SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Really? I take it you haven’t followed this closely then? ‘cos the messages we’ve been receiving from the government have flip flopped week to week.
It’s not hard to follow updated advice if you are following closely as you suggest you are.
Current advice is stay the feck in the house unless it’s essential travel or work. That’s not fecking hard to understand.

The amount of people being childish over this using words such as loopholes just to poke holes and find criticism in what’s going on So they can carry in their normal lives or look clever is crazy.

Just stay in the fecking house

hubbuh

It’s not hard to follow updated advice if you are following closely as you suggest you are.
Current advice is stay the feck in the house unless it’s essential travel or work. That’s not fecking hard to understand.

The amount of people being childish over this using words such as loopholes just to poke holes and find criticism in what’s going on So they can carry in their normal lives or look clever is crazy.

Just stay in the fecking house
Absolute bollocks, a few days ago Boris Johnson was talking about people enjoying parks and spending time outdoors for fecks sake!! Yes, lots of people have known for a while that they need to stay indoors and minismise contact with others, but denying the mixed messages that have been relayed is sheer lunacy.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Chester Zoo are doing a virtual visit, today on Facebook live, for those who like zoos and are bored at home.

I think it sounds fun.

Kicks off at ten with the red pandas.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Absolute bollocks, a few days ago Boris Johnson was talking about people enjoying parks and spending time outdoors for fecks sake!! Yes, lots of people have known for a while that they need to stay indoors and minismise contact with others, but denying the mixed messages that have been relayed is sheer lunacy.
No he wasn't. The message has been consistent for the past 7 days. Some people did not follow the guidance and took go for a walk in the park as take the whole family 50 miles away to the beach. He has had to repeat the same message day after day. Stay home, stay safe. Simple.

redshaw

Regarding USA and the hype around becoming number one with 85k cases. For a western country of 330 million, to be on par with a typical large European country it would be 300k cases, US is still early so don't be alarmed when it hits 300-400k and has 5-8x the deaths. Most of the US area doesn't have the population density but we see it spreading eventually in European countries with more space and less contact culture than say Spain or Italy so it will work through US and US health is a concern.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
No he wasn't. The message has been consistent for the past 7 days. Some people did not follow the guidance and took go for a walk in the park as take the whole family 50 miles away to the beach. He has had to repeat the same message day after day. Stay home, stay safe. Simple.
I mean the government have changed the wording on their own website a few times, so it hasn’t been consistent has it?

Steve Bruce

Taking a thread off topic
Yeah, if only they could find someone in the mould of Boris Johnson!
Just shows you how unelectable corbyn was when the torts won a landslide with a leader that a lot of people seen as a comedy side show for years

botond

Regarding USA and the hype around becoming number one with 85k cases. For a western country of 330 million, to be on par with a typical large European country it would be 300k cases, US is still early so don't be alarmed when it hits 300-400k and has 5-8x the deaths. Most of the US area doesn't have the population density but we see it spreading eventually in European countries with more space and less contact culture than say Spain or Italy so it will work through US and US health is a concern.

The US dark figures are way above 300k imo

Steve Bruce

How anyone can still have any faith in Boris Johnson’s judgement calls is beyond me (as if it wasn’t already).

Er, that’s not exactly fair mate. Bruce was using this as an opportunity to lambast Labour and Sweet made a tongue-in-cheek comment to me, after I took umbrage to the needless Corbyn/Labour-bashing.

Theirs been plenty of bashing all round. If your that easily offended, your in for a hard life. I have my views like everyone else. If you don't agree with them that's your prerogative but I'll not be losing any sleep over it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Carry on finding your loopholes

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah, that number was always going to be reached. The real metric we should be watching is number of Waffle Houses closing; it is over 400 now. Those things stay open during hurricanes and probably even some zombie apocalypses also I would assume.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/business/coronavirus-waffle-house-trnd/index.html

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Clap for Carers is great, but I've seen a lot of pictures of people standing outside their houses in large groups. How's that going to help the NHS?
I've not seen this. I've seen plenty of what look like larger households together. 5-6 people. Otherwise everyone over 2 metres apart.

