SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is this guy high? All countries that are doing particularly good are using masks.

Video won't load for me, so he might well be high, but my missus is a biomedical scientist and her and apparently all the staff in her lab reckon that masks are a waste of time. They don't provide a seal around the mouth, and even if they did you'd need to be clean shaven for them to be properly air tight.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Saw the same in my local park. Friends getting together, clearly not from the same household. Even some mini 5 a side going on, jumpers for goal posts. Don't think Boris needs to make his announcement tomorrow, the decision for easing lockdown has been made.
You can’t expect people to stick to these rules indefinitely, especially kids, and the Government should have known this from the outset. I think people are generally reaching their limits around now. If football returns to the UK that will be the final nail in the coffin for social distancing.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What do you think is the cause of the smoking dynamic, perhaps that ex smokers have some lung damage and don’t the suspected protection from actively inhaling nicotine and smoke?
Ex-smokers are older and smoked for a longer period than current smokers would be Occam’s razor surely.

redshaw

Video won't load for me, so he might well be high, but my missus is a biomedical scientist and her and apparently all the staff in her lab reckon that masks are a waste of time. They don't provide a seal around the mouth, and even if they did you'd need to be clean shaven for them to be properly air tight.
Video loads if I visit the twitter page

Fauci says no reason for people to be walking around with a mask and people will fiddle with it and touch their face. When you think masks think healthcare providers and ill people.

Saw a cyclist today wearing one while very hot weather. Don't think it's a good idea for anyone exercising to wear one, could restrict your breathing. Some Chinese students collapsed and died during exercise at school wearing a mask.

Original video for more context @2 man midfield

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ex-smokers are older and smoked for a longer period than current smokers would be Occam’s razor surely.
Yep. As per NHS stats from 2018, adults aged between 25-34 were most likely to be current smokers (20%) while those aged over 65 were least likely (8%). Logically a large portion of that 65+ age group are former smokers rather than people who never smoked.

DVG7

Absolutely nothing has surprised me during this entire panedmic. South Korea heralded as one of the better countries dealing with it, opened up bars and clubs and now 1 guy has been linked to 17 of the new cases and all those places are shut down for another month. Belarus just completely ignoring it as their numbers start to look ominous. I would be very confident that a high majority of people flouting lockdown rules also text whilst driving, its the old "ah but it wont happen to me" mentality. Every single piece of statistical evidence says that this virus isn't going to disappear yet the world continues to operate as if it will be able to just go back to normal. This planet is absolutely beautiful when it's still, and we have collectively proved that we don't deserve it to the extent that if there was a button I could press that would just end humanity and civilization peacefully, i'd seriously consider pushing it.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't think any of that is off topic at all.

It's relevant as it informs your point of view. Working that many hours in the short-term on condition you will be rewarded with a decent bonus is a different thing altogether to what I assumed was going on.

However, I would fundamentally disagree with counting the hours previously used for commuting as business hours.

However, the way you've described how your business runs isn't the norm in my experience. We are being strongly urged to only work our regular hours and to take our breaks as we would have taken them in the office.

In my line of work, we will most definitely keep up the working from home aspect where it suits both the employee and the business and productivity is a factor in that decision-making process.

Most likely it would be some kind of hybrid as I feel some things can only be done face-to-face especially when setting up projects with new or existing clients where a knowledge transfer is needed.

Personally I'd need at least one day in the office a week.
I would say it is off topic, there is a separate thread for working from home.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
It's not about complete sealing. It's the same principle as social distancing. You want to reduce the viral load people are exposed to.

Revan

Assumptionman
I guess it depends on what one counts as "very deadly" but from those figures it is the least deadly for people from 20-40 (at 0.2% of infections). But if you take into account the likelihood of infection without countermeasures (said to be somewhere around 70% in the long term, although highly debatable) you still reach 0.7*0.002*16.700.000 = 23.3 thousand deaths for the UK. (For reference that is about 15 times the total of road deaths any given year) just from this one disease in the two least hit age brackets (among adults). And as @Pogue Mahone has pointed out those numbers are based on the services not being overwhelmed yet.
0.2% fatality rate for that group is nonsense though. It assumes that every infected case was documented which is totally false (especially in the UK when the testing was sparse until a week ago). Many researchers are estimating the true fatality rate to 0.4% or so (on the entire population) which essentially lowers by a magnitude the fatality rate for that group age you mentioned. So maybe, we would be talking for a couple thousand deaths in that group age.

Of course, in the entire population is another thing and it would have been surely in hundreds of thousands.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Labs are quite away from the real world at times.
Wearing masks, even tissue ones, will probably be proven to be one of the most useful community measures, as it blocks respiratory respiratory droples. The goal is not to protect the wearer, but the community as a whole, and it's effectiveness increases the more people that use it. Look at it as physically imposed respiratory etiquette.

It's a bit like those lab studies showing the vídeo survives "x days" in whatever surface. In practice, this vírus seems to only be transmitted from person-to-person through respiratory droplets, not by surfaces - unless, obviously, you touch a recently dropped respiratory droplet and then touch a mucous membrane, hence why some often used surfaces like ATMs or public bathrooms may pose some risk. Stuff like deliveries or even take-away food do not seem to be a source of transmission at all. The survival of a vírus in a controlled environment means very little about it's ability to actually cause infection.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Just reading the Grant Schapps nonsense encouraging us to walk or cycle to work. It's naive at best- bet that prick wouldn't risk his life cycling near Victoria.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Well done to the Faroe Islands. All cases ended, no new cases since 23rd April. 187 infected, 187 recovered. A perfect score.

