SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Revan

Assumptionman
I think most on the planet are entrapped in some sort of cognitive denial right now. Even if we get a vaccine, I doubt masses will get access to it before next winter, when presumably covid19 will regain its chops and spread widely again. Though one can only hope that by adopting stricter and conscious social distancing, the impact might not be as bad as round 1?
It is very unlikely that masses will get it before next winter, mostly cause I do not see a vaccine passing all the testing until then. However, once it passes the testing I think it is not gonna take a long time for it to be mass produced. The vaccine is gonna be totally synthetic, and government like the US’ or foundations like that of Bill Gates are taking a financial hit to produce vaccines before they are tested so when the testing is successful, to start immediately distributing them. Of course, if the vaccines fail, then millions of dollars are lost but it is a financial hit worth taking.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It is very unlikely that masses will get it before next winter, mostly cause I do not see a vaccine passing all the testing until then. However, once it passes the testing I think it is not gonna take a long time for it to be mass produced. The vaccine is gonna be totally synthetic, and government like the US’ or foundations like that of Bill Gates are taking a financial hit to produce vaccines before they are tested so when the testing is successful, to start immediately distributing them. Of course, if the vaccines fail, then millions of dollars are lost but it is a financial hit worth taking.
Yes, western countries will spend whatever it takes to get their populations working freely again. Even a few months over another nation will also be a source of competitive advantage, to bounce out of the recession.

My point was rather the short term: there will certainly be a 2nd wave as vaccine won't come fast enough; only debatable and influencing matter is its ferocity and duration.

redshaw

Spain's deaths (far right side), and other stats. This is not the full total, just what they've logged to now.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Well, except for masks and social distancing we can go anywhere within our own region in Italy from tomorrow, without having to give a reason. You can go to other people's houses, see your friends, get a haircut, go to a restaurant etc. All shops can re-open.

Numbers are looking decent today (675 new cases, 145 deaths), but then, a lot of people haven't been going anywhere for 2 months.

We are worried that there's going to be a spike again when people start living their lives again, but we'll just have to hope.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
fecking Rubber Lips saying schools are safe to reopen - but they'll need to stagger arrivals and reduce class sizes.

Ex-fecking-scuse me? If it was that simple to reduce class sizes don't you think schools would have tried to after a decade of overcrowding? It's very easy to sit on the outside of a situation like this thick cnut does often and talk about how easy things are.

I'll say it again; until MPs continue to be shit scared to go back into the House of Commons, they have no right to say it's safe for others to return to overcrowded working environments. They just want the schools to become day care centres again so they can send everyone back to work.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ireland:

Lowest numbers I remember seeing for a couple months.

hp88

Well, except for masks and social distancing we can go anywhere within our own region in Italy from tomorrow, without having to give a reason. You can go to other people's houses, see your friends, get a haircut, go to a restaurant etc. All shops can re-open.

Numbers are looking decent today (675 new cases, 145 deaths), but then, a lot of people haven't been going anywhere for 2 months.

We are worried that there's going to be a spike again when people start living their lives again, but we'll just have to hope.
We are all going to be that little more cautious this time round, If we all follow the guidelines by distancing ourselves and wearing PPE when necessary I think we can start returning to normality.

Just hoping we don't get another spike as I don't think I will cope as well with another lockdown.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm not going in detail as why, but you shouldn't repost tweets by Tom Van Grieken. He's the leader of an extremist far right party with an obvious anti government agenda. They are anti Islam, anti migrants, anti culture... well, anti against a lot.

Belgian people in my opinion are pretty ok with how the government has handled this crisis. Sure there were feckups and hospital staff are underpaid, but in general it's been ok. This was a one time event, that seems to be orchestrated by a union.
Oops. Didn’t realise the guy I was retweeting was an arsehole. Sorry about that. Also did some reading up and protests seems to be more about pay and contracts than an objection to how the crisis has been handled.

djembatheking

It is great that people are getting out and about again , I have just been looking at live cams around the world and in Italy on Webcamtaxi and it seems many places have opened up. Just be careful , better safe than sorry.

Skills

Snitch
Pretty much but it's always nice to have links to lots of evidence proving it.
I think the biggest hurdles at the moment to a "functional" normality is dealing with public transport.

But clubs, festivals, spectator sports and other mass gatherings will take a while to find a solution to.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Given how strict and well observed lock down was in North Italy, I think you will be much safer and have more reasons to be confident than UK.

Flying high

I don't understand why so many governments aren't at least trying for a full wipe out of the virus.