Virgil

Yeah, if only they could find someone in the mould of Boris Johnson!
Just shows you how unelectable corbyn was when the torts won a landslide with a leader that a lot of people seen as a comedy side show for years
Let’s forget that the world is fighting the worse pandemic its probably ever faced. Let’s carry on being pillocks and morons and arguing whether the dicks I support are better than the dicks that you support. Go have your childish rants in one of the political threads as this is about Covid 19

Peak infection rate will happen over the next two weeks if one excludes the days when the people contaminated was relatively low (depending on testing capacity).
It will become "Italy/Spain" kind of bad if you run out of capacity for ICU and especially respirators, which is likely some places.
2-3 weeks after lockdown one will start seeing that the number of new infections starts to go down. Then one can begin to actively/aggressively test, track and isolate (Too late to use resources on this now at this phase). Then it will be a case of cat and mouse (loosening restrictions, actively test, tighten up when there are new cases) until there are effective treatment methods and/or a vaccine available.
It took 3-4 weeks after lockdowns started for China to really see that they had the virus under control. Italy is 3 weeks in and seems to be right at the top of the curve now. I don't think the UK will see the worst within the next two weeks considering how loose the regulations are and how many people are flouting them, but ultimately i don't think the UK will have it as bad because of how British people live.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just watching some of Trumps press conference and note that Pence stands really close to him.... there are people in the Amazon forest who know about the 2 metre rule?!!

Imagine if one of them caught it and gave it to the other one... the President and Vice President could both die.

Just imagine.....
All the people living in harmony
Woohoo

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
feck. A 16 year old with no underlying health conditions has passed away in France.

I managed to take a step back from this but its still so concerning.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I've not seen this. I've seen plenty of what look like larger households together. 5-6 people. Otherwise everyone over 2 metres apart.

This was London last night at 8.00pm according to a Tommeh Robinson supporter

feck. A 16 year old with no underlying health conditions has passed away in France.

I managed to take a step back from this but its still so concerning.
I suppose a small and slightly morbid consolation is that about 1,000 people under 35 die of flu in the US per year. It's not exclusive to this virus, although rare, young people can be hit hard by respiratory diseases.

Fosu-Mens

It took 3-4 weeks after lockdowns started for China to really see that they had the virus under control. Italy is 3 weeks in and seems to be right at the top of the curve now. I don't think the UK will see the worst within the next two weeks considering how loose the regulations are and how many people are flouting them, but ultimately i don't think the UK will have it as bad because of how British people live.
Higher obesity/overweight rate, asthma double of Italy, a lower rate of diabetes(strange given obesity rate?) and fewer smokers. So, might be around the same, but the UK got half the number of ICU beds per capita compared to Italy.

The big unknown for the UK is the number of tests performed until the current date. How many are actually infected or got contained before the "lockdown"?

How are the regulations now in layman's terms?

F-Red

The big unknown for the UK is the number of tests performed until the current date. How many are actually infected or got contained before the "lockdown"?
I think it’ll be a difficult to come to a conclusion on that, we’re only testing when people are being called in for an emergency. The testing programme will need to be far and wide, and probably contact tracing will be the only way to truly understand the success of lockdown measures.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Has anyone been following the testing being conducted in Iceland? Lots of encouraging news from there in my opinion.

3.4% of entire population tested. Early estimates are that 50% of cases are asymptotic, majority of the rest experience moderate cold like symptoms. A genetics company called deCode's been doing free voluntary testing. A week old update shows that of 5571 tests 48 returned as positive. That's 0.86% of the sample and if stretched to the entire population would imply 3,462 infections at that point. Of course a voluntary test is not strictly random, but it has been conducted only on asymptotic people.

As of today official figures only show 802 found cases, of which 82 have recovered, 17 have been hospitalised, 3 are in ICUs and 2 have died.

Obviously the majority of found cases are still in the balance but if the world's most effective testing scheme is only capturing 25% of actual cases then that's surely good news. Especially since of known cases relatively few have so far required hospital attention and even fewer an ICU.

It's possible that testing means they're just out in front of the disease and so picking up people earlier in its progression. Numbers might get worse but as of right now it looks pretty decent over there.

Last edited:

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Starting to wonder that instead of countries having conscription for the military that at the age of about 16 the population as a whole should have to spend a year getting the basics of nursing down. It could help if could mobilise a large amount of care workers in these situations going forward.

