SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fully Fledged

Only the small shops have stuff thought, it seems. Even after restocking overnight and the supposed "pensioners and vulnerable only" my local Asda had feck all at 9:10 this morning. Went in with a trolley and came out with three Mother's Day cards.
Hoarder.
Joking aside it's crazy I went at 14:10 and there was nothing in either Sainsbury's and The Food Warehouse.

Red_toad

Why would anyone want to go to a rammed pub right now?
Dumb people listening to other dumb people without knowing the full facts. Young people thinking they’ll be fine and suffer no symptoms. Others think it’ll they’ll only have a mild case. Some have a drink problem and have nowhere else to turn. Then finally there are those who do not fear death and have seen this kind of thing come and go.

Have to say the early morning supermarket mob are far more common and they’ll die at home surrounded by bog roll and hand wipes.

I’d say there are an awful lot of people who’s lives are going to be destroyed by this virus. It’s going to get very bad in many western counties and the crap elements of our society’s will come out in force, as there won’t be much of a thin blue line...
Australia is probably going to have an explosion of cases over the next few weeks, as our government is being far too reactive and worrying about how business will cope, rather than how many of the electorate will die.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm no expert on politics how are the government going to fund paying those wages? Does it mean borrowing and another recession?
There's going to be a huge recession. The question is whether we get a full blown depression like in the 1930s.

And yes, the government is planning to borrow the money and add to the national debt to fund the spending.

Carolina Red

Staff
Newbie @mehdimike has asked me to relay this question...

Do any of you know any statistics about the rate of recovered asthmatics? (For Covid-19)

The poster is from Iran and his father has asthma, which is prompting the question.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
There's going to be a huge recession. The question is whether we get a full blown depression like in the 1930s.

And yes, the government is planning to borrow the money and add to the national debt to fund the spending.
Thank you. These are scary times. Even when the Coronavirus has gone I guess there is going to be a massive amount of rebuilding and still so many more obstacles and hardships to overcome.

Virgil

Why couldn't the self employed get 80% of their last yearly income? We pay tax like everybody else. We've been absolutely fecked over.
I thought the chancellor said it was subject to a maximum of 2.5k per month or have I misunderstood?

Smores

I'm no expert on politics how are the government going to fund paying those wages? Does it mean borrowing and another recession?
The recession was happening anyway and the debt is very cheap. The money doesn't disappear but goes back into the economy, a simple but important point.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

Hopefully a depression that ushers in a new wave of progressives.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I work in a bookies, I'm pretty surprised that they haven't decided to close yet considering there is basically nothing to bet on and most of our customers are older guys.

finneh

I like to think that Rishi, unlike Javid, is more of a "let the rich get rich and leave them be" Tory instead of the "let the rich get rich and leave them be, and also feck the poor because it's funny" Tory.

Then you had George Osborne who was a "I have no idea what I'm doing but let's kill the poor and steal their clothes" Tory.
Think it's more populist vs conservative. Populists such as Johnson and Sunak have more in common economically with Corbyn than Thatcher (it's naturally popular to want something for nothing with a mythical person paying for it (spoiler alert the person paying for it is the same person who thinks they're benefiting from it)).

To some degree the country voted populist a few months ago, rather than Tory (a trend we've seen in the US).

Ludens the Red

The "experts" on here are mostly amplifying what the expert consensus across the globe is. Are you seriously saying you think their best judgment about the health, economic and social outcomes is not worth following? No-one knows precisely what's going to happen, so it's all opinions at the end of the day, and your opinion counts as much as anyone else's?
Don’t think that’s what I said at all is it? I am speaking only in relation to social distancing/shutdown. I literally say in my post there are not going to be any set right or wrong ways to do things, as we’re all going to be fecked one way or another. That’s just a fact.
There’s people on here slagging off old people for going out shopping , slagging people off for going to work, being on the streets and going the gym. Calling people killers amongst others things. Saying the government should have locked down at ‘this time’, calling for draconian measures etc etc. This is what I refer to when I say “experts”. To me it doesn’t look as if these people are able to see the bigger picture.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
France has 1617 new cases and 78 new deaths.