I know it's not easy. But can we all not lock down for another couple of months? Along with heavy testing and contact tracing it seems possible, in richer countries at least. Aus and NZ seem to be almost there. After all, with a vaccine still seemingly miles away, if we get another rise we'll likely be in lockdown again. Surely that would be worse in terms of public mental health.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yup, that's a lot of ifs and buts there. Essentially AstraZeneca would assist in the manufacturing of the doses of the vaccine should it prove to be effective

They've got more details here
http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-04-23-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-begins-human-trial-stage

Essentially ironically if we hit a second peak or substantially increased community transmission it'll be the only way to really just vaccine efficacy over a shorter timeframe for the clinical endpoints they want to assess
Alok Sharma said UK would get priority then developing world at affordable price
Government pledges £84m to mass produce Oxford vaccine if trials successful
Sharma said the government has already invested £47m in the Oxford University and Imperial College London vaccine trials, but is today announcing a further £84m funding to help accelerate their work.
He said this money will be used to start mass producing the Oxford vaccine is the trials prove successful, so it can be distributed to the UK population straight away. The funding will also allow Imperial to launch phase three of its vaccine trial later in the year.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Its partially orchestrated.
That was my immediate thought. Why would doctors and nurses line up to receive a prime minister in the first place? It's not a state visit or even royalty. And the health staff are needed inside, not lining up on the approach.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It is great that people are getting out and about again , I have just been looking at live cams around the world and in Italy on Webcamtaxi and it seems many places have opened up. Just be careful , better safe than sorry.
Thanks, we have been very careful so far. We literally haven't left the village except for one occasion, when we had to go to our vet with one of the dogs.

We have booked a short trip to a nice hotel in Puglia towards the end of June, by which time we'll be able to travel freely within the whole of the country (as long as things don't go pear-shaped). We chose to go south, as there have been far fewer cases down there!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Didn't we already know this? I've been going off this thinking for ages anyway.
Pretty much but it's always nice to have links to lots of evidence proving it.
Judging by the amount of people who absolutely shit their pants when someone walks/jogs anywhere near them I’d say this is far from well known information.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It seems a lot of places are easing restrictions massively these last few days , are we over the worse of this?
In a way I think yes, we are over the worse of this. Being that the worse of this was the eminent colapse of health systems, many countries in Europe seem to have narrowly avoided that. The delay in action had to be responded with extreme measures. These bought us time to understand better how the disease transmits, what is relatively safe to do and what is not.

I think the retaking of activity will not be "normal", and the extra-care that will be put into things will make the resurgence of this disease (where it's almost gone) a slower, painful process (people will keep on dying, and many things people like to do will remain off-limits) and probably intermixed with lots of trial and error measures, hopefully avoiding a huge surge of the disease that gets us into the critical zone again.

Add to that the possibly unprecedented worldwide recession and we're in for a tough, long ride. My hope is that this ride remains controlled.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I've worked 56 hours this week in our Covid-ER and, during my shifts, saw a grand total of 5 patients. 4 of them were so low-risk that they weren't even tested and ended up transferred to the normal ER. The 5th was tested, but came negative. We're almost doing a Faroe Islands here in Azores, a celebration of "zero cases".

Then what? We must reopen the islands. In fact, I think it should have been done already. Unless the option is to remain "closed" for na unknown amount of time, which comes with huge consequences and risks too.

Yesterday only one patient came through here, but 27 professionals (among doctors, nurses and auxiliary staff) dedicated their entire shifts to this place. We need to either shut it down or start using it. It's tremendous wasted capacity.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I've worked 56 hours this week in our Covid-ER and, during my shifts, saw a grand total of 5 patients. 4 of them were so low-risk that they weren't even tested and ended up transferred to the normal ER. The 5th was tested, but came negative. We're almost doing a Faroe Islands here in Azores, a celebration of "zero cases".

Then what? We must reopen the islands. In fact, I think it should have been done already. Unless the option is to remain "closed" for na unknown amount of time, which comes with huge consequences and risks too.
Of all the economic consequences I can’t even begin to think how we “fix” this for places whose economy is in any way reliant on tourism. How the hell do you keep a steady flow of tourists coming in, while still trying to keep the virus out?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
That’s great to see. Especially coming after good weather and generally looser behaviour of last weekend. I didn’t think we had a hope of getting cases down to zero but maybe, just maybe...
Yea but once we open up the country the infections will just go up.