redshaw

More people want a car now after the lockdown as they don't feel safe on a bus or train and it's perfectly logical.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
More people want a car now after the lockdown as they don't want feel safe on a bus or train and it's perfectly logical.
Personally I think motorbike or moped with proper helmet and visor is the best compromise for right now

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You can’t expect people to stick to these rules indefinitely, especially kids, and the Government should have known this from the outset. I think people are generally reaching their limits around now. If football returns to the UK that will be the final nail in the coffin for social distancing.
And what's the betting that the vast majority of the people ignoring the government lockdown rules are the same people clapping proudly for the NHS every Thursday...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@Pogue Mahone
Looking at the hazard ratios graph, age stands out, in a good way - children are so much less likely they're literally off the scale. Surely there must be research on what makes them different. Is it just a more active metabolic process? Ageing is bad in the context of most diseases but surely this gap isn't normal.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just reading the Grant Schapps nonsense encouraging us to walk or cycle to work. It's naive at best- bet that prick wouldn't risk his life cycling near Victoria.
If you listened to the whole briefing, you would have heard him saying that millions of pounds are being allocated to local councils to assist in making cycling and walking safer.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sky News' Alex Crawford visits ICU wards, temples and homes in this in-depth documentary that examines the devastating effects of the new coronavirus across the UK's communities.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@Pogue Mahone
Looking at the hazard ratios graph, age stands out, in a good way - children are so much less likely they're literally off the scale. Surely there must be research on what makes them different. Is it just a more active metabolic process? Ageing is bad in the context of most diseases but surely this gap isn't normal.
I’d say there’s loads of research going on. It’s just we’re working to crazy shortened timeframes. All will become clear in time. This gap definitely isn’t normal. Most viral epidemics (e.g. swine flu) have a U shaped mortality curve. As deadly to the developing immune system as it is to one that is fading.

The best theory I’ve heard is that kids somehow have a more active IgA/cell mediated immunity, which blitzes the virus en route through mucus membranes. So kids can fight off infection without the IgG/IgM response that is tested for in serological surveys.

Last edited:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Well done to the Faroe Islands. All cases ended, no new cases since 23rd April. 187 infected, 187 recovered. A perfect score.
That's great stuff. Containment seems very easy in small islands. Here in Azores (4x the population) we have 144 cases and no new cases for a while, but our mortality is terrible at 15 deaths. 11 are from the same nursing home.

Josep Dowling

Absolutely crazy NOT to have stopped incoming passengers eight or nine weeks ago.

I don't usually trash the UK Government, but on this I''d trash them even more than most of you do on here every day.
Same. Literally no logic on that decision. If they wanted to do this it should have been done months ago. Why choose now exactly?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Who's mentioned indefinitely? I fully expect them to quote stick to the rules unquote until the rules tell them otherwise. Otherwise they might as well stab a few nurses they see coming home after another draining shift.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
More people want a car now after the lockdown as they don't want feel safe on a bus or train and it's perfectly logical.
That would give credence to the idea this pandemic isn’t necessarily a win for the environment in the long term, despite the clearer skies we have currently.

Dante

Average bang
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52587368
Coronavirus: Young men 'more likely to ignore lockdown'

Young men are more likely than young women to break lockdown rules, psychologists suggest.

A team from the University of Sheffield and Ulster University questioned just under 2,000 13-24 year olds.

Half of the men aged 19-24 had met friends or family members they did not live with during lockdown, compared to 25% of women.

The researchers called on the government to better target messages for young people.

Non-compliance 'linked to depression'
Just under half of all those questioned - 917 young people - said they were feeling significantly more anxious during the lockdown - particularly if they had a parent who was a key worker.

Those with depression were more likely to flout lockdown rules by meeting up with friends and leaving the house unnecessarily; while those with anxiety were more likely to practise social distancing and regularly wash their hands.

Dr Liat Levita from the University of Sheffield says mental health is no justification for not following the rules, but it might help us understand why it's difficult for certain people to comply.

"The more someone is depressed, the less compliant and de-motivated they are.

"So if you need to hand-wash more often and need to make an effort in following the guidelines, it's not something that you're actually going to be able to do very well."
I thought this was interesting.

Lockdown was always going to be a big ask in the UK. And if we extrapolate from this, it's likely that subsequent lockdowns will be adhered to even less.

Basically, the R0 of 0.9 we have at the moment could well be the lowest it gets until herd immunity is within reach.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sammsky on his moped, we need pictures. :)
:lol: Didn't say I was going to try one ... don't even know how to!

Might have to learn quickly, but apparently if you can ride a bike and drive a car, ;earring to ride one safely is very easy?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Belarus: The Country Where They Didn't Lockdown!
The whole world is taking precautions, keeping people safely inside, practicing social distancing, right? Well no...In Belarus they do things differently. Bars and restaurants are open, few wear face masks outside and today they had a big celebration with crowds. So I went to take a look...Join me in the country that does things its own way.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The whole world is taking precautions, keeping people safely inside, practicing social distancing, right? Well no...In Belarus they do things differently. Bars and restaurants are open, few wear face masks outside and today they had a big celebration with crowds. So I went to take a look...Join me in the country that does things its own way.

Bald and Bankrupt is a mad lad, he has zero fear. He smuggled a cat from Cuba back to Europe.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Ah I love this guy! I’d say I’ve seen all his stuff by now.

Pagh Wraith

This seems to be a weekly thing now in Germany. Mass demonstrations in many big cities against the restrictions imposed by the government. Stuttgart once again saw the biggest one. Organisers wanted permission for 50,000 people, 10,000 were allowed. The right to protest is important but that really seems excessive if not crazy.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Sadly UK would never be disciplined or ingenious enough to implement such. But we’ve got BrExit and freedom so we’ll be OK, right?

Last edited: