SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I actually think this feck up has been intentional. The government and media are working as one. The government pushes the sensible message of lockdown while the media riles up the public to break out. That way the government gets its wish of the economy picking up again and they don’t have any ownership whatsoever of the inevitable death toll.

It’s the way the media is going about it that is most suspicious to me. They’re not directly attacking the government messages they are just running their own propaganda campaign which flies directly in the face of what the government is apparently trying to achieve.

Jacko21

Citing the rate of infection as the reason for diversion from UK government messaging, but then refusing to disclose the R number seems odd.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Obviously there has to be certain measures in place. Lets not get all hysterical and say the world is gone though. Its survived before this and it will after this.
That's not what he said, he said that the pre-Covid world is gone. We are in a different paradigm.

arnie_ni

Citing the rate of infection as the reason for diversion from UK government messaging, but then refusing to disclose the R number seems odd.
Ni arent following the uk either. Foster has said ours is 0.8 and to high to open again

worldgonemad

Not sure if its been discussed yet but it seems to me that this virus is here to stay until either a vaccine is produced or until we acheive some form of herd immunity.
If that is the case what would happen if we adopted the policy of only shielding the very vulnerable until that happened.
For example, everwhere to open as normal, all bars, restaurants, offices, schools, etc, BUT, anyone over say 60, anyone with underlying health problems to be kept off work and paid in full until either the vaccine or infections drop to a more safe level.
Would that save the economy and even protect against higher deaths in the long term?
Would the nhs be able to cope with the increased demand if we were to do that? What proportion of those hospitalised have no underlying health problems?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This is the opening sentence from a Sunday Times article:

'In a suburb of Stevenage, Hertfordshire, a young man disguised as a bush can be seen on video, shuffling down the street, using front gardens as camouflage to avoid the police.'

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Someone coined a phrase for this paradox. Can’t remember what it is. You take measures to avoid a catastrophe. The measures work. We avoid a catastrophe. People say “why did we take these measure? there wasn’t any catastrophe “
It's insane.

2009 H1N1 is a prime example. We had 150 deaths in Portugal, and in a demographic a lot younger than Covid. For years people still say we "stupidly panicked", when I think it's obvious that the fact we were all paranoid for a few weeks excessively washing hands and not handshaking or kissing (the only measures that were taken) played a major part in us "only" having 150 deaths. Flu is incredibly seasonal, so we only had to be careful for a few weeks to dramatically lower it's transmission rate, but it worked out well.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Starting tomorrow I'll be on our "Covid ER" for two weeks. We have no cases here, so I guess I'll be paid to do nothing and just sit there under massive PPE, just to take care of a couple of suspicious cases who will most likely be passed on to regular ER anyway.

I was actually enjoying the regular ER, and learning a lot, so was a bit disappointed with this.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
If people are becoming immune after their first infection, does that mean they can no longer be a carrier or can they still carry the virus?

I'd expect their antibodies kill the virus so it wouldn't be able to pass on?

Not sure how it works tbh. Curious though.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Obviously there has to be certain measures in place. Lets not get all hysterical and say the world is gone though. Its survived before this and it will after this.
It's not going to be anything like the same that's the point. How can people return to work when public transport is going to have to operate at 1/10th capacity?

Stop the idea that we'll just have to get on with it. Things have changed until there's a vaccine.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
My 5 and 4-year-old kids have been stuck indoors for more than a month. On the rare occasions that they do go out they wear masks. They constantly wash hands. For a long time I've believed that young kids developed their immune systems by being exposed to germs. Is this true? And if so, won't that mean mankind is raising a generation of immune-compromised kids?

I'm of course exaggerating here. But if this super hygienic life goes on for a few years then this could become a thing, no?

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
If you think they're bad wait until we live in a world of unaccountable clickbait 'news' websites.
Sadly, this is true. There needs to be a global watchdog with the power to take down "news" websites that spread unsubstantiated or damaging news. It sounds a bit Big Brother to me, but there needs to be some accountability.

Silva

My 5 and 4-year-old kids have been stuck indoors for more than a month. On the rare occasions that they do go out they wear masks. They constantly wash hands. For a long time I've believed that young kids developed their immune systems by being exposed to germs. Is this true? And if so, won't that mean mankind is raising a generation of immune-compromised kids?