Surely Leo and Tony understand this. I think they do but at the same time they have to reopen the country. Hopefully not everything will be reopened.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Neil Ferguson's Imperial model could be the most devastating software mistake of all time
David Richards and Konstantin Boudnik 16 May 2020 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...ial-model-could-devastating-software-mistake/
In the history of expensive software mistakes, Mariner 1 was probably the most notorious. The unmanned spacecraft was destroyed seconds after launch from Cape Canaveral in 1962 when it veered dangerously off-course due to a line of dodgy code.
But nobody died and the only hits were to Nasa’s budget and pride. Imperial College’s modelling of non-pharmaceutical interventions for Covid-19 which helped persuade the UK and other countries to bring in draconian lockdowns will supersede the failed Venus space probe and could go down in history as the most devastating software mistake of all time, in terms of economic costs and lives lost.
Since publication of Imperial’s microsimulation model, those of us with a professional and personal interest in software development have studied the code on which policymakers based their fateful decision to mothball our multi-trillion pound economy and plunge millions of people into poverty and hardship. And we were profoundly disturbed at what we discovered. The model appears to be totally unreliable and you wouldn’t stake your life on it.
First though, a few words on our credentials. I am David Richards, founder and chief executive of WANdisco, a global leader in Big Data software that is jointly headquartered in Silicon Valley and Sheffield. My co-author is Dr Konstantin ‘Cos’ Boudnik, vice-president of architecture at WANdisco, author of 17 US patents in distributed computing and a veteran developer of the Apache Hadoop framework that allows computers to solve problems using vast amounts of data.
Imperial’s model appears to be based on a programming language called Fortran, which was old news 20 years ago and, guess what, was the code used for Mariner 1. This outdated language contains inherent problems with its grammar and the way it assigns values, which can give way to multiple design flaws and numerical inaccuracies. One file alone in the Imperial model contained 15,000 lines of code.
Try unravelling that tangled, buggy mess, which looks more like a bowl of angel hair pasta than a finely tuned piece of programming. Industry best practice would have 500 separate files instead. In our commercial reality, we would fire anyone for developing code like this and any business that relied on it to produce software for sale would likely go bust.
The approach ignores widely accepted computer science principles known as "separation of concerns", which date back to the early 70s and are essential to the design and architecture of successful software systems. The principles guard against what developers call CACE: Changing Anything Changes Everything.
Without this separation, it is impossible to carry out rigorous testing of individual parts to ensure full working order of the whole. Testing allows for guarantees. It is what you do on a conveyer belt in a car factory. Each and every component is tested for integrity in order to pass strict quality controls.
Only then is the car deemed safe to go on the road. As a result, Imperial’s model is vulnerable to producing wildly different and conflicting outputs based on the same initial set of parameters. Run it on different computers and you would likely get different results. In other words, it is non-deterministic.
As such, it is fundamentally unreliable. It screams the question as to why our Government did not get a second opinion before swallowing Imperial's prescription.
Ultimately, this is a computer science problem and where are the computer scientists in the room? Our leaders did not have the grounding in computer science to challenge the ideas and so were susceptible to the academics. I suspect the Government saw what was happening in Italy with its overwhelmed hospitals and panicked.
It chose a blunt instrument instead of a scalpel and now there is going to be a huge strain on society. Defenders of the Imperial model argue that because the problem - a global pandemic - is dynamic, then the solution should share the same stochastic, non-deterministic quality.
We disagree. Models must be capable of passing the basic scientific test of producing the same results given the same initial set of parameters. Otherwise, there is simply no way of knowing whether they will be reliable.
Indeed, many global industries successfully use deterministic models that factor in randomness. No surgeon would put a pacemaker into a cardiac patient knowing it was based on an arguably unpredictable approach for fear of jeopardising the Hippocratic oath. Why on earth would the Government place its trust in the same when the entire wellbeing of our nation is at stake?

