SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The discrepancy with Israel is likely due to a much more extensive testing program.

(Edit): full list:

You don't find it strange to see Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria in the Middle East?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If the test is inaccurate it's a problem. Tests I think have a 75% accuracy if I'm not mistaken. At least that was the case 3 weeks ago.
75%? I’ve not seen that, are the 25% false negatives or false positives?

Steven Seagull

Ok heres a question for you guys . I,m in a bit of a dilema . Self employed and i work almost exclusively in peoples homes . I,m in a limited company so i qualify for very little help from the government , which is fine , i do understand . Currently the direction from the gov is to carry on work if you cannot work from home . This weeks job has cancelled as a close neighbour to where i was due to be working has cancer and i would have to walk through communal areas ( the apartment i was due to be working in is unnocupied )
Next week my customers are very keen to have me work for them and the two rooms i am working in are also unnocupied , also they have a spare bathroom i could use . The following week i.m due to be working on an outside of a house . Its in a terraced street and the customer is living in scotland for the duration of the pandemic so this house is also empty . Ive spoken to lots of other trades lads that more often than not lone work and they on the whole think we should follow the guidelines and work where possible .
What do you lot think ?

ps for clarity i,m in the UK
I’d swerve this week but you will be ok to work on the empty terraced house.

FrantikChicken

Don't you have to have any sort of insurance to be entitled to healthcare? I don't really have any idea how it works as I've never work abroad but I've heard this repeated multiple times.
You don't. They're either working here without having registered for a National Insurance Number / GP, which would be really dumb as it takes about a day to get all that sorted, or they've simply gone back home to be with their families during this difficult time which is quite understandable.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
75%? I’ve not seen that, are the 25% false negatives or false positives?
Feck knows. My wife works at a hospital and told me a few weeks ago their tests were only 75% accuracy. One of her patients was negative.. And after a retest she was positive. In that window lots of nurses and pharmacists were close to the patient thinking it was OK to be around them.

Might have improved since though.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
You don't find it strange to see Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria in the Middle East?
Not really, they’re often lumped in with the rest. MENA would obviously be a more appropriate label.

But it will find its way on the packaging. As soon as that person wearing gloves picks their nose or wipes their mouth or coughs into gloved hand

Gloves may stop you personally getting something on your hands but it sure as shit doesn’t stop the spreading of it

Edit: also, am I right about it lasting Hours or days on hard surfaces (gloves) and only 5-10 minutes on skin. I can’t find where I seen that Info now, there’s so much about.
What’s your thoughts on that
It's not perfect, but like i said upthread, the goal of this is not to totally stop transmission. It's to slow it down, and various protection measures such as gloves help that. Same goes for alcohol gel, its not perfect as it takes up to a minute to kill the virus and that only applies to areas that get properly coated.

There is research so far that shows how long it survives on surfaces but i haven't seen one that looks at time on skin.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Feck knows. My wife works at a hospital and told me a few weeks ago their tests were only 75% accuracy. One of her patients was negative.. And after a retest she was positive. In that window lots of nurses and pharmacists were close to the patient thinking it was OK to be around them.

That doesn’t confirm an incorrect test, it could just suggest that the patient contracted the disease between tests.

worldgonemad

I’d swerve this week but you will be ok to work on the empty terraced house.
Thanks mate , for clarity this is what the gov guidelines are :

If you cannot work from home then you can still travel for work purposes, provided you are not showing coronavirus symptoms and neither you nor any of your household are self-isolating. This is consistent with advice from the Chief Medical Officer.

Employers who have people in their offices or onsite should ensure that employees are able to follow Public Health England guidelines including, where possible, maintaining a 2 metre distance from others, and washing their hands with soap and water often for at least 20 seconds (or using hand sanitiser gel if soap and water is not available).

Work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance, can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms. Again, it will be important to ensure that Public Health England guidelines, including maintaining a 2 metre distance from any household occupants, are followed to ensure everyone’s safety.