Fosu-Mens

I think it’ll be a difficult to come to a conclusion on that, we’re only testing when people are being called in for an emergency. The testing programme will need to be far and wide, and probably contact tracing will be the only way to truly understand the success of lockdown measures.
Seriously? That's bad.

Yeah, a South Korean approach seems to be the most proactive, but I think it is a little too late for that in the UK. When the "lockdown" starts showing effect and one can say there is some control, then testing and contact tracing can be applied again on a large scale. Now it is about stopping it from spreading more and ride the storm.

Higher obesity/overweight rate, asthma double of Italy, a lower rate of diabetes(strange given obesity rate?) and fewer smokers. So, might be around the same, but the UK got half the number of ICU beds per capita compared to Italy.

How are the regulations now in layman's terms?
In the UK or in Italy?

In the UK it seems staying at home is more of a suggestion, there are many valid reasons to go out and it's near impossible to police everybody. I have some friends taking it seriously, some not so much.

In Italy you can't go outside unless you are an essential worker, you have medical appointments or you are going grocery shopping, and even then only to the nearest store. There are police and roadblocks everywhere and we even have army helicopters buzzing the town from time to time to remind us they are watching.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The French are warning of bad news in the coming days. The US are moving hospital ships to NYC and LA.

Trying times ahead.

Fosu-Mens

In the UK or in Italy?

In the UK it seems staying at home is more of a suggestion, there are many valid reasons to go out and it's near impossible to police everybody.

In Italy you can't go outside unless you are an essential worker, you have medical appointments or you are going grocery shopping, and even then only to the nearest store. There are police and roadblocks everywhere and we even have army helicopters buzzing the town from time to time to remind us they are watching.
From a UK point of view: Fatter, more asthma, half the % of ICU beds per capita. But fewer smokers and less diabetes.

So, people are allowed to do as they like? Walking around while potentially infected? Then I retract my original statement regarding 2-3 weeks, given there is no actual lockdown, only suggestions.

Italy got the right of it, after some time. The only way to somewhat stop the spread when it gets to a certain stage.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Has anyone been following the testing being conducted in Iceland? Lots of encouraging news from there in my opinion.

3.4% of entire population tested. Early estimates are that 50% of cases are asymptotic, majority of the rest experience moderate cold like symptoms. A genetics company called deCode's been doing free voluntary testing. A week old update shows that of 5571 tests 48 returned as positive. That's 0.86% of the sample and if stretched to the entire population would imply 3,462 infections at that point. Of course a voluntary test is not strictly random, but it has been conducted only on asymptotic people.

As of today official figures only show 802 found cases, of which 82 have recovered, 17 have been hospitalised, 3 are in ICUs and 2 have died.

Obviously the majority of found cases are still in the balance but if the world's most effective testing scheme is only capturing 25% of actual cases then that's surely good news. Especially since of known cases relatively few have so far required hospital attention and even fewer an ICU.

It's possible that testing means they're just out in front of the disease and so picking up people earlier in its progression. Numbers might get worse but as of right now it looks pretty decent over there.
Apparently, 50% of Diamond Princess cases also tested positive with no symptoms, but more than 50% of those went on to develop symptoms later on.

Last edited:

From a UK point of view: Fatter, more asthma, half the % of ICU beds per capita. But fewer smokers and less diabetes.

So, people are allowed to do as they like? Walking around while potentially infected? Then I retract my original statement regarding 2-3 weeks, given there is no actual lockdown, only suggestions.

Italy got the right of it, after some time. The only way to somewhat stop the spread when it gets to a certain stage.
In the UK you are not supposed to go out, but you can if you need to work, if you want to exercise, if you have a dog to walk, if you want to go grocery shopping, etc. etc. etc.

It's similar to Italy's restrictions in the early days and it didn't work.

onemanarmy

Bad news from Belgium, 69 new fatalities and 1.049 new cases.

And weirdest news: a cat has been confirmed with Covid-19 in Liège...

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It seems like hospitals are not really well designed for infectious disease care. Is that why they are putting together that London facility at Excel? I'm sure being able to control the movements of staff is better when you have a giant dedicated facility. Hospital ships and maybe requisitioned cruise liners would be ideal.