SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The government probably wanted to reflect the next phase. If you open the garden centres and relax outdoor exercising and say stay home it doesn't quite fit but obviously it did before under our first 5-6 weeks of lockdown. It's saying go out but be on your guard and you can control it if you keep to the distancing etc.

They should change the phrases and maybe put some simple images of distancing alongside so people get the picture.
Maybe it should have been STAY ALERT, KEEP YOUR DISTANCE.

Fully Fledged

I bet whichever idiot came up with the stay alert slogan won't be employed much longer. Has to be one of the "message experts" recently brought in from the leave team.

Or is it from boris directly and he's still thinking of that invisible mugger.
Sounds like something Shaw Taylor would come out with.

redshaw

Seems ok if one is relaxing certain things.

I find Scotland relaxing exercising and sticking to the original STAY HOME to be a little mixed messaging, more so if they open garden centres too. We're opening the garden centres but Stay the fook Home.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's just a slogan for fecks sake! :lol: :lol:
Any deviation away from the message "stay at home" is rightfully going to be scrutinized. People haven't given a feck for weeks now and the fact that the message isn't clearly stay at home anymore will mean more people will give less of a feck.

PepsiCola

Yes lets stay indoors forever let the economy go to sh*t, and let everyone have mental breakdowns and commit suicide.
You shouldn't really talk about things you have no understanding of.

Getting on with it will just nullify the sacrifices everyone has made thus far.

Edit - just to educate you further. We still have no idea the impact this virus has on children. People are also catching the disease twice. Thus its thought the virus may remain dormant in the lungs, like tuberculosis, before becoming active again.

Allowing the virus to spread again will just overwhelm the NHS. Where services are taken away from things like cancer treatment.

Then when the population is ravaged, what good would it do to the economy? Or mental health.

This little Britain, blitz mentality is fecking idiotic.

But let's get on with it ay.

The tory cnuts are about to ease lockdown this evening. I'm certain we shall see a second peak due to stupid street parties that have taken place lately.

Last edited:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
If people are becoming immune after their first infection, does that mean they can no longer be a carrier or can they still carry the virus?

I'd expect their antibodies kill the virus so it wouldn't be able to pass on?

Not sure how it works tbh. Curious though.
My guess would be you can still carry it physically on e.g. your hands from touching stuff, but you won't be able to carry it in your system, so to speak. But I'm not a doctor.

fergies coat

You shouldn't really talk about things you have no understanding of.

Getting on with it will just nullify the sacrifices everyone has made thus far.
And you know exactly what your talking about? We've seen new cases in Germany and south Korea once they eased up. Its not going away unless we get a vaccine. We need to get on with it one way or another and learn to live with it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yes lets stay indoors forever let the economy go to sh*t, and let everyone have mental breakdowns and commit suicide.
Therein lies an issue for me. We've constructed something as a society (the economy) and led people to believe that it has more value than human life.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Therein lies an issue for me. We've constructed something as a society (the economy) and led people to believe that it has more value than human life.
Eh? You do realise with an economic collapse comes a loss of life too?

The problem we are having is weighing up deaths due to covid 19 Vs deaths due to economic collapse.

It's a balancing act at the moment.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
In my view yes.
The majority of the more 'popular' paper's are full of made up news and sensational headlines.

They are only about circulation and anything they can do to sell a few more copies is all they care about.

Not sure how that would suppress news when by definition, their so called news is always way out of date.

Save your money and spend it on something useful.
You don’t want to push all old people online.

My parents are at least halfway smart but their news sources are the newspaper, or aggregated content on Facebook.

No slight on old people as a group. I know you’re of an older vintage yourself. Most are right headed. But too few understand that ‘content’ is not ‘news’.

But many over 50 are in some very narrow lanes already. Narrowing them won’t help.

Dante

Average bang
The economy isn't some abstract concept. It's an aggregation of human output.

Every doctor who saves a life and every farmer who grows an apple is contributing to the economy.

It's how stuff gets made, how things get done and how regular people are able to acquire the things they need to stay alive.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Restrictions should totally be lifted for key workers first, so I can go play golf.

I did joke about it at first, but it's a possible step in the right direction tbh.

Key workers are well aware of risks and practice social distancing at their workplaces anyway, what better group to test some places on how they would open? Maybe a fortnight of key workers for restaurants , golf , non essential shops to see how it goes. We've all got letters to say we are key workers haven't we?

There is probably a million flaws in that, and I am sure you guys will quickly point them all out to me.

cyberman

The problem we are having is weighing up deaths due to covid 19 Vs deaths due to economic collapse.

Its not though. Its not a Brexit negotiation. It all comes down to how to halt the spread of the virus. Restarting the econony is just the result of that.