David Richards, founder and chief executive of WANdisco and Dr Konstantin Boudnik is the company's vice-president of architecture

Coding that led to lockdown was 'totally unreliable' and a 'buggy mess', say experts
By Hannah Boland and Ellie Zolfagharifard 16 May 2020 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...wn-totally-unreliable-buggy-mess-say-experts/
The Covid-19 modelling that sent Britain into lockdown, shutting the economy and leaving millions unemployed, has been slammed by a series of experts.
Professor Neil Ferguson's computer coding was derided as “totally unreliable” by leading figures, who warned it was “something you wouldn’t stake your life on".
The model, credited with forcing the Government to make a U-turn and introduce a nationwide lockdown, is a “buggy mess that looks more like a bowl of angel hair pasta than a finely tuned piece of programming”, says David Richards, co-founder of British data technology company WANdisco.
“In our commercial reality, we would fire anyone for developing code like this and any business that relied on it to produce software for sale would likely go bust.”
The comments are likely to reignite a row over whether the UK was right to send the public into lockdown, with conflicting scientific models having suggested people may have already acquired substantial herd immunity and that Covid-19 may have hit Britain earlier than first thought. Scientists have also been split on what the fatality rate of Covid-19 is, which has resulted in vastly different models.
Up until now, though, significant weight has been attached to Imperial's model, which placed the fatality rate higher than others and predicted that 510,000 people in the UK could die without a lockdown.
It was said to have prompted a dramatic change in policy from the Government, causing businesses, schools and restaurants to be shuttered immediately in March. The Bank of England has predicted that the economy could take a year to return to normal, after facing its worst recession for more than three centuries.
The Imperial model works by using code to simulate transport links, population size, social networks and healthcare provisions to predict how coronavirus would spread. However, questions have since emerged over whether the model is accurate, after researchers released the code behind it, which in its original form was “thousands of lines” developed over more than 13 years.
In its initial form, developers claimed the code had been unreadable, with some parts looking “like they were machine translated from Fortran”, an old coding language, according to John Carmack, an American developer, who helped clean up the code before it was published online. Yet, the problems appear to go much deeper than messy coding.
Many have claimed that it is almost impossible to reproduce the same results from the same data, using the same code. Scientists from the University of Edinburgh reported such an issue, saying they got different results when they used different machines, and even in some cases, when they used the same machines.
“There appears to be a bug in either the creation or re-use of the network file. If we attempt two completely identical runs, only varying in that the second should use the network file produced by the first, the results are quite different,” the Edinburgh researchers wrote on the Github file.
After a discussion with one of the Github developers, a fix was later provided. This is said to be one of a number of bugs discovered within the system. The Github developers explained this by saying that the model is “stochastic”, and that “multiple runs with different seeds should be undertaken to see average behaviour”.
However, it has prompted questions from specialists, who say “models must be capable of passing the basic scientific test of producing the same results given the same initial set of parameters...otherwise, there is simply no way of knowing whether they will be reliable.”
It comes amid a wider debate over whether the Government should have relied more heavily on numerous models before making policy decisions.
Writing for telegraph.co.uk, Sir Nigel Shadbolt, Principal at Jesus College, said that “having a diverse variety of models, particularly those that enable policymakers to explore predictions under different assumptions, and with different interventions, is incredibly powerful”.
Like the Imperial code, a rival model by Professor Sunetra Gupta at Oxford University works on a so-called "SIR approach" in which the population is divided into those that are susceptible, infected and recorded. However, while Gupta made the assumption that 0.1pc of people infected with coronavirus would die, Ferguson placed that figure at 0.9pc.
That led to a dramatic reversal in government policy from attempting to build “herd immunity” to a full-on lockdown. Experts remain baffled as to why the government appeared to dismiss other models.
“We’d be up in arms if weather forecasting was based on a single set of results from a single model and missed taking that umbrella when it rained,” says Michael Bonsall, Professor of Mathematical Biology at Oxford University.
Concerns, in particular, over Ferguson’s model have been raised, with Konstantin Boudnik, vice-president of architecture at WANdisco, saying his track record in modelling doesn’t inspire confidence.
In the early 2000s, Ferguson’s models incorrectly predicted up to 136,000 deaths from mad cow disease, 200 million from bird flu and 65,000 from swine flu.
“The facts from the early 2000s are just yet another confirmation that their modeling approach was flawed to the core,” says Dr Boudnik. “We don't know for sure if the same model/code was used, but we clearly see their methodology wasn't rigourous then and surely hasn't improved now.”
A spokesperson for the Imperial College COVID19 Response Team said: “The UK Government has never relied on a single disease model to inform decision-making. As has been repeatedly stated, decision-making around lockdown was based on a consensus view of the scientific evidence, including several modelling studies by different academic groups.
“Multiple groups using different models concluded that the pandemic would overwhelm the NHS and cause unacceptably high mortality in the absence of extreme social distancing measures. Within the Imperial research team we use several models of differing levels of complexity, all of which produce consistent results. We are working with a number of legitimate academic groups and technology companies to develop, test and further document the simulation code referred to. However, we reject the partisan reviews of a few clearly ideologically motivated commentators.
“Epidemiology is not a branch of computer science and the conclusions around lockdown rely not on any mathematical model but on the scientific consensus that COVID-19 is a highly transmissible virus with an infection fatality ratio exceeding 0.5pc in the UK.”
They can feck off trying to throw Fortran under the bus

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If they are going to only ever trust code which produces the same set of results given the same data, on the same machines (irrelevant), they’re going to have serious trouble adopting machine learning techniques in future.

