SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

The stats for UK are taking a different path to Italy and Spain in the last 4 days. Italy went up by 600 in the same time the UK‘s have gone up 230. It is encouraging but let’s not get excited yet.
Deaths are unfortunately among the least relevant statistics at this stage. Good to see a low figure as it means less people died today, but it's the growth of new cases that is most important at this point.

Classical Mechanic

Deaths are unfortunately among the least relevant statistics at this stage. Good to see a low figure as it means less people died today, but it's the growth of new cases that is most important at this point.
Why is it? New cases is dependent on the amount of testing done. I think people want to see less dead people as the most important marker.

Dante

Average bang
No chickens counted here. One day at a time.
Definitely. Good news, though.

I think it's been several weeks since the handwashing advice first started being transmitted. It definitely seemed to take hold in a lot of people, from what I recall. Hopefully we're seeing the start of something good.

But it'll take a couple more days of levelling off before I start getting optimistic.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Landed Doha from Phuket.. Very quiet, feels like safest place on planet! But it is 1am. Great service from Qatar Airways so far and Phuket airport was also amazing in terms of hygiene protocols.

Read some terrible reports about Heathrow in UK media today so fear Heathrow covid19 protocols won’t get close to Phuket or Doha airport. Hope Heathrow have sorted out their act by now

Flight is abit surreal. You’re very conscious on covid19 threat, but then get into a movie and forget. But then you suddenly remember about the real threat of infection because you’re wearing a mask.

Inside the mask heats up so feels like nose and mouth are in a permanent sauna, while rest of body is normal! Very strange and annoying sensation!

Classical Mechanic

The same stage as the UK are today? According to that table Spain had 1813 deaths at the same stage
I’ve been counting since when those countries hit about 200 cases because that’s when the exponential growth really exploded. Handily Italy and the UK were both on 233 at one point.

I think it's several weeks since the handwashing advice first started being transmitted. It definitely seemed to take hold in a lot of people, from what I recall. Hopefully we're seeing the start of something good.

But it'll take a couple more days of levelling off before I start getting optimistic.
My guess is that it would more be to do with logistical factors, demographics and the general health of populations, more those type of things.

Why is it? New cases is dependent on the amount of testing done. I think people want to see less dead people as the most important marker.
Total cases are important because they show whether the control measures are working to slow growth.
Active cases are important so you can see how close to your healthcare capacity you are.

People dying is obviously a big deal, but for measuring the pandemic they're not especially useful at this stage. Death rates are sheer chance until we develop treatments for it, but if the cases grow the deaths will follow.

Fully Fledged

I think it's been several weeks since the handwashing advice first started being transmitted. It definitely seemed to take hold in a lot of people, from what I recall. Hopefully we're seeing the start of something good.

Yeah. We need more days like today.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Landed Doha from Phuket.. Very quiet, feels like safest place on planet! But it is 1am. Great service from Qatar Airways so far and Phuket airport was also amazing in terms of hygiene protocols.

Read some terrible reports about Heathrow in UK media today so fear Heathrow covid19 protocols won’t get close to Phuket or Doha airport. Hope Heathrow have sorted out their act by now

Flight is abit surreal. You’re very conscious on covid19 threat, but then get into a movie and forget. But then you suddenly remember about the real threat of infection because you’re wearing a mask.

Inside the mask heats up so feels like nose and mouth are in a permanent sauna, while rest of body is normal! Very strange and annoying sensation!
Did you eat and drink, swiftly lifting the mask though?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sure, average age was 62 I think, so much older than any given country. I think something like 20% had serious symptoms though. That must surely be well in advance of what is predicted for the 60+ age bracket if the Oxford study is modelling a vulnerable population of 1% for society as a whole.

I'm concerned they've retrospectively adapted certain variables in their model order to arrive at something that mirrors the current UK death rate. I would hope they've used the same model to predict how we'll fare over the coming days and weeks.
Yeah I know feck all about the details of this Oxford model but it does seem pretty suspect. One for the epidemiologists to argue about!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What’s the news from Italy today?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Deaths much more relevant than cases in the Uk, where they’ve done a fair bit less testing per capita than a lot of other countries.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The stats for UK are taking a different path to Italy and Spain in the last 4 days. Italy went up by 600 in the same time the UK‘s have gone up 230. It is encouraging but let’s not get excited yet.
Deaths are highly dependend on the demographics (mainly age) of the diseased population. Get a care home infected and you have a dozen new cases on that list.

What’s the news from Italy today?
Slight improvement again but still not out of the woods.

Active cases reduced for the fourth day in a row and total new cases are on a slight downward trend too.

TheGame

I just wanted to query something regarding social distancing. If a family who is in a house visit another family in a house, and both go no where else, can they still catch Coronavirus if they are going straight from house to house e.g in car and then out of car. Just had a query from someone when we were discussing but didn’t have the answer so just wondered what people thought. We were discussing how the virus could be caught.

LordNinio

I’ve been counting since when those countries hit about 200 cases because that’s when the exponential growth really exploded. Handily Italy and the UK were both on 233 at one point.