No work should be carried out in any household which is isolating or where an individual is being shielded, unless it is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repairs, and where the tradesperson is willing to do so. In such cases, Public Health England can provide advice to tradespeople and households.

No work should be carried out by a tradesperson who has coronavirus symptoms, however mild.

bolded the relevant part .

mav_9me

Different tests. You are taking about pcr for detection of virus. The Germans are talking about detection of antibodies.

PCR sensitivity is not great, possible false negatives. If clinical picture is consistent you have to send at least 2 if not 3 or 4 specimens.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That doesn’t confirm an incorrect test, it could just suggest that the patient contracted the disease between tests.
It could, but is unlikely given they were hopsitalised in a ward segregated away from covid patients at the time. It could have happened but it's unlikely is all.

From a quick google: RT-PCR tests detected it correctly 71 percent of the time.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So has Tom Hanks caught it again?
This is interesting.

Any downsides / negatives to this?
Antibodies are produced after like 10 days after the initial infection. These antibodies test is quite different to the other PCR/RNA testing which can detect the presence of the virus almost from Day One onwards. The downside to PCR/RNA testing is that its very susceptible to human error. The swabs need to be done correctly when collecting the sample or it will skew the test results. Then the storage of the swab has to be stored correctly at a low temperature of like 4 degrees or below. Then it has to be delivered to the nearest lab, too long and the sample quality deteriorates.

The antibodies test kits, on the other hand, are POCT ie they are at the point of care where the blood is drawn from the finger, then drops of blood are then dropped into a self-contained cassette. Then you wait for 5-10 minutes for the result. Room temperature storage.
Less prone to human error/test accuracy but its antibodies so it basically tells you that you have it (or not) only after your body produces antibodies, which is like 10 days later.

Imo PCR kits which are more expensive but in theory more accurate, are for frontline workers and high-risk individuals.
The cheaper antibodies kits are better for those who have been home isolated/quarantined or those who live in rural communities. They as the professor has suggested, can do a self-test to find out if they have the virus, after 10 days or they have recovered and therefore can return to work. Plus if you are out in rural areas like in Souther Europe or 3rd World countries, the PCR's requirement for a lab will not be helpful.

Finally, the incubation period of the virus is at least 14 days. This means that if I pass the test/negative, it doesn't mean that I wont pick it up a couple of weeks or month later. So all of us if we want to contribute to the control of the spread of the virus, needs to be tested every 4-6 weeks. This is why eventually the costs of the test kits and their ease of use is critical until we find a vaccine.

Last edited:

Just seeing a press conference in Italy, they said one hospital in Milan had 39 deaths on Friday alone. Must be heartbreaking for the doctors working there.

They also said the last 4 days have been extremely positive in Lombardy and they could see restrictions being relaxed slightly in a few weeks, although the rest of Italy is about 10 day behind.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isn't this what all countries should be aiming for? I'm really hoping that mass testing will be a thing after this first lockdown wave
That's what France is supposed to be aiming for, large scale serology tests instead of the current virus tests.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Nearly all Poles I know who work in UK have now returned home to get free medical help here if needed. They'll stay here until late May at least It kind of annoys me because they are the same people who look down at those living here permanently bragging about their amazing British salaries (usually inflating them by 50% minimum when speaking about it). Now all of a sudden they all feel like they belong here again because their amazing salaries is not enough to afford a basic medical package in England.
Health service is free here.

They are going home because they can't earn any money and the government took too long to announce support for the self employed. They also live in terrible conditions with many sharing 8-10 in a house.