I can very well believe it’s shit code and has a whole number of problems but not accepting it because it’s stochastic is stupid as hell given the fact that the real world scenarios it is attempting to model are infinitely stochastic. The fact it is stochastic makes it more useful rather than less as you can learn information from it’s predictable behaviour rather than its predictable outputs.
Correct.

But also, for reproducibility reasons it's standard practice to set the random seed directly in any function that relies on some sort of random sampling or probability generation. I'm surprised that wasn't done, but like you said, reproducibility matters less than what you learn from running a simulation many times and aggregating the results (which should converge every time if the model was constructed correctly)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Of all the economic consequences I can’t even begin to think how we “fix” this for places whose economy is in any way reliant on tourism. How the hell do you keep a steady flow of tourists coming in, while still trying to keep the virus out?
And how do you keep animals protected whose survival is financed in part based on tourists paying to go see them, thus keeping them safe from poachers? This is yet another trouble lying in the weeds.

RedTiger

Half mast
https://www.livemint.com/news/world...claim-bangladeshi-doctors-11589718389637.html

“We have got astounding results. Out of 60 COVID-19 patients, all recovered as the combination of the two drugs were applied," said Professor Dr Md Tarek Alam, the head of medicine department at private Bangladesh Medical College Hospital (BMCH).

Alam, a reputed clinician in Bangladesh, said a frequently used antiprotozoal medicine called Ivermectin in a single dose with Doxycycline, an antibiotic, yielded virtually the near-miraculous result in curing the patients with COVID-19.
They haven't written a paper yet but their hospital is respected, although It could go the way of other drug combinations that have been touted over the months

The streets have been as busy as normal for about two weeks yet today my province of 500k+ posted 4 new cases. If there was any meaningful transmission from outdoors the cases would have started to increase by now.

Last week cafes opened up for takeaway only so that will be another big step and we will see the results in the coming days, then from tomorrow everything reopens. Hopefully cases remain low but I will be giving restaurants and hairdressers a miss for a couple of weeks yet.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Unless there is some weird safety issue I'm pretty confident that one or more of the 70+ current vaccine development programs will produce a viable virus. We know 100% for sure a The when is harder to predict. I heard that some trials are already producing large quantities if vaccine for a large scale human trial in anticipation of the current trial succeeding. If this works out a large scale human trial might start as early as September. Of course this is the best case scenario and things can and do go wrong in medical trials.

But this seems promising https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/...otent-protective-response-pre-clinical-trials
there’s plenty of PR and spin coming from the labs working on vaccines which is understandable because they want to attract and keep funding. However, it is just PR and has to viewed as such. Vaccines for corona viruses are rarely ever found, maybe because there was never the required investment but also maybe because it is very very hard.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yea but once we open up the country the infections will just go up.

Surely Leo and Tony understand this. I think they do but at the same time they have to reopen the country. Hopefully not everything will be reopened.
They’ll be well aware of the risk of opening up. Just like every other government. Unlike some governments, ours seems to take the advice of scientists very seriously. The upside of having a medic in the hot seat.

I never thought we’d eliminate the virus completely. Perhaps we still won’t. It would be cool to crush it but also creates a different set of problems. Our economy needs tourism and I’m starting to think it’s in our long term interest to have the virus bubbling away amongst younger, healthy people. Gradually building up that herd immunity.

Fecks knows, though. A virologist who I really trust has started using the #get2zero hashtag and has said that that’s the best way out. Get us down to zero cases first, and then we can think about keeping out imported cases.

djembatheking

The streets have been as busy as normal for about two weeks yet today my province of 500k+ posted 4 new cases. If there was any meaningful transmission from outdoors the cases would have started to increase by now.

Last week cafes opened up for takeaway only so that will be another big step and we will see the results in the coming days, then from tomorrow everything reopens. Hopefully cases remain low but I will be giving restaurants and hairdressers a miss for a couple of weeks yet.
Brilliant news , made up for you all in Italy . Lets hope it is a sign for everywhere else.