My guess is that it would more be to do with logistical factors, demographics and the general health of populations, more those type of things.
Right OK, I see. By my reckoning that would still have put Spain on 638, somewhere between Italy and the UK.

Much closer than the other table though.

Personally I'd start it nearer the 100 deaths mark myself, which would put Spain at around 900/1000 which seems to reflect what's happening to them.

Only time will tell though.

Deaths much more relevant than cases in the Uk, where they’ve done a fair bit less testing per capita than a lot of other countries.
It's good for headlines but it doesn't tell you much about how the outbreak is progressing, and that's what everybody should be worried about most at the moment. Deaths are never talked about by governments in terms of controlling the outbreak because you can't control them. As long as the testing criteria remains constant it shows you the trend you are in and that's what is being studied.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I just wanted to query something regarding social distancing. If a family who is in a house visit another family in a house, and both go no where else, can they still catch Coronavirus if they are going straight from house to house e.g in car and then out of car. Just had a query from someone when we were discussing but didn’t have the answer so just wondered what people thought. We were discussing how the virus could be caught.
Yes, it's a stupid idea and against the rules (in the UK) so tell them to forget about it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Did you eat and drink, swiftly lifting the mask though?
Yes! And felt super weirdly vulnerable. Also also-wipes down my tv, seat elbow, and dining tray. Feels utterly bizzare and insane, but maybe it’s a sneak peak into a new reality, just like air travel fundamentally changed after 9/11.

As it’s my first time on a plane during convid19 crisis, it’s all new experiences and have no idea what twists and plots are around the corner!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
My friend who works for British steel has basically been told that his job is essential and must keep going, which is fair enough. The thing is he's also been told that if he catches it (already two confirmed cases of people he knows) then he will be sacked.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’d say yes they can catch it, someone in house a could have it asymptomatic and travel and infect house b

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
If both families have not left their homes for even one second for the last two weeks, it would be very unlikely anyone of them were exposed/infected. It's not a realistic scenario though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
My friend who works for British steel has basically been told that his job is essential and must keep going, which is fair enough. The thing is he's also been told that if he catches it (already two confirmed cases of people he knows) then he will be sacked.
Well that fecking sucks. Unbelievable.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Yes! And felt super weirdly vulnerable. Also also-wipes down my tv, seat elbow, and dining tray. Feels utterly bizzare and insane, but maybe it’s a sneak peak into a new reality, just like air travel fundamentally changed after 9/11.

As it’s my first time on a plane during convid19 crisis, it’s all new experiences and have no idea what twists and plots are around the corner!
I would say being on a plane would be one of the safest places from the virus since the air is refreshed every few minutes.

Fully Fledged

Hopefully if he is forced to go in against his will he could sue if they sack him for catching the virus. I don't know as I'm not a lawyer.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So worldometer is on 464683 cases in the world with 20942 deaths today. That's 4,5% death percentage today, 25th of march.

But I think we can safetly say that the number of infected is at least twice the official number, probably even more.

GeorgieBoy

They wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they did that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Not much you can do re drinks on a long haul I guess. Cleaning trays etc is a good move anytime I guess, given people stick their heads and feet on them.
When I left Singapore to fly back to Heathrow on 13 March it was a different world- no heat camera testing and only one thing of hand sanitiser in the whole damn terminal.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
1) get job for British Steel
2) lick toilet seat
3) get sacked by British Steel
4) profit

That's my Thursday planned out then.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I would say being on a plane would be one of the safest places from the virus since the air is refreshed every few minutes.
Yeah. It’s not the air that the problem.

It’s if you’re unfortunate to be seated within 2 seats of an unknowing infected person (includes flight attendants).

Was surprised to see maybe 30% not wearing a mask which is really irresponsible. Am sitting in Doha - London waiting lounge full of Brit’s now and loads (but still minority) not wearing a mask of any sort. I don’t get this bravado or ignorance or whatever it is.

The N95 mask is not 100% guaranteed, and you also have to take it off to eat/drink or just for a few seconds to cool the inside down.

Also you’re vulnerable to touching surfaces that may have been infected, eg bathroom handle etc. I have a very strong hand spray that gives me 2-3 hours sanitised protection, so am very mindful of that ritual (have set up alarms on my watch).

As i wrote, it’s lots of new habits and making sure you remember them all! Hope to God this is last time have to fly like this and science can save us!

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's good for headlines but it doesn't tell you much about how the outbreak is progressing, and that's what everybody should be worried about most at the moment. Deaths are never talked about by governments in terms of controlling the outbreak because you can't control them. As long as the testing criteria remains constant it shows you the trend you are in and that's what is being studied.
The testing criteria aren’t consistent though. They vary, from country to country, and change over time. To be honest, I think the main reason governments focus on cases rather than deaths is a combination of not wanting to make the problem seem smaller than it is and not wanting to seem too morbid.

Here’s a good graph on deaths. Uk trending towards being possibly slightly worse than Italy but not as bad as Spain.