SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

arnie_ni

First presumptive case in Northern Ireland tonight

Person traveled back from Italy through Dublin and has self quarantined themselves since.
Surely the damage is already done in the airport with 1000s of people

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Christ, looks a bit much. It only talks about gas, but I guess if it can block that, it will stop all other virusy particles?
No

You need an N95 mask for that.

And most masks don't fit well enough to give you full protection anyway with air flowing round the sides when you breath in.

That said any mask provides some protection even if only a limited amount. If nothing else if people with the disease sneeze a mask will reduce the transmission of the virus to other people by reducing spray.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It would be a shame if it spread to the US and Trump got infected. I mean he's quite old.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It would be a shame if it spread to the US and Trump got infected. I mean he's quite old.
Won't happen. If Donald contracts the virus Mike Pence will cure him instantly through the power of prayer. Or he dies and Mike Pence becomes President.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We know it's zoonotic but we've no idea which animal it came from.
Both of the other novel corona viruses have originated from bats with humans getting the virus from an intermediary species (one was a camel I think). So it is likely this one was also of bat origins.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Won't happen. If Donald contracts the virus Mike Pence will cure him instantly through the power of prayer. Or he dies and Mike Pence becomes President.
Mike Pence v Sanders for president. I'd fancy Bernie's chances in that race

Owngoalscorer

with a huge amount of luck it'll get both of em... Mass infection of world leaders at some conference or other anyone ??

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
No

You need an N95 mask for that.

And most masks don't fit well enough to give you full protection anyway with air flowing round the sides when you breath in.

That said any mask provides some protection even if only a limited amount. If nothing else if people with the disease sneeze a mask will reduce the transmission of the virus to other people by reducing spray.
I think an N95 is the US equivalent of an FFP2. You can pick up the slightly better FFP3's in the uk fairly easily.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Both of the other novel corona viruses have originated from bats with humans getting the virus from an intermediary species (one was a camel I think). So it is likely this one was also of bat origins.
Heard something about it coming from a pangolin -- can't fathom why people would eat such an animal, I know they're considered a delicacy but seriously.. :houllier:

Paxi

What an absolutely colossal feck up :eek:
We all thought Trump would feck the world up somehow but few would have imagined it would be a total botch job of a contagion.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
with a huge amount of luck it'll get both of em... Mass infection of world leaders at some conference or other anyone ??
Never happen, despite many of them being in the age range, you can guarantee no really powerful World leaders will get taken out by it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Heard something about it coming from a pangolin -- can't fathom why people would eat such an animal, I know they're considered a delicacy but seriously.. :houllier:
Snakes have also been mentioned. I doubt they know yet.

Dante

Average bang
I reckon I've already had covid-19 and got over it.

I was in London last weekend. When I came back home, I had a bit of a sniffle and some aching muscles during the afternoon/evening. After a decent sleep I was alright again the next day.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Paxi

Um what? For the love of God not our pets.

Paxi

Snakes have also been mentioned. I doubt they know yet.
A biological spillover have been mentioned a few pages back too. :lol:

Though, who knows? It's literally that or the wet market.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I reckon I've already had covid-19 and got over it.

I was in London last weekend. When I came back home, I had a bit of a sniffle and some aching muscles during the afternoon/evening. After a decent sleep I was alright again the next day.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.
What did you eat and drink? You might have found the cure!

Dante

Average bang
Those chinese wet markets were bound to be the epicentre of some new virus.

Disgusting places.
The last couple of pandemics came for pigs (swine flu) and birds (avian flu).

The jump from species to species could just as easily happen from dogs, cats, gerbils, hamsters or rabbits. Hell, we all know that the Black Death came from rats.

The disgusting nature of the wet markets is only tangentially relevant.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

It was probably from Pangolin-rimming. The caf has a history with that sort of thing.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm actually glad to be heading to Europe soon. If it explodes in the US I don't want to rely on US healthcare to save my ass.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Just watched a YouTube video on a wet market (Not Wuhan) but absolutely disgusting and packed to the rafters.

Revan

Assumptionman
Stock Market has taken a hit this week over the CV.
A worldwide (proportional) index fund has been hit around 10%, I guess that individual companies (especially the always overvalued tech companies) have been hit harder.

Tesla -25%
Nvidia -17%
Apple -15%
Microsoft -14%
Amazon -13%
Google -13%
Facebook -10%

A recession has to be inevitable.

Paxi

A worldwide (proportional) index fund has been hit around 10%, I guess that individual companies (especially the always overvalued tech companies) have been hit harder.

Tesla -25%
Nvidia -17%
Apple -15%
Microsoft -14%
Amazon -13%
Google -13%
Facebook -10%

Nasdaq is lowest since 2009 I think.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Tesla -25%
Nvidia -17%
Apple -15%
Microsoft -14%
Amazon -13%
Google -13%
Facebook -10%

Why? These stocks aren't down because the companies are performing badly. They're down because of panic from the virus.

Revan

Assumptionman
Why? These stocks aren't down because the companies are performing badly. They're down because of panic from the virus.
And the panic will last. Factories in China are closed, and this will affect the production and the next quarter earnings.

Add to that, the companies were already overvalued (Telsa has a 100+ p/e ratio for example), so a large correction was going to happen anyway. Corona just bringing it faster (and probably more severe).