SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Companies are selling masks for enormous prices. At Allegro (Polish eBay) someone has sold 9000 masks for £12 each (they cost £1 in wholesale a week ago). That’s £100k profit in two weeks. Crazy.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Interesting speculation about why kids and women are less susceptible. Smokers seem more at risk and Chinese men are often heavy smokers.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Out of curiosity, where do you get this information from? I haven't read anything to support this and, if anything, it seems that using heat (at least temperatures that could be considered 'hot' because warm water certainly doesn't do anything further) can be an irritant to the hands.
I believe someone pointed you to the WHO guidelines already so I won't repost.

I think I'm seeing the disconnect in the warm vs cold argument. There was a 2017 study that showed water at various temperatures had the same impact on clearing one bacteria. It seems loads of news outlets and the NHS went with it and even used the phrasing "cold water kills as well as warm water". Pretty dangerous if you ask me. The paper literally started with the words "The literature on hand washing, while extensive, often contains conflicting data, and key variables are only superficially studied or not studied at all. " Then they go and do the exact same thing and make all sorts of claims like 10 seconds is enough, cold water is fine, etc.

Anyhow, bottom line is still the same - wash well :)

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
It's not about you though, It's very selfish to think it that way. The risk here is a virus outbreak in another
Selfish? It’s a virus. It happens. And has happened for the entirety of human history. If this was 200 years ago, probably even 100 years ago... it would have done what it was designed to do and wipe out huge proportions of the already ill and elderly. Everything is about extending life these days and preserving the status quo, rather than embracing what we have and what there is to come.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Interesting speculation about why kids and women are less susceptible. Smokers seem more at risk and Chinese men are often heavy smokers.
It's a respiratory illness so it's not surprising that it affects smokers more. Furthermore, China has high levels of pollution so I'm sure that has also been a contributor. This is all speculation though, but it will be interesting to see what links can be drawn between polluted lungs and covid 19.

Revan

Assumptionman
I read an article that suggested that if they hadn't discovered the virus(i.e. just assumed that it was a common influenza), then there wouldn't have been any panic whatsoever.

I was in Japan during the swine flu of 2009. One of the people I lived with got it, but no one else in the dorm(15 people total) got any symptoms. Granted, this guy quarantined himself for a week and got a million different pills from the doctor. He also had his own bathroom, which definitely helped.

The swine flu was supposedly much worse than this, if I'm not mistaken? Yet for some reason people seemed quite calm in comparison to now. Are we more jittery these days or is this actually much worse than we think?
The mortality rate of this one is much higher. If it is as contagious as swine flu, then tens of millions of people will die. Swine lu was super contagious but I am not sure that it was more deadly than the regular flu.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
The mortality rate of this one is much higher. If it is as contagious as swine flu, then tens of millions of people will die. Swine lu was super contagious but I am not sure that it was more deadly than the regular flu.
Spanish flu may be the best comparison? 2-3% mortality. That one didn't work out well.

Revan

Assumptionman
Philosophy? Sure you found the right guy? Check his video history if want an idea of his qualifications, looks like he's been teaching anatomy most his adult life, I gave up scrolling after a few hundred vids.
Ph.D. literally means Doctor of Philosophy (for historical reasons). You can have a PhD in engineering or science, and it will still be called Doctor of Philosophy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Spanish flu may be the best comparison? 2-3% mortality. That one didn't work out well.
We also didn't have antibiotics for secondary bacterial infections that would have occurred, nor the medical infrastructure. If we were to have an Spanish flu today, I think the mortality rate would be much lower than 2-3% of 1917.

Fener1907

I believe someone pointed you to the WHO guidelines already so I won't repost.

I think I'm seeing the disconnect in the warm vs cold argument. There was a 2017 study that showed water at various temperatures had the same impact on clearing one bacteria. It seems loads of news outlets and the NHS went with it and even used the phrasing "cold water kills as well as warm water". Pretty dangerous if you ask me. The paper literally started with the words "The literature on hand washing, while extensive, often contains conflicting data, and key variables are only superficially studied or not studied at all. " Then they go and do the exact same thing and make all sorts of claims like 10 seconds is enough, cold water is fine, etc.

Anyhow, bottom line is still the same - wash well :)
Not really, but I found a few different videos on WHO's youtube page like mentioned and they don't say anything about temperature, just the basics about soap and water. And the stuff I've read about water temperature also came from studies not connected to anything in 2017. Overall, myself included, it seems people can get bogged down in those details when what you've concluded with is sound advice. It's not that the temperature, soap or length of the handwash that are any single decisive factors, but instead the vigorousness of it.

So, get stuck in, your dirty bastards.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
We also didn't have antibiotics for secondary bacterial infections that would have occurred, nor the medical infrastructure. If we were to have an Spanish flu today, I think the mortality rate would be much lower than 2-3% of 1917.
That's very true. Going through a secondary myself right now.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Ph.D. literally means Doctor of Philosophy (for historical reasons). You can have a PhD in engineering or science, and it will still be called Doctor of Philosophy.
He's got his PhD listed as "teaching bioscience in national and international nurse education". Probably legit but looks odd to me.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Got a trip to Milan/Como booked for the beginning of April :nervous:

Really need the foreign office to advise against travel to Italy so I can cancel it and claim the money back through insurance.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Got a trip to Milan/Como booked for the beginning of April :nervous:

Really need the foreign office to advise against travel to Italy so I can cancel it and claim the money back through insurance.
I know what you mean.. I've got a trip up to Glasgow in June which I'm now extremely concerned about.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm genuinely terrified of what will happen when this virus comes into contact with someone who's cells are completely saturated with Irn-Bru and Buckfast.

I can't understand why Italy is talking about relaxing restrictions when it's still clearly nowhere near under control. 250 new cases today.

madzo2007

First presumptive case in Northern Ireland tonight

Person traveled back from Italy through Dublin and has self quarantined themselves since.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I can't understand why Italy is talking about relaxing restrictions when it's still clearly nowhere near under control. 250 new cases today.
The economy has come to a standstill but if this goes wrong it will be much worse in the long run.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's got his PhD listed as "teaching bioscience in national and international nurse education". Probably legit but looks odd to me.
That is very odd and totally unconventional. If you are also teaching at university, then typically go with Prof. Dr. Name Surname (though the prof in some countries is used exclusively if you have got tenured, so an assistant professor cannot use it).

'Teaching stuff and doing things' is not a title.

Grib

Tutor in our work said their kid came home from skiing and one of the kids was really sick and told to isolate and not get tested

Seemed to think cus her kid got swabbed they'll be fine..

Wouldn't be surprised if it's from one of those trips, they all shared planes back as far as I can tell

Edit - told not to go to the hospital I'm sure they were tested someway

Paxi

Tutor in our work said their kid came home from skiing and one of the kids was really sick and told to isolate and not get tested

Seemed to think cus her kid got swabbed they'll be fine..

Wouldn't be surprised if it's from one of those trips, they all shared planes back as far as I can tell

Edit - told not to go to the hospital I'm sure they were tested someway
I'm only off the phone to my wee brother and he knows this person, personally it seems. Feck it's a bit surreal. He told me the person's name and where what town they're from. I'm obviously not going to disclose that information but word travels fast in NI.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Fairly substantial warnings coming out within government offices here. Seems a breakout is imminent.

Grib

I'm only off the phone to my wee brother and he knows this person, personally it seems. Feck it's a bit surreal. He told me the person's name and where what town they're from. I'm obviously not going to disclose that information but word travels fast in NI.
How wee is your brother haha, is it a school kid right enough?

I've been trying to get them to close our office to unnecessary traffic and put a stop to students handing in paper assignments (there's a perfect good online platform to do this anyway) but think they thought I was half joking due to my nature ><

Paxi

How wee is your brother haha, is it a school kid right enough?

I've been trying to get them to close our office to unnecessary traffic and put a stop to students handing in paper assignments (there's a perfect good online platform to do this anyway) but think they thought I was half joking due to my nature ><
He's 18. I didn't ask the age of the person but presumably they're around the same age, give or take a couple of years.