Infra-red

Isn't this what all countries should be aiming for? I'm really hoping that mass testing will be a thing after this first lockdown wave
The antibody test has been spoken about consistently by the UK government (right from the infamous "herd immunity" press conference). It will be absolutely key for all countries to roll this out as quickly as possible, if they want to prevent their economies going into a serious tailspin.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Antibodies are produced after like 10 days after the initial infection. These antibodies test is quite different to the other PCR/RNA testing which can detect the presence of the virus almost from Day One onwards. The downside to PCR/RNA testing is that its very susceptible to human error. The swabs need to be done correctly when collecting the sample or it will skew the test results. Then the storage of the swab has to be stored correctly at a low temperature of like 4 degrees or below. Then it has to be delivered to the nearest lab, too long and the sample quality deteriorates.

The antibodies test kits, on the other hand, are POCT ie they are at the point of care where the blood is drawn from the finger, then drops of blood are then dropped into a self-contained cassette. Then you wait for 5-10 minutes for the result.
Less prone to human error/test accuracy but its antibodies so it basically tells you that you have it (or not) only after your body produces antibodies, which is like 10 days later.

Imo PCR kits which are more expensive but in theory more accurate, are for frontline workers and high-risk individuals.
The cheaper antibodies kits are better for those who have been home isolated/quarantined or those who live in rural communities. They as the professor has suggested, can do a self-test to find out if they have the virus, after 10 days or they have recovered and therefore can return to work. Plus if you are out in rural areas like in Souther Europe or 3rd World countries, the PCR's requirement for a lab will not be helpful.

Finally, the incubation period of the virus is at least 14 days. This means that if I pass the test/negative, it doesn't mean that I wont pick it up a couple of weeks or month later. So all of us if we want to contribute to the control of the spread of the virus, needs to be tested every 4-6 weeks. This is why eventually the costs of the test kits and their ease of use is critical until we find a vaccine.
Thanks. Do you know can these tests be used repeatedly or just once?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Ok heres a question for you guys . I,m in a bit of a dilema . Self employed and i work almost exclusively in peoples homes . I,m in a limited company so i qualify for very little help from the government , which is fine , i do understand . Currently the direction from the gov is to carry on work if you cannot work from home . This weeks job has cancelled as a close neighbour to where i was due to be working has cancer and i would have to walk through communal areas ( the apartment i was due to be working in is unnocupied )
Next week my customers are very keen to have me work for them and the two rooms i am working in are also unnocupied , also they have a spare bathroom i could use . The following week i.m due to be working on an outside of a house . Its in a terraced street and the customer is living in scotland for the duration of the pandemic so this house is also empty . Ive spoken to lots of other trades lads that more often than not lone work and they on the whole think we should follow the guidelines and work where possible .
What do you lot think ?

ps for clarity i,m in the UK
You should do what you think is best. Construction hasn't been closed down and if you can maintain the 2m social distancing at all times there is no legal reason for you to stop.

I would stop if I could but my employer wants me to come into the office whenever I need to pick up files/drawings etc.

TheReligion

Abusive
See I have a problem, I've decided to live with my mum through this because she was already showing signs of going crazy before the lockdown happened. Where she lives is remote in the countryside but next to a busy road.

If she wants exercise it means having to walk onto the busy road (no pavement) and walk along it for 5/6mins before finally getting to a lane. If she drove for 2minutes she'd be able to walk safely. It's far more dangerous that she walks along said busy road, but the Government and Police demands she does that. The other issue being (i'm a runner) and have noticed far more drivers right now not obeying the laws of the road, they drift all over the road over here going in the middle of the road because they know its not busy anymore.

My mums in tears every morning because of this. I honestly have no idea what to do, at this point for her (and my) sanity i'm thinking i'll have to drive us 2/3mins up the road and if we get a fine, we get a fine. I'm not risking her safety anymore going along the road she is scared of. What do you advise in a situation like that? My neighbour FYI is driving 20minutes to walk his dog in a local park every morning. I'm never going to dob him in because he's a lovely guy, but it seems absurd that our mental health is suffering because of this where others aren't taking the rules seriously.
To be honest mate (and as you know I can totally relate to your situation with your mum) you're her carer and within the legislation with regards to reasonable excuse assuming caring responsibilities for someone is an accepted purpose of travel. I would suggest if you can't take her out without a very short journey (make it as short as possible) and that not doing so will have an adverse effect on her health, do it. If you are stopped and explain the situation and your caring responsibilities I don't think any officer in the world would criticise what you're doing and the purpose of your very short, and I would argue essential, journey.