I'm of course exaggerating here. But if this super hygienic life goes on for a few years then this could become a thing, no?
there's plenty of time for your kids to be exposed to the virus, or be vaccinated against it without risking spreading the germ at this moment

fergies coat

It's not going to be anything like the same that's the point. How can people return to work when public transport is going to have to operate at 1/10th capacity?

Stop the idea that we'll just have to get on with it. Things have changed until there's a vaccine.
Which maybe never? So let's stay indoors forever. The media doesn't help reporting the death rate everyday. Around 50 million people die around the world every year from various different causes. If it got reported everyday how many people died of cancer, or car crashes or any other type of disease everyday, everybody would be in hysterics.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Yes it's true. Kids needs to play with dirt, dirty dogs, etc, to develope a strong immune system.

Those germphobic parents that keep everything ultra super clean, are doing a disservice to their kids immunological system.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
there's plenty of time for your kids to be exposed to the virus, or be vaccinated against it without risking spreading the germ at this moment
Yeah, but what about all the other germs? They cannot build up immunity against those, and a hyper-hygienic period could adversely affect their immune system as a whole. Or so I've believed. Hopefully someone can tell me I'm mistaken and that immune systems don't work like that.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Yes it's true. Kids needs to play with dirt, dirty dogs, etc, to develope a strong immune system.

Those germphobic parents that keep everything ultra super clean, are doing a disservice to their kids immunological system.
So, if we are right in our understanding then various "innocuous" diseases could become more serious for a whole generation... I hope we're wrong.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes, but with the caveat that this explanation underplayed the ideological agenda of many titles. An arrogance that as the 'voice of the people's they should be a driving force of policy etc...
Voice of the people.
That is magnanimous of them.
As you say, arrogance in the extreme.

worldgonemad

Just seen this posted from the other day . As others have commented on Brazil seem to be heading into very dark times . Absolutely harrowing if the clip is genuine.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What precisely does Stay Alert mean in relation to Corona Virus.

Sounds more like a terrorist alert.

PepsiCola

We can't stay in hiding forever ever. The economy will cost more life's than this virus. Look at the unemployment figures in the USA. People's livelihoods are being savaged. It isn't going to go away anytime soon is it? We need to just get on with it now.
Yes let's get on with it. Let the NHS be overwhelmed and let countless people die.

Smores

I bet whichever idiot came up with the stay alert slogan won't be employed much longer. Has to be one of the "message experts" recently brought in from the leave team.

Or is it from boris directly and he's still thinking of that invisible mugger.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What precisely does Stay Alert mean in relation to Corona Virus.

Sounds more like a terrorist alert.
It is a strange phrase. But maybe it’s more like a polite ‘don’t be stupid’ message.

The amount of after lockdown parties or massive benders planned for after lockdown, as if when lockdown is lifted the virus disappears.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It is a strange phrase. But maybe it’s more like a polite ‘don’t be stupid’ message.

The amount of after lockdown parties or massive benders planned for after lockdown, as if when lockdown is lifted the virus disappears.
People are focusing on the phrase for some strange reason.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I bet whichever idiot came up with the stay alert slogan won't be employed much longer. Has to be one of the "message experts" recently brought in from the leave team.

Or is it from boris directly and he's still thinking of that invisible mugger.
The message is ridiculous, it’s just not strong enough. People have been flaunting the rules anyway, we can fully expect the idiocy to reach a whole new level of ‘I dont give a feck’

Utdstar01

The message is ridiculous, it’s just not strong enough. People have been flaunting the rules anyway, we can fully expect the idiocy to reach a whole new level of ‘I dont give a feck’
It already reached that this weekend with all the street parties.

redshaw

The government probably wanted to reflect the next phase. If you open the garden centres and relax outdoor exercising and say stay home it doesn't quite fit but obviously it did before under our first 5-6 weeks of lockdown. It's saying go out but be on your guard and you can control it if you keep to the distancing etc.

They should change the phrases and maybe put some simple images of distancing alongside so people get the picture.