasta lad or i'll shoot you?

The shops just need to be stronger and set limitations. Eventually this'll die down anyway, how many people can stock up much more?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal

The shops just need to be stronger and set limitations. Eventually this'll die down anyway, how many people can stock up much more?

they can arrest you and detain you.

Do you fancy that or do you prefer to behave reasonably?

Penna

Staff
I can almost guarantee that when this has all settled down, lots of people will have cupboards full of stuff they bought, didn't really want and won't use. And it'll get thrown away.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
they can arrest you and detain you.

Do you fancy that or do you prefer to behave reasonably?
What legal grounds can they arrest you for shopping? unless Martial Law is declared then they can't do anything.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What legal grounds can they arrest you for shopping? unless Martial Law is declared then they can't do anything.

Watch this space after this evening's briefing. Emergency powers will definitely include managing supplies and dealing with cnuts harshly.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I can almost guarantee that when this has all settled down, lots of people will have cupboards full of stuff they bought, didn't really want and won't use. And it'll get thrown away.
Was saying the same to my wife last night as she was telling me off for being lazy. So many people don't think straight out of their natural functioning.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The amount of food waste that will come from this is sickening.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
WTF he may have killed dozens of people with his actions.
Yep, it's sickening. He even posted it on Facebook that he was at the pub last night, and all his boomer mates were commenting shite like "good on ya mate!". ffs.

Bizarre how those who are high risk or close to high risk are not giving a feck, and generally younger people are the ones shitting it, not wanting to contract it or pass it on to elder relatives.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Those shopping queues are absolutely ridiculous. People should be made to shop at whichever store is closest to their home address, as long as it sells essentials. You don't need to go to a huge superstore with massive choice at times like these. You adjust your lifestyle, which includes your eating habits.
Yeah but you're a sensible person Penna, sadly a large part of the populace is not.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

It'll help to show the seriousness of the situation. The military won't shoot you but they'll have the powers to detain and arrest or or remove you from the supermarket.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
All the talk of military lockdown is misplaced I think.

We have just 135,000 police after tory cuts and at 95,000 active personnel, a smaller military than at any time since waterloo for the same reason.

Yes, they are armed, but there are two issues with that. First, asking your armed forces to fire on your own civilians is pretty much game over for a society. And if they ever did, it changes the rules forever. There are 65 million people, guns or not they are not winning that fight.

Johnson will, if he is sensible, avoid testing any of that at all costs.
Well he can instigate 'military rule' without actually declaring it, the Corona bill, being the first step. But if looting, violent crime and public disorder becomes pandemic (remember the student riots), he may have no choice. My sister who is a doctor, and caring for Convid19 patients in ICU said to me last night that she is more fearful of the 'mental illness' this crisis is causing, driven mainly by people being addicted to social media, and that in the long term that will be more ruinous to our culture than the tragic and inevitable deaths that will occur.

I think in this extraordinary situation, we have to trust that our Prime Minister has best interests of the country at heart. And he is only as good as the advice he gets from his experts, and his ability to cut through the clutter and identify the genuinely important questions. He may make mistakes, but they will be honest ones, because he will be faced with questions that only have imperfect answers. 'Let one person die to save 100' will be at the heart of every decision he takes.

We need to support our PM right now. The very fact that he won his way to power via the prolonged and divisive Brexit debate tell me, he has great instincts, stamina and self confidence. (PS: I voted Remain and Labour/ Corbyn)

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I reckon Corbyn is breathing a sigh of relief that he isn't having to run the country right now. There are no winning solutions.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I reckon Corbyn is breathing a sigh of relief that he isn't having to run the country right now. There are no winning solutions.
I spent three months listening to idiots on Facebook saying Labour couldn’t do math, people didn’t need free broadband and that shelves would be empty under Jezza.