PepsiCola

And you know exactly what your talking about? We've seen new cases in Germany and south Korea once they eased up. Its not going away unless we get a vaccine. We need to get on with it one way or another and learn to live with it.
Read my edited quote.

I know more than you, at the very least.

It's not really. Not yet anyway. Deaths from Covid far outweigh anything else at the moment.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
So will we be allowed to go visit family or not? I'm so confused. I'd like to go take my 9 month old daughter to see my parents for the first time in 3 months, they've missed almost a third of her life, time we won't get back. I don't understand why I can't do that, at a safe distance of course, but it's perfectly fine for me to walk around within 2 metres of people or go to the supermarket rammed with people I've never met in my life.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Restrictions should totally be lifted for key workers first, so I can go play golf.

I did joke about it at first, but it's a possible step in the right direction tbh.

Key workers are well aware of risks and practice social distancing at their workplaces anyway, what better group to test some places on how they would open? Maybe a fortnight of key workers for restaurants , golf , non essential shops to see how it goes. We've all got letters to say we are key workers haven't we?

There is probably a million flaws in that, and I am sure you guys will quickly point them all out to me.
If Garden Centres are being allowed to open (random) then I don’t see why things like Golf Courses shouldn’t also open (for all). They are more outdoors than Garden Centres and there is no need to get within 2 metres of fellow golfers. I don’t play golf so I am not biased either way.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Its not though. Its not a Brexit negotiation. It all comes down to how to halt the spread of the virus. Restarting the econony is just the result of that.
How isn't it? During this lockdown businesses are at risk of disappearing, jobs lost, the longer it goes on the more jobs and business disappear.

After the lockdown is over, those jobs won't suddenly return over night?

The risk of people breaking down mentally due to the financial impact is huge, suicides will and probably already have happened due to what is going on.

It's not really. Not yet anyway. Deaths from Covid far outweigh anything else at the moment.
At the moment being the key part of that.

I agree, a longer lockdown is needed, but I see it from the otherside too. A guy with a business which isn't making his usual 10k per month, now on 2800, and getting into more debt. He isn't being helped, things are going from bad to worse for him. I can understand why he would want lockdown to end.

I think lockdown could end, if we could trust people to be sensible.

If lockdown ended, I'd just go about business as I have for the past couple months, I'm social distancing at work, not meeting up with people anyway. I'd basically still be on a lockdown.

Idiots gonna idiot no matter if we say there's a lockdown or there isn't.

I know it's not ideal as it will make the NHS task more difficult again, but that's just how it is.

The only other option is a more strict lockdown which we cannot police anyway.

Just my opinions guys, don't go off the rails cos I CBA to argue.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
If Garden Centres are being allowed to open (random) then I don’t see why things like Golf Courses shouldn’t also open (for all). They are more outdoors than Garden Centres and there is no need to get within 2 metres of fellow golfers. I don’t play golf so I am not biased either way.
I don't understand the whole garden centre thing tbh, they're horrible stuffy places which are humid and be an ideal environment for a virus to thrive surely?

DomesticTadpole

Have you seen the idiots at the weekend, it may be a simple slogan but more idiots will interpret it to do whatever they want and put more people in danger.
Not sure they need a slogan to do that. They have been doing it all along in one form or another.

MDFC Manager

Just seen this posted from the other day . As others have commented on Brazil seem to be heading into very dark times . Absolutely harrowing if the clip is genuine.

Their daily numbers already look horrible, but it appears they are in for far far worse. Do they even have a lockdown or does their moron in charge still think this is a hoax?

DomesticTadpole

Yes, it's an improvement. Lowest daily number of new cases since 6 March, lowest daily number of deaths since 9 March. We've had our slight easing of restrictions now for 7 days. The end of next week will be more illuminating.
Hope it goes well. They might expect some increase. It is how big that increase is and for how long.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yes, it's an improvement. Lowest daily number of new cases since 6 March, lowest daily number of deaths since 9 March. We've had our slight easing of restrictions now for 7 days. The end of next week will be more illuminating.
UK would be best to stay as it is for a couple more weeks to see how the countries easing out of lockdown fare.

Easing ours now seems a stupid idea, seeing as though 2 more weeks could give us a lot clearer view of what to expect. Seems we are just following other countries, but early. By the time results of other countries are in (2-3week) it'll be too late for us if we have already lifted the lockdown.

TheGame

You do realise that a serious economic crash will cause more death than this virus ever will? So what do we do? Stay indoors in the fear it might kill us?
Of course the economy and jobs are important, the Government cannot keep paying the wages it is but just going out there and relaxing everything at once is not an option. There needs to be a balanced approach which is of course easier said than done.