Ludens the Red

I work in a bookies, I'm pretty surprised that they haven't decided to close yet considering there is basically nothing to bet on and most of our customers are older guys.
Paddy power have closed as of an hour ago. Others will follow I presume. But majority of people had long stopped coming in anyway.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No way it can last few years. I mean, the virus can last even more but this closedown will not last more than few months at maximum. I guess we will know more in few weeks, but I doubt everything can stop for more than few months.
Probably a few weeks maximum, any long term lockdowns will do more damage than this virus ever could.

People who think we should all effectively put ourselves in prison indefinitely are just as big a problem as people going on with their lives as nothing is happening, if not more so!

C'est Moi Cantona

Can anyone explain to me what as a sole trader, self employed person, who has kids, is not claiming universal credit, and is seeing business dwindle, what the chancellor has done for me? The Vat thing isn't relevant, and my next tax bill isn't until the end of July.

I'm not having a dig, I am just confused by what I am supposed to do if the money runs out. I have no inclination of going anyway near the reported minefield that universal credit apparently is.

Also the 1.4 million vulnerable who are supposed to self isolate, are they meant to do this alone? As my wife will be on the list (MS), if so I won't be going to work at all.

Rajma

My mum works in the ambulance and they’re overwhelmed currently... I’m so worried for her given that she suffers from hypertension and occasional asthma outbreaks.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Paddy power have closed as of an hour ago. Others will follow I presume. But majority of people had long stopped coming in anyway.
What confused me was that in Ireland since last week Ladbrokes, Boylesports and Paddy Power closed. I'm relatively out of the loop at the moment because I'm on a week's holiday but I'm not sure I will/should be going back to work next week.

Pagh Wraith

Is there any way of explaining the death rate in Germany? How can it be so drastically lower across the country??
This pops up every other day. Most likely explanation is that they are doing way more testing (particularly of people with mild symptoms) than other countries bringing the country's death rate closer to the "true" death rate. Also care capacity hasn't been reached which is Italy's main problem.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Newbie @mehdimike has asked me to relay this question...

Do any of you know any statistics about the rate of recovered asthmatics? (For Covid-19)

The poster is from Iran and his father has asthma, which is prompting the question.
I read somewhere that its high blood pressure that is red mark. Asthma yes, but not as much.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Can anyone explain to me what as a sole trader, self employed person, who has kids, is not claiming universal credit, and is seeing business dwindle, what the chancellor has done for me? The Vat thing isn't relevant, and my next tax bill isn't until the end of July.

I'm not having a dig, I am just confused by what I am supposed to do if the money runs out. I have no inclination of going anyway near the reported minefield that universal credit apparently is.

Also the 1.4 million vulnerable who are supposed to self isolate, are they meant to do this alone? As my wife will be on the list (MS), if so I won't be going to work at all.
In the same boat mate business wise with a wife on state maternity that ends next week.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is there any way of explaining the death rate in Germany? How can it be so drastically lower across the country??
This pops up every other day. Most likely explanation is that they are doing way more testing (particularly of people with mild symptoms) than other countries bringing the country's death rate closer to the "true" death rate. Also care capacity hasn't been reached which is Italy's main problem.
Another popular explanation is that they are attributing deaths to the underlying health condition rather than the catalyst.

arnie_ni

There has to be something annouced next week. Its easy to say we can match 80 percent of salaried employees wages but how do they come up with a figure for self employed people? What do they base it on?

Try and hang in there, there has to be something coming. Has to be

F-Red

It'll come, it's easy to address normal businesses first as it's a simple process with HRMC on working out what people earn. Self employed has many, many, many moving pieces and one cap won't fit all. They need to understand what values they give (presuming every self employed person declares everything they earn to the taxman) back to a self employed person, along with what the mechanic for paying them is. The latter is probably the most difficult.

Ludens the Red

What confused me was that in Ireland since last week Ladbrokes, Boylesports and Paddy Power closed. I'm relatively out of the loop at the moment because I'm on a week's holiday but I'm not sure I will/should be going back to work next week.
No chance they’ll be open next week. My mate works in a hills and he said it’s been dead. No racing, no football, pretty much just the fobts. Completely pointless remaining open at the moment.
Bookies are gonna struggle through this period massively, I used to work in PP and my shop alone we had weekly profits of 8-12k and staff are relatively paid well. Let’s see...

F-Red

Bookies are gonna struggle through this period massively, I used to work in PP and my shop alone we had weekly profits of 8-12k and staff are relatively paid well. Let’s see...
Given the obscene profits they make, they will be the last industry to go under. Morally, my heart weeps for them.