Ultimately I say to people is your journey essential and ask what they are doing. It's usually pretty obvious if that individual is genuine or trying to break the rules. Another think you could consider is fitting this exercise in when you take her shopping. That way if you are stopped you can explain you have your shopping with you and have done it all together to reduce the amount of travel you are doing by frequency.

Hope that helps.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You don't. They're either working here without having registered for a National Insurance Number / GP, which would be really dumb as it takes about a day to get all that sorted, or they've simply gone back home to be with their families during this difficult time which is quite understandable.
I’m pretty sure it’s not for family reasons for most of them. Must be different reasons then, having no income definitely one of them. It’s people from many countries moving back so for some insurance will be a valid point.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Nearly all Poles I know who work in UK have now returned home to get free medical help here if needed. They'll stay here until late May at least It kind of annoys me because they are the same people who look down at those living here permanently bragging about their amazing British salaries (usually inflating them by 50% minimum when speaking about it). Now all of a sudden they all feel like they belong here again because their amazing salaries is not enough to afford a basic medical package in England.
Ermm. Healthcare in the UK is free.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
To be honest mate (and as you know I can totally relate to your situation with your mum) you're her carer and within the legislation with regards to reasonable excuse assuming caring responsibilities for someone is an accepted purpose of travel. I would suggest if you can't take her out without a very short journey (make it as short as possible) and that not doing so will have an adverse effect on her health, do it. If you are stopped and explain the situation and your caring responsibilities I don't think any officer in the world would criticise what you're doing and the purpose of your very short, and I would argue essential, journey.

Ultimately I say to people is your journey essential and ask what they are doing. It's usually pretty obvious if that individual is genuine or trying to break the rules. Another think you could consider is fitting this exercise in when you take her shopping. That way if you are stopped you can explain you have your shopping with you and have done it all together to reduce the amount of travel you are doing by frequency.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, i'll have a chat with her. Appreciate your time to respond, take care man.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
An email from Anthony, about truck drivers who need masks. “If they’re in the cab by themselves they should be in great shape,” Trump says. “I know a lot about trucks.”
They shouldn't ask him any questions that require an intelligent answer.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's what France is supposed to be aiming for, large scale serology tests instead of the current virus tests.
Just watching the news. Is it true French figures are vastly inaccurate and that many in care homes have not been added to the total deaths? Unbelievable if so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The antibodies test kits, on the other hand, are POCT ie they are at the point of care where the blood is drawn from the finger, then drops of blood are then dropped into a self-contained cassette. Then you wait for 5-10 minutes for the result. Room temperature storage.

I suspect that "passing the test" will mean testing positive for past exposure. Everyone else will be lumped in together and have to continue with social distancing.

It's going to be really odd. I imagine that people who have already had COVID will get some sort of certificate/wristband/smartphone app which allows them do things that everyone else cannot e.g. going to the pub, or the gym. I predict we're going to see the word "covenvy" enter the lexicon within the next 12 months.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
A friend has developed a live data interactive world map showing the daily information feeds,including animations. Just saw him testing it before he puts it online for people to see. Looks like Italy is starting to curve on confirmed cases, and Spain is just starting to enter that same period ( this doesn't include deaths as they tend to still rise after the curve has flattened) UK is looking very similar to Italy model a week behind but with a bit of a wobble. US is looking scary though, and China's curve is starting rise again.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
An email from Anthony, about truck drivers who need masks. “If they’re in the cab by themselves they should be in great shape,” Trump says. “I know a lot about trucks.”
He knows more about trucks than anyone, believe me.